Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Best Tune on "The Number of the Beast" by Iron Maiden

Go down 
+26
James B.
MetalGuy71
Citanul
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
candlemass
the sentinel
Wurthless
Leatherface
thejokeriv
metalinmyveins
Gilbert
MoonChild
Thelemech
80s Metal Lady
Thrasher73
manny
Lari
Witchfinder
glassprison
Glower
scottmitchell74
DakotaRogers
Boris2008
MetallicSeminarian
corplhicks
30 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Invaders
Best Tune on "The Number of the Beast" by Iron Maiden Vote_lcap2%Best Tune on "The Number of the Beast" by Iron Maiden Vote_rcap
 2% [ 1 ]
Children of the Damned
Best Tune on "The Number of the Beast" by Iron Maiden Vote_lcap7%Best Tune on "The Number of the Beast" by Iron Maiden Vote_rcap
 7% [ 3 ]
The Prisoner
Best Tune on "The Number of the Beast" by Iron Maiden Vote_lcap2%Best Tune on "The Number of the Beast" by Iron Maiden Vote_rcap
 2% [ 1 ]
22 Acacia Ave.
Best Tune on "The Number of the Beast" by Iron Maiden Vote_lcap9%Best Tune on "The Number of the Beast" by Iron Maiden Vote_rcap
 9% [ 4 ]
The Number of the Beast
Best Tune on "The Number of the Beast" by Iron Maiden Vote_lcap14%Best Tune on "The Number of the Beast" by Iron Maiden Vote_rcap
 14% [ 6 ]
Run to the Hills
Best Tune on "The Number of the Beast" by Iron Maiden Vote_lcap14%Best Tune on "The Number of the Beast" by Iron Maiden Vote_rcap
 14% [ 6 ]
Gangland
Best Tune on "The Number of the Beast" by Iron Maiden Vote_lcap0%Best Tune on "The Number of the Beast" by Iron Maiden Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Total Eclipse
 2% [ 1 ]
Hallowed be Thy Name
Best Tune on "The Number of the Beast" by Iron Maiden Vote_lcap49%Best Tune on "The Number of the Beast" by Iron Maiden Vote_rcap
 49% [ 21 ]
Total Votes : 43

AuthorMessage
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

Best Tune on "The Number of the Beast" by Iron Maiden Empty
PostSubject: Best Tune on "The Number of the Beast" by Iron Maiden   Best Tune on "The Number of the Beast" by Iron Maiden Icon_minitimeSat Feb 13, 2016 1:27 pm

Number of the Beast

Best Tune on "The Number of the Beast" by Iron Maiden The_number_of_the_beast

Recorded at Battery Studios, London, Jan-Feb 1982
Released 22 Mar 1982
Produced by Martin Birch

Bruce Dickinson - vocals
Dave Murray – guitar
Adrian Smith – guitar
Steve Harris – bass guitar
Clive Burr – drums

Tunes

Invaders
Children of the Damned
The Prisoner
22 Acacia Ave.
The Number of the Beast
Run to the Hills
Gangland
Total Eclipse
Hallowed be Thy Name

Good luck on this one! Quite possibly the greatest heavy metal album of all time (hyperbole be damned). I have to go with Hallowed be Thy Name, one of the strongest and most memorable Maiden cuts that I always find myself humming.

Note: I threw in Total Eclipse for the hell of it. I'm kind of with the band on this one; Total Eclipse is far stronger to me than Gangland. It's a killer tune.
Back to top Go down
MetallicSeminarian
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

Number of posts : 1698

PostSubject: Re: Best Tune on "The Number of the Beast" by Iron Maiden   Best Tune on "The Number of the Beast" by Iron Maiden Icon_minitimeSat Feb 13, 2016 2:15 pm

Hallowed Be Thy Name.

I love both Invaders and Gangland, two that many seem to dismiss. On the other hand, neither 22 Acacia Ave nor Total Eclipse have ever done much for me.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Best Tune on "The Number of the Beast" by Iron Maiden   Best Tune on "The Number of the Beast" by Iron Maiden Icon_minitimeSat Feb 13, 2016 2:53 pm

Oh I don't know! Probably between Hallowed be thy Name and Children of the Damned.

