Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

any steve vai fans here

Go down 
+7
criss3o
mr.electric39
GrandNational
MetalGuy71
Troublezone
stepcousin
Smindas
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

any steve vai fans here Empty
PostSubject: any steve vai fans here   any steve vai fans here Icon_minitimeSun Sep 23, 2007 12:07 pm

i saw him at the state theater in minneapolis a few days ago and he was amazing as always. he filmed a dvd here too. but we met him after the show and hes a really nice guy and he talk to us for awhile. any other vai fans here?

im on the right.
any steve vai fans here N6689412
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Number of posts : 2546

PostSubject: Re: any steve vai fans here   any steve vai fans here Icon_minitimeSun Sep 23, 2007 12:39 pm

I'm a Vai fan, I've got a handful of his CDs - Passion & Warfare, Sex & Religion and Fire Garden. I'm not going to lie, I'm not too huge on P&W - it's good, but it's a little hard to digest. I'm far more keen on the other two, probably because they're not purely instrumental. Also, Devin Townsend makes some of the more average S&R songs rock.

I'd really like to catch Vai live, unfortunately I missed my opportunity this summer due to a lack of funds.

PostSubject: Re: any steve vai fans here   any steve vai fans here Icon_minitimeSun Sep 23, 2007 12:39 pm

Yes!!!....I own at least five of his cd's. "Passion and Warfare" is probably the one that gets more play. Steve is uniquely in a catagory of his own. He is definitely in my top ten of guitar gods.

🤘
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: any steve vai fans here   any steve vai fans here Icon_minitimeSun Sep 23, 2007 12:48 pm

Smindas wrote:
I'I'm not going to lie, I'm not too huge on P&W - it's good, but it's a little hard to digest. I'm far more keen on the other two, probably because they're not purely instrumental.

I actually agree. even though im wearing a p&w shirt i like his others better. Reall Illusions Reflections and Fire Garden are my favs right now. Alive in an Ultra World is brilliant too. Whispering a Prayer gives me goosebumps every time i listen. and it was sooooo good live. but since you didnt get to go you could always fork out 20 bucks when the dvd comes out and you can see the show i went too haha
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: any steve vai fans here   any steve vai fans here Icon_minitimeSun Sep 23, 2007 3:49 pm

Yes! One of my favorite guitarists!

I've never seen him live, but I'd love to.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: any steve vai fans here   any steve vai fans here Icon_minitimeSun Sep 23, 2007 5:07 pm

I like Vai.Though im probably a bigger fan of his work with DLR,Alcatrazz and Whitesnake.I tend to enjoy him alot more when he's with a "band".He's also another one of these guys who helped Ibanez sell a gizzilion guitars..............Nice pic!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: any steve vai fans here   any steve vai fans here Icon_minitimeSun Sep 23, 2007 8:26 pm

Yeah, his work on David Lee Roth's "Skyskraper" album is dynamite!
Back to top Go down
stepcousin
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stepcousin

Number of posts : 1268

PostSubject: Re: any steve vai fans here   any steve vai fans here Icon_minitimeSun Sep 23, 2007 9:51 pm

I think he's one of the most talented guitarists of all time. unbelievably talented. That being said, most of his work is a bit hard to digest; weird stuff, stuff that doesnt make much sense, he tries to be strange and different just for the sake of it. I love his songs that just plain rock with great melodies and riffs. When he turns loose, he's phenominal. I wish he would do more of that. and I really cant stand the whole orchestra crap that it seems everyone is doing these days.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: any steve vai fans here   any steve vai fans here Icon_minitimeSun Sep 23, 2007 10:19 pm

stepcousin wrote:
I think he's one of the most talented guitarists of all time. unbelievably talented. That being said, most of his work is a bit hard to digest; weird stuff, stuff that doesnt make much sense, he tries to be strange and different just for the sake of it.

I love the weird stuff. because its something different for guitar. playing the same stuff and playing fast can only go so far i guess.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

PostSubject: Re: any steve vai fans here   any steve vai fans here Icon_minitimeMon Sep 24, 2007 2:29 am

I used to have his Flexible record and i think he is very talented.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: any steve vai fans here   any steve vai fans here Icon_minitimeMon Sep 24, 2007 9:32 am

I think one of the things that distinguishes him from the pack is the fact that he is a bit 'strange'. I like that about him though.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: any steve vai fans here   any steve vai fans here Icon_minitimeMon Sep 24, 2007 10:18 am

I used to have Passion & Warfare on cassette at one time, but I didn't listen to it that much. I did like his work with Diamond Dave.

