Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Nelson: were they any good?

Go down 
+18
exact33
Required Fields
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
Boris2008
manny
Shawn Of Fire
MetalGuy71
Eyesore
glassprison
Hadley
80s Metal Lady
Troublezone
tohostudios
Fat Freddy
Witchfinder
Temple of Blood
muckie
22 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

Nelson: were they any good? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nelson: were they any good?   Nelson: were they any good? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 17, 2015 11:46 am

Yeah that creepy dog cover one was always in the used bins.

Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7632

PostSubject: Re: Nelson: were they any good?   Nelson: were they any good? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 17, 2015 11:54 am

I just discovered that they have a collection of early demos called Before The Rain and they are free for Amazon Prime customers. I listened to a couple of songs and the difference between the demos and the finished product is striking. They had a gritty, tough sound before Geffen got a hold of them. You'd be surprised at what they sound like and how heavy they were.

Oh wait, I was lying. The demos are virtually indistinguishable from the album versions. These guys were always soft serve to the core.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Nelson: were they any good?   Nelson: were they any good? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 17, 2015 12:33 pm

Witchfinder wrote:
These guys were always soft serve to the core.

When you come from this background...
Nelson: were they any good? - Page 2 The-Adventures-of-Ozzie-Harriet

...The Nelson brothers looked like Slayer in comparison. Razz
Nelson: were they any good? - Page 2 The-Nelson-Brothers

Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7632

PostSubject: Re: Nelson: were they any good?   Nelson: were they any good? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 17, 2015 1:43 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Witchfinder wrote:
These guys were always soft serve to the core.

When you come from this background...
Nelson: were they any good? - Page 2 The-Adventures-of-Ozzie-Harriet

...The Nelson brothers looked like Slayer in comparison. Razz

lol!

Well their Dad was loaded up with drugs when he was killed in a plane crash. That's a pretty hardcore way to go.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Nelson: were they any good?   Nelson: were they any good? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 17, 2015 2:00 pm

Their early demos were very reminiscent of stuff like SARCAFAGO and HELLHAMMER but then they got an A&R rep and a record contract and they began alienating their fan base.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Nelson: were they any good?   Nelson: were they any good? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 17, 2015 2:03 pm

Strong, melodic AOR band. Good hooks, excellent vocal harmonies. About as dangerous as Dora The Explorer at a One Direction concert.

mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Nelson: were they any good?   Nelson: were they any good? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 17, 2015 2:05 pm

I hated them and I still hate them.

Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Nelson: were they any good?   Nelson: were they any good? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 17, 2015 2:50 pm

I had no idea the Olsen twins had been around so long!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Nelson: were they any good?   Nelson: were they any good? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 17, 2015 2:58 pm

manny wrote:

They weren't significant enough to even waste the effort of hating them. I just ignored them.
Back to top Go down
Hadley
Metal master
Metal master

Number of posts : 992

PostSubject: Re: Nelson: were they any good?   Nelson: were they any good? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 17, 2015 3:23 pm

Re: That "peace out" album cover. Anyone else reminded of "The Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking"? Ok, its not the same thing, but they both have a naked girl shown from behind walking down the road.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Nelson: were they any good?   Nelson: were they any good? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 17, 2015 3:32 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
Their early demos were very reminiscent of stuff like SARCAFAGO and HELLHAMMER but then they got an A&R rep and a record contract and they began alienating their fan base.

lol!
Back to top Go down
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

Number of posts : 2998

PostSubject: Re: Nelson: were they any good?   Nelson: were they any good? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 17, 2015 3:37 pm

They were on the Monsters of Rock Cruise a couple of years ago.  I went up to one of them and said, "Lita Ford - I have always loved you"!  Turned out it actually was not either one of them but some sidekick/intern/whatever.  I drink a lot.
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28617

PostSubject: Re: Nelson: were they any good?   Nelson: were they any good? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 17, 2015 5:33 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:

lol!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: Nelson: were they any good?   Nelson: were they any good? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 17, 2015 9:53 pm

Their first couple were kinda ok but Lighting Strikes Twice is fantastic.

