Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Cassettes being eaten by the machine sucks!

Go down 
+11
jstate
Fat Freddy
bigjtink
kmorg
Olafsto
Stender
DeathCult
the sentinel
mc666
Eyesore
Required Fields
15 posters
AuthorMessage
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28617

Cassettes being eaten by the machine sucks! Empty
PostSubject: Cassettes being eaten by the machine sucks!   Cassettes being eaten by the machine sucks! Icon_minitimeSun Nov 15, 2009 5:38 pm

My Razor - Custom Killing cassette has bit the dust. Sad

The tape reel got jammed in the machine, and when I tried to get it out, the reel split in half.

It's a shame as the album is out of print, and a legitimate CD reissue for it will probably never, ever happen. Sad
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Cassettes being eaten by the machine sucks!   Cassettes being eaten by the machine sucks! Icon_minitimeSun Nov 15, 2009 5:47 pm

If you've got the skills, you can wrap a piece of Scotch tape (or tape of a similar sort) around the two pieces and effectively splice them together. It won't sound good when it hits that spot, but it doesn't get jammed. I did it countless times as a kid.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Cassettes being eaten by the machine sucks!   Cassettes being eaten by the machine sucks! Icon_minitimeSun Nov 15, 2009 5:48 pm

Six-Pack Thunder Dong wrote:
If you've got the skills, you can wrap a piece of Scotch tape (or tape of a similar sort) around the two pieces and effectively splice them together. It won't sound good when it hits that spot, but it doesn't get jammed. I did it countless times as a kid.

Will the use of a claw help that?
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Cassettes being eaten by the machine sucks!   Cassettes being eaten by the machine sucks! Icon_minitimeSun Nov 15, 2009 5:55 pm

Spec_In_Rock wrote:
Six-Pack Thunder Dong wrote:
Will the use of a claw help that?
Yes, claws may confound the issue.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Cassettes being eaten by the machine sucks!   Cassettes being eaten by the machine sucks! Icon_minitimeSun Nov 15, 2009 6:50 pm

you're obviously not adverse to downloading. just torrent yourself another copy.

Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28617

PostSubject: Re: Cassettes being eaten by the machine sucks!   Cassettes being eaten by the machine sucks! Icon_minitimeSun Nov 15, 2009 6:53 pm

I have the album on MP3. I do prefer to own physical copies, however.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: Cassettes being eaten by the machine sucks!   Cassettes being eaten by the machine sucks! Icon_minitimeSun Nov 15, 2009 8:10 pm

It does indeed suck. I had to pull to the side of the road on Tuesday and do some surgery with my pocket knife on WASP's Live In The Raw cassette.
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

PostSubject: Re: Cassettes being eaten by the machine sucks!   Cassettes being eaten by the machine sucks! Icon_minitimeSun Nov 15, 2009 9:45 pm

Well, theres always boots
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com
Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

Number of posts : 6557

PostSubject: Re: Cassettes being eaten by the machine sucks!   Cassettes being eaten by the machine sucks! Icon_minitimeMon Nov 16, 2009 12:48 am

Yeah that does suck man. When I was real young there used to be a internet radio channel that played surf music and I would record it all on cassttes. Alot of those got munched. Sucks.
Back to top Go down
Olafsto
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Olafsto

Number of posts : 2522

PostSubject: Re: Cassettes being eaten by the machine sucks!   Cassettes being eaten by the machine sucks! Icon_minitimeMon Nov 16, 2009 10:30 am

Cassettes suck.!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/olafsto
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Cassettes being eaten by the machine sucks!   Cassettes being eaten by the machine sucks! Icon_minitimeMon Nov 16, 2009 12:26 pm

Cassettes being eaten by the machine sucks! 775710

Metal novice
Metal novice
bigjtink

Number of posts : 73

PostSubject: Re: Cassettes being eaten by the machine sucks!   Cassettes being eaten by the machine sucks! Icon_minitimeMon Nov 16, 2009 12:55 pm

Ha, yes I have repaired many an 8 track and cassette with tape. But I dont own any cassettes any more and I only have 1 8-track. Van Halen 1. I dont know why I kept it.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: Cassettes being eaten by the machine sucks!   Cassettes being eaten by the machine sucks! Icon_minitimeMon Nov 16, 2009 1:06 pm

This is why the few cassettes that I still own are mainly museum pieces. I couldn't tell ya the last time I played any of 'em.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: Cassettes being eaten by the machine sucks!   Cassettes being eaten by the machine sucks! Icon_minitimeMon Nov 16, 2009 4:51 pm