I've actually seen Vai three times live. Twice on the G3 tour and once at Zappa Plays Zappa (Dweezil playing the songs of Frank). Steve came out to play a few songs. The guy is quite incredible to watch. Besides being an outstanding guitarist, he's quite a showman and knows how to work a crowd.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: any steve vai fans here   any steve vai fans here Icon_minitimeMon Sep 24, 2007 2:04 pm

I've only got Flex-able, which is one sweet album, but I've also heard some of his Roth work. Yeah he's awesome
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: any steve vai fans here   any steve vai fans here Icon_minitimeMon Sep 24, 2007 2:09 pm

Very talented guitarist...but very wrong for Whitesnake in the early 90's. But that was Coverdale's doing, not to fault Vai.
Back to top Go down
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

PostSubject: Re: any steve vai fans here   any steve vai fans here Icon_minitimeThu Oct 04, 2007 10:40 pm

Steve is a really cool guy. I used to work at a video store in Hollywood and he would ride his bike down with his son, and he was always very nice. I had like 3 of his albums put away at the store so the next time he came, i could have him sign it. I quit before I ever got the chance. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
mr.electric39
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mr.electric39

Number of posts : 1828

PostSubject: Re: any steve vai fans here   any steve vai fans here Icon_minitimeFri Oct 05, 2007 9:02 pm

Love Vai's stuff.... His performance on the G3 Live in Denver is fantastic....
Back to top Go down
http://www.whitethronereviews.blogspot.com
criss3o
Metal student
Metal student
criss3o

Number of posts : 176

PostSubject: Re: any steve vai fans here   any steve vai fans here Icon_minitimeSat Oct 06, 2007 5:26 am

I LOVE Vai!!! I've been a fan since his Zappa days!!!

I've seen him 3xs!

Zappa '80
DLR '86
Solo '04
Back to top Go down
journeyman
Metal master
Metal master
journeyman

Number of posts : 883

PostSubject: Re: any steve vai fans here   any steve vai fans here Icon_minitimeSat Oct 13, 2007 10:32 pm

IronAge wrote:
I like Vai.Though im probably a bigger fan of his work with DLR,Alcatrazz and Whitesnake.I tend to enjoy him alot more when he's with a "band".He's also another one of these guys who helped Ibanez sell a gizzilion guitars..............Nice pic!

I agree, but I do like Passion and Warfare. Blue Powder is simply an awesome song. I can't tell you how many hours were spend trying to learn that song.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: any steve vai fans here   any steve vai fans here Icon_minitimeSun Oct 14, 2007 8:49 am

Yeah, "Passion and Warfare" is a great album!
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: any steve vai fans here   any steve vai fans here Icon_minitimeThu Sep 25, 2008 10:01 pm

I saw this old thread on Steve Vai and I am just going to comment on this one instead of starting a new one. I just watched my dvd of Steve Vai-Live At The Astoria London, excellent DVD, line up is incredible Steve Vai on the axe of course, Billy Sheenan-Bass, Tony MacAlphine on guitars and keyboards, two guys I have never heard of but excellent musicians Virgil Donati on drums and Dave Weiner on guitars.

Amazing performance, the word virtuoso comes to mind when I watch him play. I can hear in some sections of the songs his mentor Zappa's influence. These songs are so complicated you probably need a PHD just to transcribe these songs.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: any steve vai fans here   any steve vai fans here Icon_minitimeThu Sep 25, 2008 10:11 pm

Although not a huge fan of his recorded work (although I'm really partial to Fire Garden), there is no denying the unbelievable talent he possesses. I had the pleasure of seeing him on the G3 tour and he was incredible.

That was really what turned me around on him, seeing him live is an otherworldly experience.

It was a nice surprise too because the main reason I went to that concert was that Robert Fripp was the opening act.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: any steve vai fans here   any steve vai fans here Icon_minitimeThu Sep 25, 2008 10:14 pm

detuned wrote:
Although not a huge fan of his recorded work (although I'm really partial to Fire Garden), there is no denying the unbelievable talent he possesses. I had the pleasure of seeing him on the G3 tour and he was incredible.

That was really what turned me around on him, seeing him live is an otherworldly experience.

It was a nice surprise too because the main reason I went to that concert was that Robert Fripp was the opening act.

That is killer line up!!! I have never seen King Crimson live, Did Vai and Fripp jam together at the end of the show? Also does Robert Fripp still sit down during the entire set?
Back to top Go down
sam
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
sam

Number of posts : 3012

PostSubject: Re: any steve vai fans here   any steve vai fans here Icon_minitimeFri Sep 26, 2008 5:00 pm

great guitarist, much love here
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/samthebrutal

PostSubject: Re: any steve vai fans here   any steve vai fans here Icon_minitimeFri Sep 26, 2008 6:26 pm

manny wrote:

That is killer line up!!! I have never seen King Crimson live, Did Vai and Fripp jam together at the end of the show? Also does Robert Fripp still sit down during the entire set?

The full lineup for that show was Satriani, Vai, Steve Morse & Robert Fripp. (Kenny Wayne Shepard was originally scheduled but canceled, thus Morse filled in - THANK GOD). Anyway, phenomenal show.

Fripp did sit down during his set, but that's pretty much a necessity to work all the pedals it takes to create his soundscapes. However, Vai's keyboard player (another ex-Zappa guy whose name escapes me at the moment) came out and played guitar with Fripp on two songs, basically soloing over what Fripp was laying down. It was a very memorable gig.

Fripp also participated in the jam at the end of the night, looked like he was having fun. He used some completely wacky/innapropriate guitar effects for his solo spots...which made it even more Fripp-like.
Back to top Go down
akeldama
Metal is Forever
akeldama

Number of posts : 7831

PostSubject: Re: any steve vai fans here   any steve vai fans here Icon_minitimeFri Sep 26, 2008 6:38 pm

I'm a huge Vai fan. Fire Garden Phase 1 and Sound Theories are my faves.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: any steve vai fans here   any steve vai fans here Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

any steve vai fans here
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next