Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Ace Frehley - Origins Vol. 1

Go down 
+14
journeyman
ultmetal
corplhicks
manny
thejokeriv
Glower
James B.
the sentinel
nevermore
Boris2008
ZombieHavoc
Fat Freddy
MetalGuy71
18 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

Ace Frehley - Origins Vol. 1 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ace Frehley - Origins Vol. 1   Ace Frehley - Origins Vol. 1 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 18, 2016 7:26 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
ultmetal wrote:
Interesting choice in Rock and Roll Hell since the rumor was that the song was written about Ace.

Yea, I think I heard that once too. Oh, here it is...

thejokeriv wrote:
Interesting that he is covering Rock and Roll Hell that Gene says was written about Ace....

Razz

I pulled out Space Invader this week to give it a fresh spin in anticipation of this new one coming. It's such a good album.

headbanger
Back to top Go down
journeyman
Metal master
Metal master
journeyman

Number of posts : 883

PostSubject: Re: Ace Frehley - Origins Vol. 1   Ace Frehley - Origins Vol. 1 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 18, 2016 9:49 pm

cool track list. A bit surprised at White Room. Ace did a good job. adding this album to the list of wants.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Ace Frehley - Origins Vol. 1   Ace Frehley - Origins Vol. 1 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 01, 2016 1:17 pm

It won't let me embed, so click on this link to hear Ace's take on Thin Lizzy's 'Emerald'...

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/ace-frehleys-cover-version-of-thin-lizzys-emerald-feat-slash-available-for-streaming/

Sounds awesome!! Digging the back and forth between Ace & Slash!! Really looking forward to this one.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40553

PostSubject: Re: Ace Frehley - Origins Vol. 1   Ace Frehley - Origins Vol. 1 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 01, 2016 1:39 pm

That sounds great !
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: Ace Frehley - Origins Vol. 1   Ace Frehley - Origins Vol. 1 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 01, 2016 8:46 pm

I have never been disappointed with Ace and I don't think that's going to happen with the new covers release. That sounds good.
Back to top Go down
Glower
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Glower

Number of posts : 3219

PostSubject: Re: Ace Frehley - Origins Vol. 1   Ace Frehley - Origins Vol. 1 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 07, 2016 6:26 am

he last two weeks of the record I went up to L.A. I got John 5 and Lita Ford on the record the same day and that weekend Paul recorded the vocal for “Fire and Water”, while I was doing overdubs, and then he emailed the vocal back to us. I put a guitar solo on and we just mixed it. That was it. The whole process for “Fire and Water” was about four days from beginning to end.

emailing the vocals ? Really ?
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Ace Frehley - Origins Vol. 1   Ace Frehley - Origins Vol. 1 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 11, 2016 4:43 pm

This comes out this Friday (04.15) and it's on sale at Best Buy for $8.99. I had some BB reward points burning a hole in my virtual pocket, so I pre-ordered it. Along with a few other goodies.

Don't tell my wife I spent it all on magic beans again. What a Face

Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

PostSubject: Re: Ace Frehley - Origins Vol. 1   Ace Frehley - Origins Vol. 1 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 12, 2016 2:22 am

Still need to get space invader. I am a bit behind on his releases.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Ace Frehley - Origins Vol. 1   Ace Frehley - Origins Vol. 1 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 20, 2016 11:54 am

Really digging this one. Even for a covers album, Ace has the ability to make these songs his own.

The only 2 tracks that I don't care much for is 'Street Fighting Man', mostly because that song has been overplayed in it's original form already, and 'Wild Thing' with Lita Ford. She's trying too hard to sound sexy and it just comes off as corny. Just like Diamond Dave is too old for that crap, so is Lita.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

PostSubject: Re: Ace Frehley - Origins Vol. 1   Ace Frehley - Origins Vol. 1 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 20, 2016 12:09 pm

I've given it a couple of listens and I think it's pretty cool as well. The only track I'm not too keen on is Rock And Roll Hell. I guess I'm just too use to the KISS original.
Back to top Go down
glassprison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
glassprison

Number of posts : 2960

PostSubject: Re: Ace Frehley - Origins Vol. 1   Ace Frehley - Origins Vol. 1 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 20, 2016 3:06 pm

It's an interesting listen to be sure, but it's too bad the production is not better. That would have really made a difference. The drums sound especially bad to my ears.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Ace Frehley - Origins Vol. 1   Ace Frehley - Origins Vol. 1 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 20, 2016 4:59 pm

I'm enjoying it but I've been listening on YouTube since my vinyl copy hasn't arrived at my door yet.

Metal is Forever
the sentinel

PostSubject: Re: Ace Frehley - Origins Vol. 1   Ace Frehley - Origins Vol. 1 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 20, 2016 8:28 pm

I got it last Friday night, but haven't busted the plastic yet. I will tomorrow. I have been on a big Lizzy Borden kick the last few days. And, I spun the new live Metallica 4 times earlier in the week.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

PostSubject: Re: Ace Frehley - Origins Vol. 1   Ace Frehley - Origins Vol. 1 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 21, 2016 2:11 pm

Alright, halfway thru and I am really liking it. Especially, the cover of "Emerald" even though it's weird to hear someone other than Phil singing.
Back to top Go down
mikeinfla
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mikeinfla

Number of posts : 2477

PostSubject: Re: Ace Frehley - Origins Vol. 1   Ace Frehley - Origins Vol. 1 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 22, 2016 5:47 am

Nice to see Paul doing a tune with him. I guess Paul doesn't have the same attitude towards Ace that Gene does?
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Ace Frehley - Origins Vol. 1   Ace Frehley - Origins Vol. 1 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 27, 2016 10:22 am

mikeinfla wrote:
Nice to see Paul doing a tune with him. I guess Paul doesn't have the same attitude towards Ace that Gene does?

