Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Rock and metal musicians that you've met. Who was cool and who was a dink?

Go down 
+8
John Madden
Troublezone
Fat Freddy
Required Fields
nevermore
Gilbert
Lari
Big Rich
12 posters
AuthorMessage
Big Rich
Metal master
Metal master
Big Rich

Number of posts : 677

Rock and metal musicians that you've met. Who was cool and who was a dink? Empty
PostSubject: Rock and metal musicians that you've met. Who was cool and who was a dink?   Rock and metal musicians that you've met. Who was cool and who was a dink? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 07, 2020 11:07 am

I've been pretty lucky in the rockers I've met in that most of them were very cool.

The coolest ones I've met.

Jon Oliva, Matt Laporte and Kong from JOP were all cool.
John Corabi
Everybody that has ever been in Stryper, especially Oz, Robert and Tracie Ferrie.
Joey, Eric and Scott from Manowar were nice to me when I was 16.

All the guys from Tesla, especially Jeff and Frank.

Ripper Owens was super cool.

Steve from KIX.

All the guys from Saxon.

The only one that was a little standoffish was Lita Ford and she just seemed like she doesn't like interacting with fans. She wasn't mean or anything. Just seem bored.

I also met Joey Demaio a second time. He was still nice to me as a fan but I didn't like how he talked.about people in other famous bands.

WHAT SAY YOU?
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

Rock and metal musicians that you've met. Who was cool and who was a dink? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rock and metal musicians that you've met. Who was cool and who was a dink?   Rock and metal musicians that you've met. Who was cool and who was a dink? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 07, 2020 12:08 pm

Everybody was cool. Maybe I'm just a likeable, easy person.
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

PostSubject: Re: Rock and metal musicians that you've met. Who was cool and who was a dink?   Rock and metal musicians that you've met. Who was cool and who was a dink? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 07, 2020 12:56 pm

Haven't met many musicians. I recall the entire Onslaught band being super cool, as i got to hang out with them during rehearsal. We exchanged lengthy conversations.

Also met destruction and they were super friendly.

Scorpions were very friendly as well.

Surprisingly, Axl Rose was real nice!!!
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26449

PostSubject: Re: Rock and metal musicians that you've met. Who was cool and who was a dink?   Rock and metal musicians that you've met. Who was cool and who was a dink? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 07, 2020 3:44 pm

I met the Bulletboys once. They were very arrogant. Most others I've met have been pretty cool.
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28617

PostSubject: Re: Rock and metal musicians that you've met. Who was cool and who was a dink?   Rock and metal musicians that you've met. Who was cool and who was a dink? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 07, 2020 4:07 pm

I've met some:
Shane Embury of Napalm Death (it was very fast, and he was needing to get somewhere else, but he shook my hand nonetheless)
Joey Belladonna of Anthrax (the most famous one I've met to date; we had a couple of brief 25-30 second conversations. He was really happy to hear that I traveled five hours to see him perform)
Oscar Soutu of Anonymus (very nice guy)
Anvil (they were cool)
Three of the four members of Beyond Creation (beyond nice)
Members of Skull Fist, Archspire, and Visceral Disgorge

Luckily, so far, none of the encounters have been negative.

This excludes local bands, obviously.

I have no extremely negative encounters thus far.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: Rock and metal musicians that you've met. Who was cool and who was a dink?   Rock and metal musicians that you've met. Who was cool and who was a dink? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 07, 2020 5:11 pm

I've met a fair share of musicians over the years, the only one who was a dick was Ace Frehley. He was a surly, hung over douche.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: Rock and metal musicians that you've met. Who was cool and who was a dink?   Rock and metal musicians that you've met. Who was cool and who was a dink? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 07, 2020 6:52 pm

I’ve met a decent amount. Most were fairly nice...

The best experience was actually hanging out at Chuck Billy’s house. My friend is an acquaintance and I lucked out. While I was there I also met the others in Testament “The Gathering” lineup (minus Lombardo). I also met former Death/Testament guitarist James Murphy and Jon Allen from Sadus. It was a very cool road trip for Thrash of the Titans! Also met Alex Skolnick. Met Billy Milano...

