Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Spec's OOP Treat of the Week (Updated 9/29/09)

Go down 
+4
akeldama
Schbopo
sam
tohostudios
8 posters
AuthorMessage

Spec's OOP Treat of the Week (Updated 9/29/09) Empty
PostSubject: Spec's OOP Treat of the Week (Updated 9/29/09)   Spec's OOP Treat of the Week (Updated 9/29/09) Icon_minitimeWed Sep 23, 2009 11:48 am

For this week, I have uploaded the debut of the hard rock/AOR band Riggs.

Spec's OOP Treat of the Week (Updated 9/29/09) Riggs_10

Hey! Remember the opening sequence of the "Heavy Metal" movie? Did you say to yourself, that"s an awesome song!? I did. The band that did that song ("Radar Rider") was the obscure rock band Riggs. Due to oversaturation of the melodic rock genre in the early 80"s, these guys were shuffled quietly under the rug. Before they were left for dead, they did produce what is said to be one of the best melodic rock albums of all time, with one of the worst album covers.

Riggs' debut (and only) release is an AOR treasure if you ask me. Although it is relatively unknown, this got a full worldwide release believe it or not. Originating from the unlikely hotbed of AOR (Knoxville Kentucky), though they did move to Florida to enjoy the sunshine (well Jerry did at least!), Riggs is the brainchild of singer guitarist Jerry Riggs, a bit of a AOR hero in his heyday. This album has all the hallmarks of superb AOR. There are some mighty impressive moments on display here, and they still sound good all these years later.

Rigg"s rock anthem "Ready Or Not" opens up, guitars cranked to the max. The next track is the awesome "One Night Affairs", keyboards and guitar melody to the forefront. One of my favorite songs of all time. Along with "One Night Affairs", the album's other best moment is without doubt "Over And Over", a tale of love played out over a classic AOR backdrop. Why this song wasn"t at least a minor hit boggles my mind. The rock boogie of "Take It Off" sort of lacks that special something, though we get back on track with the sonic assault of "Writing On The Wall" and the very Loverboy sounding "Depending On Love". Another outstanding track appears in the form of "Christine" while another great moment is the track "Don"t Walk Away". Listen to the solo section.

Killer!

Not much happened to the band after this one and only effort. Shame really, they had the potential to go far. Jerry Riggs is the only member to further his career, taking the place of Pat Thrall in the Pat Travers Band, and appearing on Pat's "Hot Shot" album, though more recently he has been playing with the Bobby Friss Band. In my opinion, this is another contender for a CD re-release.

The source material is from an old LP, so the sound quality isn't perfect. In fact, there are a couple of skips if you can believe it. I'm not responsible for the ripping. I have updated the cover artwork a bit, although the goofy dog picture is included for posterity. I also added the two songs from the Heavy Metal movie soundtrack to round out the package. I hope you enjoy. I sure as hell do!

Track Listing
1. Ready Or Not
2. One Night Affairs
3. Over and Over
4. Take It Off
5. Writing On The Wall
6. Depending On Love
7. Girls On The Loose
8. Christine
9. Don"t Walk Away
10. Too Strong
11. Heartbeat
12. Radar Rider

RIGGS - S/T (©️ 1982 Full Moon/WEA Records)
Jerry Riggs - vocals, guitars
Jeremy Graf - guitars
David Ridarick - bass
Stephen Roy Carlisle - drums

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=SM45T902

password: spectrefate

Mirrored here: http://spectrefate.blogspot.com/2009/09/riggs-st-1982.html

Last edited by SpectreFate on Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Spec's OOP Treat of the Week (Updated 9/29/09)   Spec's OOP Treat of the Week (Updated 9/29/09) Icon_minitimeWed Sep 23, 2009 11:51 am

I remember them! I used to have the one with Radar Rider on it on vinyl but I don't remember the cover with all those red & white lines. I do remember there was a snarling dog on the cover.

Nevermind, I missed the part about you messing with the cover.

Last edited by tohostudios on Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:54 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Spec's OOP Treat of the Week (Updated 9/29/09)   Spec's OOP Treat of the Week (Updated 9/29/09) Icon_minitimeWed Sep 23, 2009 11:52 am

I didn't know you had a blog....cool.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Spec's OOP Treat of the Week (Updated 9/29/09)   Spec's OOP Treat of the Week (Updated 9/29/09) Icon_minitimeWed Sep 23, 2009 1:23 pm

That's really pulling an obscure band out of the hat. I remember Radar Rider, never heard anything else by them. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Spec's OOP Treat of the Week (Updated 9/29/09)   Spec's OOP Treat of the Week (Updated 9/29/09) Icon_minitimeWed Sep 23, 2009 1:27 pm

You better watch it with your reworking of the cover Spec. You know how jealously Eddie guards his stripes.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
sam

