Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Down any good?

Go down 
+10
manny
akeldama
Lurideath
mez
nevermore
MetalGuy71
mc666
Fat Freddy
Troublezone
fingers
14 posters
AuthorMessage
fingers
Metal master
Metal master
fingers

Number of posts : 815

Down any good? Empty
PostSubject: Down any good?   Down any good? Icon_minitimeWed May 06, 2009 7:33 am

Just wandering what you all think of Down Phil Anselmo's post Pantera band
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

Down any good? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Down any good?   Down any good? Icon_minitimeWed May 06, 2009 7:50 am

I think it's pretty good but nothing mindblowing.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37656

Down any good? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Down any good?   Down any good? Icon_minitimeWed May 06, 2009 8:35 am

I had the first Down album when it came out... it was OK but not a keeper. Traded it off many years ago, haven't bothered with any of their other output

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down

Down any good? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Down any good?   Down any good? Icon_minitimeWed May 06, 2009 8:37 am

Down's appeal to me was purely Pepper Keenan related. Like Freddy, I had the debut, liked it well enough but didn't look into anything since.
Back to top Go down

Down any good? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Down any good?   Down any good? Icon_minitimeWed May 06, 2009 8:38 am

If Pepper would get rid of Phil I'd probably like them. lol!
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Down any good? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Down any good?   Down any good? Icon_minitimeWed May 06, 2009 8:50 am

detuned wrote:
If Pepper would get rid of Phil I'd probably like them. lol!

Unfortunately Pepper isn't the shot caller or he'd at least share some of the lead vocals.
Back to top Go down

Down any good? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Down any good?   Down any good? Icon_minitimeWed May 06, 2009 8:51 am

I was joking. At this point there is 0% chance that I would ever buy anything Phil Anselmo released for the rest of my life.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

Down any good? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Down any good?   Down any good? Icon_minitimeWed May 06, 2009 9:55 am

i like them fine, but prefer to hear Kirk in Crowbar.

MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

Down any good? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Down any good?   Down any good? Icon_minitimeWed May 06, 2009 10:18 am

I like 'em. I've got all 3 of their albums and yea, not mind-blowing or anything, but good.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 25900

Down any good? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Down any good?   Down any good? Icon_minitimeWed May 06, 2009 2:10 pm

I liked the first disc a good bit. The other 2 are ok. They just aren't everything they're hyped up to be.
Back to top Go down
mez
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
mez

Number of posts : 375

Down any good? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Down any good?   Down any good? Icon_minitimeWed May 06, 2009 4:04 pm

I like their stuff, but for some reason it sounds like Soundgarden a bit (not completely) to me. I am probably the only person in this world that feels that way.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Down any good? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Down any good?   Down any good? Icon_minitimeWed May 06, 2009 6:12 pm

mc666 wrote:
i like them fine, but prefer to hear Kirk in Crowbar.

headbanger
Back to top Go down
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3893

Down any good? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Down any good?   Down any good? Icon_minitimeWed May 06, 2009 6:36 pm

nope not good at all.
Back to top Go down
akeldama
Metal is Forever
akeldama

Number of posts : 7831

Down any good? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Down any good?   Down any good? Icon_minitimeWed May 06, 2009 8:42 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
I like 'em. I've got all 3 of their albums and yea, not mind-blowing or anything, but good.

Ditto
Back to top Go down
fingers
Metal master
Metal master
fingers

Down any good? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Down any good?   Down any good? Icon_minitimeWed May 06, 2009 9:34 pm

I've heard a few songs on youtube and I am glad Phil is actually singing again not screaming and some of the songs I heard are very deep and somewhat bluesy I guess it was from the devastation Hurricane Katrina had on his home town hit him hard big time
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

Down any good? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Down any good?   Down any good? Icon_minitimeWed May 06, 2009 10:34 pm

I like the first two Down CD's I own, very stoney vibe with a touch of Southern Rock feel on certain tracks, to quote Metalguy 'Not Mind Blowing but good'
Back to top Go down

Down any good? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Down any good?   Down any good? Icon_minitimeThu May 07, 2009 12:01 am

manny wrote:
I like the first two Down CD's I own, very stoney vibe with a touch of Southern Rock feel on certain tracks, to quote Metalguy 'Not Mind Blowing but good'

You know what's weird...that description is right up my alley..."stoney vibe with a touch of southern rock"...plus Pepper Keenan is in the band and I'm a major fan. But...Down BORES THE LIVING HELL OUT OF ME.
Back to top Go down
fingers
Metal master
Metal master
fingers

Down any good? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Down any good?   Down any good? Icon_minitimeSat May 23, 2009 1:03 pm

I recently got their recent album and it's surprisingly good and Phil's singing has improved dramitically and his songwriting has improved as well. I agree with most of you that isn't mindblowing but since the Mainstream metal world is going through a really bad phase at the moment infested with this horrible metalcore I think it needs a band like Down to clean it up and also encourage metalheads to get into blues as well so ye I give 2 kudos and for Phil and co even though Phil behaved badly to the Abbot Family 5 years ago and now has a crappy Kurt Cobain like hairdo
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

Down any good? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Down any good?   Down any good? Icon_minitimeSat May 23, 2009 3:01 pm

Downs debut cd had some great moments and some crappy ones to. Stone the Crow is still an amazing song.
Back to top Go down
sam
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
sam

Number of posts : 3012

Down any good? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Down any good?   Down any good? Icon_minitimeSat May 23, 2009 9:23 pm

only have one of their cds, bought it, listened to it, haven't pulled it out since.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/samthebrutal
fingers
Metal master
Metal master
fingers

Down any good? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Down any good?   Down any good? Icon_minitimeWed May 27, 2009 3:22 am

certainly better than Superjoint Ritual
Back to top Go down
INVADERS
Metal master
Metal master
INVADERS

Number of posts : 937

Down any good? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Down any good?   Down any good? Icon_minitimeWed May 27, 2009 3:54 am

I really like them.
Everything they have released has been excellent and live they are even better IMO.
Down rules!
Back to top Go down
MetalH
Metal master
Metal master
MetalH

Number of posts : 647

Down any good? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Down any good?   Down any good? Icon_minitimeThu May 28, 2009 12:26 pm

I bought Down III when it came out. Like everyone else said, it was ok, but nothing amazing. I ended up selling it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/bryanlovestrek
Sponsored content

Down any good? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Down any good?   Down any good? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Down any good?
Page 1 of 1