They made a video too...

Something must've went wrong with Ace's guitar though. It was smokin'

What a Face

Metal is Forever
the sentinel

PostSubject: Re: Ace Frehley - Origins Vol. 1   Ace Frehley - Origins Vol. 1 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 28, 2016 11:16 am

Spinning this again now and I really like it, Just a bit surprised at the inclusion of 3 Kiss songs. Even though "Rock and Roll Hell" might be about Ace, he wasn't on that album, so a tongue in cheek recording may be a way of putting the past to rest? But the other 2 songs, Ace was in the band then, so those are a bit puzzling. I guess, "Origins" refers to his early work and also what shaped him as a musician- the outside influences that did so.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Ace Frehley - Origins Vol. 1   Ace Frehley - Origins Vol. 1 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 29, 2016 1:57 pm

Just speculating on my end, but even though they are both stone-classic Ace tunes, Gene did the vocals on 'Cold Gin' and 'Parasite' because at the time, Ace felt he couldn't sing.

Debates on whether he can sing now nonewithstanding, Ace has since gone on to play them both live for years, so I guess he figured it was time he officially put it to tape.

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Ace Frehley - Origins Vol. 1   Ace Frehley - Origins Vol. 1 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 29, 2019 3:06 pm

Ace confirms that Origins, Vol. 2 is forthcoming...

Quote :
Ace Frehley has confirmed that he has completed work on "Origins Vol. 2", the sequel to his 2016 collection of cover songs that inspired the former KISS guitarist.

"Pretty much the whole concept behind that album is redoing songs of bands that influenced me growing up," Ace told Oklahoma's KATT Rock 100.5 radio station in a new interview (hear audio below). "I'm doing a [Jimi] Hendrix song, I'm doing a CREAM song, I'm doing a LED ZEPPELIN song, a song by THE ANIMALS. I also did a song by PAUL REVERE & THE RAIDERS."

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
glassprison

PostSubject: Re: Ace Frehley - Origins Vol. 1   Ace Frehley - Origins Vol. 1 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 29, 2019 5:06 pm

Quote :
Even though "Rock and Roll Hell" might be about Ace, he wasn't on that album, so a tongue in cheek recording may be a way of putting the past to rest?

I think he mentioned that it was to suggest how it *would* have sounded if he actually played on the Creatures album.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

PostSubject: Re: Ace Frehley - Origins Vol. 1   Ace Frehley - Origins Vol. 1 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 29, 2019 7:08 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:

Quote :
Ace Frehley has confirmed that he has completed work on "Origins Vol. 2", the sequel to his 2016 collection of cover songs that inspired the former KISS guitarist.

"Pretty much the whole concept behind that album is redoing songs of bands that influenced me growing up," Ace told Oklahoma's KATT Rock 100.5 radio station in a new interview (hear audio below). "I'm doing a [Jimi] Hendrix song, I'm doing a CREAM song, I'm doing a LED ZEPPELIN song, a song by THE ANIMALS. I also did a song by PAUL REVERE & THE RAIDERS."

Cool. I'll pick this up.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Ace Frehley - Origins Vol. 1   Ace Frehley - Origins Vol. 1 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 30, 2019 10:59 am

007 wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:

Quote :

Cool. I'll pick this up.

I'm always down for more music from Ace. My only little concern is that he mentions Hendrix, Cream and Zeppelin. I hope he digs a little deeper into those catalogs and not just rehashes the overplayed hits.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
glassprison

PostSubject: Re: Ace Frehley - Origins Vol. 1   Ace Frehley - Origins Vol. 1 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 30, 2019 12:21 pm

Yeah I agree about rehashing the hits, and it would be cool if he got some guests connected to his history to play on it. For example, have Tod Howarth from Frehley's Comet do vocals on a song or something...
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26449

PostSubject: Re: Ace Frehley - Origins Vol. 1   Ace Frehley - Origins Vol. 1 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 30, 2019 12:38 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
007 wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:

Quote :

Cool. I'll pick this up.

I'm always down for more music from Ace. My only little concern is that he mentions Hendrix, Cream and Zeppelin. I hope he digs a little deeper into those catalogs and not just rehashes the overplayed hits.

I agree with you about the overplayed hits. Hopefully, Ace will surprise us. As a fan I'll still get it.
Back to top Go down
glassprison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
glassprison

PostSubject: Re: Ace Frehley - Origins Vol. 1   Ace Frehley - Origins Vol. 1 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 04, 2019 10:09 pm

Ace recently revealed three of the tracks: Led Zeppelin's "Good Times Bad Times"; The Stones' "Jumping Jack Flash" (with Lita Ford on vocals); and Humble Pie's "30 Days in the Hole" (with Robin Zander on vocals).

Of those, I would say only the Humble Pie track interests me much from the outset. We'll see though...I wonder who the other guests (if any) are.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ace Frehley - Origins Vol. 1   Ace Frehley - Origins Vol. 1 - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Ace Frehley - Origins Vol. 1
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: Music Forums :: Heart Of Metal-
Jump to: