Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

70s music thread

Go down 
+15
Witchfinder
Addy
Wurthless
akeldama
mlotek
Wargod
stepcousin
manny
ultmetal
MetalGuy71
thejokeriv
Shawn Of Fire
Fat Freddy
James B.
brokentulsa
19 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
brokentulsa
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
brokentulsa

Number of posts : 1779

70s music thread Empty
PostSubject: 70s music thread   70s music thread Icon_minitimeFri Jan 06, 2012 12:05 pm

This is a thread for some of us to talk 70s tunes and lifestyle. I personally am a huge fan of this era. This is when I first started listening and buying music with my allowance when I was a kid. I loved it all from van halen to Kool and The Gang to Cheap Trick, the Eagles, Linda Ronstadt, Bob Seger, Ted Nugent, Pat Travers, Kiss, Charlie Daniels, Elvis and everything in-between. I remember how cool music, partying, hanging out, skateboarding, Video arcades were and how simple and cool it was. Personally this is how i have returned to living today. I remember smoking grass for the first time in Jr. High. What a different time it was. I had bell bottom jeans, silk paisley shirts, 3/4 sleeve baseball jersey concert shirts and lots of 8 tracks and records. The 70s is where all glam/hair metal originated.
Back to top Go down
brokentulsa
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
brokentulsa

Number of posts : 1779

70s music thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: 70s music thread   70s music thread Icon_minitimeFri Jan 06, 2012 12:13 pm

BECAME

Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12599

70s music thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: 70s music thread   70s music thread Icon_minitimeFri Jan 06, 2012 12:53 pm

It was "normal" to listen to lots of different stuff in the 70's. I have siblings ranging from 21 to 4 1/2 years older than me. I was exposed to alot of stuff a kid wouldn't be experiencing just hanging with his own age bracket, both good and bad. Music had the most profound impact on me. My first "frankenstein drum set" at age 8 changed my life forever. My headphones and an unlimited source of vinyl from family, friends, and siblings dating partners gave me lots of play along/practice time on the stool with sticks in hand.

I also raced longboard/downhill skateboards. Did a bit of toying around with motocross. That was too expensive for the parents to contend with on a steady basis. There were lots of musicians in my neighborhood and close by towns. Southern California is/was pretty compact with towns and people. Yet, there were few drummers. (go figure) or at least ones who had good meter. I jumped from garage/keg party band(s) to a gig with older dudes at 14 years old. They were in the early 20's age range and played at clubs.

I was a great time to come of age. Raised in a biker household with Harley's parked in the living room.... Had sisters who were "REAL" hippies... Experimenting with mind altering stuff perhaps wasn't the best activity to indulge in but it gave me a different perspective that has forever changed the way I view things to this very day....all preparing me for the 80's. What a long strange trip it's been.

70s music thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: 70s music thread   70s music thread Icon_minitimeFri Jan 06, 2012 1:04 pm

An "open-minded" era and one that is sorely missed. A joyous time before music became over-categorized, pre-packaged, labeled, safe and shoved down our throats by the taste-makers that tell us what's cool and what's not. A time when Miles Davis could share the same festival stage with Jimi Hendrix and The Who...and fit right in.

Music was better for it.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37632

70s music thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: 70s music thread   70s music thread Icon_minitimeFri Jan 06, 2012 1:18 pm

I was born in '70 but didn't really start payin' attention to popular/rock music till the decade had turned. (My parents' record collection/listening habits at that time certainly weren't very inspiring, unless you were into ABBA or Olivia Newton John. Could've been worse, I suppose, they could've been into disco.)

However, the decade that gave us these bands (to name just a few) is OK in my book.

70s music thread FLO_1_HO23RAMON_196796_092

70s music thread 73145323772

70s music thread 277797

70s music thread 196057

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

70s music thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: 70s music thread   70s music thread Icon_minitimeFri Jan 06, 2012 1:28 pm

I was born in 1971, and like Freddy, did not pay much attention to music til the 80s.

BUT, there are lots of 70s albums/bands I love...

70s music thread Black_sabbath_debut_album

70s music thread Van%2BHalen

70s music thread Wish+You+Were+Here

70s music thread Kansas-Point-Of-Know-Return-Version-2-1977-Front-Cover-27864

70s music thread Kiss-Destroyer%28front%29

70s music thread 5890

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

70s music thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: 70s music thread   70s music thread Icon_minitimeFri Jan 06, 2012 2:25 pm

I remember the 70's - it's when I got into music. I was born in the summer of 69, so I was a a kid during the 70's. I live in CA during much of the 70's. First time I heard Hendrix was one of my dad's albums. He also had The Doors, but I never got into them (still not a fan). Being a kid in San Diego in 1976, you knew who KISS was. Destroyer was my first album. Had the KISS Marvel comics, the KISS lunch box, etc.... I remember friends pulling out their older siblings Yes, Led Zepplin, Fleetwood Mac, etc albums and we would give them a spin. I am the older than my brother so I was the one breaking the new ground with music.

I gravitated towards anything with a loud electric guitar and received Van Halen I as a birthday gift the year it was released.

There is some GREAT music from the 70's, a lot of I discovered later in life i.e. early Priest, Scorpions, Black Sabbath.

Personally I prefer the hard rock and metal of the 80's. As Lemmy said in his movie, you will never hear anything as good as the music you heard as teenager and I would tend to agree with that statement!

On the pop culture side of things, who could forget the Ali fights that were aired on ABC live - no pay per view for a fight back in those days! Or how big Monday Night Football was! I was lucky enough to go to a MNF game (Chargers) as a kid!!!!! Or Star Wars!!!!!!!!! How could forget waiting in line to get tickets then seeing Star Wars on the big screen as a new release!!!

And who could forget how bad things were in the mid to late 70's during the Carter years - the country was a mess, the economy was a mess, lines at the gas station, etc. Fun in the 80's was something needed after all those hard times and it showed in the TV shows, music and movies of the 80's.

Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

70s music thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: 70s music thread   70s music thread Icon_minitimeFri Jan 06, 2012 2:35 pm

I too was born in '71. My father's music collection of the 60's laid the groundwork for what I would later enjoy in life. For that I'm thankful. Good job, Pop.

However, somewhere along the line, someone or something took my father's testicles and what I was left with was the stuff of nightmares. Musically speaking of course.

70s music thread 51Fru9hdHJL._SL500_AA280_ 70s music thread EngelbertHumperdinck

70s music thread Barrymanilowthisones

70s music thread Tin-foil-abba

70s music thread 616CMj7dDxL._SL500_AA280_70s music thread 51gUx%2BlRMmL._SL500_AA300_

Is it any wonder I'm so angry? Try listeneing to this on a nightly basis while I'm just trying to play with my GI Joe's and watch Fonzie jump a shark on water skis. I was just a child. I shouldn't have been subjected to this. Noone should.

And anyone who tries to defend this aural torture, be warned. I will personally hunt you down, gut you like a salmon and choke you to death with your own intestines.

Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

70s music thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: 70s music thread   70s music thread Icon_minitimeFri Jan 06, 2012 2:48 pm

Love 70's music! Zeppelin, Sabbath, Aerosmith, Kiss, Ted Nugent, Deep Purple, Angel, Alice Cooper, Thin Lizzy, UFO, Motorhead, Molly Hatchet, Rush, Yes, Nektar, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Genesis, Pink Floyd, Blackfoot, among others are some of my favorite bands.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37632

70s music thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: 70s music thread   70s music thread Icon_minitimeFri Jan 06, 2012 2:49 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
I too was born in '71. My father's music collection of the 60's laid the groundwork for what I would later enjoy in life. For that I'm thankful. Good job, Pop.

However, somewhere along the line, someone or something took my father's testicles and what I was left with was the stuff of nightmares. Musically speaking of course.

70s music thread 51Fru9hdHJL._SL500_AA280_ 70s music thread EngelbertHumperdinck

70s music thread Barrymanilowthisones

70s music thread Tin-foil-abba

70s music thread 616CMj7dDxL._SL500_AA280_70s music thread 51gUx%2BlRMmL._SL500_AA300_

Is it any wonder I'm so angry? Try listeneing to this on a nightly basis while I'm just trying to play with my GI Joe's and watch Fonzie jump a shark on water skis. I was just a child. I shouldn't have been subjected to this. Noone should.

