Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Folk Music Thread

Go down 
+10
BloodWinter
chewie
TheGreatDuck
Boris2008
muckie
MetalGuy71
corplhicks
tohostudios
Wurthless
14 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Wurthless
Metal is Forever
Wurthless

Number of posts : 5065

Folk Music Thread Empty
PostSubject: Folk Music Thread   Folk Music Thread Icon_minitimeWed Feb 17, 2016 5:36 pm

Folk is one of my favorite genres, and I imagine others here enjoy some too. I'll probably just post things I love, and stuff I'm getting into in here for anyone who is interested. And the same is encouraged of anyone else.

I'll post a couple links to get it started.

Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

Folk Music Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Folk Music Thread   Folk Music Thread Icon_minitimeWed Feb 17, 2016 6:01 pm

I can listen to stuff like that.  Not sure I'd ever buy any but I don't hate it.

On a side note, can someone enlighten me as to the difference between folk music and country music?

For instance, is this considered folk or country?
(this is one of those times where I miss S.D. I'm sure he'd have a ready answer that I'd understand)

Metal is Forever
Wurthless

Folk Music Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Folk Music Thread   Folk Music Thread Icon_minitimeWed Feb 17, 2016 6:55 pm

Honestly, that sounds like bluegrass to me. But it's definitely in that weird blurred area between folk, bluegrass and americana.

There's lots of genre tags thrown around that can become semi-interchangeable.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Folk Music Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Folk Music Thread   Folk Music Thread Icon_minitimeWed Feb 17, 2016 6:59 pm

Wurthless wrote:
Honestly, that sounds like bluegrass to me. But it's definitely in that weird blurred area between folk, bluegrass and americana.

There's lots of genre tags thrown around that can become semi-interchangeable.

I was afraid you'd say something like that.  Laughing

So it's not just metal that has all these sub-genres that blur together.  OK I'm back to "stuff I like and stuff I don't"  Razz

BTW, I only discovered that song when I started researching the Charm City Devils version of it and learned it was a cover tune.

Metal is Forever
Wurthless

Folk Music Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Folk Music Thread   Folk Music Thread Icon_minitimeWed Feb 17, 2016 7:05 pm

Yeah, every genre has fans that are really particular, which leads to resorting to the endless unnecessary classifications. It kinda blows.

But it is totally useful to an extent.

I do find folk fans to not be as butthurt about someone labeling something 'incorrectly', though. I don't see people being like, "this totally isn't americana, you f*cking poseur. it's indie-jangle-folk-core." like metal fans tend to.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Folk Music Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Folk Music Thread   Folk Music Thread Icon_minitimeWed Feb 17, 2016 7:07 pm

So now that I'm listening to it again, it's probably the mandolin and banjo that throw it into the bluegrass territory for you, right? That makes sense to me but I agree that song is definitely in a blurry area when it comes to genres.

But I don't really care because it falls in the "stuff I like" genre for me. lol!

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Folk Music Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Folk Music Thread   Folk Music Thread Icon_minitimeWed Feb 17, 2016 7:09 pm

And like I said before, I can listen to stuff like folk,bluegrass, American...whatever.

Usually before I give something like death metal or thrash the time of day. These genres usually meet my most important listening criteria: memorable melodies and decent vocals.

Metal is Forever
Wurthless

Folk Music Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Folk Music Thread   Folk Music Thread Icon_minitimeWed Feb 17, 2016 11:43 pm

tohostudios wrote:
So now that I'm listening to it again, it's probably the mandolin and banjo that throw it into the bluegrass territory for you, right? That makes sense to me but I agree that song is definitely in a blurry area when it comes to genres.

But I don't really care because it falls in the "stuff I like" genre for me. lol!

Not just the mandolin and the banjo, but the way they sound/are played. There's folk with mandolin and banjo too. That's where it gets a little shady, lol.

That's the genre that makes the most sense. I don't really tend to think of things in terms of genres anymore, just "shit I happen to listen to" most of the time, haha. my tastes have branched out into a lot of stuff I didn't imagine I'd ever like.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

Folk Music Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Folk Music Thread   Folk Music Thread Icon_minitimeThu Feb 18, 2016 11:30 am

Folk is probably my #2 genre.

Man of Constant Sorrow is an old traditional folk song, early 21st century. Bob Dylan has a great version of it. The Soggy Bottom Boys version is very much in the Bluegrass vein.

My favorite era has to be the Greenwich Village scene in the 60's--Dylan, Phil Ochs, Joan Baez, Tom Paxton, Kingston Trio, Janis Ian, Dave Van Ronk--and outside of that Woody Guthrie, Nick Drake, Pete Seeger. Sadly I allowed this genre to slide off my radar these past few years, but once in a while I'll pull something out. It's the songwriting, or the lyricism, that gets me with these guys, and how the songwriting is punctuated by minimalist instrumentation. Of course, there's not much that sounds better than acoustic guitar.

Though he's not exclusively folk, I have to throw Neil Young in there since the dude is my musical hero.

And that Westlin Winds is an amazing song!
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

Folk Music Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Folk Music Thread   Folk Music Thread Icon_minitimeThu Feb 18, 2016 11:52 am

I've always associated folk music with the 60's hippie generation and therefore never cared much for it. But that's just my hang-up. Never cared much for the banjo neither.

Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Folk Music Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Folk Music Thread   Folk Music Thread Icon_minitimeThu Feb 18, 2016 12:20 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
I've always associated folk music with the 60's hippie generation and therefore never cared much for it. But that's just my hang-up. Never cared much for the banjo neither.

You suuuuuuuure about that? Laughing
Back to top Go down
muckie
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
muckie

Number of posts : 493

Folk Music Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Folk Music Thread   Folk Music Thread Icon_minitimeThu Feb 18, 2016 12:26 pm

I'm a fan. Shawn Colvin's work got me in to the genre as a whole. Also among my collection:

The Brothers Four
The Kingston Trio
The Rooftop Singers
The Weavers
Joni Mitchell
Peter, Paul, and Mary
Pete Seeger
Simon & Garfunkel

These are the ones most beginners in the history of folk need to start off with.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

Folk Music Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Folk Music Thread   Folk Music Thread Icon_minitimeThu Feb 18, 2016 12:35 pm

corplhicks wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:

You suuuuuuuure about that? Laughing

HA!! Nice try. That Pride & Glory album is my least favorite of Zakk's endeavors. Not so much for the banjo (not that it helps), but just the whole Southern Rock-vibe of that project. Zakk's a dude from Jersey, not the swamps of the Florida delta. Laughing

This is about as much banjo as I can take...

Two icons that can do no wrong in my book.

Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Folk Music Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Folk Music Thread   Folk Music Thread Icon_minitimeThu Feb 18, 2016 12:45 pm

^^Ye have angered the Southern Rock gods, for there be none mightier than the thunder that be Pride & Glory! Razz

Although I will concede that Zakk doesn't hold a candle to Steve & Kermit.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39180

Folk Music Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Folk Music Thread   Folk Music Thread Icon_minitimeThu Feb 18, 2016 12:49 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
I've always associated folk music with the 60's hippie generation and therefore never cared much for it.

That's what I always associate folk music with. But I actually don't mind it too much. It's not something I go out of my way to listen to but if it happen to come on, I enjoy it.
Back to top Go down
Wurthless
Metal is Forever
Wurthless

Folk Music Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Folk Music Thread   Folk Music Thread Icon_minitimeThu Feb 18, 2016 6:45 pm

Some cool names have been thrown around. I listen to a broad spectrum of folk; from classic stuff like Bob Dylan, Jackson C. Frank, Nick Drake, John Martyn, Pentangle, etc. I really like Irish/Celtic influenced folk material like Dick Gaughan, Planxty, and the Chieftains, as well as the (mainly) british stuff I listed earlier.
Psychedelic folk is fun too, like Comus, Tim Buckley, and The Incredible String Band.

Neil Young is one of my favorite artists, too. Really love the archival release Live at Massey Hall 1971.

The Tallest Man on Earth (Kristian Matsson) is my one of my favorite songwriters too. People compare him, pretty annoyingly, to Bob Dylan. But he's really come into his own, and even his early material still had a lot of personality, it was just more traditional/contemporary folk in style. I don't think the dude has a bad song.

I like a lot of indie folk stuff too, though I realize it's likely not gonna be anyone's thing here, lol.

Back to top Go down
Wurthless
Metal is Forever
Wurthless

Folk Music Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Folk Music Thread   Folk Music Thread Icon_minitimeThu Feb 18, 2016 6:48 pm

muckie wrote:
I'm a fan. Shawn Colvin's work got me in to the genre as a whole. Also among my collection:

The Brothers Four
The Kingston Trio
The Rooftop Singers
The Weavers
Joni Mitchell
Peter, Paul, and Mary
Pete Seeger
Simon & Garfunkel

These are the ones most beginners in the history of folk need to start off with.

Joni Mitchell I really love. I like some Simon & Garfunkel but I prefer Paul Simon's solo material.
Haven't heard of the first 4 names you threw out. I'm familiar with Peter, Paul, and Mary but have never seriously listened to them. And Pete Seeger I never knew where to start with.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Folk Music Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Folk Music Thread   Folk Music Thread Icon_minitimeThu Feb 18, 2016 6:51 pm

I know two Peter, Paul and Mary songs:  Puff The Magic Dragon (no drug metaphors there at all...) and Leavin' On A Jet Plane.

Isn't "Paul" Noel Paul Stookey who also made a mark in the Christian music industry back in the day?

I don't really like Simon & Garfunkel's music but there's no denying they were great songwriters together. I know more of their songs than I'd care to admit...high school band directors back in my day were fond of using their music.

Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

Folk Music Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Folk Music Thread   Folk Music Thread Icon_minitimeThu Feb 18, 2016 8:05 pm

I like all kinds of folk music, being from an Irish family I was raised with it. I also love some metal with strong folk elements like Agalloch, Primordial and the very mighty Saor.

