Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Favorite Track from Van Halen's Debut

Go down 
+22
journeyman
MetalGuy71
Glower
James B.
glassprison
tohostudios
Wrecked Neck
Boris2008
the sentinel
Wurthless
chewie
bgsully
Troublezone
akeldama
nevermore
Witchfinder
Fat Freddy
MoonChild
Thrasher73
MetallicSeminarian
corplhicks
26 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Greatest Track on Van Halen's Debut
Runnin' With the Devil
Favorite Track from Van Halen's Debut - Page 2 Vote_lcap16%Favorite Track from Van Halen's Debut - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 16% [ 5 ]
Eruption
Favorite Track from Van Halen's Debut - Page 2 Vote_lcap6%Favorite Track from Van Halen's Debut - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 6% [ 2 ]
You Really Got Me
Favorite Track from Van Halen's Debut - Page 2 Vote_lcap0%Favorite Track from Van Halen's Debut - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Favorite Track from Van Halen's Debut - Page 2 Vote_lcap16%Favorite Track from Van Halen's Debut - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 16% [ 5 ]
I'm the One
Favorite Track from Van Halen's Debut - Page 2 Vote_lcap3%Favorite Track from Van Halen's Debut - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 3% [ 1 ]
Jamie's Cryin'
Favorite Track from Van Halen's Debut - Page 2 Vote_lcap6%Favorite Track from Van Halen's Debut - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 6% [ 2 ]
Atomic Punk
Favorite Track from Van Halen's Debut - Page 2 Vote_lcap22%Favorite Track from Van Halen's Debut - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 22% [ 7 ]
Feel Your Love Tonight
 6% [ 2 ]
Little Dreamer
Favorite Track from Van Halen's Debut - Page 2 Vote_lcap3%Favorite Track from Van Halen's Debut - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 3% [ 1 ]
Ice Cream Man
Favorite Track from Van Halen's Debut - Page 2 Vote_lcap9%Favorite Track from Van Halen's Debut - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 9% [ 3 ]
On Fire
Favorite Track from Van Halen's Debut - Page 2 Vote_lcap13%Favorite Track from Van Halen's Debut - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 13% [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 32

AuthorMessage
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

Favorite Track from Van Halen's Debut - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorite Track from Van Halen's Debut   Favorite Track from Van Halen's Debut - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue May 31, 2016 12:09 pm

'Ain't Talkin Bout Love' got the vote, however, the one/two punch of 'Eruption' right into 'You Really Got Me' was mind blowing the first hundreds of times I heard it. Still is actually.

Not a bad tune on there though.

Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Track from Van Halen's Debut   Favorite Track from Van Halen's Debut - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue May 31, 2016 12:15 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
'Ain't Talkin Bout Love' got the vote, however, the one/two punch of 'Eruption' right into 'You Really Got Me' was mind blowing the first hundreds of times I heard it. Still is actually.

Not a bad tune on there though.

I still have to hear those two together. I hated how the Best of Birth Worlds comp opened with Eruption but went straight into one of the new (quite awful) tunes. It's enough to actually derail my entire day haha.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Track from Van Halen's Debut   Favorite Track from Van Halen's Debut - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue May 31, 2016 12:25 pm

Yea, those 2 tracks are forever linked together in my mind. 'Eruption' without 'You Really Got Me' is like an Asian massage without the happy ending.

Since I was just a wee lad when that album came out, I can only imagine what guys must've thought when they heard 'Eruption' for the first time. Heads were exploding for sure.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Track from Van Halen's Debut   Favorite Track from Van Halen's Debut - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue May 31, 2016 12:30 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:

Since I was just a wee lad when that album came out, I can only imagine what guys must've thought when they heard 'Eruption' for the first time. Heads were exploding for sure.

I am reading a very entertaining book about the early days of VH ("Van Halen Rising: How a Southern California Backyard Party Band Saved Heavy Metal") and it sez that yep, Ed was blowing audience's minds for several years with that solo, way before he committed it to tape.

George Lynch and Tracy G (later of Dio) both describe seeing him play it at early VH gigs and having an out of body experience, i.e. "What the @#$% is this? What the @#$% is he doing? How the @#$% is he doing it? How the @#$% can *I* learn to do it too?" Laughing very hard

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Track from Van Halen's Debut   Favorite Track from Van Halen's Debut - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue May 31, 2016 12:38 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:

I am reading a very entertaining book about the early days of VH ("Van Halen Rising: How a Southern California Backyard Party Band Saved Heavy Metal") and it sez that yep, Ed was blowing audience's minds for several years with that solo, way before he committed it to tape.

George Lynch and Tracy G (later of Dio) both describe seeing him play it at early VH gigs and having an out of body experience, i.e. "What the @#$% is this? What the @#$% is he doing? How the @#$% is he doing it? How the @#$% can *I* learn to do it too?" Laughing very hard

Yea, I've also heard that back in the early days, Eddie would play that with his back to the audience so they couldn't see what he was doing. Turns out, people couldn't figure it out when he faced them either. Razz

Metal master
Metal master
journeyman

Number of posts : 883

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Track from Van Halen's Debut   Favorite Track from Van Halen's Debut - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue May 31, 2016 10:36 pm

Eruption. An incredible album I never get tired of.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Track from Van Halen's Debut   Favorite Track from Van Halen's Debut - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 01, 2016 12:47 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:

Yea, I've also heard that back in the early days, Eddie would play that with his back to the audience so they couldn't see what he was doing. Turns out, people couldn't figure it out when he faced them either. Razz

Even the earlier stuff before he started tapping was wtf. And all the tab books I've seen can't seem to get his lead work right.

