Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

CD's/ Albums/ Cassettes

Go down 
+9
Required Fields
Fat Freddy
MetalGuy71
Hadley
corplhicks
manny
Witchfinder
Stender
the sentinel
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

CD's/ Albums/ Cassettes Empty
PostSubject: CD's/ Albums/ Cassettes   CD's/ Albums/ Cassettes Icon_minitimeSun May 08, 2016 12:28 pm

Basically, the stuff you put back in the bin or simply passed on for whatever reason. And of course, really wish you hadn't.

For me, the first that comes to mind is currently sitting at #2 on my Want List: Accept's Predator. I put this guy back in the bin a decade ago as I already had my hands full and I also wasn't a huge fan of the band at the time. I had always known and liked them, but only owned half their discog at the time and wasn't in a big hurry to get more. Now that $7.99 seems to mock me every time I search for it on Amazon or the Bay.

More recently would be a  Phil Lynott  "Live in Sweden 1983" CD/DVD in a small box for about $15. I wanted it but didn't want to put back the 3 Lizzy Borden discs I had in hand. And, I had already been to that same store a few days earlier and bought some new releases (when new release day was Tuesday) so I had already blown my budget. Of course, the next time I made it back there it was gone. At that time someone had been periodically selling off a few hundred Metal CD's and albums that the staff gave it's own section to and called it "That Guy's Stuff," so suffice it to say, there was a ton more I wanted that got snapped up pretty quickly. In fact, that night, my best bud purchased about a dozen Rock Candy re masters of bands I barely knew of simply because they were part of this collection and much cheaper than the normal price.

Anyway, what have you all got, HoM.
Back to top Go down
Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

Number of posts : 6557

PostSubject: Re: CD's/ Albums/ Cassettes   CD's/ Albums/ Cassettes Icon_minitimeSun May 08, 2016 2:03 pm

I passed up a copy of saint vitus 'born too late' it was $6 bucks or something at the record shop in town. I can't even remember what cds I got instead haha. I've since got a copy, but you never forget when you should have bought something at the time..

Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7611

PostSubject: Re: CD's/ Albums/ Cassettes   CD's/ Albums/ Cassettes Icon_minitimeSun May 08, 2016 3:37 pm

Keel - The Final Frontier - I saw this in a Media Play back in the mid-90s and I didn't pick it up because I wasn't much of a Keel fan. I wish I had bought it and sold it for the outrageous prices it was going for a couple of years later.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

PostSubject: Re: CD's/ Albums/ Cassettes   CD's/ Albums/ Cassettes Icon_minitimeSun May 08, 2016 8:48 pm

Witchfinder wrote:
Keel - The Final Frontier - I saw this in a Media Play back in the mid-90s and I didn't pick it up because I wasn't much of a Keel fan.  I wish I had bought it and sold it for the outrageous prices it was going for a couple of years later.

For a while, that was my Holy Grail. It's funny, the self titled from the following year is going for big bucks these days too and I bought that for next to nothing years back. I actually have vivid memories of buying that on cassette when it came out.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: CD's/ Albums/ Cassettes   CD's/ Albums/ Cassettes Icon_minitimeSun May 08, 2016 9:49 pm

I used to see Keel 'The Final Frontier' and their self titled album dirt cheap, but would pass it up. Can't believe how much money those two releases go for.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: CD's/ Albums/ Cassettes   CD's/ Albums/ Cassettes Icon_minitimeSun May 08, 2016 11:56 pm

Anymore, if I see an album go for pennies, I snag it just in case it ever peaks out. Hell, I bought Slayer's Divine Intervention back in the day just for this reason.
Back to top Go down
Hadley
Metal master
Metal master

Number of posts : 991

PostSubject: Re: CD's/ Albums/ Cassettes   CD's/ Albums/ Cassettes Icon_minitimeMon May 09, 2016 8:11 am

Biggest regret was a stack of first pressings (or at least early pressings) of Alice Cooper's first 3 albums (pretties for you, easy action, love it to death) and a bunch of Zappa albums on vinyl at a thrift store. I passed them by for some reason, thinking i could pick them up next week, only to go back a few days later to see them all gone.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: CD's/ Albums/ Cassettes   CD's/ Albums/ Cassettes Icon_minitimeMon May 09, 2016 9:52 am

Seeing Steve Whitman's post-KIX band Funny Money in the used bins. I never gave them the time of day. But now that I want them, they're hard to come by at a reasonable price.