But more in keeping with the tone of this thread I dig Father John Misty, Simon & Garfunkel, Joan Baez, Neil Young, Bob Dylan and Suzanne Vega.

Also regular rock bands with folk elements like The Levellers, Flogging Molly & Edie Brickell & the New Bohemians. I also completely loved Bright Eyes I'm wide Awake it's Morning album which was pretty folky.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Folk Music Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Folk Music Thread   Folk Music Thread Icon_minitimeThu Feb 18, 2016 8:37 pm

Love the Levellers!!  But I always put them more in the "Irish-rock" category with Great Big Sea, Oysterband, Black 47 and such.

Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

Folk Music Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Folk Music Thread   Folk Music Thread Icon_minitimeThu Feb 18, 2016 8:56 pm

tohostudios wrote:
Love the Levellers!!  But I always put them more in the "Irish-rock" category with Great Big Sea, Oysterband, Black 47 and such.

Yeah but a lot of 'Irish rock' is just Irish folk & rock, I wouldn't ever dream of calling them a folk band. A bit like this album which I forgot.

Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Folk Music Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Folk Music Thread   Folk Music Thread Icon_minitimeThu Feb 18, 2016 9:05 pm

And if we're going to talk about metal bands with strong folk influences you can't leave out bands like Elvenking or Korpiklaani.  

Actually, the infusion of folk elements into rock is one of my favorite genres. I have a TON of stuff like that. From punk to metal.

Metal graduate
Metal graduate
muckie

Number of posts : 493

Folk Music Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Folk Music Thread   Folk Music Thread Icon_minitimeFri Feb 19, 2016 3:22 am

Wurthless wrote:
muckie wrote:

The Brothers Four
The Kingston Trio
The Rooftop Singers
The Weavers
Joni Mitchell
Peter, Paul, and Mary
Pete Seeger
Simon & Garfunkel

Joni Mitchell I really love. I like some Simon & Garfunkel but I prefer Paul Simon's solo material.
Haven't heard of the first 4 names you threw out. I'm familiar with Peter, Paul, and Mary but have never seriously listened to them. And Pete Seeger I never knew where to start with.

I only have Greatest Hits collections for most of these artists at the moment, but let me tell you. Pete Seeger and the Weavers played a lot of public domain, traditional folk songs. They were more like museum curators than actual songwriters, though they did pen a few notable ones with "Where Have All the Flowers Gone" being their signature, at least for Pete (who was in The Weavers along with Guthrie). I however, prefer the Kingston Trio version of that song. The one on Pete's Greatest Hits is acapella and only one and a half minutes long.

You'd be right to associate the folk movement with hippies. I must mention that the modern folk movement of the 60s was based on romanticism: fascination with back-to-basics simplicity (writers often used acoustics, good vocals and simple chords), as well as the history of how folk musicians worked together in communities before things supposedly became industrialized and 'corrupt'. Then you'll see how it managed to gain traction with the hippies, though this is sort of a revisionist interpretation of what folk and its history were really about by those who had actively established it prior to the 60s counterculture. Pete and his gang were notable by using this philosophy to create an entourage and also, the fact that there were no standardized recordings of many of these songs prior to Seeger's popularity. Being public domain works coincided with his 'everybody should share and be one' beliefs. After all, he did identify as a communist. His beliefs aside, I have some romantic tendencies to be able to sympathize with at least a few of those tenants of the folk movement, though at times I feel a lot of it was hokey. That being said, punk tried to be political in an overly abrasive, crude way, but you got to hand it to the folk musicians for accomplishing a similar cause without the need for savagery.
Back to top Go down
Wurthless
Metal is Forever
Wurthless

Folk Music Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Folk Music Thread   Folk Music Thread Icon_minitimeFri Feb 19, 2016 12:05 pm

Boris2008 wrote:
I like all kinds of folk music, being from an Irish family I was raised with it. I also love some metal with strong folk elements like Agalloch, Primordial and the very mighty Saor.

Saor is really awesome stuff. I got into that album when you recommended it a while back.

Anytime I get in a black metal mood I usually go for Panopticon, Saor, Wolves in the Throne Room, early Ulver, etc. All that atmospheric, folk influenced stuff. Traditional black metal leaves me cold usually. I really dig Primordial too, I should've assumed you like them, haha. I was about to namedrop them before I realized you listed them.

Keeping on topic with more traditional folk music, I didn't share any Tim Buckley. Dude's voice was something out of this world. And his music went from simple late 60s folk to avant-garde, psychedelic jazz influenced folk rock in the blink of an eye.

I like his son Jeff Buckley's album Grace a lot too, though I don't think I'd consider him folk. More like alternative singer/songwriter, or something along those lines. He performed the definitive version of Leonard Cohen's "Hallelujah".
Back to top Go down
TheGreatDuck
Metal master
Metal master
TheGreatDuck

Number of posts : 648

Folk Music Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Folk Music Thread   Folk Music Thread Icon_minitimeFri Feb 19, 2016 12:31 pm

Last edited by TheGreatDuck on Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Folk Music Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Folk Music Thread   Folk Music Thread Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Folk Music Thread
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next