Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Anybody here into Atomic opera?

Go down 
+8
bgsully
MetalGuy71
chewie
DallasBlack
Eyesore
Troublezone
MetallicSeminarian
DevZor
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
DevZor
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
DevZor

Number of posts : 336

Anybody here into Atomic opera? Empty
PostSubject: Anybody here into Atomic opera?   Anybody here into Atomic opera? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 17, 2015 5:35 pm

I first heard atomic opera a couple years ago, well after the band was done. I've always loved there sound. The other day I found out they rereleased "for madmen only" which was long out of print. The two lead tracks are a great one-two punch to start the album and heavy as a sledge hammer.
Back to top Go down
MetallicSeminarian
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

Number of posts : 1698

PostSubject: Re: Anybody here into Atomic opera?   Anybody here into Atomic opera? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 17, 2015 5:41 pm

I only have Gospel Cola. It doesn't do much for me musically, but the lyrics are awesome.
Back to top Go down
DevZor
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
DevZor

PostSubject: Re: Anybody here into Atomic opera?   Anybody here into Atomic opera? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 17, 2015 6:12 pm

Try "for madmen only" and "alpha and oranges" I like them quite a bit more than gospel cola.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Anybody here into Atomic opera?   Anybody here into Atomic opera? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 17, 2015 6:52 pm

I had For Madmen Only when it first came out. They were trying the King's X thing, just not nearly as well. I flipped a coin and decided to listen to Galactic Cowboys instead.
Back to top Go down
DevZor
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
DevZor

PostSubject: Re: Anybody here into Atomic opera?   Anybody here into Atomic opera? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 17, 2015 8:18 pm

I've only just started getting into Kings X in the last week or two.  The similarities are there for sure. The more melancholy and feel and slightly more metallic edge of ao is enough difference to set them apart for me. The two suit entirely different listening moods.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Anybody here into Atomic opera?   Anybody here into Atomic opera? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 17, 2015 8:42 pm

DevZor wrote:
I've only just started getting into Kings X in the last week or two.  The similarities are there for sure. The more melancholy and feel and slightly more metallic edge of ao is enough difference to set them apart for me. The two suit entirely different listening moods.

The Galactic Cowboys and Atomic Opera came out pretty close together, both bands featuring the layered Beatle-esque harmonies and Drop-D guitar riffs ala King's X, though both bands were a little more metallic. I ended up deciding that I preferred Galactic Cowboys for a number of reasons.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

PostSubject: Re: Anybody here into Atomic opera?   Anybody here into Atomic opera? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 17, 2015 9:06 pm

I pretty much only like the first few albums from K's X and GC. I'm not really a fan of AO, except for a few songs on the Madmen album.

Last edited by Troublezone on Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:37 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Anybody here into Atomic opera?   Anybody here into Atomic opera? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 17, 2015 11:23 pm

I think any fan of King's X would do well to try both Galactic Cowboys and Atomic Opera. Both great bands.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Anybody here into Atomic opera?   Anybody here into Atomic opera? Icon_minitimeSun Jan 18, 2015 12:59 am

I'm a fan but only of the debut and Gospel Cola. Of course, apart from those two they didn't release much else.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: Anybody here into Atomic opera?   Anybody here into Atomic opera? Icon_minitimeSun Jan 18, 2015 1:02 am

I dig For Madmen Only! I believe all three bands were being produced by Sam Taylor, hence the KX sound.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Anybody here into Atomic opera?   Anybody here into Atomic opera? Icon_minitimeSun Jan 18, 2015 1:13 am

One caveat to that is King's X already had their sound prior to Sam Taylor getting involved. I also heard firsthand that Sam Taylor did absolutely NOTHING on Out Of The Silent Planet or Gretchen Goes To Nebraska. He only showed up in the studio about once a week, nodded his head and left. Ty actually produced those albums, Sam Taylor just collected a paycheck.

Back to top Go down
DevZor
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
DevZor

PostSubject: Re: Anybody here into Atomic opera?   Anybody here into Atomic opera? Icon_minitimeSun Jan 18, 2015 1:28 am

Ugh, that sucks big time.
Back to top Go down
DevZor
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
DevZor

PostSubject: Re: Anybody here into Atomic opera?   Anybody here into Atomic opera? Icon_minitimeSun Jan 18, 2015 1:39 am

This is pretty cool.  A one off live performance to celebrate the re-release of fmo recorded.  For a bunch of guys who haven't played together 20 years being recorded on a video camera, this isn't half bad.  Interesting they didn't play anything off of Gospel Cola.

Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Anybody here into Atomic opera?   Anybody here into Atomic opera? Icon_minitimeSun Jan 18, 2015 10:01 am

I have For Madmen Only as well and it's ok. I liked Ult's review and dug the similarities to King's X and Galactic Cowboys. It's decent enough, but nothing that made me want to track down their other material.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
bgsully

Number of posts : 1692

PostSubject: Re: Anybody here into Atomic opera?   Anybody here into Atomic opera? Icon_minitimeSun Jan 18, 2015 10:21 am

I didn't care for the little I heard from them (Gospel Cola). I love Galactic Cowboys though.
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: Anybody here into Atomic opera?   Anybody here into Atomic opera? Icon_minitimeSun Jan 18, 2015 8:41 pm

Only have FMO and enjoy it. Like already said, sort of akin to GC and King's X.
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 25871

PostSubject: Re: Anybody here into Atomic opera?   Anybody here into Atomic opera? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 19, 2015 10:28 am

Eyesore wrote:
I think any fan of King's X would do well to try both Galactic Cowboys and Atomic Opera. Both great bands.

I have to agree.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Anybody here into Atomic opera?   Anybody here into Atomic opera? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 19, 2015 3:46 pm

S.D. wrote:
One caveat to that is King's X already had their sound prior to Sam Taylor getting involved.  I also heard firsthand that Sam Taylor did absolutely NOTHING on Out Of The Silent Planet or Gretchen Goes To Nebraska.  He only showed up in the studio about once a week, nodded his head and left.  Ty actually produced those albums, Sam Taylor just collected a paycheck.  

Yeah, Sam was their "manager" in those days, and I guess finagled his way into a "producer" credit.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Anybody here into Atomic opera?   Anybody here into Atomic opera? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 19, 2015 3:47 pm

IMO, King's X, Galactic Cowboys, and Atomic Opera all sound distinctly different from each other.

Metal graduate
Metal graduate
DevZor

PostSubject: Re: Anybody here into Atomic opera?   Anybody here into Atomic opera? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 19, 2015 5:00 pm

Yep similar things they all incorporate, but three different sounds.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Anybody here into Atomic opera?   Anybody here into Atomic opera? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 19, 2015 6:24 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
IMO, King's X, Galactic Cowboys, and Atomic Opera all sound distinctly different from each other.

Yes, they each have their own sound but there is a LOT of similar influences at work so it's not out of bounds to compare/contrast. Plus they all knew each other and collaborated.

Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

PostSubject: Re: Anybody here into Atomic opera?   Anybody here into Atomic opera? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 19, 2015 7:28 pm

S.D. wrote:
One caveat to that is King's X already had their sound prior to Sam Taylor getting involved.  I also heard firsthand that Sam Taylor did absolutely NOTHING on Out Of The Silent Planet or Gretchen Goes To Nebraska.  He only showed up in the studio about once a week, nodded his head and left.  Ty actually produced those albums, Sam Taylor just collected a paycheck.  

Sam had a big falling out with both K's X and GC. I remember sending him a email in the late 90s asking about it and he got pissed.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Anybody here into Atomic opera?   Anybody here into Atomic opera? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 20, 2015 10:45 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
I have For Madmen Only as well and it's ok. I liked Ult's review and dug the similarities to King's X and Galactic Cowboys. It's decent enough, but nothing that made me want to track down their other material.

I brought For Madmen Only into work this week to give it a fresh spin and see if anything stands out.

For the record, if we're comparing them to King's X and Galactic Cowboys, I'm a GC fan.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
bgsully

Number of posts : 1692

PostSubject: Re: Anybody here into Atomic opera?   Anybody here into Atomic opera? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 21, 2015 8:51 pm

Well this thread caused me to revisit these guys on youtube.....and it looks as if I'll have to retract my post Embarassed . I'm actually diggin' what I'm hearing. I really don't remember them being any good.....maybe I'm just getting old. lol!
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Anybody here into Atomic opera?   Anybody here into Atomic opera? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 22, 2015 2:14 am

They're a good band,similar to GC and Kings X as others have mentioned.I still dig the Cowboys much more though.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Anybody here into Atomic opera?   Anybody here into Atomic opera? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Anybody here into Atomic opera?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: Music Forums :: Heart Of Metal-
Jump to: