Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Blu-spec CDs: What are they?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
muckie
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
muckie

Number of posts : 493

Blu-spec CDs: What are they? Empty
PostSubject: Blu-spec CDs: What are they?   Blu-spec CDs: What are they? Icon_minitimeSun May 10, 2015 3:46 pm

I noticed one of my favorite bands (a jpop group, actually) had their entire catalog reissued on Blu-spec but I have no idea what that is. Supposedly like CD's answer to Blu-ray? Has anyone heard that comparison in quality on these and what current bands in the metal genre have them?
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: Blu-spec CDs: What are they?   Blu-spec CDs: What are they? Icon_minitimeSun May 10, 2015 8:47 pm

From what I gathered on the net it's a cd manufactured the way a blu ray dvd is with a blue laser instead of red. It was introduced by Sony Japan in 2008. As for it being the answer to blu ray, I thought the SHM compact discs were supposed to be the ultimate medium for cds? But, I am usually wrong.
Back to top Go down
Runicen
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

Number of posts : 1598

PostSubject: Re: Blu-spec CDs: What are they?   Blu-spec CDs: What are they? Icon_minitimeMon May 11, 2015 9:00 am

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blu-spec_CD

I think the sentinel is on point with that. There's not much more in the Wiki article.

Personally, I'd love to see music just migrate fully to Blu-ray releases for maximum audio quality but have a FLAC download included in the package (like the MP3 downloads you get when you buy vinyl now). Some companies seem to be leaning in this direction and I'm all for it.

Back on topic, if you want some fun, here's a thread on blu-spec from the Steve Hoffman forums. It's basically audiophiles ripping each other apart over it, but if you want some comedy, there you are...

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/blu-spec-cd2-announced.297790/
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Blu-spec CDs: What are they?   Blu-spec CDs: What are they? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Blu-spec CDs: What are they?
Page 1 of 1