Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Fates Warning - Night on Bröcken (1984)

Go down 
+17
James B.
Required Fields
TheGreatDuck
Leatherface
corplhicks
nevermore
Temple of Blood
Lari
Boris2008
Glower
Thrasher73
MoonChild
the sentinel
DakotaRogers
Wurthless
80s Metal Lady
21 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Favorite tune off Night on Bröcken?
'Buried Alive'
Fates Warning - Night on Bröcken (1984) Vote_lcap6%Fates Warning - Night on Bröcken (1984) Vote_rcap
 6% [ 1 ]
'The Calling'
Fates Warning - Night on Bröcken (1984) Vote_lcap22%Fates Warning - Night on Bröcken (1984) Vote_rcap
 22% [ 4 ]
'Kiss of Death'
Fates Warning - Night on Bröcken (1984) Vote_lcap6%Fates Warning - Night on Bröcken (1984) Vote_rcap
 6% [ 1 ]
'Night on Bröcken'
Fates Warning - Night on Bröcken (1984) Vote_lcap17%Fates Warning - Night on Bröcken (1984) Vote_rcap
 17% [ 3 ]
'S.E.K.' / 'Misfit'
 6% [ 1 ]
'Shadowfax'
Fates Warning - Night on Bröcken (1984) Vote_lcap0%Fates Warning - Night on Bröcken (1984) Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
'Damnation'
Fates Warning - Night on Bröcken (1984) Vote_lcap33%Fates Warning - Night on Bröcken (1984) Vote_rcap
 33% [ 6 ]
'Soldier Boy'
Fates Warning - Night on Bröcken (1984) Vote_lcap10%Fates Warning - Night on Bröcken (1984) Vote_rcap
 10% [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 18

AuthorMessage

Fates Warning - Night on Bröcken (1984) Empty
PostSubject: Fates Warning - Night on Bröcken (1984)   Fates Warning - Night on Bröcken (1984) Icon_minitimeThu Feb 18, 2016 7:39 pm

Fates Warning - Night on Bröcken (1984) 1726
Vote for your favorite song off this overlooked metal beast.

"Misfit" gets my vote, although the title track, "Damnation", "Soldier Boy", and "Buried Alive" are all worthy contenders.

Doing polls for the first four Fates Warning albums. Anyone else may take over afterwards.
Back to top Go down
80s Metal Lady
Metal master
Metal master
80s Metal Lady

Number of posts : 896

PostSubject: Re: Fates Warning - Night on Bröcken (1984)   Fates Warning - Night on Bröcken (1984) Icon_minitimeThu Feb 18, 2016 7:43 pm

Like with Queensryche, I'll need to listen to this album a few times as I'm not familiar with their discography. Any more polls and I won't be able to keep up. affraid
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Fates Warning - Night on Bröcken (1984)   Fates Warning - Night on Bröcken (1984) Icon_minitimeThu Feb 18, 2016 7:44 pm

Back to top Go down
Wurthless
Metal is Forever
Wurthless

Number of posts : 5065

PostSubject: Re: Fates Warning - Night on Bröcken (1984)   Fates Warning - Night on Bröcken (1984) Icon_minitimeThu Feb 18, 2016 10:09 pm

Damnation for sure; with Soldier Boy following close behind. I like this album, but it's mediocre compared to the f*cking majesty that comes next in their discography.
Back to top Go down
DakotaRogers
Metal master
Metal master
DakotaRogers

Number of posts : 920

PostSubject: Re: Fates Warning - Night on Bröcken (1984)   Fates Warning - Night on Bröcken (1984) Icon_minitimeThu Feb 18, 2016 10:28 pm

Wurthless wrote:
the f*cking majesty that comes next in their discography

Or so we thought... Good grief.

Fates Warning - Night on Bröcken (1984) DcXmNUq

Back to top Go down
Wurthless
Metal is Forever
Wurthless

PostSubject: Re: Fates Warning - Night on Bröcken (1984)   Fates Warning - Night on Bröcken (1984) Icon_minitimeThu Feb 18, 2016 10:33 pm

That makes the fanboy in me angry as hell, haha.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: Fates Warning - Night on Bröcken (1984)   Fates Warning - Night on Bröcken (1984) Icon_minitimeThu Feb 18, 2016 10:52 pm

Damnation, easily.
Back to top Go down
MoonChild
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 15680

PostSubject: Re: Fates Warning - Night on Bröcken (1984)   Fates Warning - Night on Bröcken (1984) Icon_minitimeFri Feb 19, 2016 1:30 am

Damnation
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Fates Warning - Night on Bröcken (1984)   Fates Warning - Night on Bröcken (1984) Icon_minitimeFri Feb 19, 2016 3:49 am

