Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

What's the more inferior Anthrax album?

Go down 
+18
MoonChild
Eyesore
thejokeriv
ZombieHavoc
Thrasher73
Thelemech
DakotaRogers
Troublezone
Fat Freddy
ultmetal
nevermore
Temple of Blood
Witchfinder
journeyman
Gilbert
the sentinel
metalinmyveins
22 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next

State of Euphoria (1988)
What's the more inferior Anthrax album? Vote_lcap16%What's the more inferior Anthrax album? Vote_rcap
 16% [ 5 ]
Stomp 442 (1995)
What's the more inferior Anthrax album? Vote_lcap84%What's the more inferior Anthrax album? Vote_rcap
 84% [ 26 ]
Total Votes : 31

AuthorMessage
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

What's the more inferior Anthrax album? Empty
PostSubject: What's the more inferior Anthrax album?   What's the more inferior Anthrax album? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 20, 2015 11:04 am

After finishing Scott Ian’s book “I’m the Man”, I thought this was a good question. Each of these albums were a low point for Scott Ian and for two totally different reasons. Ian really can’t stand “State of Euphoria”. He stated it was Anthrax slumming on autopilot.  He also stated how the record was rushed and it didn’t hold up compared to the previous three Anthrax records. His quote regarding the album:

It really f*cked with my equilibrium. I can’t even listen to it, and when I think back about some of those songs, I feel sick. It felt like the first time we made a mistake as a band. Instead of following our creative instincts, we let the music business dictate what we were doing.  I was sure it was only a matter of time until people started realizing how shitty State of Euphoria was.

Though “Stomp 442” is Scott’s least favorite of the John Bush era; he didn’t have harsh things to say about this album like that of “State of Euphoria”. He mentioned how little Elektra had done at the time to push this record. “Sound of White Noise” sold some 700,000 + albums, but it was considered a failure in Elektra’s eyes. Furthermore, those who were in Anthrax’s stable at Elektra were out when Time Warner took over in 1995. He went onto to talk about the change in the music scene and his disillusionment of how all those people who enjoyed “Sound of White Noise” were now listening to Soundgarden, Alice in Chains and Nirvana and wanted nothing to do with Anthrax.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: What's the more inferior Anthrax album?   What's the more inferior Anthrax album? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 20, 2015 11:20 am

I finished the Ian autobiography a few months back, and it was a great read. As for the albums, I voted against Stomp 442. Anthrax has always been my favorite thrash band but when this disc came out I felt they were just lost. It was totally unfocused and just seemed so not like them. I am going from my feelings from 20 years ago as I can't recall the last time I played this album. However, State of Euphoria holds a more endearing place in my heart as it came out during my total immersion into Hard Rock and Heavy Metal and it sounds very much like the Anthrax I had known at that time. By comparison, I was starting too lose a little interest in music around 1995 as collecting Sports cards was becoming my full time hobby and passion. I spun "State" a few weeks ago while working out and still really liked all of the songs with a few really standing out as "wow, forgot how good that was" and immediately took it in the car for another listen. Other than Fueled and Grunt and Click, there is nothing I remember; save for the Kiss and Husker Du covers that is.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40553

PostSubject: Re: What's the more inferior Anthrax album?   What's the more inferior Anthrax album? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 20, 2015 11:53 am

Although I like both rather well , I went with Stomp 442. Nothing really wrong with it , I just think State is better.
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

PostSubject: Re: What's the more inferior Anthrax album?   What's the more inferior Anthrax album? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 20, 2015 11:54 am

Stomp 442. But it is still good.
Back to top Go down
journeyman
Metal master
Metal master
journeyman

Number of posts : 883

PostSubject: Re: What's the more inferior Anthrax album?   What's the more inferior Anthrax album? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 20, 2015 1:58 pm

Stomp 442. They were 7 years apart and quite a bit changed. I never saw it from Ian's perspective, but I also don't rate state very high either. It was a bit of a disappointment at the time.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7632

PostSubject: Re: What's the more inferior Anthrax album?   What's the more inferior Anthrax album? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 20, 2015 2:25 pm

I voted Stomp 442 from this poll, but that's not the worst Anthrax album. That distinction goes to Volume 8 which is a total mess of an album.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: What's the more inferior Anthrax album?   What's the more inferior Anthrax album? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 20, 2015 3:06 pm

What are the best songs on stomp?
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26449

PostSubject: Re: What's the more inferior Anthrax album?   What's the more inferior Anthrax album? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 20, 2015 4:06 pm

Witchfinder wrote:
I voted Stomp 442 from this poll, but that's not the worst Anthrax album.  That distinction goes to Volume 8 which is a total mess of an album.

I agree!!
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: What's the more inferior Anthrax album?   What's the more inferior Anthrax album? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 20, 2015 4:53 pm

I went with State of Euphoria because it just sounds unfinished. However, I like both those albums, though I do admit I didn't care for Stomp 442 when it first came out. It took some time and now I dig it.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: What's the more inferior Anthrax album?   What's the more inferior Anthrax album? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 20, 2015 5:20 pm

I haven't heard either album in dog years to be honest. I had "State..." on cassette back in the day but never upgraded it to CD cuz I found it rather blah and never listened to it. I did own Stomp briefly when it first came out but it did nothing for me and ended up being traded off while it was still a fairly new release.

I guess I'd say "Stomp" would be my pick for more inferior, because I can't name a single song off of that thing. State at least had "Who Dares Wins" and the cover of "Anti-Social."

