Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Meadowlands Arena in New Jersey to close

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

Meadowlands Arena in New Jersey to close Empty
PostSubject: Meadowlands Arena in New Jersey to close   Meadowlands Arena in New Jersey to close Icon_minitimeThu Jan 15, 2015 11:49 am

Current and former New Jersey area peeps, get a load of this:

It looks likely that after 34 years, Jersey's arena/concert venue known originally as the Brendan Byrne Arena, then Continental Airlines Arena and most recently as the Izod Center, will be closing at the end of this month.

Meadowlands Arena in New Jersey to close Izod-center-closing
http://www.northjersey.com/news/izod-center-expected-to-close-schedule-of-events-after-march-31-being-cleared-1.1192590

I attended many concerts and hockey games at this arena over the years starting with my first ever concert (Judas Priest/Dokken, 1986) and always thought it was a great place to see a show.

I guess this was inevitable, though, as their sports tenants have all moved to newer, flashier digs in the past few years, like the Devils' Prudential Center in Newark and the Nets' new home in Brooklyn at the Barclay Center.

I haven't been to a show at the Meadowlands in a few years now (I think the last time was Iron Maiden's A Matter of Life and Death tour in '06) but this news is still a bummer, cuz there are a lot of memories wrapped up in that place... and besides, its location was convenient for me, I sure as hell am not haulin' all the way to Newark or Brooklyn from the North Jersey 'burbs just to see a concert from now on. It's the end of an era!

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Meadowlands Arena in New Jersey to close   Meadowlands Arena in New Jersey to close Icon_minitimeThu Jan 15, 2015 12:49 pm

I fell your pain, buddy. I poured out some of my 40 in tribute when the wrecking ball took down The Spectrum a few years ago. Lotsa memories in those old buildings. Theses new arenas just aren't the same. No personality. It's all about luxury suites and $12 beers.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Meadowlands Arena in New Jersey to close   Meadowlands Arena in New Jersey to close Icon_minitimeThu Jan 15, 2015 12:53 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Theses new arenas just aren't the same. No personality. It's all about luxury suites and $12 beers.

I think more than anything else, I'm pissed cuz the Meadowlands was the closest semi-decent concert venue for me.

I went to the new Prudential Center in Newark once, back in early '09, to see Metallica's Death Magnetic tour. It's a beautiful arena and I had a great time, but if I hadn't gotten a free ticket thanks to my reporter buddy (who was on the guest list and put me down as his "plus one") I never would've made the trip all that way.

I'm about as "north" as you can get in North Jersey without falling into a lake that straddles the border with Upstate New York. As it was, taking a trip to the Meadowlands for a concert required a drive of at least an hour, if traffic didn't suck. Going to Newark would add at least another 45 minutes to an hour to that... Fugeddaboudit. Too much of a pain in the ass.

(shrugs) Meh, it's all politics anyway. Even while the Newark arena was being built, there were calls to knock down the Meadowlands as soon as Newark's new toy was finished, so there wouldn't be as much "competition" for acts/events. So I guess it's surprising that the Meadowlands stayed open as long as it has.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat

Last edited by Fat Freddy on Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:05 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Meadowlands Arena in New Jersey to close   Meadowlands Arena in New Jersey to close Icon_minitimeThu Jan 15, 2015 1:02 pm

I was pissed when they demolished the Gibson Ampitheater at Universal Studios and replaced it with a Harry Potter ride! Only got to see one concert there but it was such a great building for acoustics (it was created solely for music, so was far superior to most arenas in sound quality) that I consider it a real loss. But the good news is there are plenty of other venues in the area that can fill in the void.
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: Meadowlands Arena in New Jersey to close   Meadowlands Arena in New Jersey to close Icon_minitimeThu Jan 15, 2015 3:08 pm

Everything I liked as a young man is gone. Hate it.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: Meadowlands Arena in New Jersey to close   Meadowlands Arena in New Jersey to close Icon_minitimeThu Jan 15, 2015 10:20 pm

wow. Never thought it would ever close.

Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Meadowlands Arena in New Jersey to close   Meadowlands Arena in New Jersey to close Icon_minitimeFri Jan 16, 2015 12:06 pm

It's official - the Izod/Meadowlands/Continental/Byrne Arena (whatever you want to call it) will close... for now. Apparently the plan is to "mothball" the arena and not hold any events there for at least the next two years, cuz that's when a current mega-mall construction project going on nearby is supposed to finally be complete. It'll be interesting to see if it re-opens after that. I won't be holding my breath.

Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Meadowlands Arena in New Jersey to close   Meadowlands Arena in New Jersey to close Icon_minitimeFri Jan 16, 2015 1:47 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
It's official - the Izod/Meadowlands/Continental/Byrne Arena (whatever you want to call it) will close... for now. Apparently the plan is to "mothball" the arena and not hold any events there for at least the next two years, cuz that's when a current mega-mall construction project going on nearby is supposed to finally be complete. It'll be interesting to see if it re-opens after that. I won't be holding my breath.

I'd be surprised if it got a second chance. The overall cost to maintain an arena will out-weigh the few events they can book.

PostSubject: Re: Meadowlands Arena in New Jersey to close   Meadowlands Arena in New Jersey to close Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Meadowlands Arena in New Jersey to close
Page 1 of 1