Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Is the Motörhead discography really that strong?

Go down 
+14
brokentulsa
Witchfinder
Wurthless
the sentinel
thejokeriv
corplhicks
Boris2008
sovdat
ultmetal
MetalGuy71
Fat Freddy
Gilbert
choosemetal
18 posters
AuthorMessage
choosemetal
Metal master
Metal master
choosemetal

Number of posts : 757

Is the Motörhead discography really that strong?  Empty
PostSubject: Is the Motörhead discography really that strong?    Is the Motörhead discography really that strong?  Icon_minitimeFri Aug 21, 2015 5:14 am

OK, guys so Motörhead rules. Obviously we all know the classic stuff. But recently I've been kinda listening to the other albums past like another perfect day. So far it's just been from "decent" to "good" to "pretty good". Nothing like really, really kick ass. But hey this is just based off a few songs off each album. But even with last two. Some good songs and forgettable songs.

What do you guys think? And really isn't the first 4-5 albums really just the essentials? What do you guys think?
Back to top Go down
http://wwwtotalmetal.blogspot.com/
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

PostSubject: Re: Is the Motörhead discography really that strong?    Is the Motörhead discography really that strong?  Icon_minitimeFri Aug 21, 2015 6:34 am

I love motorhead. But they are so repetitive that their albums kind of lose their individuality and character.

honestly, the last motorhead I enjoyed was bastards in 1993.

But it is still motorhead and an essential asset in each metalhead's collection.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: Is the Motörhead discography really that strong?    Is the Motörhead discography really that strong?  Icon_minitimeFri Aug 21, 2015 9:55 am

My Motorhead collection is far from complete (I think I own maybe a dozen albums, tops) but I like all of 'em just fine, for whatever that's worth. Some of my favorite Head albums are from the post-Another Perfect Day era, like "Rock N Roll" from '87, "Overnight Sensation" ('97) and "Inferno" from 2004.

Motorhead is like AC/DC or the Ramones, reliable as the tide. You know exactly what you're gonna get before you press the "play" button, and you either "get it" or you don't, I guess.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40553

PostSubject: Re: Is the Motörhead discography really that strong?    Is the Motörhead discography really that strong?  Icon_minitimeFri Aug 21, 2015 10:03 am

Fat Freddy wrote:

Motorhead is like AC/DC or the Ramones, reliable as the tide. You know exactly what you're gonna get before you press the "play" button, and you either "get it" or you don't, I guess.

What he said. Their albums are all a bit samey but they are all good to varying degrees. And like Freddy, I don't own a lot of Motorhead but the ones I do have are all very good listens.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Is the Motörhead discography really that strong?    Is the Motörhead discography really that strong?  Icon_minitimeFri Aug 21, 2015 10:35 am

I have all the studio albums, a few comps, some live albums and a few "rarities" collections. All told, I have 30 different Motorhead releases (soon to be 31) and yet I'm still not complete. That being said, I'm a fan of ALL Motorhead albums. Some I like better than others, but even the ones at the bottom of the pile have some redeeming qualities.

If you like Motorhead to a certain degree, you'll find something to like on all their albums. It's easy to say that all their albums sound the same, but I don't think that's true. Similar, sure, but the differences are there.

As Lemmy himself says, "We are Motorhead and we play rock n' roll". You either like that or you don't.

Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Is the Motörhead discography really that strong?    Is the Motörhead discography really that strong?  Icon_minitimeFri Aug 21, 2015 6:25 pm

Yes! It's all great! They have a few weaker moments, but overall their catalog is solid IMO. I never tire of them.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal

Number of posts : 1786

PostSubject: Re: Is the Motörhead discography really that strong?    Is the Motörhead discography really that strong?  Icon_minitimeFri Aug 21, 2015 6:28 pm

I don't think that they've been putting out same albums all the time. Their latest albums all tend to be more rock 'n roll-ish compared to classic stuff - which, in my opinion, would be Overkill, Bomber, Ace of Spades, Iron Fist and Orgasmatron.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Is the Motörhead discography really that strong?    Is the Motörhead discography really that strong?  Icon_minitimeFri Aug 21, 2015 7:06 pm

I would disagree that all their later albums are "rock n roll". Sacrifice is one of their heaviest records as is We Are Motorhead. I would put those records up against any of their early ones.

There is actually a good variety in their discography, but I think a lot of people don't really look past the surface enough to notice.
Back to top Go down
sovdat
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal

Number of posts : 1786

PostSubject: Re: Is the Motörhead discography really that strong?    Is the Motörhead discography really that strong?  Icon_minitimeFri Aug 21, 2015 7:18 pm

Well, I meant the later later ones, like Kiss of Death, Motorizer, The World is Yours. I haven't heard the latest yet.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Is the Motörhead discography really that strong?    Is the Motörhead discography really that strong?  Icon_minitimeFri Aug 21, 2015 8:22 pm

All of Motorhead's albums are rock n roll. Some of them are really heavy rock n roll, but they all have that vibe a lot more than the heavy blues that's more common in metal. That's why punks have always claimed Motorhead as one of their own.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Is the Motörhead discography really that strong?    Is the Motörhead discography really that strong?  Icon_minitimeSat Aug 22, 2015 12:31 am

It's all amazing. There's still a few discs I haven't caught up with but reliability is never a sin yo.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Is the Motörhead discography really that strong?    Is the Motörhead discography really that strong?  Icon_minitimeSat Aug 22, 2015 8:34 am

