Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Whitesnake - The Purple Album

Go down 
+17
Glower
Metal Misfit
the sentinel
Temple of Blood
ZombieHavoc
James B.
Shawn Of Fire
glassprison
corplhicks
journeyman
Runicen
Boris2008
bass63
Dark Horseman
Witchfinder
MetalGuy71
21 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
glassprison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
glassprison

Number of posts : 2960

Whitesnake - The Purple Album - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Whitesnake - The Purple Album   Whitesnake - The Purple Album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 27, 2015 3:39 pm

There are pretty cool live versions of Soldier of Fortune, Burn, and Stormbringer on Whitesnake's Made in Britain album.
Back to top Go down
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

Number of posts : 2348

PostSubject: Re: Whitesnake - The Purple Album   Whitesnake - The Purple Album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 27, 2015 3:48 pm

I kinda wish I was more into both Whitesnake and Deep Purple. I like them both in passing, but I've never owned a DP record and the only WS I've ever owned is the obligatory s/t record (which I stand behind 100%, don't get me wrong there). This seems like a fun release for someone who's a big fan of both bands. Or at the very least, a big fan of one of the bands.

And since I'm posting...what does the "MK2, 3, 4/Mark 2, Mark 3 Mark 4" stuff mean? I've seen that mentioned elsewhere regarding DP.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Whitesnake - The Purple Album   Whitesnake - The Purple Album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 27, 2015 3:55 pm

ZombieHavoc wrote:

And since I'm posting...what does the "MK2, 3, 4/Mark 2, Mark 3 Mark 4" stuff mean? I've seen that mentioned elsewhere regarding DP.

Different line-ups. MK2 was the 2nd line-up, Mark 3, 3rd line-up, and so on and so on. Mark 4 was when Mark Linn Baker joined the band. It was a low-point of their career.

Whitesnake - The Purple Album - Page 2 Markconnections02

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

Number of posts : 2348

PostSubject: Re: Whitesnake - The Purple Album   Whitesnake - The Purple Album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 27, 2015 3:58 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
ZombieHavoc wrote:

Different line-ups. MK2 was the 2nd line-up, Mark 3, 3rd line-up, and so on and so on. Mark 4 was when Mark Linn Baker joined the band. It was a low-point of their career.

Thanks. Is the M# for differing line-ups specific to DP, or is it used for any band when they change line-ups?
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Whitesnake - The Purple Album   Whitesnake - The Purple Album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 27, 2015 4:05 pm

As Shawn said, makes sense for DC to keep this stuff alive ... but hasn't Glenn Hughes been doing a lot of this stuff live for the last 20 years or so?
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Whitesnake - The Purple Album   Whitesnake - The Purple Album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 27, 2015 4:23 pm

ZombieHavoc wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:
ZombieHavoc wrote:

Thanks. Is the M# for differing line-ups specific to DP, or is it used for any band when they change line-ups?

I've seen it used for other bands on occasion. Black Sabbath for example.

Quote :
but hasn't Glenn Hughes been doing a lot of this stuff live for the last 20 years or so?

On the live Black Country Communion album, they perform 'Burn'. Other than that, who knows? Besides, who's going to see Glenn Hughes these days except some weirdos in Thailand or Hong Kong? Whitesnake will get these songs better exposure now.

PostSubject: Re: Whitesnake - The Purple Album   Whitesnake - The Purple Album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 27, 2015 6:28 pm

MK-I = Rod Evans, Ritchie Blackmore, Jon Lord, Nick Simper, Ian Paice
    Albums: Shades Of Deep Purple, The Book of Taliesyn, Deep Purple

MK-II = Ian Gillan, Ritchie Blackmore, Jon Lord, Roger Glover, Ian Paice
    Albums: Concerto For Group & Orchestra, In Rock, Fireball, Machine Head, Made In Japan, Who Do We Think We Are, Perfect Strangers, The House Of Blue Light, Nobody's Perfect, The Battle Rages On

MK-III = David Coverdale, Ritchie Blackmore, Jon Lord, Glenn Hughes, Ian Paice
    Albums: Burn, Stormbringer, Made In Europe

MK-IV = David Coverdale, Tommy Bolin, Jon Lord, Glenn Hughes, Ian Paice
    Album: Come Taste The Band
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Whitesnake - The Purple Album   Whitesnake - The Purple Album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 27, 2015 10:39 pm

Listening to Come Taste The Band now, maybe not the sound that people want to hear from DP but a great record all the same.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: Whitesnake - The Purple Album   Whitesnake - The Purple Album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 28, 2015 7:31 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
ZombieHavoc wrote:

Whitesnake - The Purple Album - Page 2 Markconnections02

This is awesome!!! Laughing very hard
Back to top Go down
Runicen
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

Number of posts : 1598

PostSubject: Re: Whitesnake - The Purple Album   Whitesnake - The Purple Album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 02, 2015 8:27 am

Boris2008 wrote:
Listening to Come Taste The Band now, maybe not the sound that people want to hear from DP but a great record all the same.

