Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Testament - Souls of Black

Go down 
+15
the sentinel
Leatherface
manny
Thrasher73
Gilbert
MetalGuy71
metalinmyveins
Fat Freddy
ZombieHavoc
Required Fields
Lari
80s Metal Lady
Troublezone
candlemass
19 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
candlemass
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

Number of posts : 2096

Testament - Souls of Black Empty
PostSubject: Testament - Souls of Black   Testament - Souls of Black Icon_minitimeMon Aug 15, 2016 10:15 pm

Ult did not give this a very good review, and even stated the band felt like they were rushed into this...I don't see a problem, think it's great! headbanger

Last edited by candlemass on Tue Aug 16, 2016 2:29 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/fragilegothband
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: Testament - Souls of Black   Testament - Souls of Black Icon_minitimeTue Aug 16, 2016 1:18 am

It was my first Testament album. It has a dark vibe and nice solos. With a proper remix/remaster, it could sound a lot better.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Testament - Souls of Black   Testament - Souls of Black Icon_minitimeTue Aug 16, 2016 1:21 am

Favorite songs on Souls of Black:

Falling Fast
Souls of Black
The Legacy
One Man's Fate
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Testament - Souls of Black   Testament - Souls of Black Icon_minitimeTue Aug 16, 2016 1:23 am

candlemass wrote:
Ult did not give this a very good review, and even stated the band felt like they were rushed into this...I don't see a problem, think it's great! headbanger

Oh, BTW...

It's "Souls of Black", not Souls of the Black...

Last edited by Troublezone on Tue Aug 16, 2016 2:21 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
80s Metal Lady
Metal master
Metal master
80s Metal Lady

Number of posts : 896

PostSubject: Re: Testament - Souls of Black   Testament - Souls of Black Icon_minitimeTue Aug 16, 2016 2:06 am

I really like this album. I bought it on cassette when it first came out and still have it. I remember watching "The Legacy" video on Headbanger's Ball. I have a lot of the tracks off this album on rotation on an mp3 player, so I hear them a lot. My favorites are "Face in the Sky," "Falling Fast," and "Seven Days of May."
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40553

PostSubject: Re: Testament - Souls of Black   Testament - Souls of Black Icon_minitimeTue Aug 16, 2016 6:14 am

This was my first Testament as well and I think it's terrific. Lots of really good tunes on it, Seven Days Of May being the standout.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

PostSubject: Re: Testament - Souls of Black   Testament - Souls of Black Icon_minitimeTue Aug 16, 2016 6:19 am

I think it's really good. Almost as good as the first three. Testament had an incredible run and it didn't stop with this album.
Back to top Go down
candlemass
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

PostSubject: Re: Testament - Souls of Black   Testament - Souls of Black Icon_minitimeTue Aug 16, 2016 7:24 am

Troublezone wrote:
candlemass wrote:

Oh, BTW...

It's "Souls of Black", not Souls of the Black...

Well, it should be!
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28617

PostSubject: Re: Testament - Souls of Black   Testament - Souls of Black Icon_minitimeTue Aug 16, 2016 7:24 am

It's one of my favorite albums of theirs.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

Number of posts : 2348

PostSubject: Re: Testament - Souls of Black   Testament - Souls of Black Icon_minitimeTue Aug 16, 2016 9:16 am

Damn that's spooky. I fired up this album a few minutes for the first time in a while and was thinking maybe I'd start a thread about it because I love it and it always seemed like others didn't.

I definitely think it's obvious it's an album that came out in a post-And Justice For All world, which is probably why I like it so much.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: Testament - Souls of Black   Testament - Souls of Black Icon_minitimeTue Aug 16, 2016 10:35 am

I haven't listened to Souls of Black in a while, but I seem to remember it started off with a couple of really strong cuts and then kinda sputtered to a halt around the halfway mark. I suppose if we were still in the cassette era I would've said "side one was really good, but side 2 was weak."

I've read interviews with the band that say even they weren't crazy about this record - but since the preceding Practice What You Preach had done very well for them, the label was rushing them to crank out a new one and get back out on the road as quickly as possible, and they didn't have time to bring their "A" game.

I saw Testament live for the first time when they were supporting the Souls album, opening for Judas Priest's Painkiller tour. They seemed totally out of their element on a huge arena stage. Having to go on right before Rust in Peace era Megadeth didn't help either, because Deth totallly smoked everybody that night, including JP.