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: What's the more inferior Anthrax album?   What's the more inferior Anthrax album? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 20, 2015 6:15 pm

Stomp didn't even sound like Anthrax to me. It was a blatant attempt to fit in with the 90s trend. Euphoria was a bit watered down, but it still actually sounded like Anthrax.
Back to top Go down
DakotaRogers
Metal master
Metal master
DakotaRogers

Number of posts : 920

PostSubject: Re: What's the more inferior Anthrax album?   What's the more inferior Anthrax album? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 20, 2015 6:18 pm

This is like comparing So Far, So Good... So What! to Risk.

State of Euphoria takes awhile to stick, compared to other albums in the 'Thrax discography. There's a considerable amount of filler, but songs like "Finale", "Be All, End All", "Make Me Laugh", "Antisocial", and "Who Cares Wins" more than make up for it.

The Limp Bizkit meets Pantera clusterf*ck on Stomp 442 is unforgivable, however. At least Volume 8 had "Catharsis."

Last edited by DakotaRogers on Mon Sep 21, 2015 2:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Thelemech
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Thelemech

Number of posts : 4009

PostSubject: Re: What's the more inferior Anthrax album?   What's the more inferior Anthrax album? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 20, 2015 6:59 pm

I love State Of Euphoria, in fact it is my favorite Anthrax record Razz
I cannot stand Stomp 442 What's the more inferior Anthrax album? 352445
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: What's the more inferior Anthrax album?   What's the more inferior Anthrax album? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 20, 2015 8:31 pm

The Limp Bizkit meets Pantera clusterf*ck on Stomp 442 is unforgivable Laughing very hard Awesome!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What's the more inferior Anthrax album?   What's the more inferior Anthrax album? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 20, 2015 8:44 pm

Be All, End All is better than anything on Stomp, so looks like Stomp gets my vote.
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: What's the more inferior Anthrax album?   What's the more inferior Anthrax album? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 20, 2015 11:49 pm

Voted Stomp. Nothing wrong with State of Euphoria at all. I wore that cassette out back in the day.
Back to top Go down
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

Number of posts : 2348

PostSubject: Re: What's the more inferior Anthrax album?   What's the more inferior Anthrax album? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 21, 2015 9:15 am

I've never heard Stomp, but I'm surprised that State was such a low point for the band on a personal level. That's the first Anthrax stuff I heard, when "Anti-Social" would play on MTV sometimes. I still like it. Though I guess if I think about it, it's probably my least favorite of the original Belladonna years, but that's not really saying anything. Disease and Persistence are two of the best metal albums ever recorded, so.
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

PostSubject: Re: What's the more inferior Anthrax album?   What's the more inferior Anthrax album? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 25, 2015 8:11 am

Witchfinder wrote:
I voted Stomp 442 from this poll, but that's not the worst Anthrax album.  That distinction goes to Volume 8 which is a total mess of an album.

I picked these two, because of Scott Ian's feelings about these two. Surprisingly, Scott thinks "Vol 8." is the second best Anthrax album with John Bush after "We've Come For You All". It's hard for me to believe that he thinks that record is better than "Sound of White Noise". My order would be:

1. Sound of White Noise
2. We've Come For You All
3. Vol. 8
4. Stomp 442

I would put "Stomp 442" last because I think it was a bigger fall from grace. After "Stomp" came out, I could've cared less about the next Anthrax record, as I thought it to be a really boring album. I listened to it three times a few days ago and it still does very little for me. Though Vol 8. has too many tracks, I think there are some standout songs like "Catharsis", "Crush" and "Inside Out".
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40553

PostSubject: Re: What's the more inferior Anthrax album?   What's the more inferior Anthrax album? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 25, 2015 11:16 am

My order would be
1. Sound Of White Noise (I actually think it's one of their best)
2. We've Come For You All
3. Stomp 442
4. Volume 8 (only because I've never heard it)
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: What's the more inferior Anthrax album?   What's the more inferior Anthrax album? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 25, 2015 12:05 pm

Stomp is inferior, terrible album. State is the weakest of the early Anthrax albums, but it's 1000 times better than stomp.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: What's the more inferior Anthrax album?   What's the more inferior Anthrax album? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 25, 2015 12:08 pm

Maybe Anthrax should write more albums on slummy autopilot. I think State of Euphoria kicks ass! And I've never really cared for Stomp 442. In fact, it's probably an album I should revisit. I don't think I've listened to it more than a few times, and probably not since it came out.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: What's the more inferior Anthrax album?   What's the more inferior Anthrax album? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 25, 2015 1:17 pm

thejokeriv wrote:
Stomp is inferior, terrible album. State is the weakest of the early Anthrax albums, but it's 1000 times better than stomp.

Couldn't agree more!
Back to top Go down
MoonChild
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 15680

PostSubject: Re: What's the more inferior Anthrax album?   What's the more inferior Anthrax album? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 25, 2015 3:12 pm

Stomp 442 - not my kind of album Wink
Back to top Go down
DakotaRogers
Metal master
Metal master
DakotaRogers

Number of posts : 920

PostSubject: Re: What's the more inferior Anthrax album?   What's the more inferior Anthrax album? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 25, 2015 5:30 pm

Speaking of supposedly inferior Anthrax albums, if the rest of the songs from Sound of White Noise are as good as this one, I know what I'm picking up next week.

Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

PostSubject: Re: What's the more inferior Anthrax album?   What's the more inferior Anthrax album? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 25, 2015 5:34 pm

DakotaRogers wrote:
Speaking of supposedly inferior Anthrax albums, if the rest of the songs from Sound of White Noise are as good as this one, I know what I'm picking up next week.

Great songs: Only ~ Potter's Field ~ Room For One More
Good songs: Packaged Rebellion ~ Hy Pro Glo
Decent songs: Black Lodge ~ 1000 Points of Hate

So, your answer would be yes. In Scott Ian's book, James Hetfield was quoted as saying "Only" was a perfect song.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What's the more inferior Anthrax album?   What's the more inferior Anthrax album? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next