I met all the guys from Flotsam & Jetsam from the late 90’s lineup. I briefly met Gene Hoglan (super cool guy!). I met Jim Durkin from Dark Angel and attended a party at his house via the same friend I met Testament. I briefly attended the same church as Ron Rinehart from Dark Angel while he was in the band Oil. I met Oz Fox and got some guitar pointers. I also met Tim Gaines, but he was a bit reserved. I met Nick Menza at a Hollywood Flotsam show (he was nice). Met Kerry King (he was ok but not overly friendly). Jim Shepherd and Warren Dane from Nevermore/Sanctuary. All the guys from Tourniquet around the time of the Collected Works album. Also met Kirk Windstein from Crowbar. There’s some others I can’t recall at the moment...

The biggest jerks I met were Mark Salomon from the Crucified and the singer from the German band Angel Dust and Sammy Duet from Crowbar.

Last edited by Troublezone on Sat Nov 07, 2020 7:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Big Rich
Metal master
Metal master
Big Rich

PostSubject: Re: Rock and metal musicians that you've met. Who was cool and who was a dink?   Rock and metal musicians that you've met. Who was cool and who was a dink? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 07, 2020 7:02 pm

Ive never met him, but I've never heard good story about Scott Ian. Just the opposite actually.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: Rock and metal musicians that you've met. Who was cool and who was a dink?   Rock and metal musicians that you've met. Who was cool and who was a dink? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 07, 2020 7:08 pm

Big Rich wrote:
Ive never met him, but I've never heard good story about Scott Ian. Just the opposite actually.

He and Charlie Benante have a reputation for being huge jerks!
Back to top Go down
John Madden
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
John Madden

Number of posts : 279

PostSubject: Re: Rock and metal musicians that you've met. Who was cool and who was a dink?   Rock and metal musicians that you've met. Who was cool and who was a dink? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 07, 2020 8:23 pm

Bobby Blitz-Great guy.
DD Verni-refused to sign autographs
Joel Grind-bought him a beer, great dude.
Dan Lilker, John Connelly, and Glenn Evans-all nice people.
Hung out with Orange Goblin -all great blokes
Kurt from D.R.I. -cool but a bit standoffish
Dave, Blake, Erik, and Frank from Vektor-super cool plus Dave helped me back my Jeep out lol
Eric AK-from Flotsam-great guy, really loves music
Stu Block from Into Eternity-really humble and friendly
Joey Belladonna - great guy, sang AND played the drums!
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: Rock and metal musicians that you've met. Who was cool and who was a dink?   Rock and metal musicians that you've met. Who was cool and who was a dink? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 08, 2020 9:12 am

Knew and hung out with Mike, Casey, Hardin, Terry, Rex, Darrell, and Vinnie in 84/85 while staying in Arlington, Tx. They were all kewl except for Bruce (this name not being typed above).

Played a handful shows (altogether) in 79/80 on the same bill as Quiet Riot, The Boyz, and Dante Fox. Talked with Randy Rhoads once,  gave me a nice compliment.  It was kewl being able to meet Mick & George before fame and fortune in Dokken, as well as Mark and Jack likewise did in Great White. I later auditioned and rehearsed with Dante Fox after Tony went to play in WASP, but my being under 18 ended going any further with that. All those guys were kewl.

My cousin Dennis played guitar in VVSI and later one album with House of Lords, he is kewl.

I attended Sanctuary (South Bay) for quite awhile, later at the short lived Sanctuary (Fontana), worked at Pakaderm Studios, and was involved with the production of Metal Mardi Gras, all 3 His Festivals, and a couple of Metal Midnite shows. So I have met, knew, and/or still know a lot of the guys/gals involved in the Christian Metal scene of So. California during the mid/late 80's.  Mostly all of them...kewl

Bill Menchen grew up around the corner from my grandparents and I met him in 1980, watched Asteroid practice in the garage a few years after that, and was later involved with both Redeemed & Final Axe. Bill=kewl

My cousin is an ex-wife of Jeff from Tesla. He is kewl.

