Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Divisiveness of metal musicians?

Go down 
+10
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
corplhicks
Temple of Blood
Required Fields
Lari
MetalGuy71
Boris2008
Runicen
Shawn Of Fire
muckie
14 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

Divisiveness of metal musicians? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Divisiveness of metal musicians?   Divisiveness of metal musicians? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue May 12, 2015 8:53 pm

I never want to over think when listening to music. I tend to like music that connects on a personal or emotional level.

Suicidal Tendencies is the perfect example of a band that has a broad spectrum of emotions in their music and lyrics. They've expressed everything from feeling down/depressed to being pissed off, but always with a bit of humor thrown in.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

PostSubject: Re: Divisiveness of metal musicians?   Divisiveness of metal musicians? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue May 12, 2015 9:25 pm

I always think about lyrics, the song and the meaning behind it all. It's a way to relate to the song. Usually I'm quite picky, so when I like something, I do tend to dissect it and see what's going on in there. What does it all mean? And why do I like it so much? And should I like it so much?

When the lyrics are simplistic, I tend to overthink and come up with a way to make sense out of something that isn't necessarily sensible, or deep, to begin with. It's usually harmless: we rock a lot, we roll a lot, and are sometimes a little concerned about politics and the ways of the world. Sometimes it is a little deep, and there's a story to be discovered there - excellent! Someone has insight into the world we live in? Great! Escapism? Great! Politics? Why not?! Fantasy? Goofy or not, it's still great!

But when the lyrics are narrow-minded, racist, anti-semitic, stupid, and/or against common ethics, it immediately strikes the wrong chord with me, and I definitely do tend to resent it.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: Divisiveness of metal musicians?   Divisiveness of metal musicians? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue May 12, 2015 9:34 pm

The last two Believer albums require some thinking to figure out what the songs are about.
Back to top Go down
John Madden
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
John Madden

Number of posts : 279

PostSubject: Re: Divisiveness of metal musicians?   Divisiveness of metal musicians? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue May 12, 2015 10:10 pm

BOOM!! This reminds me of a quote by Kyle Turley, the metal maniac that played for the Saints and almost decapitated a Jets player:" I have only one CD I listen to before games, and that’s Seasons in the Abyss, by Slayer. I listen to the whole CD before a game; it’s the only CD I take on road trips, and in my locker. I listen to all kinds of metal, Pantera, Down and other stuff, but that one CD, man. I listen to the whole thing before a game, but I time it perfectly to listen to the title track, song number 10, right before I go out. I get completely pumped up."
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Divisiveness of metal musicians?   Divisiveness of metal musicians? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue May 12, 2015 10:23 pm

The last time I analysed metal lyrics was about 35 years ago and it went like this

"Fast devastating and desolisating the curse" What the hell does that mean? I'm pretty sure that desolisating isn't even a word!!  surprised

Then I gave up   lol!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Divisiveness of metal musicians?   Divisiveness of metal musicians? - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Divisiveness of metal musicians?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2