I came to DP through David Coverdale and Come Taste the Band was the album I heard first. I thought it was awesome and the sheer challenge of tracking down a copy made it even sweeter when I finally got my grubby hands on it.
Back to top Go down
bass63
Metal master
Metal master
bass63

Number of posts : 882

PostSubject: Re: Whitesnake - The Purple Album   Whitesnake - The Purple Album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 02, 2015 12:46 pm

Runicen wrote:
Boris2008 wrote:

I came to DP through David Coverdale and Come Taste the Band was the album I heard first.  I thought it was awesome and the sheer challenge of tracking down a copy made it even sweeter when I finally got my grubby hands on it.

Such an awesome, underrated album
Back to top Go down
Metal Misfit
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

Number of posts : 3282

PostSubject: Re: Whitesnake - The Purple Album   Whitesnake - The Purple Album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 03, 2015 8:13 pm

I'll check it out but I'm disappointed it's not an original album. Was under the impression they'd been working on new material for the last few years and that was what was going to be released. Maybe a new studio album is coming later.
Back to top Go down
Glower
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Glower

Number of posts : 3219

PostSubject: Re: Whitesnake - The Purple Album   Whitesnake - The Purple Album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2015 12:42 pm

A while back - Y. Malmsteen did a CD w/ some Deep Purple songs -
I thought him and his band - just knocked it out !
However, 'Child Of Time' - I believe no one should cover that song.
Metal Church, in the 80's, really did super-hot - on Highway Star !
With today's recordings, drums always seem too predominant now....
Coverdale needs money.....that's my guess. Tarnishing vintage music.
Did Great White really need to do a Led Zep CD ?....no....
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7632

PostSubject: Re: Whitesnake - The Purple Album   Whitesnake - The Purple Album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 24, 2015 9:18 pm

Here's "Burn" from The Purple Album:

Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

PostSubject: Re: Whitesnake - The Purple Album   Whitesnake - The Purple Album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 24, 2015 9:45 pm

Witchfinder wrote:

I get why he might do a 'purple' tour, they can still pull off the songs (just about)  I just don't see the point of recording an albums worth of inferior versions of songs that are your legacy. To be clear, I'm a big DC and Whitesnake fan, but no!
Back to top Go down
BillRoxx
Metal master
Metal master
BillRoxx

Number of posts : 976

PostSubject: Re: Whitesnake - The Purple Album   Whitesnake - The Purple Album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 24, 2015 10:41 pm

I did it, just bought tickets to the Whitesnake show in Beverly Hills! This will be the first time I have ever seen them live! Looking forward to it!
Back to top Go down
http://www.roxxproductions.com
bass63
Metal master
Metal master
bass63

Number of posts : 882

PostSubject: Re: Whitesnake - The Purple Album   Whitesnake - The Purple Album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 25, 2015 1:12 am

Witchfinder wrote:

Love what I hear headbanger
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: Whitesnake - The Purple Album   Whitesnake - The Purple Album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 25, 2015 10:55 am

I can't listen to DC's voice anymore. Just unbearable.
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: Whitesnake - The Purple Album   Whitesnake - The Purple Album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 25, 2015 12:52 pm

I think he sounds pretty good for his age. Much better then Dokken and Roth.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: Whitesnake - The Purple Album   Whitesnake - The Purple Album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 25, 2015 2:11 pm

Really? Roth isn't trying anything hard but to me he sounds really good. About as good as ever to my ears. But I haven't heard him live.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Whitesnake - The Purple Album   Whitesnake - The Purple Album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 25, 2015 2:37 pm

I think DC sounds good, all things considered. He's over 60 and has toured a lot...he's bound to exhibit some wear and tear.

Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: Whitesnake - The Purple Album   Whitesnake - The Purple Album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 25, 2015 2:45 pm

There were some samples of Roth in the VH thread and his voice is shot.
Back to top Go down
Runicen
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

Number of posts : 1598

PostSubject: Re: Whitesnake - The Purple Album   Whitesnake - The Purple Album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 25, 2015 3:40 pm

I think any expectation that DC was going to channel is 20 year old self was well out of the realm of possibility. He's sounding pretty good these days. He's definitely aged into more of a blues singer than a rock guy though - not that there's a huge gulf there, mind you.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

PostSubject: Re: Whitesnake - The Purple Album   Whitesnake - The Purple Album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 25, 2015 5:53 pm

Runicen wrote:
I think any expectation that DC was going to channel is 20 year old self was well out of the realm of possibility. 

Completely agree but it's a comparison that he's totally invited by reworking songs that he sang when he had a better voice
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Whitesnake - The Purple Album   Whitesnake - The Purple Album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 26, 2015 9:50 am

I love the way DC sounds these days...he's aged/evolved into a gritty blues singer. The high notes are gone, but the character is still there, IMO.

PostSubject: Re: Whitesnake - The Purple Album   Whitesnake - The Purple Album - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Whitesnake - The Purple Album
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next