Like most here, I don't have all of there albums but I do like what I have (and I have probably heard every Motorhead album by this point.) They all sound like Motorhead, but they do have some cool surprises along they way. I love the more blues type stuff they do (see Lost Woman Blues, Whorehouse Blues) too - nice to have those mixed in with the heavier, faster stuff.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: Is the Motörhead discography really that strong?    Is the Motörhead discography really that strong?  Icon_minitimeSun Aug 23, 2015 6:37 pm

For a band about to put out their 22nd studio album- I say Yes. Strong as ever!
Back to top Go down
Wurthless
Metal is Forever
Wurthless

Number of posts : 5067

PostSubject: Re: Is the Motörhead discography really that strong?    Is the Motörhead discography really that strong?  Icon_minitimeTue Aug 25, 2015 10:52 pm

Motorhead is one of the few bands that I'm 100 percent okay on just having compilations. I have No Remorse and No Sleep Til Hammersmith (Live) and I think that's all I'll ever need.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Is the Motörhead discography really that strong?    Is the Motörhead discography really that strong?  Icon_minitimeWed Aug 26, 2015 1:32 am

Wurthless wrote:
Motorhead is one of the few bands that I'm 100 percent okay on just having compilations. I have No Remorse and No Sleep Til Hammersmith (Live) and I think that's all I'll ever need.

I would want to make my own compilation, because I find a lot of the later work just as entertaining. I could probably assemble a 2 or 3 disc set to cover their entire discography and be happy with that. Though I would still need to have Another Perfect Day by itself.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7632

PostSubject: Re: Is the Motörhead discography really that strong?    Is the Motörhead discography really that strong?  Icon_minitimeWed Aug 26, 2015 11:05 am

Motorhead's discography really is that strong. Some albums are more rock, some albums are more metal, but there's always something to like about them. Their 90s, 00s and teens albums have all been very good and all are worth owning. If you only have their "classic" material or some compilation, you are missing out on tons of great songs.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Is the Motörhead discography really that strong?    Is the Motörhead discography really that strong?  Icon_minitimeWed Aug 26, 2015 11:19 am

A few years ago, a buddy of mine asked for a cdr of Motorhead tunes. Instead of the same old classics, I made him a cdr of deep cuts from about 2000 and later, primarily of stuff I know he'd never heard before. I wish I had kept the playlist for myself because there was some bitchin' tunes on there.

Prime Motorhead cuts go way deeper than you'd think. Comps and hit collections barely scratch the surface in my opinion.

Metal is Forever
Wurthless

Number of posts : 5067

PostSubject: Re: Is the Motörhead discography really that strong?    Is the Motörhead discography really that strong?  Icon_minitimeWed Aug 26, 2015 11:54 am

You guys are probably right, I should give their newer stuff a chance... But who knows when that'll happen, lol.
I don't find myself listening to Motorhead very often, but when I do I've been pleased with what I've got. Maybe one day I'll branch out.
Back to top Go down
brokentulsa
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
brokentulsa

Number of posts : 1779

PostSubject: Re: Is the Motörhead discography really that strong?    Is the Motörhead discography really that strong?  Icon_minitimeWed Aug 26, 2015 10:20 pm

I love the later albums....While the earlier stuff is awesome (ace of spades headbanger   ) at the end of the day I am most likely gonna throw on Motorizer or March or Die or my favorite album Inferno...I consider all their albums to be full on metal albums...
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: Is the Motörhead discography really that strong?    Is the Motörhead discography really that strong?  Icon_minitimeThu Aug 27, 2015 7:57 am

I still have a few albums missing from my Motorhead collection: S/t, Sacrifice, Snake Bite Love, Inferno and Kiss of Death, but I've always enjoyed their albums. In some ways I wish they would have written more songs in the same vain as that of "Love Me Forever", which is an absolutely wonderful song off of 1916.
Back to top Go down
Andy
Metal graduate
Metal graduate

Number of posts : 328

PostSubject: Re: Is the Motörhead discography really that strong?    Is the Motörhead discography really that strong?  Icon_minitimeFri Aug 28, 2015 3:13 pm

they're one of the few bands with a formula so cut and dry that it just works. the early records are beloved because they were doing something new at the time. the songwriting is pretty consistent and i enjoy everything the band has done, but i only spin a handful of their albums regularly. the production starting with hammered has always sounded a little too meaty for my liking though. very excited for bad magic.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Andy618
mlotek
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mlotek

Number of posts : 1226

PostSubject: Re: Is the Motörhead discography really that strong?    Is the Motörhead discography really that strong?  Icon_minitimeSun Oct 18, 2015 2:53 am

The debut "Motorhead" LP, (or for others, the "On Parole" album with Larry Wallis on guitar), up until "1916" is perfect.
Every album was a classic.
After that, too many filler tracks for me, but there are some albums that were very good / great like the "old days" - Overnight Sensation, and Snake Bite Love in particluar.
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Is the Motörhead discography really that strong?    Is the Motörhead discography really that strong?  Icon_minitimeWed Oct 21, 2015 2:04 am

To answer the topic question, No. No it's not!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is the Motörhead discography really that strong?    Is the Motörhead discography really that strong?  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Is the Motörhead discography really that strong?
Page 1 of 1