Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Metal songs that tried to be beautiful and moving but were actually not?

Go down 
+13
stormspell
assault_attack
the sentinel
MetalGuy71
Runicen
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
Witchfinder
corplhicks
Temple of Blood
Vexer6
TheGreatDuck
Boris2008
muckie
17 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
muckie
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
muckie

Number of posts : 493

Metal songs that tried to be beautiful and moving but were actually not? Empty
PostSubject: Metal songs that tried to be beautiful and moving but were actually not?   Metal songs that tried to be beautiful and moving but were actually not? Icon_minitimeSat Sep 12, 2015 11:02 pm

Can anyone name any metal songs that wanted to be pretty but sucked? I can think of a few:

Arcade, "When I'm Gone" (from their second album A/2)
Winger, "Rainbow in the Rose" (disgusting power ballad that supposedly took four years to write)
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Metal songs that tried to be beautiful and moving but were actually not?   Metal songs that tried to be beautiful and moving but were actually not? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 13, 2015 5:43 am

Any Motley Crue ballad ever
Back to top Go down
TheGreatDuck
Metal master
Metal master
TheGreatDuck

Number of posts : 648

PostSubject: Re: Metal songs that tried to be beautiful and moving but were actually not?   Metal songs that tried to be beautiful and moving but were actually not? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 13, 2015 10:06 am

Journey - Open Arms
Poison - Every Rose
REO Speedwagon - Can't Fight This Feeling
Back to top Go down
Vexer6
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Vexer6

Number of posts : 1307

PostSubject: Re: Metal songs that tried to be beautiful and moving but were actually not?   Metal songs that tried to be beautiful and moving but were actually not? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 14, 2015 3:17 pm

Judas Priest-Beyond the Realms of Death
Scorpions-Send Me An Angel
Motley Crue-Home Sweet Home
Mr Big-To Be With You
Any Stryper ballad.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Metal songs that tried to be beautiful and moving but were actually not?   Metal songs that tried to be beautiful and moving but were actually not? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 14, 2015 3:25 pm

I would say that most of the time if a song "TRIES" to be beautiful or moving it comes across as ham-fisted and calculated. Beauty happens more naturally when it happens accidentally.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Metal songs that tried to be beautiful and moving but were actually not?   Metal songs that tried to be beautiful and moving but were actually not? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 14, 2015 3:45 pm

muckie wrote:
Winger, "Rainbow in the Rose" (disgusting power ballad that supposedly took four years to write)

hahahaha
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Metal songs that tried to be beautiful and moving but were actually not?   Metal songs that tried to be beautiful and moving but were actually not? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 14, 2015 4:05 pm

Judas Priest can't write a ballad to save their life.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Metal songs that tried to be beautiful and moving but were actually not?   Metal songs that tried to be beautiful and moving but were actually not? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 14, 2015 4:20 pm

corplhicks wrote:
Judas Priest can't write a ballad to save their life.

You don't even like Before the Dawn?
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7632

PostSubject: Re: Metal songs that tried to be beautiful and moving but were actually not?   Metal songs that tried to be beautiful and moving but were actually not? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 14, 2015 4:29 pm

On what planet is "Beyond The Realms of Death" not a classic? Baffling.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

Number of posts : 2998

PostSubject: Re: Metal songs that tried to be beautiful and moving but were actually not?   Metal songs that tried to be beautiful and moving but were actually not? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 14, 2015 4:36 pm

Black Sabbath/Pantera - Planet Caravan. Man, do I hate that song.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7632

PostSubject: Re: Metal songs that tried to be beautiful and moving but were actually not?   Metal songs that tried to be beautiful and moving but were actually not? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 14, 2015 4:42 pm

UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS wrote:
Black Sabbath/Pantera - Planet Caravan.  Man, do I hate that song.

Blasphemy! Shocked
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/

PostSubject: Re: Metal songs that tried to be beautiful and moving but were actually not?   Metal songs that tried to be beautiful and moving but were actually not? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 14, 2015 4:43 pm

sign

Pantera can go suck a big one...but the original is a classic tune that shows off some of Iommi's jazz chops.
Back to top Go down
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

Number of posts : 2998

PostSubject: Re: Metal songs that tried to be beautiful and moving but were actually not?   Metal songs that tried to be beautiful and moving but were actually not? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 14, 2015 4:53 pm

Deal with it, Children of the Grave.....
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Metal songs that tried to be beautiful and moving but were actually not?   Metal songs that tried to be beautiful and moving but were actually not? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 14, 2015 8:27 pm

Beyond the Realms of Death and Before the Dawn bore me to death. Trust me, I've tried through the ages. I often skip them.

Planet Caravan is majestic!
Back to top Go down
Runicen
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

Number of posts : 1598

PostSubject: Re: Metal songs that tried to be beautiful and moving but were actually not?   Metal songs that tried to be beautiful and moving but were actually not? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 15, 2015 8:22 am

I'll just paint with a broad brush and say, "Any song attempting to recapture a previous song in a band's back catalog that was actually beautiful and moving."