And anyone who tries to defend this aural torture, be warned. I will personally hunt you down, gut you like a salmon and choke you to death with your own intestines.

Laughing very hard MG, I think our parents must've shopped at the same record store. I know my Mom had a thing for ol' Englebert, and Kenny Rogers too.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

70s music thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: 70s music thread   70s music thread Icon_minitimeFri Jan 06, 2012 2:52 pm

It was a very hairy decade.

mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

70s music thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: 70s music thread   70s music thread Icon_minitimeFri Jan 06, 2012 3:15 pm

Most of the bands I love started out in the 70's or in the case of Alice Cooper, biggest success in the 70's.
Back to top Go down
stepcousin
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stepcousin

Number of posts : 1268

70s music thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: 70s music thread   70s music thread Icon_minitimeSat Jan 07, 2012 8:46 pm

The 70's are probably my favorite decade of music. I love all of it: the heavy metal and hard rock, the prog rock, the glam, the pop hits and one hit wonders, the soft rock, the folk/folk rock, the blues rock, the cheesy Jesus movement christian bands of the early 70's, the pre-disco R & B and the post-Motown sound with the afros and the glittery outfits and even disco itself.
Back to top Go down
Wargod
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wargod

Number of posts : 4272

70s music thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: 70s music thread   70s music thread Icon_minitimeSat Jan 14, 2012 2:24 pm

The 70's IMO is where it all began the 60's were all about experimenting but the 70's rocked. I was into nothing but hard rock & metal. I was more into stuff like Budgie, Babe Ruth, White Witch, Trapeze, The Groundhogs, Yesterday & Today, Montrose, Tommy Bolin, Steve Marriot, Paul Kossoff, Baker Gurvitz Army, Brownsville Station, Crack The Sky, Motorhead, Legs Diamond, UFO, BOC, Black Oak, Foghat, Starz, Scorpions, Nazareth, Detective, Uriah Heep, ELP, Yes, Judas Priest, Riot, early David Bowie, T-rex, Ron Goedert, Spirit, Bad Boy, Jimmy Mack, Moxy, Rush, Trooper, Max Webster...........and many more!

Wargod
Back to top Go down
mlotek
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mlotek

Number of posts : 1226

70s music thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: 70s music thread   70s music thread Icon_minitimeSat Jan 14, 2012 3:08 pm

In the 1970s, I only had a little AM pocket radio I shared, and thought The Beatles were a new band because they were played all the time.

Speaking of not having pay per views for sports, think it was on ABC, Saturday afternoons were great as I used to laugh watching The Harlem Globetrotters

70s music thread 1971+Fleer+Cocoa+Fuffs+Harlem+Globetrotters+%238+Mel+Davis+and+Curly+Neal

and.... every afternoon I watched
70s music thread 250px-The_Partridge_Family
Back to top Go down
akeldama
Metal is Forever
akeldama

Number of posts : 7831

70s music thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: 70s music thread   70s music thread Icon_minitimeSun Feb 05, 2012 6:56 am

The 70s is EASILY my fave decade for music, bands like Captain Beyond, Thin Lizzy, Rush, Budgie, Ultra, Toad, Sab, Zep, ZZ Top, Grateful Dead, Eagles, Seger, Petty, Stretch, Alan Parsons Project, Savoy Brown and many many others. Not to mention all the great Jazz Fusion that came out then!
Back to top Go down
Wurthless
Metal is Forever
Wurthless

Number of posts : 5065

70s music thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: 70s music thread   70s music thread Icon_minitimeSun Feb 05, 2012 1:18 pm

akeldama wrote:
The 70s is EASILY my fave decade for music, bands like Captain Beyond, Thin Lizzy, Rush, Budgie, Ultra, Toad, Sab, Zep, ZZ Top, Grateful Dead, Eagles, Seger, Petty, Stretch, Alan Parsons Project, Savoy Brown and many many others. Not to mention all the great Jazz Fusion that came out then!

