Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Witchcraft - Nucleus. New album coming January 15th.

Go down 
+5
Boris2008
MetalGuy71
ZombieHavoc
chewie
Wurthless
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

Witchcraft - Nucleus.  New album coming January 15th.   Empty
PostSubject: Witchcraft - Nucleus. New album coming January 15th.    Witchcraft - Nucleus.  New album coming January 15th.   Icon_minitimeWed Oct 28, 2015 2:47 pm

Witchcraft returns with their first new album since 2012's Legend.  It appears the lineup is brand new for Nucleus, singer Magnus Pelander has taken over as sole guitarist (he had stopped playing guitar entirely on Legend) and Witchcraft is now a power trio for the first time in their career with new members Rage Widerberg on bass and Tobias Anger on drums. (rage & anger...funny) 

The first single "The Outcast" will be released on December 4th.  

Witchcraft - Nucleus.  New album coming January 15th.   Witchcraft-nucleus

Full details on the album and the 7 inch single release for The Outcast below:

http://www.nuclearblast.de/en/label/music/band/news/details/4071575.931546.witchcraft-album-details-erste-single.html
Back to top Go down
Wurthless
Metal is Forever
Wurthless

Number of posts : 5065

PostSubject: Re: Witchcraft - Nucleus. New album coming January 15th.    Witchcraft - Nucleus.  New album coming January 15th.   Icon_minitimeWed Oct 28, 2015 2:57 pm

I really dug Legend when it came out, then I kind of forgot about it. I'll have to give this one a shot when it's released.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Witchcraft - Nucleus. New album coming January 15th.    Witchcraft - Nucleus.  New album coming January 15th.   Icon_minitimeWed Oct 28, 2015 3:40 pm

The press release mentions "the rawer side of their early roots" which is good news as far as I'm concerned. I thought Legend was a good record but I don't think the modern production sound was the best fit for the material. I was also unhappy with Pelander's decision not to play guitar because he was frankly the best guitarist in the band based on when I saw them live on tour for The Alchemist. The idea of them becoming a power trio is a perfect fit as far as I'm concerned. Now we'll just have to wait and see what the material sounds like.

Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: Witchcraft - Nucleus. New album coming January 15th.    Witchcraft - Nucleus.  New album coming January 15th.   Icon_minitimeWed Oct 28, 2015 8:17 pm

Interesting...........
Back to top Go down
Wurthless
Metal is Forever
Wurthless

Number of posts : 5065

PostSubject: Re: Witchcraft - Nucleus. New album coming January 15th.    Witchcraft - Nucleus.  New album coming January 15th.   Icon_minitimeThu Oct 29, 2015 1:45 am

Their first album is fantastic, so if that's what the rawer side of their roots sounds like, I'd be more than down to listen to this.
Back to top Go down
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

Number of posts : 2348

PostSubject: Re: Witchcraft - Nucleus. New album coming January 15th.    Witchcraft - Nucleus.  New album coming January 15th.   Icon_minitimeThu Oct 29, 2015 11:49 am

I've enjoyed all of their albums to various extents, but the first two are certainly my favorites. These dudes and Orchid are really the only two that have held up for me out of the whole retro 70s thing. Everything else is getting as boring as all of the retro thrash and new wave of traditional stuff coming out.

In short: cool, man.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Witchcraft - Nucleus. New album coming January 15th.    Witchcraft - Nucleus.  New album coming January 15th.   Icon_minitimeTue Nov 10, 2015 11:30 am

Cool. Looking forward to new music.

I recently assembled a playlist with these guys, Horisont, Noctum and Dead Man, entitled "Swedish Meatballs".

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Witchcraft - Nucleus. New album coming January 15th.    Witchcraft - Nucleus.  New album coming January 15th.   Icon_minitimeMon Nov 23, 2015 3:37 pm

First single...

Nothing too special really, but it sounds decent and enough like their other material to spark an interest from me. Not that it would take much.

Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Witchcraft - Nucleus. New album coming January 15th.    Witchcraft - Nucleus.  New album coming January 15th.   Icon_minitimeMon Nov 23, 2015 4:32 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
First single...

Nothing too special really, but it sounds decent and enough like their other material to spark an interest from me. Not that it would take much.

I really like it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Witchcraft - Nucleus. New album coming January 15th.    Witchcraft - Nucleus.  New album coming January 15th.   Icon_minitimeMon Nov 23, 2015 5:31 pm

I'm glad they returned to their original retro recording sound, it's a more appropriate fit for their sound. I'm always happy to hear new material from Magnus, he's an interesting singer/songwriter. It's also nice to hear him playing guitar again...

Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

PostSubject: Re: Witchcraft - Nucleus. New album coming January 15th.    Witchcraft - Nucleus.  New album coming January 15th.   Icon_minitimeMon Nov 23, 2015 9:18 pm

I just listened to it a while ago and I dig it! Now that I have heard something from the upcoming album, I'll probably pre-order it like I did the last one.
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 25796

PostSubject: Re: Witchcraft - Nucleus. New album coming January 15th.    Witchcraft - Nucleus.  New album coming January 15th.   Icon_minitimeTue Nov 24, 2015 10:24 am

I heard the new song yesterday. I like it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Witchcraft - Nucleus. New album coming January 15th.    Witchcraft - Nucleus.  New album coming January 15th.   Icon_minitimeSat Dec 26, 2015 1:25 am

New tune and it's heavy as hell. Love it!

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Witchcraft - Nucleus. New album coming January 15th.    Witchcraft - Nucleus.  New album coming January 15th.   Icon_minitimeFri Jan 15, 2016 11:50 am

For a long time now people have been mistakenly categorizing Witchcraft as a "doom band", even though they really weren't.  I guess Magnus finally got disgusted with it and decided to deliver a doom album...  

Opening single The Outcast is odd man out on this album, the expanded instrumentation and upbeat groove are primarily only heard in that one track.  The remainder of the album is mostlystripped down (hence the title Nucleus) power trio heft.  Slow, brooding, atmospheric, trippy and grim, this is by far the darkest journey Witchcraft has taken yet.  This is the type of album you have to kind of surrender to, it's a headphones on, eyes closed type of experience.  

Track listing:  

1. Maelstrom (8:31)
2. Theory of Consequences (2:25)
3. The Outcast (5:56)
4. Nucleus (14:08)
5. An Exorcism of Doubts (7:39)
6. The Obsessed (4:47)
7. To Transcend Bitterness (4:01)
8. Helpless (6:26)
9. Breakdown (15:55)
10. Chasing Rainbows (3:51)

I'll probably end up writing a review once I've had the chance to digest it a little more.

Last edited by S.D. on Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Witchcraft - Nucleus. New album coming January 15th.    Witchcraft - Nucleus.  New album coming January 15th.   Icon_minitimeFri Jan 15, 2016 12:04 pm

Just waiting for Mr. Postman to deliver my copy. I never got that "doom" tag either. "Retro", sure, but they never struck me as doom although folks labeled them as such. Eh, whatever.

PostSubject: Re: Witchcraft - Nucleus. New album coming January 15th.    Witchcraft - Nucleus.  New album coming January 15th.   Icon_minitimeFri Jan 15, 2016 12:24 pm

I just ordered the 2LP set, I was waiting until I could hear the album before pulling the trigger. This is the type of music that I like to get on vinyl, the medium fits the vibe.

Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

PostSubject: Re: Witchcraft - Nucleus. New album coming January 15th.    Witchcraft - Nucleus.  New album coming January 15th.   Icon_minitimeFri Jan 15, 2016 12:47 pm

S.D. wrote:
I just ordered the 2LP set, I was waiting until I could hear the album before pulling the trigger.  This is the type of music that I like to get on vinyl, the medium fits the vibe.  