Testament was much better a few years later when I saw them again in a small club supporting the LOW album.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: Testament - Souls of Black   Testament - Souls of Black Icon_minitimeTue Aug 16, 2016 11:22 am

candlemass wrote:

The band has freely admitted this effort was rushed. They were wanting to be a part of the bill for the European Clash of the Titans tour in the fall of 1990. The album is fine, but it just doesn't rank anywhere close to the first three.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Testament - Souls of Black   Testament - Souls of Black Icon_minitimeTue Aug 16, 2016 11:34 am

For what it's worth, I can immediately name and hum the melody of quite a few songs from Testament's first 3 albums.

The only song I can remember from Souls of Black without looking at the track list is the actual song 'Souls of Black'. I'd need a refresher to see if anything else jumps out at me. Cool cover art though.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

Number of posts : 2348

PostSubject: Re: Testament - Souls of Black   Testament - Souls of Black Icon_minitimeTue Aug 16, 2016 11:37 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
I'd need a refresher to see if anything else jumps out at me.

Testament - Souls of Black Exorcistd
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

PostSubject: Re: Testament - Souls of Black   Testament - Souls of Black Icon_minitimeTue Aug 16, 2016 1:34 pm

I remember enjoying the only spin i gave it over 2 years ago. Will pull it out again for a fresh spin over the weekend.
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Testament - Souls of Black   Testament - Souls of Black Icon_minitimeWed Aug 17, 2016 2:31 am

I like it ok. I still like Practice and the New Order over this one though. It has a darker vibe than practice did.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Testament - Souls of Black   Testament - Souls of Black Icon_minitimeWed Aug 17, 2016 7:17 am

I like the album but the songs are not very memorable
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

PostSubject: Re: Testament - Souls of Black   Testament - Souls of Black Icon_minitimeWed Aug 17, 2016 8:45 am

I find them memorable. And very good.

Yet I agree Practise What You Preach and New Order are better.

Souls of Black is different enough and yet similar enough. I think "Practise" was already so good at what it was trying to be, you couldn't really go further in that direction.
Back to top Go down
Leatherface
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Leatherface

Number of posts : 19229

PostSubject: Re: Testament - Souls of Black   Testament - Souls of Black Icon_minitimeWed Aug 17, 2016 1:19 pm

Good album. I really like the song "The Legacy".
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/rickcaudill2
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

PostSubject: Re: Testament - Souls of Black   Testament - Souls of Black Icon_minitimeWed Aug 17, 2016 2:36 pm

Funny thing is that, every time one of our favourite bands is about to release new material, most of us end up revisiting its earlier catalogue in anticipation. I've played 3 testament cds so far.
Back to top Go down
candlemass
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

PostSubject: Re: Testament - Souls of Black   Testament - Souls of Black Icon_minitimeWed Aug 17, 2016 9:10 pm

I like this one better than "Practice", just behind "The New Order", then "Legacy." Not a very big Testament fan, I have those four and "Ritual."
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: Testament - Souls of Black   Testament - Souls of Black Icon_minitimeWed Aug 17, 2016 10:33 pm

TBH I haven't heard this one in a while. The only tune I remember is "The Legacy."
Back to top Go down
Glower
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Glower

Number of posts : 3219

PostSubject: Re: Testament - Souls of Black   Testament - Souls of Black Icon_minitimeSat Nov 16, 2019 10:14 pm

The singer sounds like a young James Hetfield. The release sounds close to a Metallica release.
I don’t mind that, by the way. The lead guitar solos are scrumptious ! So clear and clean.
Aggressive and wild and disdainful ! At the height of a party, have this in the background !
Back to top Go down
Mglaffas81
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Mglaffas81

Number of posts : 2256

PostSubject: Re: Testament - Souls of Black   Testament - Souls of Black Icon_minitimeSun Nov 17, 2019 11:15 am

Testament are one of the few thrash bands I listen to at least semi-regularly - I own Practice What You Preach, Souls of Black, The Ritual and Formation of Damnation and really like all of them.

Funny FF mentioned how Megadeth blew Priest and Testament off the stage - I've seen them twice, first at Priest Feast (with Testament) and I thought they were by far the weakest, Testament blew them away - I saw them last summer opening for Priest and this time 'round they were just awful - just a big, muddy wall of noise and an even more non-existent vocal-performance from Dave than back in '09, which was also bad.

Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Testament - Souls of Black   Testament - Souls of Black Icon_minitimeSun Nov 17, 2019 12:02 pm

Souls of Black is still one of my favorite Testament albums. It may have been slightly rushed in production, but it is a great follow up to Practice What You Preach.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Testament - Souls of Black   Testament - Souls of Black Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Testament - Souls of Black
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next