Btw Keith how is that book? I just noticed it at the book store. I've read Everybody Wants Some twice now, getting hungry for more.
Back to top Go down
mr.electric39
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mr.electric39

Number of posts : 1828

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Track from Van Halen's Debut   Favorite Track from Van Halen's Debut - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 02, 2016 10:53 am

Feel Your Love Tonight
Back to top Go down
http://www.whitethronereviews.blogspot.com
brokentulsa
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
brokentulsa

Number of posts : 1779

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Track from Van Halen's Debut   Favorite Track from Van Halen's Debut - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 02, 2016 2:17 pm

On Fire!
I got this when it first came out..I have owned and played several copies of the vinyl white..Now I have a new 180 gram vinyl I am working on..Love this album..
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Track from Van Halen's Debut   Favorite Track from Van Halen's Debut - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 02, 2016 3:32 pm

Quote :
Btw Keith how is that book? I just noticed it at the book store. I've read Everybody Wants Some twice now, getting hungry for more.

I just finished it the other day... it was great! Very enjoyable read with a lot of good stories. Plus it inspired me to fill in the gaps in my early VH collection next time I go out CD scrounging. Very Happy

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Glower
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Glower

Number of posts : 3219

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Track from Van Halen's Debut   Favorite Track from Van Halen's Debut - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 03, 2016 10:13 am

Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Track from Van Halen's Debut   Favorite Track from Van Halen's Debut - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 03, 2016 1:08 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Quote :

I just finished it the other day... it was great! Very enjoyable read with a lot of good stories. Plus it inspired me to fill in the gaps in my early VH collection next time I go out CD scrounging. Very Happy

Very cool thx, me gonna get a copy next week.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Track from Van Halen's Debut   Favorite Track from Van Halen's Debut - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 03, 2016 1:24 pm

^^ Cool man. I think you'll dig it.

Fun fact that I learned: Gene Simmons is widely credited with "discovering" VH but in fact he kinda stumbled across them by accident. The night he first saw VH live in an L.A. club, he was actually there to see the headlining band "The Boyz" (feat. a pre-Dokken George Lynch) cuz he had an interest in possibly managing/producing them.

However, VH utterly blew George & co. off the stage that night, and Gene was so bowled over by them that he left The Boyz in the dust and went after VH instead.

...that story might actually be common knowledge among VH fandom for all I know, but it was the first I'd ever heard it. Laughing very hard

Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Track from Van Halen's Debut   Favorite Track from Van Halen's Debut - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 05, 2016 8:56 am

I think "Runnin' With the Devil"???
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Track from Van Halen's Debut   Favorite Track from Van Halen's Debut - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 05, 2016 10:13 am

I could be wrong but I remember the cassette having a different track listing (regarding the placement of "On Fire") than the CD. I only have a handful of my VH tapes left, and sadly the debut is not one of them, so I cannot reference.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7632

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Track from Van Halen's Debut   Favorite Track from Van Halen's Debut - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 05, 2016 10:25 am

the sentinel wrote:
I could be wrong but I remember the cassette having a different track listing (regarding the placement of "On Fire") than the CD. I only have a handful of my VH tapes left, and sadly the debut is not one of them, so I cannot reference.

You are correct. This is the cassette track listing:

A1 Runnin' With The Devil
A2 Eruption
A3 You Really Got Me
A4 Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
A5 I'm The One
A6 On Fire
B1 Jamie's Cryin'
B2 Atomic Punk
B3 Feel Your Love Tonight
B4 Little Dreamer
B5 Ice Cream Man
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
CrookedCross
Metal novice
Metal novice
CrookedCross

Number of posts : 42

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Track from Van Halen's Debut   Favorite Track from Van Halen's Debut - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 05, 2016 2:19 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
^^ Cool man. I think you'll dig it.

Fun fact that I learned: Gene Simmons is widely credited with "discovering" VH but in fact he kinda stumbled across them by accident. The night he first saw VH live in an L.A. club, he was actually there to see the headlining band "The Boyz" (feat. a pre-Dokken George Lynch) cuz he had an interest in possibly managing/producing them.

However, VH utterly blew George & co. off the stage that night, and Gene was so bowled over by them that he left The Boyz in the dust and went after VH instead.

...that story might actually be common knowledge among VH fandom for all I know, but it was the first I'd ever heard it. Laughing very hard

Pure Gene, there! I remember a few years ago Gene trying to pass-off a story on how EVH "wanted to join KISS" due to being unhappy working with Dave...

http://www.vhnd.com/2014/03/11/kiss-vh-rumors/

Eddie's response to all this was pretty funny - "Wow!" "Not that I know of." "Unless I was so f*cked-up I don't remember...? They might have asked me...?"

http://www.vhnd.com/2014/03/14/eddie-responds-to-kiss-rumor/
Back to top Go down
Glower
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Glower

Number of posts : 3219

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Track from Van Halen's Debut   Favorite Track from Van Halen's Debut - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 21, 2016 8:27 pm

I remember reading a few books about Zep -
And how Jimmy Page did over-layers and over-dubs -
There was a lot of complexity and beauty....
The one thing about this Van Halen debut -
is the sheer ferocity of the one guitar attack -
It all seemed so fast and loose and chaotic - audibly.
Add to it all the David Lee Roth singular yells ...
Ahhyeah , ohhheee, eyeeyeeeooo...instant stardom !
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Track from Van Halen's Debut   Favorite Track from Van Halen's Debut - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Favorite Track from Van Halen's Debut
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2