I still have all my cassettes. Many years back I thought about getting rid of them, but then for some stupid reason I got sentimental about keeping them. Now they just live in a closet wasting space.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Cassettes being eaten by the machine sucks!   Cassettes being eaten by the machine sucks! Icon_minitimeMon Nov 16, 2009 6:41 pm

Do people still purchase cassettes anymore from the likes of Ebay ? I'm a load of stuff around here from the 80's and 90's that never get looked at.
Back to top Go down
Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

Number of posts : 6557

PostSubject: Re: Cassettes being eaten by the machine sucks!   Cassettes being eaten by the machine sucks! Icon_minitimeMon Nov 16, 2009 9:03 pm

Locky wrote:
Do people still purchase cassettes anymore from the likes of Ebay ? I'm a load of stuff around here from the 80's and 90's that never get looked at.

Yeah I buy demos and cassettes all the time.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Cassettes being eaten by the machine sucks!   Cassettes being eaten by the machine sucks! Icon_minitimeTue Nov 17, 2009 12:28 pm

Locky wrote:

I dunno bout eBay but every time the wife and I have a yard sale (which is every other year or so) I always put out a heap of my old tapes (usually stuff I've upgraded to CD since the last yard sale!) and someone always comes and snaps'em up. I sold a big pile of'em to this old hippie looking dude once who was so thrilled by his score that he was practically doing a happy dance, he was like "This is GREAT stuff! Why are you getting rid of all of these?" and I sez "Well, they've got these newfangled things now called CDs... you ever heard of'em??" Laughing

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: Cassettes being eaten by the machine sucks!   Cassettes being eaten by the machine sucks! Icon_minitimeTue Nov 17, 2009 1:02 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
This is why the few cassettes that I still own are mainly museum pieces. I couldn't tell ya the last time I played any of 'em.

ditto to that. I am not sure i have anything to play a cassette on anymore...

Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Cassettes being eaten by the machine sucks!   Cassettes being eaten by the machine sucks! Icon_minitimeTue Nov 17, 2009 1:03 pm

exact33 wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:

ditto to that. I am not sure i have anything to play a cassette on anymore...

I still have a cassette deck in my Jeep but it's been so long since I've used it, I'm not even sure if it would work anymore.

Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Cassettes being eaten by the machine sucks!   Cassettes being eaten by the machine sucks! Icon_minitimeTue Nov 17, 2009 1:09 pm

I have few cassettes and was finally able to play them again and they sound terrible. I have replaced a few of them but I am holding to few that I have that I have not found used such as Gillan and Gorky (Dorky ) Park tape, that I do not even remember what they sound like.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Cassettes being eaten by the machine sucks!   Cassettes being eaten by the machine sucks! Icon_minitimeTue Nov 17, 2009 2:18 pm

The only cassettes that sell on eBay are the "original demos" that retards buy from dishonest sellers. I mean, these cats will sell an "original demo" from Sentenced every week!

I have a ton of demos, and some did come with B&W artwork (often photocopied) and a blank cassette (as in no sticker or nothing written/stamped on it), but only a few of them. These eBay sellers are trying to convince people that nearly every 80s band put out demos with one-sided B&W artwork and cassettes that had nothing at all written on them.

Laaaame! But, hell, it appears to be good business. Too many dummies out there, I guess.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Cassettes being eaten by the machine sucks!   Cassettes being eaten by the machine sucks! Icon_minitimeTue Nov 17, 2009 2:43 pm

I sold off all my cassette tapes a few years ago on ebay in huge lots, about 20 at a clip. I don't remember how much I ended up with in total, but it wasn't much after deducting shipping costs & expenses. In the end though, I was just happy to get rid of 'em. I hadn't listened to most of them in years and they were just taking up space.

In hindsight, I probably could have done better if I grouped like-artists together and researched shipping costs. It was an early ebay experience for me that I've since learned from. Oh well.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stepcousin

Number of posts : 1268

PostSubject: Re: Cassettes being eaten by the machine sucks!   Cassettes being eaten by the machine sucks! Icon_minitimeWed Nov 18, 2009 10:13 pm

I remember doing open heart surgery back many years ago on my cassettes with tweezers, super glue, ball point pens, and the occasional mini-screwdriver. I did what I had to for those OOP tapes, and eventually I converted them to cdr.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cassettes being eaten by the machine sucks!   Cassettes being eaten by the machine sucks! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Cassettes being eaten by the machine sucks!
Page 1 of 1