Number of posts : 3012

PostSubject: Re: Spec's OOP Treat of the Week (Updated 9/29/09)   Spec's OOP Treat of the Week (Updated 9/29/09) Icon_minitimeWed Sep 23, 2009 2:08 pm

Thanks dude!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/samthebrutal

PostSubject: Re: Spec's OOP Treat of the Week (Updated 9/29/09)   Spec's OOP Treat of the Week (Updated 9/29/09) Icon_minitimeWed Sep 23, 2009 9:00 pm

I snagged that REVEREND EP collection you made...thanks!
Back to top Go down
Schbopo
Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

Number of posts : 4958

PostSubject: Re: Spec's OOP Treat of the Week (Updated 9/29/09)   Spec's OOP Treat of the Week (Updated 9/29/09) Icon_minitimeWed Sep 23, 2009 9:07 pm

Ah, yes...I got the soundtrack to Heavy Metal last week, and those last two songs are on it. Good stuff.
Back to top Go down
akeldama
Metal is Forever
akeldama

Number of posts : 7831

PostSubject: Re: Spec's OOP Treat of the Week (Updated 9/29/09)   Spec's OOP Treat of the Week (Updated 9/29/09) Icon_minitimeWed Sep 23, 2009 9:11 pm

Nice! Thanks Brian.
Back to top Go down
Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

Number of posts : 6557

PostSubject: Re: Spec's OOP Treat of the Week (Updated 9/29/09)   Spec's OOP Treat of the Week (Updated 9/29/09) Icon_minitimeWed Sep 23, 2009 9:15 pm

You sure have been generous as of late...keep uploading cool rare sh!t like this and maybe I WILL make an appearence in your barnyard animal movie....you know the one co starring DC?

Spec's OOP Treat of the Week (Updated 9/29/09) 342505
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: Spec's OOP Treat of the Week (Updated 9/29/09)   Spec's OOP Treat of the Week (Updated 9/29/09) Icon_minitimeWed Sep 23, 2009 10:19 pm

Thanks, spec. I remember them only b/c of the Heavy Metal movie and soundtrack. Peace.
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

PostSubject: Re: Spec's OOP Treat of the Week (Updated 9/29/09)   Spec's OOP Treat of the Week (Updated 9/29/09) Icon_minitimeWed Sep 23, 2009 10:45 pm

Funny I was just thinking about them because I just made my own mix of that soundtrack.

Thanks for uploading this, never actually heard their full album.
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com

PostSubject: Re: Spec's OOP Treat of the Week (Updated 9/29/09)   Spec's OOP Treat of the Week (Updated 9/29/09) Icon_minitimeTue Sep 29, 2009 10:16 am

Spec's OOP Treat of the Week (Updated 9/29/09) Cro-ma10

In 1988, the Cro-Mags finally released what, to me, is the finest hardcore album ever. (Although not my favorite) That album was "The Age of Quarrel". The album is chocked full of metal riffs disguised as hardcore and it relentlessly rips you to pieces from the intro of "We Gotta Know" to the end of "Signs of the Times"

I have collected some vintage recordings of the band in their prime and packaged them as "The Complete Quarrel". I have included that classic OOP LP along with demos that were released as "Before The Quarrel" on the first disc. The second disc is recordings of 2 live Cro-Mags shows. One from Winnipeg and one from the Steel City, Pittsburgh, both captured in 1986.

If you like hardcore and haven't heard this classic, then you must do yourself a favor and download this puppy!

CRO-MAGS - THE COMPLETE QUARREL (My own invention)
John Joseph – vocals
Parris Mitchell Mayhew – guitar
Doug Holland – guitar
Harley Flanagan – bass
Mackie – drums

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=5XIX0TP1

password: spectrefate
Back to top Go down
Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

Number of posts : 6557

PostSubject: Re: Spec's OOP Treat of the Week (Updated 9/29/09)   Spec's OOP Treat of the Week (Updated 9/29/09) Icon_minitimeTue Sep 29, 2009 10:48 am

The complete quarel...clever spec!
Back to top Go down
Olafsto
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Olafsto

Number of posts : 2522

PostSubject: Re: Spec's OOP Treat of the Week (Updated 9/29/09)   Spec's OOP Treat of the Week (Updated 9/29/09) Icon_minitimeWed Sep 30, 2009 2:00 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
I snagged that REVEREND EP collection you made...thanks!

So did I. Burned an played it today, a very good listen.
Thanks Spec!!
Now if i only had the brains and skills to print the cover i the right size Spec's OOP Treat of the Week (Updated 9/29/09) 206547
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/olafsto
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Spec's OOP Treat of the Week (Updated 9/29/09)   Spec's OOP Treat of the Week (Updated 9/29/09) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Spec's OOP Treat of the Week (Updated 9/29/09)
Page 1 of 1