Yep! Witchcraft and The Sword are my two "I'm getting it on Lp" bands.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

PostSubject: Re: Witchcraft - Nucleus. New album coming January 15th.    Witchcraft - Nucleus.  New album coming January 15th.   Icon_minitimeFri Jan 15, 2016 4:17 pm

I'll catch up with this properly tomorrow but the first couple of tracks are killer.Heavier than expeted.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Witchcraft - Nucleus. New album coming January 15th.    Witchcraft - Nucleus.  New album coming January 15th.   Icon_minitimeMon Jan 18, 2016 11:12 pm

Really loving this record. Magnus is just unhinged on this album, I've always dug his voice, but he's really cranked it up a notch on here. Killer guitar sound throughout as well, I'm glad he started playing again.

The track "An Exorcism of Doubts" could be my new all-time favorite Witchcraft tune. Killer.
Back to top Go down
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

Number of posts : 2348

PostSubject: Re: Witchcraft - Nucleus. New album coming January 15th.    Witchcraft - Nucleus.  New album coming January 15th.   Icon_minitimeTue Jan 19, 2016 9:28 am

After a cursory listen, I like it a lot, as I expected. There is one song I do not care for, I think it was "The Outlaw", but need to re-listen to be sure. It had a flute and the whole song reminded me too much of Led Zeppelin. I'm not down with LZ.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12599

PostSubject: Re: Witchcraft - Nucleus. New album coming January 15th.    Witchcraft - Nucleus.  New album coming January 15th.   Icon_minitimeTue Jan 19, 2016 10:37 am

I got the vinyl on the way as I type...James is Happy Guy

Witchcraft - Nucleus.  New album coming January 15th.   Th?&id=OIP.Mae1ec235ea5e1731c135646d49f4e916H0&w=288&h=273&c=0&pid=1

Metal is Forever
Boris2008

PostSubject: Re: Witchcraft - Nucleus. New album coming January 15th.    Witchcraft - Nucleus.  New album coming January 15th.   Icon_minitimeTue Jan 19, 2016 7:49 pm

Yeah I'm digging this and it feels like a grower as well.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Witchcraft - Nucleus. New album coming January 15th.    Witchcraft - Nucleus.  New album coming January 15th.   Icon_minitimeTue Jan 19, 2016 7:59 pm

Boris2008 wrote:
Yeah I'm digging this and it feels like a grower as well.

Yes, it does continue to improve the more you let it sink in.

It's my favorite Witchcraft release next to "The Alchemist". I liked their last album Legend well enough but I felt the production was overly polished and modern sounding for the material, this time they've retained the power but the grit has returned, which completely fits the heavier direction.

I'm always going to have a soft spot for those first 3 albums, I think some of the best the retro scene had to offer, especially with the vintage instrumentation and analog recording aesthetic that they were using. But I'm also happy that Magnus has continued to let the music develop and move past where it started and I think Nucleus points the way toward many interesting possibilities for the future.

Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Witchcraft - Nucleus. New album coming January 15th.    Witchcraft - Nucleus.  New album coming January 15th.   Icon_minitimeSun Feb 07, 2016 4:24 pm

This has been my number one spinner so far this year. Helpless is one of those rare tracks that drags you into the vocalist's mental and emotional degradation. The whole album is crushing and never loses momentum.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Witchcraft - Nucleus. New album coming January 15th.    Witchcraft - Nucleus.  New album coming January 15th.   Icon_minitimeSun Feb 07, 2016 10:49 pm

I call Helpless a "dirge blues", though technically it's not a blues at all...but it does have some of that blues feel to it, particularly in the very Morrison-inspired vocal delivery and that ferocious damn guitar solo....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Witchcraft - Nucleus. New album coming January 15th.    Witchcraft - Nucleus.  New album coming January 15th.   Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Witchcraft - Nucleus. New album coming January 15th.
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next