Getizzyback
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Getizzyback

Number of posts : 428

PostSubject: Re: Nelson: were they any good?   Nelson: were they any good? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 18, 2015 2:10 pm

I can see they ain't nobody's favorite, but I for one have always loved well polished hard rock 'n roll. Nothing
special, but I dig it. Those two guys look like pimples you just can't squeeze!
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Nelson: were they any good?   Nelson: were they any good? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 18, 2015 10:06 pm

They were good... for what they were, AOR/pop rock. They weren't supposed to be balls to the wall metal and as far as I know was never advertised as such. As a kid growing up in the 80s, I loved this kind of music. Super macho-ism wasn't really a concern for me when it came to music. Good melody and memorability was all that was required and they delivered. Not surprised they don't have much love here as most members were teenagers (hormone heavy male teenagers to be exact) during Nelson's run. I'm sure they felt about Nelson the way I thought about boy bands when I was a teenager (though give Nelson some credit, they wrote their own music and IMO had more balls than Backdoor Boys or N'suck). However, despite the hate their getting here, I'm sure they were crying all the way to the bank Wink.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Hadley
Metal master
Metal master

PostSubject: Re: Nelson: were they any good?   Nelson: were they any good? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 19, 2015 9:46 pm

It didnt help that they came out at a time when hard rock was at its lightest (1990). I like many of the lighter hair bands like Firehouse and Warrant and Winger and the like, but they made stuff like Keel sound like Testament by comparison. When it comes to the "hair bands", i much prefer the stuff that came out between 82-86 where it at least sounded like metal (granted, 1986 is when Bon Jovi broke out, and you had lighter stuff like Autograph and Night Ranger before that, but the point remains).
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Nelson: were they any good?   Nelson: were they any good? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 21, 2015 11:20 am

Quote :
They were good... for what they were, AOR/pop rock. They weren't supposed to be balls to the wall metal and as far as I know was never advertised as such.

This

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
bgsully

Number of posts : 1692

PostSubject: Re: Nelson: were they any good?   Nelson: were they any good? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 21, 2015 2:51 pm

S.D. wrote:
manny wrote:

They weren't significant enough to even waste the effort of hating them.  I just ignored them.

Ditto
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Nelson: were they any good?   Nelson: were they any good? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 21, 2015 3:20 pm

Here's the new single, 'Rockstar', from Nelson's latest release to determine whether Nelson is the band for you...

Metal master
Metal master

PostSubject: Re: Nelson: were they any good?   Nelson: were they any good? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 22, 2015 12:51 am

Not bad!
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Nelson: were they any good?   Nelson: were they any good? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 22, 2015 10:48 am

Hadley wrote:
Not bad!

Yea, I thought so too. Better than I expected anyway. Without all the pressure of a big record label, these guys can put out some decent tunes on their own. Go figure. Razz

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40562

PostSubject: Re: Nelson: were they any good?   Nelson: were they any good? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 22, 2015 11:26 am

It's ok. Better than expected.
Back to top Go down
Getizzyback
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Getizzyback

Number of posts : 428

PostSubject: Re: Nelson: were they any good?   Nelson: were they any good? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 23, 2015 5:31 pm

First thing I heard when the song started........LOVERBOY! lol
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28617

PostSubject: Re: Nelson: were they any good?   Nelson: were they any good? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 23, 2015 7:53 pm

DallasBlack wrote:
They were good... for what they were, AOR/pop rock. They weren't supposed to be balls to the wall metal and as far as I know was never advertised as such. As a kid growing up in the 80s, I loved this kind of music. Super macho-ism wasn't really a concern for me when it came to music. Good melody and memorability was all that was required and they delivered. Not surprised they don't have much love here as most members were teenagers (hormone heavy male teenagers to be exact) during Nelson's run. I'm sure they felt about Nelson the way I thought about boy bands when I was a teenager (though give Nelson some credit, they wrote their own music and IMO had more balls than Backdoor Boys or N'suck). However, despite the hate their getting here, I'm sure they were crying all the way to the bank Wink.

Even though they were never even remotely close to metal, they were (unfortunately) labeled a metal act by some sources, perhaps the softest band along with Bon Jovi I can think of ever got marketed as a metal band. I can understand where a lot of bands who received the metal label in error got the label, but why Nelson ever got considered a metal band is beyond me.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Nelson: were they any good?   Nelson: were they any good? - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Nelson: were they any good?
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next