Same here AK, the 70's has the best of everything.
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Number of posts : 4214

70s music thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: 70s music thread   70s music thread Icon_minitimeSun Feb 05, 2012 1:41 pm

70s music thread Bowie14

One of my favorite David Bowie albums from the 70s

I think the 70s brought some good music all in all. I was born in 74
Back to top Go down
http://rockconnection.rocksolyd.com

70s music thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: 70s music thread   70s music thread Icon_minitimeSun Feb 05, 2012 1:55 pm

It's all about the 70's for me, a good 80% or more of my favorite music came from that decade. As I've gotten older I've grown tired of 1980's music I listened to as a teenager...yet I keep discovering more and more music from the 1970's that really speaks to me.

The musical world before everything became packaged and labeled and categorized to the point of all originality being squashed to death.

P.S. - I was born in 1970, but I started listening to music rabidly when I was 3 years old. By the time I was 4 my Mother was taking me to the record store and buying albums for me. I got my first stereo at age 5 and either had the radio playing or a record spinning at all times during the day. I didn't watch cartoons, I played records.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7609

70s music thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: 70s music thread   70s music thread Icon_minitimeSun Feb 05, 2012 3:24 pm

I was born in '68 and remember the 70's well but the idea that this was some halcyon era of wonder is pure b.s. There was an unbelievable amount of crap music in that decade that was shoved down our throats. Also, labels controlled everything and we were forced to listen to what they allowed to be released. Don't kid yourselves, there is more music than ever right now and this is the golden age for the music lover.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/

70s music thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: 70s music thread   70s music thread Icon_minitimeSun Feb 05, 2012 3:34 pm

Witchfinder wrote:
I was born in '68 and remember the 70's well but the idea that this was some halcyon era of wonder is pure b.s. There was an unbelievable amount of crap music in that decade that was shoved down our throats. Also, labels controlled everything and we were forced to listen to what they allowed to be released. Don't kid yourselves, there is more music than ever right now and this is the golden age for the music lover.

The 80's were FAR worse in every conceivable way.

I would venture that there was MORE crap music in the 80's than any other decade. yes, there was crap in the 70's...but the good FAR outweighed it.

Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

70s music thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: 70s music thread   70s music thread Icon_minitimeSun Feb 05, 2012 3:38 pm

S.D. wrote:
Witchfinder wrote:

I would venture that there was MORE crap music in the 80's than any other decade. yes, there was crap in the 70's...but the good FAR outweighed it.

Well, there was MORE MUSIC released in the 80's as opposed to the 70's and therefore more crap. In the 70's, for every Sabbath there was a Bay City Rollers and a Donnie and Marie sounding like garbage. My personal favorite bands mostly hail from the 70's and my favorite musical era is probably from the mid 70's to mid 80's.

On the other hand, if Miles Davis was playing in my back yard, I would move to the front yard, so what the hell do i know?
Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Wurthless
Metal is Forever
Wurthless

Number of posts : 5065

70s music thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: 70s music thread   70s music thread Icon_minitimeSun Feb 05, 2012 3:40 pm

I'd venture to say that this is the best era to be a music lover, just because how accessible everything is. Without the internet I probably wouldn't have ever gotten into any of the music I listen to now.
There's going to be crap in every era you look at; you have to dig to find the good music.
Back to top Go down
TheGreatDuck
Metal master
Metal master
TheGreatDuck

Number of posts : 648

70s music thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: 70s music thread   70s music thread Icon_minitimeSun Feb 05, 2012 4:18 pm

Witchfinder wrote:
S.D. wrote:
Witchfinder wrote:

Well, there was MORE MUSIC released in the 80's as opposed to the 70's and therefore more crap. In the 70's, for every Sabbath there was a Bay City Rollers and a Donnie and Marie sounding like garbage. My personal favorite bands mostly hail from the 70's and my favorite musical era is probably from the mid 70's to mid 80's.

On the other hand, if Miles Davis was playing in my back yard, I would move to the front yard, so what the hell do i know?
Very Happy

Give me Bay City Rollers over any mainstream pop act of the last 15 years or so.
Or even mainstream rock, for that matter.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

70s music thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: 70s music thread   70s music thread Icon_minitimeSun Feb 05, 2012 4:22 pm

TheGreatDuck wrote:
Witchfinder wrote:
S.D. wrote:
Witchfinder wrote:

Very Happy

Give me Bay City Rollers over any mainstream pop act of the last 15 years or so.
Or even mainstream rock, for that matter.

blech
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

70s music thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: 70s music thread   70s music thread Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

70s music thread
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next