Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Testament - Souls of Black

Go down 
+15
the sentinel
Leatherface
manny
Thrasher73
Gilbert
MetalGuy71
metalinmyveins
Fat Freddy
ZombieHavoc
Required Fields
Lari
80s Metal Lady
Troublezone
candlemass
19 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

Testament - Souls of Black - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Testament - Souls of Black   Testament - Souls of Black - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 17, 2019 12:18 pm

Troublezone wrote:
Souls of Black is still one of my favorite Testament albums. It may have been slightly rushed in production, but it is a great follow up to Practice What You Preach.
Slightly rushed sounds about right. But the songs are still great. 

Seven Days of May seems like a topical song again what with Hong Kong and all.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

PostSubject: Re: Testament - Souls of Black   Testament - Souls of Black - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 17, 2019 12:20 pm

Great song.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40553

PostSubject: Re: Testament - Souls of Black   Testament - Souls of Black - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 17, 2019 12:36 pm

Yep. It's a great release as far as I'm concerned.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: Testament - Souls of Black   Testament - Souls of Black - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 17, 2019 6:55 pm

I think producer Michael Wagner did a good job considering the time he had to work with. My only complaint is that there is a bit too much reverb on Eric’s rhythm guitar, but it works beautifully for Alex’s leads! The solos are dialed in perfect (nice and clear with great harmonics).
Back to top Go down
Rami Airola
Metal student
Metal student
Rami Airola

Number of posts : 175

PostSubject: Re: Testament - Souls of Black   Testament - Souls of Black - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 18, 2019 5:40 am

Lari wrote:

Great song.

I almost came to shit on the album, but yeah that's a great song!

I've given Testament about three chances but I haven't been able to get into the band at all.
Souls of Black was the first album I bought from them and I was really disappointed. I recall it had only one good moment or a song (could've been The Legacy). Later I've bought two more albums with hopes to start to dig the band but they all have left me cold. It's the same with Exodus for some reason. Both are classic thrash bands I haven't been able to get myself to like even though thrash is my favorite genre.

This song is really really good though! Maybe I should spin it again. It's been several years I tried it the last time.
Back to top Go down
anthrax_fan
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
anthrax_fan

Number of posts : 442

PostSubject: Re: Testament - Souls of Black   Testament - Souls of Black - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 28, 2019 5:23 am

I like this album a lot , just don´t feel it´s that much "thrash" , Testament was getting tamer with each album since "Practice" and this one is good , but lacks the proper "thrash" side of some early records , but I like it .
Back to top Go down
anthrax_fan
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
anthrax_fan

PostSubject: Re: Testament - Souls of Black   Testament - Souls of Black - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 28, 2019 5:37 am

I revisiting it , certainly a classic , but sounds less "thrashy" then say , New Order , at the same time more varied and melodic . Testament fans usually prefer stuff from the first 2 on the set list but this album is a classic . Only BAD (IMO) TesTamenT album was "Demonic" .
Back to top Go down
anthrax_fan
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
anthrax_fan

PostSubject: Re: Testament - Souls of Black   Testament - Souls of Black - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 28, 2019 5:49 am

Some people used to call this type of Metal "Whiffle Thrash" back then . It sounds great , but lacks the speed and intensity of more traditional Thrash Metal , but it´s O.K. . Both "Practice" and "Souls of Black" where seemingly higly influenced by Metallica´s AJFA .
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: Testament - Souls of Black   Testament - Souls of Black - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 28, 2019 6:59 am

I think the Practice and Souls albums compliment each other. Practice was heavier, but Souls was darker.
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28617

PostSubject: Re: Testament - Souls of Black   Testament - Souls of Black - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 30, 2019 11:26 am

Lari wrote:

Great song.

Indeed.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28617

PostSubject: Re: Testament - Souls of Black   Testament - Souls of Black - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 30, 2019 11:27 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
I haven't listened to Souls of Black in a while, but I seem to remember it started off with a couple of really strong cuts and then kinda sputtered to a halt around the halfway mark. I suppose if we were still in the cassette era I would've said "side one was really good, but side 2 was weak."

"Malpractice", which is on the second half of the album, is probably my favorite song from the album. Awesome song, and easily one of the top three most underrated Testament songs of all time.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
anthrax_fan
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
anthrax_fan

PostSubject: Re: Testament - Souls of Black   Testament - Souls of Black - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 30, 2019 4:19 pm

Both Souls of Black and The Ritual are fantastic and highly underrated TesTamenT records ...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Testament - Souls of Black   Testament - Souls of Black - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Testament - Souls of Black
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2