Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Spec's Olde Timey Metal Album Review

Go down 
+4
Thrasher73
the sentinel
manny
Fat Freddy
8 posters
AuthorMessage

Spec's Olde Timey Metal Album Review Empty
PostSubject: Spec's Olde Timey Metal Album Review   Spec's Olde Timey Metal Album Review Icon_minitimeWed Nov 12, 2008 1:40 pm

Spec's Olde Timey Metal Album Review JudasPriestRamItDown
Judas Priest "Ram It Down" (1988)

I think this is the one Judas Priest album (along with "Turbo") that takes the most flack. Honestly, I'm not sure why. I myself have given it alot of flack over the years and I have forgotten why. That has prompted me to go back and listen to this album once again with fresh ears. Let's see what I find out....

1. Ram It Down

Great JP song. The best off this album and Turbo, if you ask me. So obviously Rob and the boys still have the balls. I like this song better than Painkiller for pure aggression. I feel like Painkiller is a little over the top to be honest. "Ram It Down" has enough control over the mayhem leaving me wanting more after the song is done. In contrast, "Painkiller" just makes feel like a just spooged a load all over my stomach in a room full of over zealous ladyboys. I'm all sticky and I don't remember what happened in the previous 5 minutes. Anyone know where I'm going with this? Anyhoo, "Ram It Down" has pure and simple riffage and amazing solos that are sure to satisfy. 10/10

2. Heavy Metal

This should be the anthem off this record. The song is called "Heavy Metal" for cripes sake. Great guitar work at the beginning (by Glenn I would assume) gets you pumped and excited for this song. Then the vocals, mechanical bass sound and drum machine kick in and my first thought is always "What the hell??" All that pomp and circumstance for a drum machine and gated vocals? Ugh. Rob's vocals, sans effects, still smoke on this one though. This was when that upper register of his really shined. All in all, this is really a catchy song. My big complaint is the manufactured tones of the rhythm section. The effects on Glenn's guitar are killer during the solo. Pure 80's sound. "Heavy Metal" is not a bad song if you can overlook, again, the poor rhythm section. 8/10

3. Love Zone

Ahhh...the drum machine again. Just wonderful. Don't ask me why but this song reminds me of a song that could have been on Ted Nugent's "Little Miss Dangerous" album. I don't know, this particular song, while not completely horrible, initially sounds like filler. However, the overtly sexual lyrics from Rob Halford are pretty amusing 20 years later. Smile Great soloing again. There isn't much better than Glenn Tipton and KK Downing. But this song left my brain 2 seconds after it stopped. 5/10

4. Come And Get It

Whitesnake-esque riffage starts out this tune. I must admit, I'm getting used to the synthesized drum tones. This would be the radio hit of this album if they had decided to release it. Great song. I like that catchy 80's anthem feel. But it's a Whitesnake rip-off, riff-wise with a touch of Priest tossed in to throw you off. 9/10

5. Hard As Iron

Awesome tune. A speedy riff that gets your blood pumping. A touch of melody in the chorus. Great, great song, IMO. Almost as good as "Ram It Down" but not quite. I have no idea why I never remembered this song. Why could they not continue making songs like this one? 9/10

6. Blood Red Skies

"Out In The Cold Part II". Nice try, but not quite. This is the other song I remember from this album other than "Ram It Down" and "Johnny B Goode". The synth drums and Rockman guitar tone make me feel like this should be either featured in an episode of Miami Vice, or used as a pro wrestler's theme song. Not a bad song at all, but it's missing something. Add in the fact that this is an obvious attempt to be an "Out In The Cold" clone (just like "A Touch of Evil" on Painkiller) which is a big turnoff. 7/10

7. I'm A Rocker

Nice melody in the riff. I really like that. However this is another attempt at an anthem from this album but it falls flat a bit for me. This song is pretty middle of the road and ho-hum for my taste. Not horrible, just rather forgettable. 5/10

8. Johnny B Goode

Horrible idea for a cover song. If Chuck Berry weren't busy filming young ladies in bathrooms he would be pretty pissed at this song. Or maybe not, as I'm sure he got a good amount of cash for this atrocity. This is the worst song on this album if not the worst song in Priest's catalog up to this point. Hit the Skip button, please. 2/10

9. Love It To Death

I can't really be honest about this song, because it has an element that I despise in 80's metal. That "shuffle" feel to it. This is the type of song that average bands would call "Bad Boy Strut" or "Ladies Night Shuffle". Something extremely bad like that. "Love It To Death" is a horribly forgettable tune. This is the textbook definition of "filler". 2/10

