Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Whitesnake - The Purple Album

Go down 
+17
Glower
Metal Misfit
the sentinel
Temple of Blood
ZombieHavoc
James B.
Shawn Of Fire
glassprison
corplhicks
journeyman
Runicen
Boris2008
bass63
Dark Horseman
Witchfinder
MetalGuy71
21 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

Whitesnake - The Purple Album Empty
PostSubject: Whitesnake - The Purple Album   Whitesnake - The Purple Album Icon_minitimeWed Feb 25, 2015 12:36 pm

Rock icons WHITESNAKE are set to return with their 12th studio album this spring. "The Purple Album" will be released in Europe on May 15 and in North America on May 19 via Frontiers Music SRL. "The Purple Album" is a re-imagination of classic songs from David Coverdale's time as the lead singer for DEEP PURPLE's Mark 3 and Mark 4 studio albums. The album is currently available for pre-order in various configurations on Amazon: a standard edition, a deluxe edition featuring two bonus tracks, four music videos and a behind-the-scenes featurette on the recording of the album and in a double LP vinyl format. Plans are also underway for a special limited box set edition with memorabilia and merchandise. All details will be announced soon.

"It's a tribute," says Coverdale. "A homage. It's a huge thank you from me to DEEP PURPLE for the opportunity I was given over 40 years ago.

"As I said to Ritchie [Blackmore], you guys set me on an incredible journey that continues today and I couldn't have asked for better teachers. The University Of Deep Purple was an extraordinary, amazing school to learn from. We can't wait to play these songs in concert!"

From the opening notes of the classic track "Burn" to album closer "Stormbringer", WHITESNAKE are back and better than ever. Songs like "Lady Double Dealer", "Soldier Of Fortune" and "Sail Away" are given a new energy in the very capable hands of the current WHITESNAKE lineup, featuring David Coverdale on vocals, Reb Beach and Joel Hoekstra on guitars, Michael Devin on bass and Tommy Aldridge on drums.

"The Purple Album" track listing:

01. Burn
02. You Fool No One (interpolating Itchy Fingers)
03. Love Child
04. Sail Away
05. The Gypsy
06. Lady Double Dealer
07. Mistreated
08. Holy Man
09. Might Just Take Your Life
10. You Keep On Moving
11. Soldier Of Fortune
12. Lay Down Stay Down
13. Stormbringer

Deluxe edition bonus tracks:
14. Lady Luck
15. Comin' Home

DVD content:

* "Lady Double Dealer" - Music Video
* "Sail Away" - Mix Music Video
* "Stormbringer" - Music Video
* "Soldier Of Fortune" - Music Video
* "The Purple Album" Behind The Scenes
* "The Purple Album" EPK

Whitesnake - The Purple Album Whitesnakepurplealbum2015

Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7632

PostSubject: Re: Whitesnake - The Purple Album   Whitesnake - The Purple Album Icon_minitimeWed Feb 25, 2015 12:53 pm

I'll buy it.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: Whitesnake - The Purple Album   Whitesnake - The Purple Album Icon_minitimeWed Feb 25, 2015 12:54 pm

headbanger
Back to top Go down
bass63
Metal master
Metal master
bass63

Number of posts : 882

PostSubject: Re: Whitesnake - The Purple Album   Whitesnake - The Purple Album Icon_minitimeWed Feb 25, 2015 1:04 pm

I can't wait for this headbanger
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Whitesnake - The Purple Album   Whitesnake - The Purple Album Icon_minitimeWed Feb 25, 2015 1:11 pm

Yea, it's got me interested. And I haven't purchased a Whitesnake album since 1989's Slip of the Tongue on cassette.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40553

PostSubject: Re: Whitesnake - The Purple Album   Whitesnake - The Purple Album Icon_minitimeWed Feb 25, 2015 1:42 pm

I'd give it listen to. Doubt I would buy it though, unless it blows me away
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Whitesnake - The Purple Album   Whitesnake - The Purple Album Icon_minitimeWed Feb 25, 2015 2:05 pm