The last KIX album before their reunion, Show Business, was another one that I'd see all the time. I was finally able to score a copy a few month ago for under $10, but that one was going for stupid amounts for awhile there too.

Allot of hair bands in general now seem to garner much higher prices than their worth, when I used to see them all the time in the mid-to-late-90's when you couldn't give them away.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37639

PostSubject: Re: CD's/ Albums/ Cassettes   CD's/ Albums/ Cassettes Icon_minitimeMon May 09, 2016 10:42 am

Sometime in the early 90s I came across a CD of X-Sinner's Get It - one of my favorite Christian hard rock/metal albums - in a used shop.

It was even the hard-to-find "secular" version on A&M Records, with the orange logo "graffiti" cover instead of the more familiar "group photo" cover released to the Christian market on Pakaderm Records.

...however, like a moron, I put it back for "next time" because I already had a pile of other CDs in my hand, and I reasoned that "my cassette copy is still in good shape."

Naturally, there was no "next time"... because the next time I visited the disc was long gone, and Get It remains the Holy Grail of my CD want list to this very day. If only I'd known that that would be the first and last time I would ever see a copy of that CD "in the wild." Needless to say I've been kicking myself for that bonehead decision for 20+ years now.

D'oh!! Steempy, you eeeee-diot!!

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: CD's/ Albums/ Cassettes   CD's/ Albums/ Cassettes Icon_minitimeMon May 09, 2016 11:07 am

I remember seeing a copy of Panter's Far Beyond Driven with the original "drill bit in the bung-hole" cover in a used shop and thought it was some weird bootleg, so I passed it up. This was before the interwebby days, so I had no idea it was an alternate cover.

Not that I'm eager to have such a cover in my collection, but it's probably a pretty valuable rarity these days. Heck, even if I did buy it back then, I'm pretty sure I would have sold it off by now. Smile

See it here if you're so inclined... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Far_Beyond_Driven#/media/File:Farbeyonddrivenoriginal.PNG

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37639

PostSubject: Re: CD's/ Albums/ Cassettes   CD's/ Albums/ Cassettes Icon_minitimeMon May 09, 2016 11:22 am

Quote :
Allot of hair bands in general now seem to garner much higher prices than their worth, when I used to see them all the time in the mid-to-late-90's when you couldn't give them away.

Yup, I remember going into a Sam Goody store (remember those?) in the early 90s and their cut out bin (remember those?) was overflowing with Hericane Alice's Tear the House Down (remember them?), still in the long boxes, no less. We're talking at least fifty copies, easy...and I didn't even buy one!! Haha! Of course, if I knew what I know now, I would've bought the whole pile and I coulda made some coin!!

Similarly, I came across Dirty, But Well Dressed by the one-and-done hair band Beau Nasty a year or two ago for a buck at a thrift shop. I cackled slightly because I knew it had become something of a pricey collectible. For a buck it's a keeper, but I certainly wouldn't have paid the st00pid $$ for it that it seems to command on line.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28430

PostSubject: Re: CD's/ Albums/ Cassettes   CD's/ Albums/ Cassettes Icon_minitimeMon May 09, 2016 7:41 pm

I have always liked Dismember, but it wasn't until after they disbanded that I owned any of their music. Now I wish I bought it sooner, because their albums go for absurd prices. I do own half of their albums, but the rest go for absurd prices.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

PostSubject: Re: CD's/ Albums/ Cassettes   CD's/ Albums/ Cassettes Icon_minitimeMon May 09, 2016 11:12 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Quote :

Yup, I remember going into a Sam Goody store (remember those?) in the early 90s and their cut out bin (remember those?) was overflowing with Hericane Alice's Tear the House Down (remember them?), still in the long boxes, no less. We're talking at least fifty copies, easy...and I didn't even buy one!! Haha! Of course, if I knew what I know now, I would've bought the whole pile and I coulda made some coin!!

Similarly, I came across Dirty, But Well Dressed by the one-and-done hair band Beau Nasty a year or two ago for a buck at a thrift shop. I cackled slightly because I knew it had become something of a pricey collectible. For a buck it's a keeper, but I certainly wouldn't have paid the st00pid $$ for it that it seems to command on line.