Through Jeff, I became friends with Frankie. He is really kewl.

Talked with Eric Card at a Kong's X show in 87. He was super kewl

Had lunch with my bud Jamie (Roxanne) and Ty from Kong's X. Ty  was groovy kewl

Metal master
Metal master
Big Rich

PostSubject: Re: Rock and metal musicians that you've met. Who was cool and who was a dink?   Rock and metal musicians that you've met. Who was cool and who was a dink? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 08, 2020 1:09 pm

Jeff Keith is a really nice guy. And a family man
Back to top Go down
deathisgain
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
deathisgain

Number of posts : 285

PostSubject: Re: Rock and metal musicians that you've met. Who was cool and who was a dink?   Rock and metal musicians that you've met. Who was cool and who was a dink? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 08, 2020 11:45 pm

I met David Gilmour when I worked at a airplane navigational company in South Florida about 30 years ago. He flew into the small airport in a little prop plane. I walked up, introduced myself and he shook my hand and then turned away. I don't blame him, probably gets a bunch of weirdos talking to him.

Besides that, I met the guys in Stryper at a meet in greet on the 25 year tour. Mike seemed like a decent guy that took interest in you when you talked to him. The other guys not so much. That being said, I think they were dealing with colds and stuff, so they may have been worn out.
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathisgain.com
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7632

PostSubject: Re: Rock and metal musicians that you've met. Who was cool and who was a dink?   Rock and metal musicians that you've met. Who was cool and who was a dink? Icon_minitimeMon Nov 09, 2020 9:18 am

Everyone I've met has been very cool - Motorhead, Saxon, Anthrax, Wolf Hoffman, John Bush, Night Demon, Enforcer, Cauldron, Bob Mayo of Wargasm, Holy Grail, etc...

Contrary to everyone else's experiences, both Scott Ian and Charlie Benante were very nice to me. Joey Belladonna is truly a nice person and seems to love talking to fans. Also, everyone in Anthrax is tiny. I was shocked how short they were. Lol.

Lari likes this post

Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
mikeinfla
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mikeinfla

Number of posts : 2477

PostSubject: Re: Rock and metal musicians that you've met. Who was cool and who was a dink?   Rock and metal musicians that you've met. Who was cool and who was a dink? Icon_minitimeMon Nov 09, 2020 3:43 pm

Zakk Wylde was the most unfriendly. To the point that I left his line because he was being rude to the fans. I decided to talk to Randy Castillo since no one was talking to him. Was super cool and he signed my CD. Now that he is no longer with us, I am glad I got to meet him.

Everyone else was super cool, especially Jack Blades. Met him on the Damn Yankees tour. Then, for the "Don't Tread Tour" I met him again... And he approached me and said "Mike, how have you been?". I was shocked that he remembered my name. Ted was a hoot as well.

Black Crowes were interesting, Chris Robinson was staring at the ceiling and not making eye contact with anyone when he signed album flats.

I was working in radio in the early 90's at a rock station so we got passes to all the great shows.

I remember on the Dr. Feelgood tour (which we didn't have backstage passes for) that between sets I looked over at the soundboard about 30 feet away. I noticed a blonde sitting there. It wasn't loud by any means because the lights were on and people were buying shirts and taking bathrooms breaks. So I said "Hey Heather!" and she turned around and it was Heather Locklear. I motioned with a Sharpie for her to sign my ticket stub and she shook her head yes. Then as I was walking toward her a HULK of a man said "NO!". I looked back at Heather and she said "Sorry!" so that one never happened but I was close!

Have also met the members of Styx, Molly Hatchet and Sass Jordan but tons more, just can't remember now. All of them were very gracious.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rock and metal musicians that you've met. Who was cool and who was a dink?   Rock and metal musicians that you've met. Who was cool and who was a dink? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Rock and metal musicians that you've met. Who was cool and who was a dink?
Page 1 of 1