Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Bigelf - New Album Coming!

Go down 
+4
Dark Horseman
Shawn Of Fire
MetalGuy71
Eyesore
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

Bigelf - New Album Coming! Empty
PostSubject: Bigelf - New Album Coming!   Bigelf - New Album Coming! Icon_minitimeThu Apr 04, 2013 3:05 am

Thought these cats broke up. Glad to hear that's not the case. Band signed to InsideOut, new album is coming, and frickin' Portnoy played on it! Not sure if all this signals a more progressive album, but that would rock.

Quote :
InsideOut Music has announced the signing of progressive-rock powerhouse BIGELF. The band's new album will be released later this year.

InsideOut Music head honcho Thomas Waber says about the signing: "We have been talking to BIGELF for quite some time now and I am really pleased that we finally managed to make this happen! BIGELF are an excellent addition to the InsideOut Music roster!"

It's been a few years since we've heard any activity from the BIGELF camp, so who better to explain to us what's been going on than the band's mastermind Damon Fox himself.

"Finally! BIGELF lands on a planet whose atmosphere is synonymous with progressive rock and heavy metal," Fox says.

"One of my all-time favourite quotes is, 'Be bold and mighty forces will come to your aid...'

"I'm ecstatic that InsideOut/Century Media and Mike Portnoy have joined 'forces' with BIGELF.

"First, I want to elaborate on what has been happening 'inside' the band since 2010. There have been numerous rumors on the Internet that I fired everyone in BIGELF; this is completely untrue.

"After the juggernaut of 'Cheat The Gallows' came to a halt, the business and personal infrastructure of BIGELF imploded and an unexpected hiatus occurred leaving the band in complete disarray. A myriad of personal, financial and domestic matters had enveloped myself as well as certain members of the group. There also comes a time when deep down inside it just doesn't feel right anymore, and one has to face the music that the end is near. Transparency no longer exists and with that, clarity and perspective are lost. I'm speaking for myself now but clearly this was a mutual feeling and I believe it was obvious amongst the band. Subsequently, Ace Mark decided to move on and left BIGELF in the summer of 2011, and a request by the remaining members for a dissolution of business followed. To put it simply, we went our separate ways without malice.

"I had been keeping in close touch with Mike Portnoy after his very public and difficult departure from DREAM THEATER. At this time, my musical future seemed quite bleak and I was very vocal to Mike about not being able to sustain the band any longer on my own. He implored me to carry on and to not let BIGELF slip away. His encouragement and enthusiasm meant the world to me. Recognizing that I needed some new allies, I asked him if he would help fight the good fight and lend his extraordinary drum majesty to the new BIGELF record and he readily agreed. Also... sharing a passion for all things rock and roll, my good friend Duffy Snowhill climbed aboard the Viking ship for another round of thundering bass guitar and for that too I am grateful.

"I also want to acknowledge our amazing and dedicated fans that send emails all the time saying how they feel about BIGELF. These emails inspire me greatly and they're the reason that I continue to play this kind of music, thank you from the bottom of my heart. I can't wait for everyone to hear the new wondrous landscapes we've been sculpting, there are lots of surprises around the corner, stay tuned."

Bigelf - New Album Coming! Foxbigelf
headbanger

For the uninitiated...

Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Bigelf - New Album Coming!   Bigelf - New Album Coming! Icon_minitimeThu Apr 04, 2013 10:03 am

Awesome news. Dig these guys big time. Just spun their discs not too long go. Bring on a new album!!

Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Bigelf - New Album Coming!   Bigelf - New Album Coming! Icon_minitimeThu Apr 04, 2013 10:05 am

They are indeed badass...adding Portnoy could be cool as well.

Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: Bigelf - New Album Coming!   Bigelf - New Album Coming! Icon_minitimeThu Apr 04, 2013 11:52 am

Portnoy has become the Tim Owens of the drumming world.
Never checked these guys out before, are the vocals always so Ozzy?
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Bigelf - New Album Coming!   Bigelf - New Album Coming! Icon_minitimeThu Apr 04, 2013 12:09 pm

Hmmm, never thought of the vocals as so Ozzy-ish, but now that you mention it, I can hear it a little.

These guys are another band that throws 10 different influences (Floyd, Sabbath, Beatles, prog, doom, rock, metal, etc.) into a big, frothy cauldon and somehow make it unique. It's all over the place musically, but somehow it works.

They were one of the earlier "retro sounding" bands that I got into, which opened the door to so many more that I also enjoy.

I never noticed the drumming stand out as anything particulary special, but brining in Portnoy might make them step-up their game a bit. Should be interesting nonetheless.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Bigelf - New Album Coming!   Bigelf - New Album Coming! Icon_minitimeThu Apr 04, 2013 1:40 pm

Dark Horseman wrote:
Portnoy was doing this sort of thing long before he quit/was fire from Dream Theater. He's just now doing it more. I think he's just a big music fan and wants to.

Tim, on the other, does it for a paycheck. Nothing wrong with that, of course, but Tim has no band. Unless you count Beyond Fear. Aside from that and his stint in Priest, he's always a guest vocalist.

Portnoy, aside from his appearances, has a bunch of actual bands or projects going.
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: Bigelf - New Album Coming!   Bigelf - New Album Coming! Icon_minitimeThu Apr 04, 2013 1:42 pm

I didn't know that they had imploded! Looking forward to a new album!
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Bigelf - New Album Coming!   Bigelf - New Album Coming! Icon_minitimeThu Apr 04, 2013 2:49 pm

Eyesore wrote:
Dark Horseman wrote:
Portnoy was doing this sort of thing long before he quit/was fire from Dream Theater. He's just now doing it more. I think he's just a big music fan and wants to.

Tim, on the other, does it for a paycheck. Nothing wrong with that, of course, but Tim has no band. Unless you count Beyond Fear. Aside from that and his stint in Priest, he's always a guest vocalist.

Portnoy, aside from his appearances, has a bunch of actual bands or projects going.

Well, the Yngwie and tribute album gigs could be considered "guest" (pretty much all of Yngwie's singers are guests). But he's full member in Beyond Fear & Charred Walls Of The Damned (neither of whom tour) and he was a full-on member of Iced Earth. What gives Tim his reputation is all the professional Tribute bands he does (HAIL!, Dio Disciples, one other I can't recall) and the tribute album tracks...which Portnoy has done too (he played on several of those Magna Carta prog tributes back in the 90s, does those tribute concerts, etc.).

I also think that if Ripper suddenly won the lottery, he'd keep doing exactly what he's doing.

Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12618

PostSubject: Re: Bigelf - New Album Coming!   Bigelf - New Album Coming! Icon_minitimeThu Apr 04, 2013 3:39 pm

So when Portnoy does all these "other" gigis, he does it for free surprised

Only Ripper does it for a paycheck (man do we need a sarcastic emoticon)

Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Bigelf - New Album Coming!   Bigelf - New Album Coming! Icon_minitimeThu Apr 04, 2013 3:52 pm

Jeez, I've got to get off this retro kick! (But with the Purson and Uncle Acid records out this month, there's no chance lol! )

Loving these! Very Happy

Tim Owens just knows who he is and most likely makes a great living doing what he loves. I wish that I could!
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: Bigelf - New Album Coming!   Bigelf - New Album Coming! Icon_minitimeThu Apr 04, 2013 5:03 pm

No slam on Ripper, I love his voice.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Bigelf - New Album Coming!   Bigelf - New Album Coming! Icon_minitimeFri Jan 24, 2014 6:17 pm

Progressive-rock powerhouse BIGELF will release its fourth studio album, "Into The Maelstrom", on April 1 in North America via InsideOut Music.

"Into The Maelstrom" marks the BIGELF recording debut of drummer Mike Portnoy (TRANSATLANTIC, THE WINERY DOGS, DREAM THEATER), whose Progressive Nation At Sea cruise the band will perform on between February 18 and February 22, 2014, playing alongside such bands as TRANSATLANTIC, DEVIN TOWNSEND PROJECT, RIVERSIDE and ADRIAN BELEW POWER TRIO.

Comments BIGELF frontman and mastermind Damon Fox: "I think 'Into The Maelstrom' is the best BIGELF record yet and I believe it is a real game changer for the band. It's gonna put us over the top! Psychedelic cinematic landscapes and melodic prog-doom set the stage for the new album. I cannot wait for fans (old and new) to experience all of its apocalyptic color."

"Into The Maelstrom" will be available on a limited 2CD digipak which includes exclusive remixes and demo versions, as well as a gatefold 2LP vinyl edition which includes the full album on CD.

"Into The Maelstrom" track listing:

01. Incredible Time Machine
02. Hypersleep
03. Already Gone
04. Alien Frequency
05. The Professor & The Madman
06. Mr. Harry McQuhae
07. Vertigod
08. Control Freak
09. High
10. Edge of Oblivion
11. Theater of Dreams
12. ITM: I. Destination Unknown / II. Harbinger Of Death / III. Memories

Bigelf - New Album Coming! Bigelfmaelstromartwork
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Bigelf - New Album Coming!   Bigelf - New Album Coming! Icon_minitimeMon Jan 27, 2014 11:49 am

Cool. Gonna spin some Bigelf this week in anticipation.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Bigelf - New Album Coming!   Bigelf - New Album Coming! Icon_minitimeMon Feb 03, 2014 8:37 pm

Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Bigelf - New Album Coming!   Bigelf - New Album Coming! Icon_minitimeMon Feb 03, 2014 8:48 pm

Wow, I completely forgot about this band. Saw them open for DT during the Prog Nation 09 tour. Amazing, and I mean AMAZING live act, and their music is gold. I meant to read up on their activity and get their album, but I dropped the ball. That song is killer.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bigelf - New Album Coming!   Bigelf - New Album Coming! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Bigelf - New Album Coming!
Page 1 of 1