Ha! I waited out both of those and finally scored the Hericane Alice last summer for less than $14 shipped from Amazon. I love it. I would have to look up what I paid for the Beau Nasty, but if I recall correctly, it wasn't much more than $10. I had that one on cassette for years until it finally crapped out.

A decade ago, it seemed like a lot of the Hair Metal stuff was really up there in price. I remember my best bud selling the first 2 Lillian Axe discs for like $60-$75 each. Then a lot of it dropped, and now it seems to be rising again.
Back to top Go down
Hadley
Metal master
Metal master

Number of posts : 991

PostSubject: Re: CD's/ Albums/ Cassettes   CD's/ Albums/ Cassettes Icon_minitimeSat May 28, 2016 1:57 am

Speaking of hair metal rarities i passed up, Blue Tears S/T (Ult's FAVORITE album Razz ) on cd. My reasoning was that i had the cassette copy. Now i wish i could find that one.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: CD's/ Albums/ Cassettes   CD's/ Albums/ Cassettes Icon_minitimeSat May 28, 2016 9:19 am

In the 90's I remember seeing tons and tons of bootleg CD's of various bands I loved and always passed it by, mainly because the prices were so outrageous. Still regret not picking up some of them.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

PostSubject: Re: CD's/ Albums/ Cassettes   CD's/ Albums/ Cassettes Icon_minitimeSat Jun 04, 2016 11:24 pm

manny wrote:
In the 90's I remember seeing tons and tons of bootleg CD's of various bands I loved and always passed it by,  mainly because the prices were so outrageous. Still regret not picking up some of them.

Manny, it seems as though boots (well, live ones anyway) are going for stoopid money again. A few years back, I was picking up Priest, Kiss, Maiden, etc. (one disc, full set list) for under $15 shipped. Now, when I look on the bay, it seems like a 2 disc show of Priest or Maiden is like $40-$50! Crazy.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

PostSubject: Re: CD's/ Albums/ Cassettes   CD's/ Albums/ Cassettes Icon_minitimeSat Jun 04, 2016 11:30 pm

the sentinel wrote:
Basically, the stuff you put back in the bin or simply passed on for whatever reason. And of course, really wish you hadn't.

For me, the first that comes to mind is currently sitting at #2 on my Want List: Accept's Predator. I put this guy back in the bin a decade ago as I already had my hands full and I also wasn't a huge fan of the band at the time. I had always known and liked them, but only owned half their discog at the time and wasn't in a big hurry to get more. Now that $7.99 seems to mock me every time I search for it on Amazon or the Bay.

More recently would be a  Phil Lynott  "Live in Sweden 1983" CD/DVD in a small box for about $15. I wanted it but didn't want to put back the 3 Lizzy Borden discs I had in hand. And, I had already been to that same store a few days earlier and bought some new releases (when new release day was Tuesday) so I had already blown my budget. Of course, the next time I made it back there it was gone. At that time someone had been periodically selling off a few hundred Metal CD's and albums that the staff gave it's own section to and called it "That Guy's Stuff," so suffice it to say, there was a ton more I wanted that got snapped up pretty quickly. In fact, that night, my best bud purchased about a dozen Rock Candy re masters of bands I barely knew of simply because they were part of this collection and much cheaper than the normal price.

Anyway, what have you all got, HoM.

A little update as I remembered what I wrote about the Phil Lynott box set. I actually found it at the same store last Friday night. It simply was moved to another spot in the store and was returned to its spot with the rest of the Thin Lizzy discs. Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good.
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9878

PostSubject: Re: CD's/ Albums/ Cassettes   CD's/ Albums/ Cassettes Icon_minitimeSat Dec 10, 2016 11:38 pm

I remember holding metal church blessing in disguise in my hands over 9 years ago at a record shop in paris and putting it back on the shelves, simply because i had already bought other stuff. Came back the next day and it was gone. Still looking for a copy until this day.

In 2007 i held grave digger's rheingold in my hands at a record store in norway, then put it back stupidly. Didn't come across another copy until last month.

