Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Question about collection organizing?

Go down 
+15
Eyesore
MetalGuy71
Gilbert
muckie
chewie
80s Metal Lady
Glower
Thelemech
Witchfinder
sovdat
corplhicks
Fat Freddy
the sentinel
Hadley
19 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
MoonChild
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 15680

Question about collection organizing? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question about collection organizing?   Question about collection organizing? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 02, 2015 6:10 am

Heaven and Hell under H, but definitely on a whole, they are just another Black Sabbath albums for me, technically. I do not diferentiate these two bands.
Back to top Go down
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

Number of posts : 2348

PostSubject: Re: Question about collection organizing?   Question about collection organizing? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 02, 2015 2:40 pm

Curious, what do you guys do with an album that was recorded at one point, but shelved, and then albums were released in between. Two immediate examples are Pretty Boy Floyd and Vain, who both recorded sophomore albums for their labels, but both were shelved before release and the bands dropped from the labels. Then in the 21st century, both albums ended up seeing print, after the bands had several other albums under their belts.

If you owned those albums, or a similar example, would you put the newly released, but recorded 20 years ago albums after the debut, or after the most recent proper album the band released?
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7632

PostSubject: Re: Question about collection organizing?   Question about collection organizing? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 02, 2015 2:51 pm

ZombieHavoc wrote:
Curious, what do you guys do with an album that was recorded at one point, but shelved, and then albums were released in between. Two immediate examples are Pretty Boy Floyd and Vain, who both recorded sophomore albums for their labels, but both were shelved before release and the bands dropped from the labels.  Then in the 21st century, both albums ended up seeing print, after the bands had several other albums under their belts.

If you owned those albums, or a similar example, would you put the newly released, but recorded 20 years ago albums after the debut, or after the most recent proper album the band released?

I would put them on the date they were released.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Question about collection organizing?   Question about collection organizing? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 02, 2015 3:16 pm

Hadley wrote:
Just curious, when organizing your collection, do you put the Heaven and Hell album "The Devil You Know" with any other Black Sabbath albums you own, or do you put it under the H bands (that is, if you classify them alphabetically)? Same goes for the Kiss solo albums, do you list them as part of the Kiss albums, or as individual artists? For me, not only do i consider The Devil You Know a sabbath album, but i edited the file on my computer and mp3 player so that it's listed under Black Sabbath (it was supposed to be released as Sabbath anyway, but legal issues prevented it). However, as for the Kiss solo albums, considering all 4 artists have released follow-ups, i consider them to be individual artists.

Heaven and Hell under "H", along with the various live records from H&H

Kiss solo records from 1978 under KISS. All four albums have the Kiss logo, the Kiss make-up, etc. Any other solo albums under the artists last name. F - Frehley, S - Simmons, etc.

Metal master
Metal master
80s Metal Lady

Number of posts : 896

PostSubject: Re: Question about collection organizing?   Question about collection organizing? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 02, 2015 9:03 pm

Eyesore wrote:

I also capitalize the first letter of each word in band names and song titles.

I do the same thing. Even words like "a" and "of" in titles, I type as "A" and "Of".
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: Question about collection organizing?   Question about collection organizing? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 02, 2015 9:18 pm

Witchfinder wrote:
ZombieHavoc wrote:
Curious, what do you guys do with an album that was recorded at one point, but shelved, and then albums were released in between. Two immediate examples are Pretty Boy Floyd and Vain, who both recorded sophomore albums for their labels, but both were shelved before release and the bands dropped from the labels.  Then in the 21st century, both albums ended up seeing print, after the bands had several other albums under their belts.

I would put them on the date they were released.  

Same here. Except if it were a re release like the recent Gamma Ray stuff. Although that problem is avoided b/c they are in digi packs and the digi stuff gets a separate rack.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Question about collection organizing?   Question about collection organizing? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 02, 2015 9:45 pm

Heaven and Hell I file under Black Sabbath, because it is Black Sabbath.

Tribute albums, right after the discography of the artist in question

I fill them in alphabetical order and order of their release. Boxsets, I remove the discs from the boxes and fill them with the rest of the collection and save the boxes.

Yesterday and Today and Y & T get filed together, as does The Stooges and Iggy and the Stooges, under the Stooges, while Iggy Pop solo is filed under P under his last name for example
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Question about collection organizing?   Question about collection organizing? - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Question about collection organizing?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2