Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Metal Massacre 14

Go down 
+11
the sentinel
Eyesore
Wargod
ultmetal
Fat Freddy
ZombieHavoc
metalken
Wurthless
Boris2008
Witchfinder
15 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7629

Metal Massacre 14 Empty
PostSubject: Metal Massacre 14   Metal Massacre 14 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 03, 2016 2:45 pm

Metal Massacre 14 Cover

Release date - 4/8/16

http://www.metalblade.com/metalmassacre/

"Primordial's Alan Averill - who compiled the Metal Massacre 14 track-listing - comments: "'Metal Massacre' is an institution that has been dormant for far too long. It served as a vital first step for many bands who are far too numerous to mention back in the early 80s. For fans, it was often the first time engaging with many of these acts, some of whom went on to become household names-- some of course didn't, but the rough and ready underground character of 'Metal Massacre' is what set it apart from other compilations back in the day.

Those old recordings captured the vitality and energy of the time: all analog hiss, rattling drums, roaring bass and feed-backing solos… No pro tools compression, cut and paste editing or triggered drums back then. You set the tape rolling and then played for your life.

It was in this spirit that I went about compiling a new 'Metal Massacre', with an old school mindset. Not the most modern sounding, but the bands that capture a more DIY underground spirit that resonates with what 'Metal Massacre' once represented.

Of course the musical climate is different, and you probably won't be listening to the next Metallica, but what is important is that this spirit does not die and that Metal Blade still supports this underground, underdog ethos.

So I give you 'Metal Massacre'! Back from the dead! Here's to the next one!"

LP track listing:
Side A
1. Metalian - "The Traveler"
2. Noctum - "Until Then Until The End"
3. Gatekeeper - "Bell Of Tarantia"
4. Assassin's Blade - "The Demented Force"
5. Cobra - "Denim Attack"
Side B
6. Stone Dagger - "The Siege Of Jerusalem"
7. Crypt Sermon - "Will Of The Ancient Call"
8. Savage Master - "The Ripper In Black"
9. Outcast - "No Tomorrow"
10. Corsair - "Brothers"

CD & Digital track listing:
1. Metalian - "The Traveler"
2. Noctum - "Until Then Until The End"
3. Gatekeeper - "Bell Of Tarantia"
4. Assassin's Blade - "The Demented Force"
5. Cobra - "Denim Attack"
6. Stone Dagger - "The Siege Of Jerusalem"
7. Crypt Sermon - "Will Of The Ancient Call"
8. Savage Master - "The Ripper In Black"
9. Outcast - "No Tomorrow"
10. Corsair - "Brothers"
11. Walpyrgus - "Cold Cold Ground"
12. Visigoth - "Final Spell"
13. Ravencult - "Into Depths"

Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40527

Metal Massacre 14 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Metal Massacre 14   Metal Massacre 14 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 03, 2016 3:33 pm

I have the series up until 12. When 13 came out I sampled it at the store playing little snippets of each track (much like the way the youtube video above does). I was not impressed and never picked it up. This one, on the other hand, sounds much better. I'd buy it.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

Metal Massacre 14 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Metal Massacre 14   Metal Massacre 14 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 03, 2016 5:22 pm

I already dig Noctum, Stone Dagger, Crypt Sermon, Savage Master & Corsair and would be interested to hear the rest.
Back to top Go down
Wurthless
Metal is Forever
Wurthless

Number of posts : 5067

Metal Massacre 14 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Metal Massacre 14   Metal Massacre 14 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 03, 2016 6:47 pm

Crypt Sermon's the only band I'm familiar with from the list, but they're killer Candlemass-esque doom. I'd be down to listen to this when it comes out.
Back to top Go down
metalken
Metal master
Metal master

Number of posts : 819

Metal Massacre 14 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Metal Massacre 14   Metal Massacre 14 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 03, 2016 8:56 pm

Cool. Looks and sounds like they went about putting this together with a proper mindset.
Back to top Go down
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

Number of posts : 2348

Metal Massacre 14 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Metal Massacre 14   Metal Massacre 14 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 04, 2016 9:34 am

This is awesome.

Even though MM got pretty weak at the end, I agree it's an institution. The bands I'm familiar with here, I dig. I'm sure there are others in that line up that I will dig as well. I'm all for this.

Cool to see Stone Dagger included.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Metal Massacre 14 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Metal Massacre 14   Metal Massacre 14 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 04, 2016 12:13 pm

ZombieHavoc wrote:
This is awesome.

Even though MM got pretty weak at the end, I agree it's an institution. The bands I'm familiar with here, I dig. I'm sure there are others in that line up that I will dig as well. I'm all for this.

Cool to see Stone Dagger included.

Stone Dagger is excellent.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37865

Metal Massacre 14 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Metal Massacre 14   Metal Massacre 14 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 04, 2016 12:19 pm

Strangely enough, I have never owned a single volume of the Metal Massacre series. I was never big on compilation albums, I guess. (shrugs)

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

Number of posts : 2348

Metal Massacre 14 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Metal Massacre 14   Metal Massacre 14 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 04, 2016 12:23 pm

Witchfinder wrote:
Stone Dagger is excellent.

Agreed. I hope we get some more tunes from them. That definitely likes to keep busy, it seems.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

Metal Massacre 14 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Metal Massacre 14   Metal Massacre 14 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 04, 2016 4:40 pm

I still have a few more Metal Massacre comps to review for NLTM. I'm so friggin' behind on reviews...

