Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Skid Row Clones

Go down 
+16
Gilbert
mikeinfla
martinsane
brokentulsa
Thrasher73
corplhicks
Hadley
stpatrik
James B.
MetalGuy71
ZombieHavoc
Required Fields
Thelemech
kethdredd
Witchfinder
20 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

Number of posts : 2348

Skid Row Clones - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Skid Row Clones   Skid Row Clones - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 06, 2015 1:39 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Zombiehavoc wrote:
I listened to the new album that came out this year (the self-titled) on Spotify and it is awful, in my opinion. It sounds like if they were a sleaze band in the late 80s, what their new album would've sounded like in 1995. Whatever album you might hate from your favorite sleaze band, that's probably what this is like.

Interesting. I thought the newer s/t album sounded pretty good. The little bits I've heard anyway.

Listening to the 3 clips you posted with fresh ears, maybe my comments were a bit harsh...I can hear something kinda okay in the first and third video you posted...but still, compared to the debut full length, with songs like the below, I just can't really get into it. They put way too much of a non-sleazy spin into their music for my taste on the s/t.

Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Skid Row Clones   Skid Row Clones - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 06, 2015 2:35 pm

What's even more baffling to me is some of the music tags the band has on their Wiki page. Under genres, Santa Cruz is tagged with: Hard Rock (ok), Glam Metal (I can see that), Groove Metal (Uh, maybe I guess) and Melodic Metalcore (Huh? WTF?)

Am I missing something there? Do they incorporate metalcore screaming in some songs?

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Skid Row Clones   Skid Row Clones - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 30, 2015 10:36 am

Another band that has some Skid Row tendencies. Not so much in the vocals, but enough grit in their hair metal melodies to take note. Even the ballad is good. Not too sappy. Yet another new-ish band from Sweden...Confess

Or listen to the whole Jail album here...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuFl5c6K878

Got my copy on it's way. headbanger

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

Number of posts : 2348

PostSubject: Re: Skid Row Clones   Skid Row Clones - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 30, 2015 10:46 am

Yeah dude that record was one of my favorites last year. Their prior EP is good too.

I feel like a really negative dude right now, but I've been getting soured on a lot of this current sleaze (and even my old favorites too are getting really stale to me), but this one stuck out as one of the better of the recent crop, in my opinion.

I can see the Skid Row-iness, at least in the Reckless Love would be to Poison what Confess might be to Skid Row. Or something.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Skid Row Clones   Skid Row Clones - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 30, 2015 11:38 am

ZombieHavoc wrote:
Yeah dude that record was one of my favorites last year. Their prior EP is good too.

I feel like a really negative dude right now, but I've been getting soured on a lot of this current sleaze (and even my old favorites too are getting really stale to me), but this one stuck out as one of the better of the recent crop, in my opinion.

I can see the Skid Row-iness, at least in the Reckless Love would be to Poison what Confess might be to Skid Row. Or something.

I try to be a little more reserved and picky when it comes to modern sleaze bands, especially all the ones coming out of Sweden (something in the water there?), so I too don't get burned out. I wan't immediately sold on Confess from the first single, but I played the album through a couple times and it was pretty darn catchy. The price was right too ($8 shipped). That played a big part.

PostSubject: Re: Skid Row Clones   Skid Row Clones - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 30, 2015 11:53 am

I used to like their first two albums quite a bit when I was getting into music. Nowadays, they're a band that I choose not to listen to outside of sports arenas.
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Skid Row Clones   Skid Row Clones - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 31, 2015 3:34 am

I dig Confess, may have to pick that album up. thanks MG!
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Skid Row Clones   Skid Row Clones - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 31, 2015 9:45 am

Thrasher73 wrote:
I dig Confess, may have to pick that album up. thanks MG!

Cool. I read about them on SleazeRoxx.com. They made the reader's poll Top 10 list, so they seemed worth checking out. Glad I did.

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Skid Row Clones   Skid Row Clones - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 09, 2016 10:40 am

stpatrik wrote:
Mad Margritt? Their Animal CD sounds quite like Skid Row IMO. A few tracks from it:

Perris Records has this cd on sale (along with quite a few other artists) if anyone is so inclined to add more Mad Margritt to their collections...

http://www.perrisrecords.com/sale_cds/

Metal master
Metal master
martinsane

Number of posts : 924

PostSubject: Re: Skid Row Clones   Skid Row Clones - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 10, 2016 4:37 am

With regards to newer Skid Row sounding bands:

Shiraz Lane-

Undone-

Smokin' Aces-

As for older bands:
Dead Serious

Brain is locked up at the moment, maybe more will come to me later...
Back to top Go down
brokentulsa
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
brokentulsa

Number of posts : 1779

PostSubject: Re: Skid Row Clones   Skid Row Clones - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 13, 2016 11:16 am

Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Thrasher73

PostSubject: Re: Skid Row Clones   Skid Row Clones - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 13, 2016 6:10 pm

That Shiraz Lane is good stuff. I need some of that!
Back to top Go down
brokentulsa
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
brokentulsa

Number of posts : 1779

PostSubject: Re: Skid Row Clones   Skid Row Clones - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 14, 2016 4:56 am

Back to top Go down
mikeinfla
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mikeinfla

Number of posts : 2477

PostSubject: Re: Skid Row Clones   Skid Row Clones - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 14, 2016 8:07 am

Speaking of EMN, Rick Ruhl was in a band called Hard Knox from Knoxville, TN. I saw them a few times when I was in high school. Not sure if the band renamed or if he left and joined EMN. Not sure if he is on this song or not as they had a few different singers. I know when I saw Hard Knox in the 80's Rick was on vocals.

Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Skid Row Clones   Skid Row Clones - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 14, 2016 10:00 am

mikeinfla wrote:
Speaking of EMN, Rick Ruhl was in a band called Hard Knox from Knoxville, TN. I saw them a few times when I was in high school. Not sure if the band renamed or if he left and joined EMN. Not sure if he is on this song or not as they had a few different singers. I know when I saw Hard Knox in the 80's Rick was on vocals.

If this is the same Hard Knox (and I believe it is), their album Psyco's R Us was recently re-released through Divebomb Records...

http://tribunalrecords.bandcamp.com/album/psycos-r-us-deluxe-edition

Check out Track 2, 'R.R. Tracks'. It's the same song, isn't it? I picked up the album recently and it's very good. I'd recommend it.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mikeinfla

PostSubject: Re: Skid Row Clones   Skid Row Clones - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 14, 2016 1:59 pm

Yeah same song but I am wondering if it is the same band. The bandcamp link does have the band name and the song but I believe it is a different band... Whoever posted the video may have gotten the band mixed up and posted the song from Psycho's R Us by mistake mixing up the bands... I am not familiar with the song so I assumed it was the same band.

I think this is from the Knoxville band Hard Knox and it is definitely demo cassette quality

Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

PostSubject: Re: Skid Row Clones   Skid Row Clones - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 14, 2016 2:11 pm

Thanks for posting santa cruz. Really good stuff.
Back to top Go down
mikeinfla
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mikeinfla

PostSubject: Re: Skid Row Clones   Skid Row Clones - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 14, 2016 3:24 pm

Yeah, Santa Cruz and those 2 tunes from Shiraz Lane are awesome.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Skid Row Clones   Skid Row Clones - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 14, 2016 4:19 pm

mikeinfla wrote:
Yeah same song but I am wondering if it is the same band. The bandcamp link does have the band name and the song but I believe it is a different band... Whoever posted the video may have gotten the band mixed up and posted the song from Psycho's R Us by mistake mixing up the bands... I am not familiar with the song so I assumed it was the same band.

I think this is from the Knoxville band Hard Knox and it is definitely demo cassette quality

Looks like Heavy Harmonies has listings for 2 separate bands named Hard Knox. One's from Knoxville (1980's) and one is from Utah (1990's). They both sound pretty decent though.

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Skid Row Clones   Skid Row Clones - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 20, 2016 11:18 am

Thrasher73 wrote:

I got outbid on that Shiraz Lane album. It wasn't any of you peckerheads, was it?

angry

Metal master
Metal master
martinsane

Number of posts : 924

PostSubject: Re: Skid Row Clones   Skid Row Clones - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 21, 2016 9:48 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Thrasher73 wrote:

I got outbid on that Shiraz Lane album. It wasn't any of you peckerheads, was it?

angry

Were you biding on the indie released EP
Skid Row Clones - Page 2 E4763b974774689e0806b98fe6331ac9
or the new full length on Frontiers.
Skid Row Clones - Page 2 Maxresdefault
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Skid Row Clones   Skid Row Clones - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 21, 2016 10:09 pm

The full-length. Never saw that ep.

Thrasher73

PostSubject: Re: Skid Row Clones   Skid Row Clones - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 22, 2016 1:55 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Thrasher73 wrote:

angry

Nope wasn't me. I did get a digital download of it though. Best new sleaze I've heard for a while!
Back to top Go down
7thSecond
Metal master
Metal master
7thSecond

Number of posts : 668

PostSubject: Re: Skid Row Clones   Skid Row Clones - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 27, 2016 4:50 pm

Witchfinder wrote:

Slik Toxik

I just bought this cd the other day and it's pretty good. Not sure it really reminds me of Skid Row, but it's good nonetheless.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Skid Row Clones   Skid Row Clones - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2018 10:18 am

I'm listening to Slik Toxik's Doin' the Nasty today. Anyone have ST's follow-up album Irrelevant? It came out in '94, smack dab in the middle of the grunge/alternative movement, so I'm wondering if it's worth picking up.

Did they stick to their Skid Row sound or try to grunge things up? They released a single/video and it's kinda slow and grungy, but I wonder if the whole album is like that.

Thoughts or opinions welcome.

PostSubject: Re: Skid Row Clones   Skid Row Clones - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Skid Row Clones
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next