I have the original versions with Ritchie Blackmore and Jon Lord, that's all I require.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Whitesnake - The Purple Album   Whitesnake - The Purple Album Icon_minitimeWed Feb 25, 2015 6:10 pm

greedy greedy greedy greedyCASH GRAB!!!!! greedy greedy greedy greedy

I'm with S.D on this, I don't see how he could possibly improve on what he was already so gloriously a part of.
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

PostSubject: Re: Whitesnake - The Purple Album   Whitesnake - The Purple Album Icon_minitimeWed Feb 25, 2015 8:46 pm

It can't but I love the 'snake.
Back to top Go down
Runicen
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

Number of posts : 1598

PostSubject: Re: Whitesnake - The Purple Album   Whitesnake - The Purple Album Icon_minitimeThu Feb 26, 2015 8:12 am

I don't know if you could really call this a cash grab.

Granted, I don't know what kind of business deals are in place, but chances are, Coverdale's paying no small amount of cash to license these songs for a Whitesnake album, so there's an investment on his side right up front.

Also, keep in mind, the Mark III and Mark IV (specifically Mark IV) eras of Deep Purple are kind of the red headed step children of the DP catalog. This isn't "Whitesnake brings you 'Smoke on the Water'" or something the average classic rock plebe is going to see at a Walmart and snap up on sight. This is the also-rans from a HUGE catalog that seem to be largely forgotten (when I encountered DP in my teens, I had no idea anyone other than Gillan sang for them and most fans seemed to dig that perception). Granted, the material kicks wicked ass, but I don't think name recognition is going to sell it.

Finally, Whitesnake seems to be on a pretty big creative high at the moment. I may be totally off-base, but the impression I've been getting is that they're having no problem selling concert tickets or albums, which is no small feat for a "legacy" band so heavily stapled to an era - particularly 80s hair metal.

So, is it so hard to assume that while Coverdale probably wouldn't mind some more cash in his pockets, it may actually be safe to call this a genuine tribute that he wanted to do before he was too old to do it?

Also, much as the video is absurd, I like their version of Stormbringer. It's different, Coverdale's voice has aged in a very bluesy way that provides a contrast to the more exuberantly youthful original, and it's also intersting to hear the song without Hughes (whom I like, but could sometimes grate on those "shared vocal" tracks).

So yeah, I'll probably be tracking this one down.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Whitesnake - The Purple Album   Whitesnake - The Purple Album Icon_minitimeThu Feb 26, 2015 9:57 am

As a casual fan of both the 'Purp and the 'Snake, I can honestly say that probably half of these tracks I'm unfamiliar with, so I don't have a problem with this release. It's certainly not a top priority for me, but if I found it cheap, I'll pick it up. Hearing the tracks without Hughes over-the-top theatrics is just icing on the cake. Razz

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Whitesnake - The Purple Album   Whitesnake - The Purple Album Icon_minitimeThu Feb 26, 2015 10:26 am

Coverdale sorta explains the inspiration for this latest album...

Quote :
WHITESNAKE mainman David Coverdale has revealed to Classic Rock magazine that he and his former DEEP PURPLE bandmate Ritchie Blackmore discussed the possibility of working together again after the death of the band's keyboardist, Jon Lord, in 2012.

"The tragic loss of Jon made me finally realize that life is too f*cking short to hold animosity, bitterness and resentments," the singer told the magazine. "So I decided to reach out to Ritchie to share the sense of grief and loss of Jon with him, and to express my gratitude to him for bringing me on board DEEP PURPLE. During the conversation, we did discuss the idea of getting back together in some way, which was Jon's wish."

According to Coverdale, nothing came of the idea because "after several discussions with Ritchie's manager, I felt I didn’t share their vision of the project. I sincerely wished them well and respectfully withdrew."

But, Coverdale added, "During this time, I pulled out the albums and started messing around with some of the songs — rearranging ideas, adding a new bit here and there.