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wargod

Number of posts : 4272

Metal Massacre 14 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Metal Massacre 14   Metal Massacre 14 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 04, 2016 8:48 pm

I ordered the vinyl.

Wargod
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

Metal Massacre 14 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Metal Massacre 14   Metal Massacre 14 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 05, 2016 9:42 pm

I have volumes 1 through 11. Not even sure I knew there was a 12 and 13. This new one looks good, though. I'm surprised it's not a bunch of new school stuff.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Metal Massacre 14 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Metal Massacre 14   Metal Massacre 14 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 05, 2016 10:04 pm

Wargod wrote:
I ordered the vinyl.

Wargod

Same here.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Metal Massacre 14 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Metal Massacre 14   Metal Massacre 14 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 05, 2016 10:05 pm

Eyesore wrote:
I have volumes 1 through 11. Not even sure I knew there was a 12 and 13. This new one looks good, though. I'm surprised it's not a bunch of new school stuff.

12 came out in 1995 and is terrible. 13 came out in 2006 and was merely a sampler of current Metal Blade artists. It was a big pile of boring.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Metal Massacre 14 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Metal Massacre 14   Metal Massacre 14 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 05, 2016 10:15 pm

Witchfinder wrote:
Eyesore wrote:

12 came out in 1995 and is terrible.  13 came out in 2006 and was merely a sampler of current Metal Blade artists. It was a big pile of boring.

Those sound like the kind of compilation I expected this new one to be.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

Metal Massacre 14 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Metal Massacre 14   Metal Massacre 14 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 05, 2016 10:35 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Strangely enough, I have never owned a single volume of the Metal Massacre series. I was never big on compilation albums, I guess. (shrugs)

I am in that boat with ya, bro. I don't even recall seeing them in stores so maybe we didn't get them much on the East Coast? Or maybe I just never checked out the comps sections much?
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Metal Massacre 14 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Metal Massacre 14   Metal Massacre 14 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 05, 2016 10:56 pm

I forget where I got them, but I got them all at once. Maybe Sentinel Steel? It was years ago and someone was selling them all (or 1 through 12, anyway) as heavily discounted sets.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Metal Massacre 14 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Metal Massacre 14   Metal Massacre 14 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 06, 2016 12:33 am

Eyesore wrote:
I forget where I got them, but I got them all at once. Maybe Sentinel Steel? It was years ago and someone was selling them all (or 1 through 12, anyway) as heavily discounted sets.

My guess would be Sentinel Steel because that's where I got my whole set. Laughing
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26439

Metal Massacre 14 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Metal Massacre 14   Metal Massacre 14 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 06, 2016 9:10 pm

Wargod wrote:
I ordered the vinyl.

Wargod

I did too.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

Metal Massacre 14 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Metal Massacre 14   Metal Massacre 14 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 07, 2016 11:38 am

the sentinel wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:

I am in that boat with ya, bro. I don't even recall seeing them in stores so maybe we didn't get them much on the East Coast? Or maybe I just never checked out the comps sections much?

Me neither. I guess by the time I did start checking these out, I had already heard of the bands I'd be interested in.

It's cool to see them getting back on track with these though and giving some well deserved bands some recognition, even if it is for collector's sake.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37865

Metal Massacre 14 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Metal Massacre 14   Metal Massacre 14 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 07, 2016 12:57 pm

the sentinel wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:

I used to see'em in stores all the time, I'd even pick'em up and flip 'em over to see what bands were on'em occasionally, but I never pulled the trigger on one. I was probably afraid I'd end up only liking one or two bands/songs and hating the rest, which would be a waste of $$.

(When you're thirteen years old and your allowance only buys you one album per month, you don't take risks with the weird and unfamiliar, you stick to the stuff you know....  Laughing very hard )

I know that more than once I thought about picking up the first Metal Massacre volume (years after the fact) just to have Metallica's first-ever "real" album appearance in my collection, but I just never got around to it.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
metalken
Metal master
Metal master

Number of posts : 819

Metal Massacre 14 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Metal Massacre 14   Metal Massacre 14 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 08, 2016 2:35 pm

Got my copy today (not the vinyl) and I am enjoying it a ton. I played it through and not a bum track in the bunch. A ton of variety track to track and it does have that vibe from the first few releases. A great addition to the series.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

Metal Massacre 14 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Metal Massacre 14   Metal Massacre 14 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 08, 2016 3:31 pm

They should give this album out free with an online poll and sign the bands that score highest on the poll.

Assassin's Blade has that singer I liked a lot from Exciter "The Dark Command"!
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

Metal Massacre 14 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Metal Massacre 14   Metal Massacre 14 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 08, 2016 4:05 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
They should give this album out free with an online poll and sign the bands that score highest on the poll.

Assassin's Blade has that singer I liked a lot from Exciter "The Dark Command"!

I'd be struggling to choose between Crypt Sermon and Stone Dagger.
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26439

Metal Massacre 14 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Metal Massacre 14   Metal Massacre 14 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 11, 2016 10:38 am

Just waiting on my copy to arrive.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Metal Massacre 14 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Metal Massacre 14   Metal Massacre 14 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Metal Massacre 14
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next