Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Dokken - Rare 1978 Single

Go down 
+8
glassprison
stormspell
Troublezone
manny
the sentinel
Temple of Blood
Eyesore
Fat Freddy
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

Dokken - Rare 1978 Single Empty
PostSubject: Dokken - Rare 1978 Single   Dokken - Rare 1978 Single Icon_minitimeSat Jun 27, 2015 9:06 pm

Dokken - Rare 1978 Single Hqdefault

https://rateyourmusic.com/release/single/dokken/hard_rock_woman___broken_heart/

Stuff like this is why I love the internet....

Thanks to the magic of YouTube, today I learned that the earliest line up of Dokken - a trio consisting of Don on vocals and all guitars (!), drummer Greg Pecka (heh..heh..heh.. Pecka. Heh...heh...heh) and bassist Steve Barry - released a single in 1978 consisting of two tracks: "Hard Rock Woman" b/w "Broken Heart." This was something of a revelation to me, as I had no idea that Dokken was even a thing in 1978, nor did I know that they recorded anything earlier than the 1979 demos which eventually wound up on the widely distributed "Back In The Streets" bootleg.

Here are the two songs:
"Hard Rock Woman" (misspelled as"Women" by YouTube uploader)

"Broken Heart"

(bitchin' guitar solo by Don on this track. Go Don, go!!!)

You really do learn something new every day. I've always considered myself a Dokken fanboy, but I had no idea that this single existed until today.

I don't suppose anyone 'round here has one of these singles? I imagine that this must be the Holy Grail for Dokken collectors.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Dokken - Rare 1978 Single   Dokken - Rare 1978 Single Icon_minitimeSat Jun 27, 2015 9:44 pm

I don't own a physical copy, but I do have the MP3s. Want them?
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Dokken - Rare 1978 Single   Dokken - Rare 1978 Single Icon_minitimeSat Jun 27, 2015 9:57 pm

Ah .. the stereotypical hard rock song called "Broken Heart". The pinnacle of creativity.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Dokken - Rare 1978 Single   Dokken - Rare 1978 Single Icon_minitimeSat Jun 27, 2015 10:05 pm

Quote :

If they're better quality than those YouTubes, sure. I YouTube-to-MP3'd both songs when I found them but obviously the sound (esp. on the first song) isn't great.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dokken - Rare 1978 Single   Dokken - Rare 1978 Single Icon_minitimeSat Jun 27, 2015 10:15 pm

According to Metal Archives, the first Dokken single came out in 1977, and Juan Croucier was the band's original bassist.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: Dokken - Rare 1978 Single   Dokken - Rare 1978 Single Icon_minitimeSat Jun 27, 2015 10:31 pm

Don't feel too bad about not knowing, FF, you have brought joy to a fellow Dokken fanboy's heart! I had no idea either and was just on the main site the other day for looking for a download of Back in the Streets. I gotta score a copy of that one of these days.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Dokken - Rare 1978 Single   Dokken - Rare 1978 Single Icon_minitimeSat Jun 27, 2015 10:57 pm

I was a huge Dokken afanboy back in the day and I had no idea that their was an embryonic version floating around in the late 70's or they had released a single! very cool.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dokken - Rare 1978 Single   Dokken - Rare 1978 Single Icon_minitimeSat Jun 27, 2015 11:05 pm

Cool. I'll take a listen tonight after I escape this terrible wedding....
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: Dokken - Rare 1978 Single   Dokken - Rare 1978 Single Icon_minitimeSat Jun 27, 2015 11:08 pm

Painkiller wrote:
According to Metal Archives, the first Dokken single came out in 1977, and Juan Croucier was the band's original bassist.

This one reminds me a lot of "I Can't See You" and is probably what this tune morphed into. Thanks for the vid.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: Dokken - Rare 1978 Single   Dokken - Rare 1978 Single Icon_minitimeSun Jun 28, 2015 1:24 am

S.D. wrote:
Cool.  I'll take a listen tonight after I escape this terrible wedding....

Why did you go?
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Dokken - Rare 1978 Single   Dokken - Rare 1978 Single Icon_minitimeSun Jun 28, 2015 1:26 am

These demos remind me of early Y&T.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dokken - Rare 1978 Single   Dokken - Rare 1978 Single Icon_minitimeSun Jun 28, 2015 2:07 am

Troublezone wrote:
S.D. wrote:

Why did you go?