The Calling gets my vote.
Back to top Go down
Glower
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Glower

Number of posts : 3163

PostSubject: Re: Fates Warning - Night on Bröcken (1984)   Fates Warning - Night on Bröcken (1984) Icon_minitimeFri Feb 19, 2016 6:33 am

I remember seeing this particular record - in the record bin -
didn't buy it that day - but the painting always remained with me -
Great art work.
It was never in the record bin again - at the store -
Couldn't remember band's name either.....
That's the way it was back then -
you had to take a chance then and there and buy -
if not - the lp might not be around again -
so much different than today - lol -
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Fates Warning - Night on Bröcken (1984)   Fates Warning - Night on Bröcken (1984) Icon_minitimeFri Feb 19, 2016 7:28 am

I'm going to make an effort with these but I don't think that they will grab me.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39465

PostSubject: Re: Fates Warning - Night on Bröcken (1984)   Fates Warning - Night on Bröcken (1984) Icon_minitimeFri Feb 19, 2016 8:37 am

Soldier Boy
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6327

PostSubject: Re: Fates Warning - Night on Bröcken (1984)   Fates Warning - Night on Bröcken (1984) Icon_minitimeFri Feb 19, 2016 9:37 am

I never heard this. Is it worth it?

I own four Fates Warning CDs - Spectre Within, Awaken the Guardian, Perfect Symmetry and Parallels. Never even heard the others.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5702

PostSubject: Re: Fates Warning - Night on Bröcken (1984)   Fates Warning - Night on Bröcken (1984) Icon_minitimeFri Feb 19, 2016 10:26 am

I voted for the title track but then realized that I forgot about Misfit.

It's not as good as the other two albums but it's good stuff. May take a few listens to appreciate, like all Arch albums could.
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 25796

PostSubject: Re: Fates Warning - Night on Bröcken (1984)   Fates Warning - Night on Bröcken (1984) Icon_minitimeFri Feb 19, 2016 10:30 am

Damnation
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Fates Warning - Night on Bröcken (1984)   Fates Warning - Night on Bröcken (1984) Icon_minitimeFri Feb 19, 2016 11:49 am

DakotaRogers wrote:
Wurthless wrote:

Wurthless wrote:
That makes the fanboy in me angry as hell, haha.

I'm kind of the lone wolf around here when it comes to these guys and, well...that review is spot on.

I own Spectre Within and Awaken the Guardian and pull them out every once in a while to given 'em another shot. To this day, I still find them a rambling, incoherent mess, marred even further by Arch's nails-on-a-chalkboard histrionics. This is coming from a guy who enjoys both prog and USPM as much as skeeters enjoy blood. But, that's just me.
Back to top Go down
Leatherface
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Leatherface

Number of posts : 18899

PostSubject: Re: Fates Warning - Night on Bröcken (1984)   Fates Warning - Night on Bröcken (1984) Icon_minitimeFri Feb 19, 2016 12:13 pm

'Buried Alive'
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/rickcaudill2
Wurthless
Metal is Forever
Wurthless

PostSubject: Re: Fates Warning - Night on Bröcken (1984)   Fates Warning - Night on Bröcken (1984) Icon_minitimeFri Feb 19, 2016 12:25 pm

The Apparition was the first song I'd heard by them and that song is just magical... I don't really understand how someone who likes traditional & prog metal could dislike that one. Could just be my perspective blinding me.  (Razz "Point of View", anyone? haha).

I don't really see them as Maiden knock-offs, either. Arch doesn't sound much like him at all. I'd say the operatic, wailing nature of the vocals is definitely influenced by the kind of stuff Maiden were doing, but Dickinson and Arch are really apples and oranges to me. The styles of riffing and soloing are also very different.

And I'm almost offended reading that Arch's lyrics are generic/cliche, haha. Some of the coolest lines I've ever heard in metal are on Spectre and Awaken.

I will readily admit that Night on Brocken is more derivative of Maiden and NWOBHM as an album, but you can chock that up to inexperience and wearing influences on their sleeves. They quickly became darker, more original and much more interesting in the next few years.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: Fates Warning - Night on Bröcken (1984)   Fates Warning - Night on Bröcken (1984) Icon_minitimeFri Feb 19, 2016 12:26 pm

corplhicks wrote:
I own Spectre Within and Awaken the Guardian and pull them out every once in a while to given 'em another shot. To this day, I still find them a rambling, incoherent mess, marred even further by Arch's nails-on-a-chalkboard histrionics. This is coming from a guy who enjoys both prog and USPM as much as skeeters enjoy blood. But, that's just me.

