Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Ratt's 'Detonator': Love it or hate it?

Go down 
+15
ZombieHavoc
manny
brokentulsa
ResedaCountryClub
glassprison
mikeinfla
krokus
Troublezone
thejokeriv
Witchfinder
DallasBlack
the sentinel
Fat Freddy
muckie
19 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

Ratt's 'Detonator': Love it or hate it? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ratt's 'Detonator': Love it or hate it?   Ratt's 'Detonator': Love it or hate it? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 01, 2015 12:28 pm

muckie wrote:
It's funny you say that. I actually like "Givin' Yourself Away". It's a terribly cheesy power ballad but it has charm for me none the less.

That's a good one.

metalinmyveins' post is actually what I expected when I saw this thread. I'm as shocked as he is that most of the posts have been positive Very Happy. I make no apologies though that I really like this album. I'm an AOR buff so I don't mind the fact that it's not balls out heavy. Not all music has to be that way, there is nothing wrong with enjoying melodic and catchy music. I personally can't listen to just heavy music all the time, I need variety. For example; I spent all last week listening to pop rock from the 80s and early 90s. This week I'm going with melodic metal and the next week is thrash.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40559

PostSubject: Re: Ratt's 'Detonator': Love it or hate it?   Ratt's 'Detonator': Love it or hate it? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 01, 2015 1:34 pm

DallasBlack wrote:
Not all music has to be that way, there is nothing wrong with enjoying melodic and catchy music.

I couldn't agree more. And that describes this album to a tee.
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: Ratt's 'Detonator': Love it or hate it?   Ratt's 'Detonator': Love it or hate it? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 01, 2015 10:58 pm

DallasBlack wrote:
muckie wrote:
It's funny you say that. I actually like "Givin' Yourself Away". It's a terribly cheesy power ballad but it has charm for me none the less.

That's a good one.

metalinmyveins' post is actually what I expected when I saw this thread. I'm as shocked as he is that most of the posts have been positive Very Happy. I make no apologies though that I really like this album. I'm an AOR buff so I don't mind the fact that it's not balls out heavy. Not all music has to be that way, there is nothing wrong with enjoying melodic and catchy music. I personally can't listen to just heavy music all the time, I need variety. For example; I spent all last week listening to pop rock from the 80s and early 90s. This week I'm going with melodic metal and the next week is thrash.

I love AOR, but if that's what RATT was trying to achieve, I think they failed miserably.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Ratt's 'Detonator': Love it or hate it?   Ratt's 'Detonator': Love it or hate it? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 02, 2015 4:53 am

metalinmyveins wrote:
DallasBlack wrote:
muckie wrote:

That's a good one.

I love AOR, but if that's what RATT was trying to achieve, I think they failed miserably.

I greatly disagree but hey, not everyone is going to have the same opinion Wink.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

Number of posts : 2348

PostSubject: Re: Ratt's 'Detonator': Love it or hate it?   Ratt's 'Detonator': Love it or hate it? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 02, 2015 9:31 am

I re-listened to Detonator yesterday, as I haven't heard it in a while...aside from the admittedly terrible lyrics--TERRIBLE lyrics--I really don't see how someone who once enjoyed an earlier Ratt record would so vehemently hate that one?

As far as a band diluting their sound (and really, in my opinion, the EP is the only Ratt release that wasn't diluted to conform to the stuff that was popular at the time), Detonator really seems like an inoffensive entry.
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: Ratt's 'Detonator': Love it or hate it?   Ratt's 'Detonator': Love it or hate it? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 07, 2015 8:25 am

ZombieHavoc wrote:
I re-listened to Detonator yesterday, as I haven't heard it in a while...aside from the admittedly terrible lyrics--TERRIBLE lyrics--I really don't see how someone who once enjoyed an earlier RATT record would so vehemently hate that one?

Really? Detonator is worlds apart from a guitar sound regarding anything from the E.P thru "Invasion of Your Privacy". Stephen Pearcy was never a lyrical genius, but it's amazing how an edgy riff can disguise really weak sophomoric lyrics. That's what I think you have with "Detonator" in a nutshell. One simply can't hide the lyrical aspect anymore, because there's been such a drop off with the guitars from both Crosby and DeMartini. In all fairness to Robbin Crosby, he only had two writing credits on this album, which I would cite as a problem. His stamp is all over those early offerings. The other problem with this album; Desmond Child...ugh... I mean 9 credits on this album, plus he was the producer and Dianne Warren had a writing credit! That's a recipe for disaster. Is it any wonder that RATT was done after this album? Simply stated, no.
Back to top Go down
stormspell
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stormspell

Number of posts : 1593

PostSubject: Re: Ratt's 'Detonator': Love it or hate it?   Ratt's 'Detonator': Love it or hate it? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 07, 2015 10:01 pm

Its an okay album, given the times and everything. I wouldn't compare it to Winger's Pull though - Detonator cannot hold a candle to the amazing awesomeness Pull is.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cdbaby.com/all/stormspell
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ratt's 'Detonator': Love it or hate it?   Ratt's 'Detonator': Love it or hate it? - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Ratt's 'Detonator': Love it or hate it?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2