Work. I'm the event coordinator and I also run lights, video and audio.
Back to top Go down
stormspell
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stormspell

Number of posts : 1593

PostSubject: Re: Dokken - Rare 1978 Single   Dokken - Rare 1978 Single Icon_minitimeSun Jun 28, 2015 3:58 am

Don played guitar on the early incarnations of the band. In fact back in the mid-80 there was a poster in Metal Hammer of Don sporting a bad-aerse guitar with snarling wolves on it. I had this poster on my wall and still envy him for that guitar to this day Smile

P.S. I found a crappy pic of that poster, its too small, but those wolves are bitchin'!

Dokken - Rare 1978 Single 395526181c296763e662a993ad20576e
Back to top Go down
http://www.cdbaby.com/all/stormspell
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Dokken - Rare 1978 Single   Dokken - Rare 1978 Single Icon_minitimeSun Jun 28, 2015 9:50 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
Quote :

If they're better quality than those YouTubes, sure. I YouTube-to-MP3'd both songs when I found them but obviously the sound (esp. on the first song) isn't great.  

Pretty sure it's the same exact version on YouTube.
Back to top Go down
glassprison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
glassprison

Number of posts : 2960

PostSubject: Re: Dokken - Rare 1978 Single   Dokken - Rare 1978 Single Icon_minitimeSun Jun 28, 2015 12:31 pm

Good post! It's cool stuff. I listened to as much of this early material as I could find when I was listening to the complete Dokken discography a few months ago. I'm pretty sure I have good quality live recordings of these songs from around the same time. If so I'll upload them next time I'm hooked up to my external HD.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Dokken - Rare 1978 Single   Dokken - Rare 1978 Single Icon_minitimeSun Jun 28, 2015 1:24 pm

Quote :
Pretty sure it's the same exact version on YouTube.

Well, then I guess I'm good. Very Happy

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dokken - Rare 1978 Single   Dokken - Rare 1978 Single Icon_minitimeSun Jun 28, 2015 1:58 pm

Not bad, typical bar-band hard rock circa 1978, interesting to hear Don this early.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Dokken - Rare 1978 Single   Dokken - Rare 1978 Single Icon_minitimeSun Jun 28, 2015 7:05 pm

the sentinel wrote:
Painkiller wrote:

This one reminds me a lot of "I Can't See You" and is probably what this tune morphed into. Thanks for the vid.

It definitely turned into "I Can't You See," which is odd since on Metal Archives it says the b-side of "Sheila" is "I Can't See You Anymore." More Metal Archives fiction?
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Dokken - Rare 1978 Single   Dokken - Rare 1978 Single Icon_minitimeSun Jun 28, 2015 7:16 pm

Quote :
It definitely turned into "I Can't You See," which is odd since on Metal Archives it says the b-side of "Sheila" is "I Can't See You Anymore." More Metal Archives fiction?

I was just coming here to post that but Eye beat me to it. Haha

Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: Dokken - Rare 1978 Single   Dokken - Rare 1978 Single Icon_minitimeSun Jun 28, 2015 7:19 pm

S.D. wrote:
Troublezone wrote:
S.D. wrote:

Why did you go?

Work.  I'm the event coordinator and I also run lights, video and audio.  

Was it a terrible wedding because it involved wretched music or wretched people? lol!
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Dokken - Rare 1978 Single   Dokken - Rare 1978 Single Icon_minitimeMon Jun 29, 2015 1:45 am

S.D. wrote:
Troublezone wrote:
S.D. wrote:

Why did you go?

Work.  I'm the event coordinator and I also run lights, video and audio.  

Interesting, I thought you were some kind of recording engineer... So, why was the wedding terrible? Were they jerks?
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Dokken - Rare 1978 Single   Dokken - Rare 1978 Single Icon_minitimeMon Jun 29, 2015 2:39 am

Every wedding is terrible!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dokken - Rare 1978 Single   Dokken - Rare 1978 Single Icon_minitimeMon Jun 29, 2015 3:16 am

Troublezone wrote:

Interesting, I thought you were some kind of recording engineer... So, why was the wedding terrible? Were they jerks?

I do a lot of different things. Mostly live sound and multimedia the past few years. As Eyesore stated...every wedding is terrible.

Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Dokken - Rare 1978 Single   Dokken - Rare 1978 Single Icon_minitimeMon Jun 29, 2015 10:37 am

On a semi related note, Don Dokken turns 62 today. Happy birthday Don!

...his wig, however, is less than half that age. Very Happy

Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Dokken - Rare 1978 Single   Dokken - Rare 1978 Single Icon_minitimeMon Jun 29, 2015 1:22 pm

Like some others, I'm kinda surprised that Don has been doing this since the 70's.

PostSubject: Re: Dokken - Rare 1978 Single   Dokken - Rare 1978 Single Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Dokken - Rare 1978 Single
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next