10. Monsters of Rock

A lyrical idea that Halford would revisit many years later with his own band on "Made In Hell". This is a story about well, the "Monsters of Rock" and their influence. "Monsters of Rock" is a slow number that may turn you off initially, but there is an unpolished gem here. However, I still feel that maybe they were trying to continue their idea of "Metal Gods" on this one. Pretty good tune, but I question why a thick, slow number was chosen to close the album. 8/10

Overall, I was impressed upon listening to "Ram It Down" again, however, I realize why I hadn't listened to it in years. The first half (we used to call them "sides" in the old days, kiddies) of the album is really solid and strong. The second half, not so much. Unfortunately the bad elements stick in my head longer than the good. Sadly, I feel this album marked an end to an era with Judas Priest. It seems like this was the last album where they felt like they didn't need to prove anything. Starting with "Painkiller" I feel the band started taking themselves too seriously and had to prove that they were heavy and deserved the 'Metal Gods" crown, whatever that is. But pop this one in when you get a chance and see if you agree with me.

Last edited by SpectreFate on Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37656

PostSubject: Re: Spec's Olde Timey Metal Album Review   Spec's Olde Timey Metal Album Review Icon_minitimeWed Nov 12, 2008 1:46 pm

I have always stuck up for RAM IT DOWN... it's like the runt of the Priest litter, it gets no respect... probably due to the fact that it was sandwiched between two albums that got much more notoriety (TURBO, widely hailed as their worst album, and PAINKILLER, widely hailed as one of their best)... so it's become the forgotten Priest CD. I remember simply being happy when I bought this disc because it was a bit more back-to-basics for Priest and didn't continue in the same vein/sound as TURBO.

The drum sound is terrible throughout most of the album, but as I understand it then-drummer/current convicted kid-toucher Dave Holland was barely in the studio during the recording of this album and even when he was, he wasn't holding up his end, as his mother was apparently ill and died during the sessions... so they had to do a lot of post-production touch ups.

I saw Priest on this tour (with Cinderella opening, of all creatures) and it was a great show too!

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Spec's Olde Timey Metal Album Review   Spec's Olde Timey Metal Album Review Icon_minitimeWed Nov 12, 2008 1:47 pm

I actually enjoy this album and don't feel it deserves all the critical lumps it has received, I do have to agree with you on the elements regarding the sound of the drums on "Heavy Metal'. It is an album that I donot ofter revisit it, but I do remember when it was first released how great I thought the album was compared to " Turbo".

20 years later I now prefer " Turbo" over " Ram it Down" but that certainly was not the case in 1988.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: Spec's Olde Timey Metal Album Review   Spec's Olde Timey Metal Album Review Icon_minitimeWed Nov 12, 2008 11:12 pm

In contrast, "Painkiller" just makes feel like a just spooged a load all over my stomach in a room full of over zealous ladyboys. I'm all sticky and I don't remember what happened in the previous 5 minutes.

Laughing very hard

After laughing for 5 straight minutes, I composed myself and I read the review. Good work, spec. I am glad to see someone give a great album a second chance. As I have stated elsewhere on this forum, I have fond memories of walking to the record store in the pouring rain (both ways, lol) to get this the day it debuted. And I have loved it ever since. Yes, even the cover song. I am sure that sentimentality has a bit part to play in that love and the fond memory I just referenced, but I got it at a time when there were no message boards and either you and your bros loved it or hated it. We all loved it. So what's next on the review block? Maybe some Ozzy, some Cooper, or some 'Tage? Again, great work. Peace.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Spec's Olde Timey Metal Album Review   Spec's Olde Timey Metal Album Review Icon_minitimeTue Nov 18, 2008 4:49 pm

When are going get another Spec review?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Spec's Olde Timey Metal Album Review   Spec's Olde Timey Metal Album Review Icon_minitimeTue Nov 18, 2008 5:20 pm

Who knows? I am the Earth's laziest man. Smile
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Spec's Olde Timey Metal Album Review   Spec's Olde Timey Metal Album Review Icon_minitimeWed Nov 19, 2008 11:06 am

spectrefate wrote:
Who knows? I am the Earth's laziest man. Smile

No you're not,You actually wrote one review which is more than I have done. Smile
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9047

PostSubject: Re: Spec's Olde Timey Metal Album Review   Spec's Olde Timey Metal Album Review Icon_minitimeWed Nov 19, 2008 11:08 am

Quote :
In contrast, "Painkiller" just makes feel like a
just spooged a load all over my stomach in a room full of over zealous
ladyboys. I'm all sticky and I don't remember what happened in the
previous 5 minutes.
Shocked fainting affraid angry dancingthing
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Spec's Olde Timey Metal Album Review   Spec's Olde Timey Metal Album Review Icon_minitimeWed Nov 19, 2008 10:34 pm

