Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Metal songs that tried to be profound but were actually ignorant?

Go down 
+16
Fat Freddy
Required Fields
Hadley
brokentulsa
DakotaRogers
Lari
corplhicks
manny
MetalGuy71
Witchfinder
Boris2008
Troublezone
Temple of Blood
Shawn Of Fire
Runicen
muckie
20 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
muckie
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
muckie

Number of posts : 493

Metal songs that tried to be profound but were actually ignorant? Empty
PostSubject: Metal songs that tried to be profound but were actually ignorant?   Metal songs that tried to be profound but were actually ignorant? Icon_minitimeFri Apr 10, 2015 1:16 pm

What examples would you give for metal songs that had extremely ignorant lyrics that tried to be deep but failed hard (with you at least)? The obvious one that comes to mind is One in a Million by Guns 'n Roses but of course with so many differing viewpoints I'm sure some will disagree.
Back to top Go down
Runicen
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

Number of posts : 1598

PostSubject: Re: Metal songs that tried to be profound but were actually ignorant?   Metal songs that tried to be profound but were actually ignorant? Icon_minitimeFri Apr 10, 2015 1:21 pm

GnR also had some absolute hits in that area. "Estranged" comes to mind as one that worked.

Derping for the moment on other songs that were aiming for philosophy and ended up in the gutter though. I tend to blot out memories of songs that made me cringe, so that's going to hurt a bit.

Actually, though not "metal" per se, Queen had a few "Won't somebody think of the children" songs like "Is This the World We Created?" that aimed for this deep, compassionate view and just came off like a bunch of rich dudes writing a fiction about what poverty must be like. It felt like a cheap shot in execution. Listening to people with more money than God lamenting the plight of the poor (presumably so all the "little people" could go out there and be all charitable) always rubbed me the wrong way, but I'm going to guess that's not quite what you were going for.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Metal songs that tried to be profound but were actually ignorant?   Metal songs that tried to be profound but were actually ignorant? Icon_minitimeFri Apr 10, 2015 2:14 pm

I would think listing examples that actually worked would be a much shorter list than the ones that didn't work.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Metal songs that tried to be profound but were actually ignorant?   Metal songs that tried to be profound but were actually ignorant? Icon_minitimeFri Apr 10, 2015 2:15 pm

Anything by Bon Jovi after 1986 that espoused the trials and tribulations of "the working man".

Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Metal songs that tried to be profound but were actually ignorant?   Metal songs that tried to be profound but were actually ignorant? Icon_minitimeFri Apr 10, 2015 2:31 pm

Most of them!

One that stands out to me was the quickly-abandoned pro-environment songs that 80s thrash bands had like "Greenhouse Effect".

Actually I just thought of another that was worse. All those stupid anti-PMRC songs. You'd think it was worse than apartheid the way the bands talked about it.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: Metal songs that tried to be profound but were actually ignorant?   Metal songs that tried to be profound but were actually ignorant? Icon_minitimeFri Apr 10, 2015 2:46 pm

Most songs written by Kerry King. Don't get me wrong... I'm a Slayer fan. But the guy is just so closed minded and hostile all the time. He likes to point out some obvious flaws in religion but doesn't bother to see any of the positive elements.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Metal songs that tried to be profound but were actually ignorant?   Metal songs that tried to be profound but were actually ignorant? Icon_minitimeFri Apr 10, 2015 3:18 pm

Most of Hetfield's more recent stuff, from the oh so dull recovery stuff to the frankly preposterous claim that he's the table!  surprised
Back to top Go down
Runicen
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

PostSubject: Re: Metal songs that tried to be profound but were actually ignorant?   Metal songs that tried to be profound but were actually ignorant? Icon_minitimeFri Apr 10, 2015 3:25 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
Actually I just thought of another that was worse.  All those stupid anti-PMRC songs.  You'd think it was worse than apartheid the way the bands talked about it.  

Some bands managed it pretty well. A smile works its way onto my face every time I hear "Parental Guidance" by Judas Priest. Only loosely related, but Ozzy's "Miracle Man" is also pretty solid on that front.

Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: Metal songs that tried to be profound but were actually ignorant?   Metal songs that tried to be profound but were actually ignorant? Icon_minitimeFri Apr 10, 2015 3:44 pm

Not all anti-PMRC songs are bad... Hook In Mouth by Megadeth and Hard On You by Flotsam & Jetsam are great IMO.
Back to top Go down
Runicen
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

PostSubject: Re: Metal songs that tried to be profound but were actually ignorant?   Metal songs that tried to be profound but were actually ignorant? Icon_minitimeFri Apr 10, 2015 3:47 pm

Lest we forget: "The Morality Squad" by Gwar is always good for a laugh.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7632

PostSubject: Re: Metal songs that tried to be profound but were actually ignorant?   Metal songs that tried to be profound but were actually ignorant? Icon_minitimeFri Apr 10, 2015 4:16 pm

Any song that touches on politics is usually horrible and stupid. They become immediately dated and address complex issues with simple nostrums. One of the reason I enjoy heavy metal is it's lack of profundity and it's almost complete rejection of politics as lyrical fodder.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Metal songs that tried to be profound but were actually ignorant?   Metal songs that tried to be profound but were actually ignorant? Icon_minitimeFri Apr 10, 2015 4:26 pm

Aerosmith's 'Janie's Got a Gun' and 'Living on the Edge' always struck me as extremely ham-fisted and awkward. They built their career on sleazy rock n roll. Don't try and make some deep statements on the state of the world, ok? Stick to walking this way and being the Lord of thighs.

Motley Crue's 'Time for a Change' fits into that category too. Noone want to be preached down to from Nikki Sixx.

mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Metal songs that tried to be profound but were actually ignorant?   Metal songs that tried to be profound but were actually ignorant? Icon_minitimeFri Apr 10, 2015 4:28 pm

Witchfinder wrote:
Any song that touches on politics is usually horrible and stupid.  They become immediately dated and address complex issues with simple nostrums. One of the reason I enjoy heavy metal is it's lack of profundity and it's almost complete rejection of politics as lyrical fodder.  

I do not agree with this, Dylan has written political lyrics, but the mistake he does not make is tie it to certain personality and makes a bit more universal.

Springteen is hit or miss in this area.

As far as metal bands, I enjoy Warrior Soul's political rantings against everything, Rage Against the Machine wrote semi-intelligent lyrics when it comes to politics, thou I disagreed with a lot of it, I am pretty liberal when it comes to my politics but those dudes made me seem like Ted Cruz in comparison
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Metal songs that tried to be profound but were actually ignorant?   Metal songs that tried to be profound but were actually ignorant? Icon_minitimeFri Apr 10, 2015 4:40 pm

I love a good political song myself. War Pigs, Children of the Grave, Disposable Heroes, Kill the Poor, Peace Sells, Paradise City. Politics is life and life is politics, take that away from metal and all you've got is Satan, humping and dragons
Back to top Go down
Runicen
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

PostSubject: Re: Metal songs that tried to be profound but were actually ignorant?   Metal songs that tried to be profound but were actually ignorant? Icon_minitimeFri Apr 10, 2015 4:42 pm

Making the message universal seems to be the trick.  I know Floyd fans who'd throw their shoes at me for this, but I LOVE "The Final Cut" both as a record and in the way it approaches being "anti-war."  

First, it makes war itself seem like some really stupid playground game.  No, "Oh the horror" from a guy who didn't serve.  So far, so good.

Then, even though it's pretty obvious it's "about" the Falklands War, the basic message isn't "Check out how stupid THIS war is," as much as it is, "Wasn't WWII supposed to end this $#@%?  What are we still doing here?"  And that second point is pretty much why it still applies and why it's still awesome.  Ditto for Roger Waters' "Amused to Death," even though neither it nor Final Cut are remotely "feel good" listens.

Now, my gushing about political messages in music out of the way, what's wrong with Satan, humping and dragons? Jesus, that sounds like a full life to me!
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Metal songs that tried to be profound but were actually ignorant?   Metal songs that tried to be profound but were actually ignorant? Icon_minitimeFri Apr 10, 2015 4:44 pm

Boris2008 wrote:
I love a good political song myself. War Pigs, Children of the Grave, Disposable Heroes, Kill the Poor, Peace Sells, Paradise City. Politics is life and life is politics, take that away from metal and all you've got is Satan, humping and dragons

Thank you for this posting, all great songs and great quote about politics= life
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: Metal songs that tried to be profound but were actually ignorant?   Metal songs that tried to be profound but were actually ignorant? Icon_minitimeFri Apr 10, 2015 4:56 pm

Troublezone wrote:
Not all anti-PMRC songs are bad... Hook In Mouth by Megadeth and Hard On You by Flotsam & Jetsam are great IMO.

