Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Dokken - Rare 1978 Single

Go down 
+8
glassprison
stormspell
Troublezone
manny
the sentinel
Temple of Blood
Eyesore
Fat Freddy
12 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

Dokken - Rare 1978 Single - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dokken - Rare 1978 Single   Dokken - Rare 1978 Single - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 29, 2015 9:50 pm

You know when you read something and you say it back the wrong way? For the first time I accidentally misread eyesore as "eyewhore". Razz
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: Dokken - Rare 1978 Single   Dokken - Rare 1978 Single - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 30, 2015 10:03 am

Eyesore wrote:

It definitely turned into "I Can't You See," which is odd since on Metal Archives it says the b-side of "Sheila" is "I Can't See You Anymore." More Metal Archives fiction?

For whatever it's worth, RateYourMusic lists "Hard Rock Woman"/"Broken Heart" as the earliest Dokken release (under "singles"), no mention of "Sheila."

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: Dokken - Rare 1978 Single   Dokken - Rare 1978 Single - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 30, 2015 1:41 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Eyesore wrote:

It definitely turned into "I Can't You See," which is odd since on Metal Archives it says the b-side of "Sheila" is "I Can't See You Anymore." More Metal Archives fiction?

For whatever it's worth, RateYourMusic lists "Hard Rock Woman"/"Broken Heart" as the earliest Dokken release (under "singles"), no mention of "Sheila."

Discogs has a copy of Hard Rock Woman/Broken Heart for $50. No mention of Sheila in the discography section either.
Back to top Go down
Glower
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Glower

Number of posts : 3219

PostSubject: Re: Dokken - Rare 1978 Single   Dokken - Rare 1978 Single - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 01, 2015 11:04 am

I once saw 2 very SHOCKING photos - on this particular site !
Of Gene and Paul - bald -
Any photos of Don - with his wig off ?
How about a muscle bound George Lynch ?
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Dokken - Rare 1978 Single   Dokken - Rare 1978 Single - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 07, 2019 8:24 am

Ancient thread bump...
In addition to a new Dokken album thats supposed to surface in 2019, Don talks about releasing some from-the-vaults stuff like his obscure solo album Solitary and "demos" he recorded in the 70s, so maybe the "Hard Rock Woman" single will see the light of day again?

Quote :
According to Don, even if a new DOKKEN album doesn't surface before the end of the summer, there should be no shortage of new product from him and the band this year.

"For now, it looks like I might have two records coming out, worst-case scenario, for the summer, which will be my solo acoustic album, 'Solitary', which I might rename," he said. "I've added three more songs to it. My solo album will be coming out for the summer. We're trying to get out another album, which is kind of fun. It's gonna be songs recorded in the '70s when I was a little pup in my early 20s. And I have 12 songs that I haven't released. So we're gonna go in and remaster them and all that, and I might put out that record for the summer, if we can't make the release date, and call it something like 'Dokken: The Early Days' or 'Dokken: The Lost Tapes', or something like that. 'Cause it was just an accident. I was cleaning out my locker and I found a bunch of master tapes from '77 to '79. And I said, 'What the heck are these?' And it turns out it was all these demos I did in the early '70s, before we had a record deal."

He continued: "The solo album, I made it several years ago and I put it on the Internet and sold maybe a thousand copies. And I pulled it on iTunes. It's acoustic. It's a departure. It's more ethereal. I call it the kind of music you wanna listen to having a glass of wine and a candle burning. And it's kind of gonna be along the lines of some of the Robert Plant acoustic albums he did. So, that's been done for years. And I added three more songs, so it's twelve. So right now, I'm just doing the artwork on that, getting it ready for the summer. And if we can get this early-days DOKKEN album [ready as well]. It's kind of fun record. My voice sounds a lot younger. I listen to it, and I go, 'God, I sound like I've got helium in my voice.' I was 23 years old. I sound like Mickey Mouse. We're gonna put that out, for sure."

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
glassprison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
glassprison

Number of posts : 2960

PostSubject: Re: Dokken - Rare 1978 Single   Dokken - Rare 1978 Single - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 07, 2019 8:33 pm

Yeah, I was surprised when I saw that news. I wonder if any of this is stuff that has already been circulated, or if it is brand new stuff that truly hasn't seen the light of day before. I know I have some unreleased Dokken material from this era but haven't listened to any of it because I still can't even get into Breaking the Chains album, or the From Conception live album, much less the Back in the Streets EP from '79.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: Dokken - Rare 1978 Single   Dokken - Rare 1978 Single - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 08, 2019 8:07 am

I love the Live from Conception album as it sounds great, has a few unreleased tunes, and features a young and hungry band just cranking along. I read the other day about the re release of "Solitary" and could care less, as the album sucks. It's miles away from anything even remotely resembling 1980's Dokken.
Back to top Go down
glassprison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
glassprison

PostSubject: Re: Dokken - Rare 1978 Single   Dokken - Rare 1978 Single - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 08, 2019 10:23 am

I do like the Solitary album. I new going in that it was an acoustic album though. I think that it one thing Don can still really do well--acoustic songs in a lower register. The acoustic versions of "Heaven Sent" and "Will the Sun Rise" on Return to the East sound very good.

That said, I don't know why he is re-releasing Solitary (possibly with another title and album art?) just to tack on three more songs. Why not just put out another album or EP in that style?

Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Dokken - Rare 1978 Single   Dokken - Rare 1978 Single - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 08, 2019 10:54 am

I never even knew Solitary existed till a couple of years ago. Apparently it was pressed in very small quantities and only sold at the merch table at his shows that year? I checked it out via YouTube a while ago and was like "(shrugs) Meh, whatever."  If I wanna hear acoustic Dokken I already own One Live Night, which still sounds fabulous after all these years.

I'd be more interested if he took Solitary and added it to the rest of the early-days odds n' ends to make one big "Lost Tapes" package, rather than as separate releases, which is what it sounds like he's planning to do.

Back to top Go down
glassprison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
glassprison

PostSubject: Re: Dokken - Rare 1978 Single   Dokken - Rare 1978 Single - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 08, 2019 11:56 am

Quote :
I never even knew Solitary existed till a couple of years ago. Apparently it was pressed in very small quantities and only sold at the merch table at his shows that year? I checked it out via YouTube a while ago and was like "(shrugs) Meh, whatever." If I wanna hear acoustic Dokken I already own One Live Night, which still sounds fabulous after all these years.

That's right, he and Kelly Keeling did an acoustic set opening for Queensryche in early 2008. That's where I got mine. He came out and autographed them after QR's set.

You're right about One Night Live! I like a lot of those versions. A lot of what they did in the acoustic set in '08 drew from those versions. I love the acoustic version of "Into the Fire."

Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: Dokken - Rare 1978 Single   Dokken - Rare 1978 Single - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 08, 2019 9:44 pm

I love the extended opening to "Alone Again" on One Live Night. It's killer!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dokken - Rare 1978 Single   Dokken - Rare 1978 Single - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Dokken - Rare 1978 Single
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2