I attempted to writing a review but I gave up so I have to give props to Spec and Freddy, you make it look easy.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Spec's Olde Timey Metal Album Review   Spec's Olde Timey Metal Album Review Icon_minitimeWed Nov 19, 2008 10:35 pm

Easy? Those are just random thoughts put in paragraph form. I'm truly surprised they are coherent. Smile
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

PostSubject: Re: Spec's Olde Timey Metal Album Review   Spec's Olde Timey Metal Album Review Icon_minitimeThu Nov 20, 2008 9:02 am

Damn I never saw this review when you put it up haha. I feel the same way about the album except for Blood Red Skies. That is one of my favorite Priest songs. I never looked at it as a Out In The Cold Part 2 song. I'll have to give them both a listen and see how similar they are. I think Blood Red Skies was the first Priest songs I heard too so that could be why I like it so much.

Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

PostSubject: Re: Spec's Olde Timey Metal Album Review   Spec's Olde Timey Metal Album Review Icon_minitimeSat Nov 22, 2008 9:41 pm

One of the Priest albums I like the least actually, theres some really good songs, but as I understand it, some of the songs were recycled from the aborted twin turbo idea, and I always felt it showed. Side 1 would do much better as an EP. Good review though Spec
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com

PostSubject: Re: Spec's Olde Timey Metal Album Review   Spec's Olde Timey Metal Album Review Icon_minitimeWed Dec 23, 2009 9:43 am

Spec's Olde Timey Metal Album Review Dokken_-_Shadowlife
DOKKEN - SHADOWLIFE (1997)
"Shadowlife" is the read headed, retarded stepchild of the Dokken catalogue. Heralded as the worst album Dokken has ever thought of creating by longtime fans (such as our very own Fat Freddy), I felt the album needed to be revisited to see if it's just as bad as everyone remembers it being. They say that absence makes the heart grow fonder. I want to see if that old adage holds true for mid-90's hair metal bands. Let's take a listen....

1. Puppet On A String - The "heaviest" song on the album. A pretty good song. One I'd even include in a "best of" compilation. I just dislike the effect on Don's vocals. Kind of like he's speaking into a bullhorn. That trick was very overused in the 90's. This song is also noteworthy because "Your sex....was fulfilling" is the cheesiest line I've ever heard in a song.
2. Cracks In The Ground - Another pretty good song. Kind of a mid placed chug-a-long tune. Very vanilla, and it doesn't stick with you after hearing it. It's interesting to hear Lynch trying to solo without his trademark technique. I get a feeling he was trying to hide from his past sound. Lynch would probably tell you he was trying to progress. Yeah, OK George. Either way, George Lynch is one of the greatest guitarists of our time, IMO.
3. Sky Beneath My Feet - Some people will curse me for this, but I get a very King's X vibe from this tune. It's not as good as most of King's X's material, but the harmonies, Beatle-esque feel, and the downtuned guitars remind me of the boys from TeXaS. The great soloing by George on this song makes it stand out to me.
4. Until I Know - A Don Dokken ballad. How did this make it on to the album? It's over before you begin to care either way. Pointless really.
5. Hello - This is definitely different. It's great to hear Jeff Pilson's bass out front. I don't get songs like this where the lyrics seem to be forced into the song. This never quite gels for me, but it had plenty of potential. Again, way too short to get anything going. Strike Two.
6. Convenience Store Messiah - Dokken trying to copy Jerry Cantrell. It doesn't work for me, but it's not a terrible song. The band just sounds like they are trying to be something they aren't. The bongos are a nice touch, Mick.
7. I Feel - More King's X-esque sounds. Pretty decent song. The album needed a shot in the arm at this point, and this song provides enough of a boost to make it through the second half of the album. Mick Brown just sounds lost on this album. He's a rock n roll 4/4 straight ahead drummer, and I don't know if he was the best choice for this record. Just my opinion.
8. Here I Stand - Didn't I already hear this song on the album? Not bad, but not terribly memorable. The middle of the road dirge-like song doesn't work for Dokken. Next track please.
9. Hard To Believe - It's Hard To Believe I'm still listening to this album. NEXT!
10. Sweet Life - This song I dig. Kind of a good electric blues riff throughout. I can't say this is directly derivative of any band. It reminds me of what Quiet Riot was doing on their last album "Rehab". Good solid track on an album that sorely needs it. Kudos to George Lynch for being original for once on this album.
11. Bitter Regret - Introspective Lyrics + Acoustic Guitars = Zzzzzzzzzz Not a terrible song, but not something I plan on revisiting. Ever.
12. I Don't Mind - A bit of a mess of sounds. This song could represent the band at this point. Everyone trying to find their way and leaving cacophonous waste in their wake. I see why Lynch had to leave at this point of the band's career.
13. Until I Know (Slight Return) - Good blues technique by Lynch which makes me smile at the end of a tedious record.