Yes, those are great songs ... in spite of the juvenile lyrical stances.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

PostSubject: Re: Metal songs that tried to be profound but were actually ignorant?   Metal songs that tried to be profound but were actually ignorant? Icon_minitimeFri Apr 10, 2015 5:01 pm

Boris2008 wrote:

By politics, I am referring to songs that are explicitly political - as in calling out/promoting a particular politician, party, etc... not merely anti-war songs.

Metal has very few overtly political songs or bands.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: Metal songs that tried to be profound but were actually ignorant?   Metal songs that tried to be profound but were actually ignorant? Icon_minitimeFri Apr 10, 2015 5:01 pm

I don't think all political slants in metal lyrics are juvenile but I am tempted to say that all the ones that thrash bands espoused in the 80s were.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

PostSubject: Re: Metal songs that tried to be profound but were actually ignorant?   Metal songs that tried to be profound but were actually ignorant? Icon_minitimeFri Apr 10, 2015 5:07 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
I don't think all political slants in metal lyrics are juvenile but I am tempted to say that all the ones that thrash bands espoused in the 80s were.

For me, Sacred Reich is the perfect example of this.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Metal songs that tried to be profound but were actually ignorant?   Metal songs that tried to be profound but were actually ignorant? Icon_minitimeFri Apr 10, 2015 5:10 pm

Most metal lyrics suck. Just sayin'. You compare metal lyricists to Bob Dylan, Neil Young, Nick Cave, and Leonard Cohen, and there's no contest. On an objective level, while these mentioned names and the like adhere to and build on the influence of their contemporaries, most metal lyricists use a rambling form of poeticism that reflects more of a singular free-thought expressionism. On a subjective level, it's largely amateurish and quasi-intellectual. The music is the primary focus.

There are exceptions. Wasted Time by Skid Row. Space-Dye Vest and Voices by Dream Theater. Geezer did a solid job. Little Dreamer by Van Halen. These are examples full of poetic creativity.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: Metal songs that tried to be profound but were actually ignorant?   Metal songs that tried to be profound but were actually ignorant? Icon_minitimeFri Apr 10, 2015 5:14 pm

Runicen wrote:
Temple of Blood wrote:
Actually I just thought of another that was worse.  All those stupid anti-PMRC songs.  You'd think it was worse than apartheid the way the bands talked about it.  

Some bands managed it pretty well.  A smile works its way onto my face every time I hear "Parental Guidance" by Judas Priest.  Only loosely related, but Ozzy's "Miracle Man" is also pretty solid on that front.

PG is an embarrassment to that band and hard rock/metal. A desperate middle-aged rock band looking for a new audience. MM isn't about the PMRC at all.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

PostSubject: Re: Metal songs that tried to be profound but were actually ignorant?   Metal songs that tried to be profound but were actually ignorant? Icon_minitimeFri Apr 10, 2015 5:16 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
Runicen wrote:
Temple of Blood wrote:

Some bands managed it pretty well.  A smile works its way onto my face every time I hear "Parental Guidance" by Judas Priest.  Only loosely related, but Ozzy's "Miracle Man" is also pretty solid on that front.

PG is an embarrassment to that band and hard rock/metal.  A desperate middle-aged rock band looking for a new audience.  MM isn't about the PMRC at all.

Such a terrible song. Just horrifically bad.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

PostSubject: Re: Metal songs that tried to be profound but were actually ignorant?   Metal songs that tried to be profound but were actually ignorant? Icon_minitimeFri Apr 10, 2015 5:20 pm

Jon Schaffer's Sons of Liberty project in its entirety.

The music is great, but all the lyrics do is make me think of the Government Totally Sucks dude:
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Metal songs that tried to be profound but were actually ignorant?   Metal songs that tried to be profound but were actually ignorant? Icon_minitimeFri Apr 10, 2015 5:31 pm

Lari wrote:
Jon Schaffer's Sons of Liberty project in its entirety.

AWESOME music.

The lyrics make it completely unlistenable. Gave my copy away. Has nothing to do with personal conviction, either. It just sounds f*cking stupid.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Metal songs that tried to be profound but were actually ignorant?   Metal songs that tried to be profound but were actually ignorant? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Metal songs that tried to be profound but were actually ignorant?
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next