But, I'm sorely tempted to vote for one that I don't really think will get very many votes, for IMHO the wrong damn reasons and that's 

Okay people like us had clocked up 100,000 listens to this before our 20th birthday and by now we are all truly, truly sick of it but it's hard to forget that this staggering record was heavy enough to be loved by even the grouchiest metal fan, accessible enough to become a staple of MTV at a time when many bands were softening their sound and look in search of airplay and catchy enough to be sneakily sung along to by your mum (well my mum anyway) To get that balance right takes a stroke of genius, want proof? Look at all the bands who got it horribly wrong.

It was also the song that demonstrated that they had outgrown the NWOBHM scene and were heading for big things fast!
Back to top Go down
DakotaRogers
Metal master
Metal master
DakotaRogers

Number of posts : 920

PostSubject: Re: Best Tune on "The Number of the Beast" by Iron Maiden   Best Tune on "The Number of the Beast" by Iron Maiden Icon_minitimeSat Feb 13, 2016 3:11 pm

Went with the dank "Invaders".
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9047

PostSubject: Re: Best Tune on "The Number of the Beast" by Iron Maiden   Best Tune on "The Number of the Beast" by Iron Maiden Icon_minitimeSat Feb 13, 2016 3:25 pm

One of the best albums ever! This is a hard choice between Number of the Beast and Run to the Hills...

But Run to the Hills is the song that got me into Iron Maiden, so that has to be it. To me, that's Metal's song.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39631

PostSubject: Re: Best Tune on "The Number of the Beast" by Iron Maiden   Best Tune on "The Number of the Beast" by Iron Maiden Icon_minitimeSat Feb 13, 2016 3:37 pm

Hard to choose on this one. This is one of the greatest ones to ever be released. For me it was a toss up between the title track and Run To The Hills. I went with the title track.
Back to top Go down
Glower
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Glower

Number of posts : 3175

PostSubject: Re: Best Tune on "The Number of the Beast" by Iron Maiden   Best Tune on "The Number of the Beast" by Iron Maiden Icon_minitimeSat Feb 13, 2016 3:54 pm

I have to admit - I never bought an Iron Maiden release.
Obviously I heard of them...but none of my metal friends cranked them -
looking back now, we had W.A.S.P in common - incredibly enough
It was the same with Megadeth, never bought their material -
but now have recently bought 4-5 releases of theirs -
" Killers " got major props - might as well start from the beginning -
Also, thought Vincent Price was the intro voice to 'Number" - wrong !
Back to top Go down
glassprison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
glassprison

Number of posts : 2959

PostSubject: Re: Best Tune on "The Number of the Beast" by Iron Maiden   Best Tune on "The Number of the Beast" by Iron Maiden Icon_minitimeSat Feb 13, 2016 4:02 pm

Again, very hard to choose, but I went with "Hallowed Be Thy Name." "Children of the Damned" was a close second.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Best Tune on "The Number of the Beast" by Iron Maiden   Best Tune on "The Number of the Beast" by Iron Maiden Icon_minitimeSat Feb 13, 2016 5:19 pm

DakotaRogers wrote:
Went with the dank "Invaders".

Say whaaaaaaaaaat, son?!

I actually really like Invaders. Even more than Gangland. I think it's vastly underappreciated.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7613

PostSubject: Re: Best Tune on "The Number of the Beast" by Iron Maiden   Best Tune on "The Number of the Beast" by Iron Maiden Icon_minitimeSat Feb 13, 2016 5:27 pm

Hallowed Be Thy Name.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6337

PostSubject: Re: Best Tune on "The Number of the Beast" by Iron Maiden   Best Tune on "The Number of the Beast" by Iron Maiden Icon_minitimeSat Feb 13, 2016 5:44 pm

Hallowed Be Thy Name would be a good choice for Best Maiden Song Ever. I voted for that.

I also think Invaders is a great track. If you look at their album tracklists chronologically, then that'd be their last NWOBHM song. After that, they transcended the sub-genre.

Number of the Beast, the song, was probably the first Maiden song I ever heard. I still think it's amazing.

Great album. Nice variety, a great listen. Stands the test of time. No filler. I even like Gangland. Why would anyone think there's something wrong with this song?
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Best Tune on "The Number of the Beast" by Iron Maiden   Best Tune on "The Number of the Beast" by Iron Maiden Icon_minitimeSat Feb 13, 2016 5:52 pm

Lari wrote:
Hallowed Be Thy Name would be a good choice for Best Maiden Song Ever. I voted for that.

I also think Invaders is a great track. If you look at their album tracklists chronologically, then that'd be their last NWOBHM song. After that, they transcended the sub-genre.

Number of the Beast, the song, was probably the first Maiden song I ever heard. I still think it's amazing.

Great album. Nice variety, a great listen. Stands the test of time. No filler. I even like Gangland. Why would anyone think there's something wrong with this song?

I don't think there's anything wrong with it, it's a good song and I rarely skip it. For me, it's just underwhelming compared to the rest of the album. Even the band regrets choosing Total Eclipse over Gangland for the B-side (although they also dislike Invaders, which I consider very good for the reasons you state).
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Best Tune on "The Number of the Beast" by Iron Maiden   Best Tune on "The Number of the Beast" by Iron Maiden Icon_minitimeSat Feb 13, 2016 5:57 pm

Hallowed be Thy Name
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Best Tune on "The Number of the Beast" by Iron Maiden   Best Tune on "The Number of the Beast" by Iron Maiden Icon_minitimeSat Feb 13, 2016 6:20 pm

Hallowed be thy Name! Children of the Damned would be close.
Back to top Go down
DakotaRogers
Metal master
Metal master
DakotaRogers

Number of posts : 920

PostSubject: Re: Best Tune on "The Number of the Beast" by Iron Maiden   Best Tune on "The Number of the Beast" by Iron Maiden Icon_minitimeSat Feb 13, 2016 10:41 pm

corplhicks wrote:
I actually really like Invaders. Even more than Gangland. I think it's vastly underappreciated.

I actually know a lot of people who wish it wasn't on the album period. Just look at that thread we had on here not too long ago.

Nutjobs, I swear.
Back to top Go down
80s Metal Lady
Metal master
Metal master
80s Metal Lady

Number of posts : 896

PostSubject: Re: Best Tune on "The Number of the Beast" by Iron Maiden   Best Tune on "The Number of the Beast" by Iron Maiden Icon_minitimeSat Feb 13, 2016 11:48 pm

Gotta go with "Hallowed Be Thy Name" and it looks like I'm with the vast majority. Such an impressive song both musically and lyrically. I remember writing the lyrics to that song in Caligraphy class in junior high and my very religious teacher asked me why I chose to write such a thing. Because "Life down there is just a strange illusion," lol.
Back to top Go down
80s Metal Lady
Metal master
Metal master
80s Metal Lady

PostSubject: Re: Best Tune on "The Number of the Beast" by Iron Maiden   Best Tune on "The Number of the Beast" by Iron Maiden Icon_minitimeSat Feb 13, 2016 11:55 pm

DakotaRogers wrote:
corplhicks wrote:

I actually know a lot of people who wish it wasn't on the album period. Just look at that thread we had on here not too long ago.

Nutjobs, I swear.

I'm one of those nutjobs, lol. I don't care for "Invaders." I don't hate it I just think it's a weak opening track for such a classic album: "InvAders, da da-da-da da." I don't like "Gangland" and, I know I'll catch heat for this, I think "The Prisoner" is overrated. The drum opening is awesome, but the chorus sounds hella lame: "Not a prisonerer, I'm a free ma-an" ugh!
Back to top Go down
Thelemech
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Thelemech

Number of posts : 4009

PostSubject: Re: Best Tune on "The Number of the Beast" by Iron Maiden   Best Tune on "The Number of the Beast" by Iron Maiden Icon_minitimeSun Feb 14, 2016 12:06 am

The Number Of The Beast
Back to top Go down
MoonChild
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 15680

PostSubject: Re: Best Tune on "The Number of the Beast" by Iron Maiden   Best Tune on "The Number of the Beast" by Iron Maiden Icon_minitimeSun Feb 14, 2016 1:20 am

I would have easily opted for Children of the Damned, but for the mighty Hallowed Be Thy Name which is my all time favourite Iron Maiden song behind Infinite Dreams.
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9888

PostSubject: Re: Best Tune on "The Number of the Beast" by Iron Maiden   Best Tune on "The Number of the Beast" by Iron Maiden Icon_minitimeSun Feb 14, 2016 1:28 am

22 acacia ave.
I love the vibe on this song.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6337

PostSubject: Re: Best Tune on "The Number of the Beast" by Iron Maiden   Best Tune on "The Number of the Beast" by Iron Maiden Icon_minitimeSun Feb 14, 2016 4:48 am

80s Metal Lady wrote:
I don't care for "Invaders." I don't hate it I just think it's a weak opening track for such a classic album: "InvAders, da da-da-da da."
I admit the chorus is a little awkward, but to me that is not an important part of that song. It's really all about the verses. A ripping song with a wonderful vocal line.

It makes me think of a sped up Breaking the Law.
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: Best Tune on "The Number of the Beast" by Iron Maiden   Best Tune on "The Number of the Beast" by Iron Maiden Icon_minitimeSun Feb 14, 2016 10:09 am

80s Metal Lady wrote:
I'm one of those nutjobs, lol. I don't care for "Invaders." I don't hate it I just think it's a weak opening track for such a classic album: "InvAders, da da-da-da da." I don't like "Gangland" and, I know I'll catch heat for this, I think "The Prisoner" is overrated. The drum opening is awesome, but the chorus sounds hella lame: "Not a prisonerer, I'm a free ma-an" ugh!

I'm one of those nut jobs too, oh well. I don't think I would like "Invaders" regardless of the track position, but my God, this could be the worst opening track of any classic metal album ever. The chorus is pretty bad. I can't share your feelings on "The Prisoner", but definitely agree with you on the other two tracks. It's still a perfect album in my opinion. The other seven tracks are that damn good. In retrospect, I enjoy the fact that "Number of the Beast" has such a quizzical opening track to lead things off. In all honestly, I could go with one of four tracks as my favorite: "22 Acacia Avenue", "t/t", "Total Eclipse" or "Hallowed Be Thy Name". I think I will go with the underrated "Total Eclipse".
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Best Tune on "The Number of the Beast" by Iron Maiden   Best Tune on "The Number of the Beast" by Iron Maiden Icon_minitimeSun Feb 14, 2016 11:11 am

Hallowed. Glad you included Total Eclipse on the list. The band has admitted it was a mistake to include Gangland over Total Eclipse on the album. They also played Total Eclipse on TNOTB tour.
Back to top Go down
80s Metal Lady
Metal master
Metal master
80s Metal Lady

PostSubject: Re: Best Tune on "The Number of the Beast" by Iron Maiden   Best Tune on "The Number of the Beast" by Iron Maiden Icon_minitimeSun Feb 14, 2016 11:33 am

metalinmyveins wrote:
80s Metal Lady wrote:

I'm one of those nut jobs too, oh well.

Nutjobs unite! headbanger
Back to top Go down
80s Metal Lady
Metal master
Metal master
80s Metal Lady

PostSubject: Re: Best Tune on "The Number of the Beast" by Iron Maiden   Best Tune on "The Number of the Beast" by Iron Maiden Icon_minitimeSun Feb 14, 2016 11:36 am

thejokeriv wrote:
Hallowed. Glad you included Total Eclipse on the list. The band has admitted it was a mistake to include Gangland over Total Eclipse on the album. They also played Total Eclipse on TNOTB tour.

I need to listen to Total Eclipse some more. I think I've only heard it a couple times and promptly forgot about it. I remember liking it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Best Tune on "The Number of the Beast" by Iron Maiden   Best Tune on "The Number of the Beast" by Iron Maiden Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next