All in all, Shadowlife is as bad as you have heard it is, but if you're feeling froggy and want to hear Dokken in another light, then give it a spin. I can think of worse things to listen to for an hour. Pantera, anyone?
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Spec's Olde Timey Metal Album Review   Spec's Olde Timey Metal Album Review Icon_minitimeWed Dec 23, 2009 10:08 am

SpectreFate wrote:
Heralded as the worst album Dokken has ever thought of creating by longtime fans (such as our very own Fat Freddy),

I believe I've gone on record around here as actually liking some of SHADOWLIFE. I do however maintain that it is definitely not a "Dokken" record, and probably would've been better received if it'd been released with a different name on it.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Spec's Olde Timey Metal Album Review   Spec's Olde Timey Metal Album Review Icon_minitimeWed Dec 23, 2009 11:25 am

I actually like this Dokken album, I suppose this Dokken trying to be more like Tool than Dokken.

I remember reading an interview with Don Dokken when the album was released, that he was unhappy with the direction but both George Lynch and the producer overruled him, wanting to make Dokken a more modern metal band.

It is an interesting direction that at times sounds forced and for once it was more than personality clashes that split this band up again.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Spec's Olde Timey Metal Album Review   Spec's Olde Timey Metal Album Review Icon_minitimeWed Dec 23, 2009 12:34 pm

Honestly, this album isn't as bad as I once thought. I've listened to it quite a few times in the last few years, and I dig it. Definitely different, which is why I initially disliked it. But it's a decent, even really good at times.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Spec's Olde Timey Metal Album Review   Spec's Olde Timey Metal Album Review Icon_minitimeWed Dec 23, 2009 12:37 pm

manny wrote:

I remember reading an interview with Don Dokken when the album was released, that he was unhappy with the direction but both George Lynch and the producer overruled him, wanting to make Dokken a more modern metal band.

There were some very entertaining interviews with both Don and Lynch in Metal Edge in the wake of the SHADOWLIFE album (and Lynch's subsequent departure from the band)... Don blamed the entire debacle on Lynch, claiming that George didn't want to use any of the "traditional" Dokken-style songs that had already been written, that George didn't even want Don in the studio at the same time as him while he was recording his tracks and saying that George was threatening to leave the band every other day during the recording process.

Lynch, of course, claimed that SHADOWLIFE was all Don's doing, and that Don was "a lying sack of sh*t." Spec's Olde Timey Metal Album Review Icon_lol

Make of that what you will, I guess.

Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Spec's Olde Timey Metal Album Review   Spec's Olde Timey Metal Album Review Icon_minitimeWed Dec 23, 2009 12:43 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
manny wrote:

There were some very entertaining interviews with both Don and Lynch in Metal Edge in the wake of the SHADOWLIFE album (and Lynch's subsequent departure from the band)... Don blamed the entire debacle on Lynch, claiming that George didn't want to use any of the "traditional" Dokken-style songs that had already been written, that George didn't even want Don in the studio at the same time as him while he was recording his tracks and saying that George was threatening to leave the band every other day during the recording process.

Lynch, of course, claimed that SHADOWLIFE was all Don's doing, and that Don was "a lying sack of sh*t." Spec's Olde Timey Metal Album Review Icon_lol

Make of that what you will, I guess.

That they are both lying sacks of sh*t
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Spec's Olde Timey Metal Album Review   Spec's Olde Timey Metal Album Review Icon_minitimeWed Dec 23, 2009 12:45 pm

Based on some of later day Lynch Mob albums where George Lynch tried to morph his band as a 'nu-metal' band, and Don Dokken who moved Dokken into a more traditional direction, I would tend to believe Don Dokken more.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Spec's Olde Timey Metal Album Review   Spec's Olde Timey Metal Album Review Icon_minitimeWed Dec 23, 2009 1:46 pm

manny wrote:
Based on some of later day Lynch Mob albums where George Lynch tried to morph his band as a 'nu-metal' band, and Don Dokken who moved Dokken into a more traditional direction, I would tend to believe Don Dokken more.
I was just about to say this. All you need to listen to is Lynch Mob's Smoke This, or whatever it's called.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Spec's Olde Timey Metal Album Review   Spec's Olde Timey Metal Album Review Icon_minitimeWed Dec 23, 2009 1:48 pm

Six-Pack Thunder Dong wrote:
All you need to listen to is Lynch Mob's Smoke This, or whatever it's called.

Mmmm....nah, that's OK. You listen to it.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Spec's Olde Timey Metal Album Review   Spec's Olde Timey Metal Album Review Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Spec's Olde Timey Metal Album Review
Page 1 of 1