I'm looking at you, Metallica. The Unforgiven was great. STOP MAKING SEQUELS TO IT!

Gonna throw out any song that references lyrics from a particularly poignant past song in a band's catalog as well. Every once in a while, this can be pulled off with some craft and grace, but most of the time you just cringe.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Metal songs that tried to be beautiful and moving but were actually not?   Metal songs that tried to be beautiful and moving but were actually not? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 15, 2015 5:01 pm

S.D. wrote:
I would say that most of the time if a song "TRIES" to be beautiful or moving it comes across as ham-fisted and calculated.  Beauty happens more naturally when it happens accidentally.  

Allot of the 80's hair-band era falls into that category. When it became standard operating procedure for every band to have a ballad, it kinda lost it's punch.

Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: Metal songs that tried to be beautiful and moving but were actually not?   Metal songs that tried to be beautiful and moving but were actually not? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 15, 2015 8:38 pm

Exactly. It became obligatory to have a ballad. I think that's what separates the "hair" bands from the other Metal bands in the eighties/ early nineties.

I know that "Beyond the Realms of Death" is a ballad b/c it tells a story; but I don't think Priest wrote it to be "beautiful" but rather "moving" as a song of someone who "had enough and couldn't take anymore."

And, by the way, it is a classic song! angry
Back to top Go down
assault_attack
Metal master
Metal master
assault_attack

Number of posts : 689

PostSubject: Re: Metal songs that tried to be beautiful and moving but were actually not?   Metal songs that tried to be beautiful and moving but were actually not? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 15, 2015 8:48 pm

"Beyond The Realms of Death"  Hell this a great if for no other reason then Rob's vocals from 6:40 on..

Back to top Go down
TheGreatDuck
Metal master
Metal master
TheGreatDuck

Number of posts : 648

PostSubject: Re: Metal songs that tried to be beautiful and moving but were actually not?   Metal songs that tried to be beautiful and moving but were actually not? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 15, 2015 9:12 pm

Vexer6 wrote:
Judas Priest-Beyond the Realms of Death

Still can't top that one review of SWOD that called Dreamer Deceiver the worst song on the album and a lame power ballad. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
stormspell
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stormspell

Number of posts : 1593

PostSubject: Re: Metal songs that tried to be beautiful and moving but were actually not?   Metal songs that tried to be beautiful and moving but were actually not? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 15, 2015 9:17 pm

muckie wrote:

If you remove the last two minutes of Reb's pointless wankery, it becomes a very decent tune. But on a whole In the Heart of the Young is very lukewarm and overrated album, to that I'd agree.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cdbaby.com/all/stormspell
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

PostSubject: Re: Metal songs that tried to be beautiful and moving but were actually not?   Metal songs that tried to be beautiful and moving but were actually not? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 15, 2015 9:31 pm

I like the outro solo on Headed for a Heartbreak, but I agree that it's overblown on Rainbow in the Rose.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

PostSubject: Re: Metal songs that tried to be beautiful and moving but were actually not?   Metal songs that tried to be beautiful and moving but were actually not? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 15, 2015 10:06 pm

Steeler's "Serenade" is, in my opine, absolutely dreadful.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40553

PostSubject: Re: Metal songs that tried to be beautiful and moving but were actually not?   Metal songs that tried to be beautiful and moving but were actually not? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 16, 2015 11:19 am

the sentinel wrote:
Steeler's "Serenade" is, in my opine, absolutely dreadful.

Yeah that is rather bad. Keel's vocals sound awfully flat in that one.
Back to top Go down
DakotaRogers
Metal master
Metal master
DakotaRogers

Number of posts : 920

PostSubject: Re: Metal songs that tried to be beautiful and moving but were actually not?   Metal songs that tried to be beautiful and moving but were actually not? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 16, 2015 12:52 pm

Silent Lucidity by Queensrÿche

To this day, I cannot explain the mass appeal of this song. The very idea that someone out there (let alone millions) finds this song catchy or memorable in any way is unfathomable.

It's not that I'm completely unreceptive to power ballads, this song is just pure unadulterated cringe. The guitars suck, the vocals suck, and the lyrics suck, especially; and there's no semblance of a hook anywhere in sight.

Mind you, this is coming from a fan of "Empire" and the 'Rÿche in general.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Metal songs that tried to be beautiful and moving but were actually not?   Metal songs that tried to be beautiful and moving but were actually not? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 16, 2015 2:07 pm

It had an appeal outside of the usual metal/hard rock crowd. I remember being in college at the time of it's release and a girl I knew fell in love with the song, buying the cassette single and playing it over and over again. She had no idea who Queensryche was or any knowledge of rock or metal. She was a square as they come. We called her Olive Oyl behind her back because of a strong resemblance. Sweet gal though. Heck of an artist.

That has nothing to do really with your post Dakota. Just a random memory related to that song.

PostSubject: Re: Metal songs that tried to be beautiful and moving but were actually not?   Metal songs that tried to be beautiful and moving but were actually not? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Metal songs that tried to be beautiful and moving but were actually not?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next