As for accept predator, i missed it in 2003 and still regret not buying it that day.
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

PostSubject: Re: CD's/ Albums/ Cassettes   CD's/ Albums/ Cassettes Icon_minitimeSun Feb 26, 2017 7:55 am

Gilbert wrote:
I remember holding metal church blessing in disguise in my hands over 9 years ago at a record shop in paris and putting it back on the shelves, simply because i had already bought other stuff. Came back the next day and it was gone.  Still looking for a copy until this day.

In 2007 i held grave digger's rheingold in my hands at a record store in norway, then put it back stupidly. Didn't come across another copy until last month.

As for accept predator, i missed it in 2003 and still regret not buying it that day.

Finally got me a copy of predator. Can't be any happier.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39514

PostSubject: Re: CD's/ Albums/ Cassettes   CD's/ Albums/ Cassettes Icon_minitimeSun Feb 26, 2017 9:30 am

Gilbert wrote:
Gilbert wrote:
I remember holding metal church blessing in disguise in my hands over 9 years ago at a record shop in paris and putting it back on the shelves, simply because i had already bought other stuff. Came back the next day and it was gone.  Still looking for a copy until this day.

Finally got me a copy of predator.  Can't be any happier.

Been looking for that one for a long time. That is one CD that's tough to come by.
Back to top Go down
mlotek
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mlotek

Number of posts : 1226

PostSubject: Re: CD's/ Albums/ Cassettes   CD's/ Albums/ Cassettes Icon_minitimeTue Feb 28, 2017 5:16 pm

007 wrote:
Gilbert wrote:
Gilbert wrote:

Finally got me a copy of predator.  Can't be any happier.

Been looking for that one for a long time. That is one CD that's tough to come by.

been there , done that, holding some releases in a record store and marveling at it, but cringing  at the insane prices.  
Thing is, i was working lots of overtime and could "afford it", but what bugged me was that the local HMV was making a giant killing on it.
Why should some record store clerks, and a corporate giant, be made to feel superior to me, when they are only providing a SERVICE?
Unknown to me then, this was at the same time that the "mp3" was rising and CD sales started dying. (Good ! I never wanted tapes and vinyl to disappear in the first place!)
I am always behind the times.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: CD's/ Albums/ Cassettes   CD's/ Albums/ Cassettes Icon_minitimeTue Feb 28, 2017 6:40 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Seeing Steve Whitman's post-KIX band Funny Money in the used bins. I never gave them the time of day. But now that I want them, they're hard to come by at a reasonable price.

The last KIX album before their reunion, Show Business, was another one that I'd see all the time. I was finally able to score a copy a few month ago for under $10, but that one was going for stupid amounts for awhile there too.

Wow.  Somehow I missed this thread.  I have 3 Funny Money albums - the S/T, Skin To Skin and Stick It.  I had no idea those were going for insane amounts.  I also bought Show Business from a used bin a long time ago for 4.99.  I can't believe Amazon has a used copy going for 28.99.

The Toho Alternative Retirement Plan continues to grow in value apparently.

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: CD's/ Albums/ Cassettes   CD's/ Albums/ Cassettes Icon_minitimeTue Feb 28, 2017 6:43 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Quote :

Another one in my retirement fund that I didn't know was worth anything.

One of these days I need to look up every one of my 3300 or so CDs and see what the damn things are worth.  I might need to increase the rider covering them that I have on my homeowners insurance.

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: CD's/ Albums/ Cassettes   CD's/ Albums/ Cassettes Icon_minitimeWed Mar 01, 2017 10:13 am

tohostudios wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:

Wow.  Somehow I missed this thread.  I have 3 Funny Money albums - the S/T, Skin To Skin and Stick It.  I had no idea those were going for insane amounts.  I also bought Show Business from a used bin a long time ago for 4.99.  I can't believe Amazon has a used copy going for 28.99.

The Toho Alternative Retirement Plan continues to grow in value apparently.

I took Funny Money of my want-list. I got tired of looking for cheap copies and gave up.

Metal is Forever
Gilbert

PostSubject: Re: CD's/ Albums/ Cassettes   CD's/ Albums/ Cassettes Icon_minitimeMon Oct 16, 2017 12:40 pm

So a friend offered 50$ for my copy of accept predator! Is it worth that much in you side of the world? I would not sell my copy no matter what.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: CD's/ Albums/ Cassettes   CD's/ Albums/ Cassettes Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

CD's/ Albums/ Cassettes
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: General Forums :: Collector's Corner-
Jump to: