Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Question about collection organizing?

Go down 
+15
Eyesore
MetalGuy71
Gilbert
muckie
chewie
80s Metal Lady
Glower
Thelemech
Witchfinder
sovdat
corplhicks
Fat Freddy
the sentinel
Hadley
19 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Hadley
Metal master
Metal master

Number of posts : 992

Question about collection organizing? Empty
PostSubject: Question about collection organizing?   Question about collection organizing? Icon_minitimeFri Nov 27, 2015 12:24 pm

Just curious, when organizing your collection, do you put the Heaven and Hell album "The Devil You Know" with any other Black Sabbath albums you own, or do you put it under the H bands (that is, if you classify them alphabetically)? Same goes for the Kiss solo albums, do you list them as part of the Kiss albums, or as individual artists? For me, not only do i consider The Devil You Know a sabbath album, but i edited the file on my computer and mp3 player so that it's listed under Black Sabbath (it was supposed to be released as Sabbath anyway, but legal issues prevented it). However, as for the Kiss solo albums, considering all 4 artists have released follow-ups, i consider them to be individual artists.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: Question about collection organizing?   Question about collection organizing? Icon_minitimeFri Nov 27, 2015 1:06 pm

My H ad H stuff goes under H and H and not Sabbath. I am extremely alphabetical.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Question about collection organizing?   Question about collection organizing? Icon_minitimeFri Nov 27, 2015 1:08 pm

The Devil You Know was never intended to be marketed as a Black Sabbath album. Legal issues did not prevent them from using that name.

Tony Iommi wanted to make it perfectly clear that fans WOULD NOT be hearing any Ozzy material when the band went on tour. He knew that if it was billed as Black Sabbath there would be lunkheads screaming for IRON MAN! at every gig, by calling it Heaven & Hell it allowed them to set expectations that it would only be Dio material. Iommi really didn't have a choice as Ronnie refused to perform any material that he wasn't originally involved in.

However, I still catalog it with the Sabbath albums. Still, I fully applaud their decision to altar the band name for that release, it made perfect sense.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: Question about collection organizing?   Question about collection organizing? Icon_minitimeFri Nov 27, 2015 1:09 pm

Heaven and Hell is under "H" on my shelf.

I file the KISS solos in with the rest of the band's CDs, since they were released under the KISS umbrella.
...Also because I was simply too damn lazy to file them all separately by their last names.
lol!

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Question about collection organizing?   Question about collection organizing? Icon_minitimeFri Nov 27, 2015 1:26 pm

I gave up on the headache alphabetization forever ago. Though I still organize by sub-genre.
Back to top Go down
sovdat
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal

Number of posts : 1786

PostSubject: Re: Question about collection organizing?   Question about collection organizing? Icon_minitimeFri Nov 27, 2015 2:33 pm

Don't have this Heaven and Hell CD but for example I keep Chuck Schuldiner's Zero Tolerance CD next to Death, and Nativity in Black tribute next to Sabbath.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40559

PostSubject: Re: Question about collection organizing?   Question about collection organizing? Icon_minitimeFri Nov 27, 2015 3:39 pm

Heaven And Hell under "H", the KISS solo albums under "K".
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Question about collection organizing?   Question about collection organizing? Icon_minitimeFri Nov 27, 2015 3:47 pm

I actually don't have Devil You Know but if I did it would go right after my Sabbath. Similar with Metal Church and related material i.e. Heretic>Reverend>MC>Wayne (when I get Vanderhoof and Presto Ballet they'll get organized in there as well).
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: Question about collection organizing?   Question about collection organizing? Icon_minitimeFri Nov 27, 2015 3:48 pm

Quote :
Nativity in Black tribute next to Sabbath.

I do that too. Sabbath tribute goes after the Sabbath albums, my Dio tribute gets filed at the end of my Dio section, etc., etc.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40559

PostSubject: Re: Question about collection organizing?   Question about collection organizing? Icon_minitimeFri Nov 27, 2015 3:53 pm

corplhicks wrote:
I actually don't have Devil You Know but if I did it would go right after my Sabbath. Similar with Metal Church and related material i.e. Heretic>Reverend>MC>Wayne (when I get Vanderhoof and Presto Ballet they'll get organized in there as well).

Mine are all placed under their corresponding letter. I like it better that way.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7632

PostSubject: Re: Question about collection organizing?   Question about collection organizing? Icon_minitimeFri Nov 27, 2015 5:19 pm

The Kiss solo albums are with my Kiss albums - they were released under the Kiss name.  Heaven and Hell is with the H artists.

My entire collection is arranged by artist and then year of release from oldest to newest.

Tribute albums are slotted at the end of the collection of the artist they are a tribute to.

Compilations are shelved by name - so Lead Weight is with the L artists. I do this because I think finding them alphabetized in the Vs for various artists is a bit too cumbersome. It's easier to remember the name of a compilation and find it that way.

Numbered artists - 3 Inches Of blood for instance, are at the beginning of the collection arranged by number from lowest to highest.

Box sets, large digibooks, metal can cases, and anything else that won't fit on a standard shelf are strewn about the room.

My vinyl collection is mostly in LP boxes and 7 inch boxes, but a selection of them (about 70 or so) are underneath my turntable in purpose built slots in the turntable stand.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
Thelemech
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Thelemech

Number of posts : 4009

PostSubject: Re: Question about collection organizing?   Question about collection organizing? Icon_minitimeFri Nov 27, 2015 5:40 pm

Most of my collection is chaotically organized and not in alphabetical order though most bands have all their material together.
On specifically Heaven and Hell I do keep it and the two H&H live albums with my Sabbath collection.
All my Sabbath and the solo albums from various members of the band are together.
Back to top Go down
Glower
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Glower

Number of posts : 3219

PostSubject: Re: Question about collection organizing?   Question about collection organizing? Icon_minitimeFri Nov 27, 2015 8:24 pm

Party - at Witchfinders ! Week long party !
I threw most of my plastic cd case holders away -
and have many small cd suitcases - fit about 20 - lots of em -
a few snakeskin cd holders - but basically -
so a robber just cant carry/steal a major portion of my true gems !

I put a lot of my fav classic cds together : In the Begining,
Metal Heart , Thunder From East, Knights of New Thunder
I have my darker cds together - Mercyful Fate / Angel Witch / Early Running Wild

I do keep KISS ACDC VH Twisted Sister Cooper BOC Ramones
together - wondering why I have them - mood is rare -
then Ratt / Dokken / Rough Cutt / lol - it's scattered brained though -
great topic post -
Back to top Go down
80s Metal Lady
Metal master
Metal master
80s Metal Lady

Number of posts : 896

PostSubject: Re: Question about collection organizing?   Question about collection organizing? Icon_minitimeFri Nov 27, 2015 9:53 pm

1978 KISS solo albums are filed with the other KISS albums (they belong together and even sport the KISS logo on the covers), others (i.e. Stanley's Live to Win) under the artist. Ian Anderson's solo album, Walk Into Light, I keep under Jethro Tull. Kerry Livgren's, Seeds of Change, I keep with Kansas but I see I have Steve Walsh's Schemer-Dreamer in the "W" section. I guess it just depends on where I think they best fit. I don't have Heaven and Hell.
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: Question about collection organizing?   Question about collection organizing? Icon_minitimeFri Nov 27, 2015 10:15 pm

Tributes and comps go at the end of the collection so I can find it easier.
Back to top Go down
muckie
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
muckie

Number of posts : 493

PostSubject: Re: Question about collection organizing?   Question about collection organizing? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 29, 2015 10:15 am

My albums are grouped by artists, sometimes in chronological order but not always sorted alphabetically in terms of where I place them with other albums on my shelf. Most of my CDs are also stacked because of space. Which leads me to ask if you guys stack them or place them horizontally on the shelf. Most of the ones with special cases I put in a separate place to avoid being broken. The CDs can actually take a lot of weight before being cracked, but in terms of replaceable jewel cases, I don't care so long as the art and book, and even disc are OK, which is my fortune so far, as I've never had them really damaged even with those whose jewel case has cracked.
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

PostSubject: Re: Question about collection organizing?   Question about collection organizing? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 29, 2015 10:42 am

I read somewhere that it is not advisable to stock ur cds horizontally because the weight would possibly damage them.

not sure how accurate this is anyways.
Back to top Go down
muckie
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
muckie

Number of posts : 493

PostSubject: Re: Question about collection organizing?   Question about collection organizing? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 29, 2015 12:16 pm

I think you mean vertically. Horizontally would be from left to right, not top to bottom. And from my experience, it's nonsense. Only time a CD I have ever broke from weight was when the disc itself was in a plastic sleeve.
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

PostSubject: Re: Question about collection organizing?   Question about collection organizing? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 29, 2015 12:31 pm

I meant stocking ur cds vertically. I did read on some collector's website that the cds at the bottom might be damaged by the upper weight.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: Question about collection organizing?   Question about collection organizing? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 29, 2015 9:08 pm

chewie wrote:

Same here, and I put the Soundtracks in a separate section, too. Newest to oldest, left to right.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Question about collection organizing?   Question about collection organizing? Icon_minitimeMon Nov 30, 2015 10:51 am

The Heaven & Hell album is cataloged with my Sabbath albums. It's a Dio-fronted Sabbath album as far as I'm concerned.

The only KISS solo album I own is Ace's, so I keep it first with his Comet and solo albums.

The latest Alice Cooper covers album is marketed as the Hollywood Vampires, but I'm putting it in with my other Coop albums.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Question about collection organizing?   Question about collection organizing? Icon_minitimeMon Nov 30, 2015 5:13 pm

Heaven & Hell goes under H. I pretty much follow all the rules of alphabetizing except when it comes to proper names. The Dave Matthews Band goes under D, as does Dave Matthews's solo albums. I don't put his stuff under M. Sarah McLachlan goes under S, Vince Neil under V, etc. For me, it's just easier that way.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Question about collection organizing?   Question about collection organizing? Icon_minitimeMon Nov 30, 2015 5:16 pm

the sentinel wrote:
chewie wrote:

Same here, and I put the Soundtracks in a separate section, too. Newest to oldest, left to right.

Yup. I have mine split between soundtracks, compilations, and tribute albums.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Question about collection organizing?   Question about collection organizing? Icon_minitimeMon Nov 30, 2015 5:44 pm

Despite what modern software likes, when I alphabetize by artist it's by "Last Name" (as it should be). So Nick Drake goes under "D", The Alan Parsons Project goes under "P", etc.

Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Question about collection organizing?   Question about collection organizing? Icon_minitimeWed Dec 02, 2015 3:55 am

S.D. wrote:
Despite what modern software likes, when I alphabetize by artist it's by "Last Name" (as it should be).  So Nick Drake goes under "D", The Alan Parsons Project goes under "P", etc.

I alphabetize by preference. I don't need to follow the rules in my own house. =)

I also capitalize the first letter of each word in band names and song titles.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Question about collection organizing?   Question about collection organizing? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Question about collection organizing?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next