"The bonus, for me, was I rediscovered my love for that time and the work all of us achieved together. Magical times."

Metal master
Metal master
journeyman

Number of posts : 883

PostSubject: Re: Whitesnake - The Purple Album   Whitesnake - The Purple Album Icon_minitimeThu Feb 26, 2015 10:38 am

Sounds like an interpretation of the DP material. No mention of who is playing keys. So far, I'm not too impressed. I would think this might work as a live set, but a studio effort.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7632

PostSubject: Re: Whitesnake - The Purple Album   Whitesnake - The Purple Album Icon_minitimeThu Feb 26, 2015 11:10 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Hearing the tracks without Hughes over-the-top theatrics is just icing on the cake. Razz

Totally agree.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

PostSubject: Re: Whitesnake - The Purple Album   Whitesnake - The Purple Album Icon_minitimeThu Feb 26, 2015 11:37 am

There is also that.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Whitesnake - The Purple Album   Whitesnake - The Purple Album Icon_minitimeThu Feb 26, 2015 11:39 am

I'd rather hear the tracks without Coverdale. Razz
Back to top Go down
bass63
Metal master
Metal master
bass63

Number of posts : 882

PostSubject: Re: Whitesnake - The Purple Album   Whitesnake - The Purple Album Icon_minitimeThu Feb 26, 2015 1:02 pm

S.D. wrote:
I'd rather hear the tracks without Coverdale.  Razz

What? No way, this album is gonna rock plain & simple. headbanger
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Whitesnake - The Purple Album   Whitesnake - The Purple Album Icon_minitimeThu Feb 26, 2015 1:04 pm

I'd rather hear the tracks with Ian LOL.
Back to top Go down
Runicen
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

PostSubject: Re: Whitesnake - The Purple Album   Whitesnake - The Purple Album Icon_minitimeThu Feb 26, 2015 2:04 pm

S.D. wrote:
I'd rather hear the tracks without Coverdale.  Razz

HERESY! angry
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Whitesnake - The Purple Album   Whitesnake - The Purple Album Icon_minitimeThu Feb 26, 2015 5:12 pm

corplhicks wrote:
I'd rather hear the tracks with Ian LOL.

Eewww!!  Whitesnake - The Purple Album 352445
Back to top Go down
glassprison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
glassprison

Number of posts : 2960

PostSubject: Re: Whitesnake - The Purple Album   Whitesnake - The Purple Album Icon_minitimeFri Feb 27, 2015 10:58 am

I can't wait to hear Reb Beach on these tracks! The production on the single sounds a little weird. The vocals are buried during the first verse.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Whitesnake - The Purple Album   Whitesnake - The Purple Album Icon_minitimeFri Feb 27, 2015 11:13 am

The new take on "Stormbringer" kicks ass.

The MK III and MK IV eras get sorely overlooked, and NOBODY is playing the stuff live anymore. Who better than DC and crew to keep it alive?

Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: Whitesnake - The Purple Album   Whitesnake - The Purple Album Icon_minitimeFri Feb 27, 2015 12:12 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:

The MK III and MK IV eras get sorely overlooked, and NOBODY is playing the stuff live anymore. Who better than DC and crew to keep it alive?

I concur

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

PostSubject: Re: Whitesnake - The Purple Album   Whitesnake - The Purple Album Icon_minitimeFri Feb 27, 2015 12:57 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:

I'll definitely throw my vote in on this. cool

And yeah, the mix on Stormbringer is a little weird, but it's easy to forget how badly Youtube craps all over sound quality. I'm going to give the benefit of the doubt and assume that's what's going on here.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Whitesnake - The Purple Album   Whitesnake - The Purple Album Icon_minitimeFri Feb 27, 2015 1:13 pm

The cover of Stormbringer is pretty cool (the overdone effects detract from it a little). If they came through town doing a special show where they performed all this material live I'd probably go.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Whitesnake - The Purple Album   Whitesnake - The Purple Album Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Whitesnake - The Purple Album
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next