The music is far from incoherent. It's a bit progressive and got more so with time. I do think their writing and arranging skills improved over time, but those vocal melodies were outstanding.

So I take it you don't listen to MF/KD or bands like Crimson Glory either because of your complete aversion to vocal histrionics?

So what are the prog and USPM albums that you think are superior to AtG and tSW?

Back to top Go down
Wurthless
Metal is Forever
Wurthless

PostSubject: Re: Fates Warning - Night on Bröcken (1984)   Fates Warning - Night on Bröcken (1984) Icon_minitimeFri Feb 19, 2016 12:28 pm

Lari wrote:
I never heard this. Is it worth it?

I own four Fates Warning CDs - Spectre Within, Awaken the Guardian, Perfect Symmetry and Parallels. Never even heard the others.

To be honest, as a casual fan, you've got the essentials. You should maybe consider getting No Exit, Inside Out, and Pleasant Shade of Grey too, if you like the Ray Alder material.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Fates Warning - Night on Bröcken (1984)   Fates Warning - Night on Bröcken (1984) Icon_minitimeFri Feb 19, 2016 1:07 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
corplhicks wrote:

The music is far from incoherent.  It's a bit progressive and got more so with time.  I do think their writing and arranging skills improved over time, but those vocal melodies were outstanding.

So I take it you don't listen to MF/KD or bands like Crimson Glory either because of your complete aversion to vocal histrionics?

So what are the prog and USPM albums that you think are superior to AtG and tSW?

It's a rambling mess to my ears. Riffs go in arbitrary directions, vocal melodies shift without any uniform attention to cadence, it's just a mess to me. Like I said, I pull these out every six months or so to give them another shot. I'm a big fan of inaccessible music that grows with each listen and reaches a rewarding transcendence. I don't achieve that with these. But I'll keep trying.

I don't mind histrionics but Arch is another world, making Diamond sound like James Taylor in comparison.

As far as who I prefer, Crimson Glory for sure, and basically any USPM band since that's one of my favorite subgenres. I can't think of any I don't like at the moment. And with prog I'm more of a Canterbury Scene or Rush or Yes kind of guy. I find those bands to have more aim in their complexity (and atmosphere) then what I get here.

Again, it's just me. I think it's fine that there's a fanbase out there who enjoy/get this group.
Back to top Go down
TheGreatDuck
Metal master
Metal master
TheGreatDuck

Number of posts : 648

PostSubject: Re: Fates Warning - Night on Bröcken (1984)   Fates Warning - Night on Bröcken (1984) Icon_minitimeFri Feb 19, 2016 3:14 pm

DakotaRogers wrote:
Wurthless wrote:

BTW I just realized there seems to be a flood of crappy reviews dissing classic albums on MA. If anyone is masochistic and wants to read something really annoying, check out the reviews from Brainded Binky and Metal_Thrash90. Especially what the latter one wrote on Thin Lizzy. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
DakotaRogers
Metal master
Metal master
DakotaRogers

Number of posts : 920

PostSubject: Re: Fates Warning - Night on Bröcken (1984)   Fates Warning - Night on Bröcken (1984) Icon_minitimeFri Feb 19, 2016 3:49 pm

TheGreatDuck wrote:
BTW I just realized there seems to be a flood of crappy reviews dissing classic albums on MA. If anyone is masochistic and wants to read something really annoying, check out the reviews from Brainded Binky and Metal_Thrash90. Especially what the latter one wrote on Thin Lizzy. Rolling Eyes

It seems spiteful and contentious more than it does anything. My personal favorite, Awaken the Guardian, received a 3% this morning.
Back to top Go down
TheGreatDuck
Metal master
Metal master
TheGreatDuck

Number of posts : 648

PostSubject: Re: Fates Warning - Night on Bröcken (1984)   Fates Warning - Night on Bröcken (1984) Icon_minitimeFri Feb 19, 2016 5:11 pm

Eh, once I posted Guardian off that album on another forum, and a guy commented that it's generic cheesy prog power, but it's catchy so it's ok.
f*cking GUARDIAN. Cheesy. Nonsense.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: Fates Warning - Night on Bröcken (1984)   Fates Warning - Night on Bröcken (1984) Icon_minitimeFri Feb 19, 2016 5:38 pm

Yeah, I mean there are SO MANY songs that sound just like "Guardian". Generic!

I have to think that these are know-it-all kids who've been listening to metal for about 5 years.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fates Warning - Night on Bröcken (1984)   Fates Warning - Night on Bröcken (1984) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Fates Warning - Night on Bröcken (1984)
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next