Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Painkiller's Top One Hundred Metal Albums of 1984

Go down 
+14
James B.
Witchfinder
nevermore
Glower
Boris2008
BearOnUnicycle
Thrasher73
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
Temple of Blood
Thelemech
Gilbert
80s Metal Lady
Fat Freddy
MoonChild
18 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

Painkiller's Top One Hundred Metal Albums of 1984 Empty
PostSubject: Painkiller's Top One Hundred Metal Albums of 1984   Painkiller's Top One Hundred Metal Albums of 1984 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 26, 2014 8:35 pm

It was a difficult accomplishment to make, but I've done it! Check out my one hundred personal favorite albums of 1984, ranked by order of preference. It seemed like a great year for metal in Germany, Sweden, and France!

Enjoy!

http://forcesofsteel.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=1476

Last edited by Painkiller on Fri Dec 26, 2014 8:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
MoonChild
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 15680

PostSubject: Re: Painkiller's Top One Hundred Metal Albums of 1984   Painkiller's Top One Hundred Metal Albums of 1984 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 26, 2014 8:52 pm

Difficult accomplishment!! headbanger Painkiller's Top One Hundred Metal Albums of 1984 395375
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37625

PostSubject: Re: Painkiller's Top One Hundred Metal Albums of 1984   Painkiller's Top One Hundred Metal Albums of 1984 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 26, 2014 9:03 pm

1984 was a great year indeed...

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
80s Metal Lady
Metal master
Metal master
80s Metal Lady

Number of posts : 896

PostSubject: Re: Painkiller's Top One Hundred Metal Albums of 1984   Painkiller's Top One Hundred Metal Albums of 1984 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 26, 2014 9:18 pm

Wow! 1984 was an awesome year for music, and there are so many albums on your list I have not heard. Some of my favorites are way down on your list. I've got a lot of listening to do (I bookmarked the list). I'm going to start with Witchkiller. I tend to like bands with "Witch" in the name and their EP is on Spotify.
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9874

PostSubject: Re: Painkiller's Top One Hundred Metal Albums of 1984   Painkiller's Top One Hundred Metal Albums of 1984 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 26, 2014 11:50 pm

great list! bravo for your effort.

so many bands I am unfamiliar with and will have to check out headbanger
Back to top Go down
Thelemech
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Thelemech

Number of posts : 4009

PostSubject: Re: Painkiller's Top One Hundred Metal Albums of 1984   Painkiller's Top One Hundred Metal Albums of 1984 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 27, 2014 12:09 am

Very nice list and I agree with a lot of your choices especially the top 20.

Cheers!!!
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5702

PostSubject: Re: Painkiller's Top One Hundred Metal Albums of 1984   Painkiller's Top One Hundred Metal Albums of 1984 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 27, 2014 1:10 am

How did CH beat the others? In what way?
Back to top Go down
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

Number of posts : 2998

PostSubject: Re: Painkiller's Top One Hundred Metal Albums of 1984   Painkiller's Top One Hundred Metal Albums of 1984 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 27, 2014 1:18 am

How are you not taking tons of shit for this list, PK? Personally, I only skimmed and dug what I saw - but the peeps here are treating you like the anti-Rolling Stone.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Painkiller's Top One Hundred Metal Albums of 1984   Painkiller's Top One Hundred Metal Albums of 1984 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 27, 2014 1:29 am

Temple of Blood wrote:
How did CH beat the others?  In what way?
I believe by hiring a female vocalist.
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS wrote:
How are you not taking tons of shit for this list, PK?  Personally, I only skimmed and dug what I saw - but the peeps here are treating you like the anti-Rolling Stone.
I think it's cool that some people are receptive of this list. I know that some choices wouldn't go too well with others, but this is purely by my own opinion. It's not perfect, but these kinds of lists are difficult to come by.
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Painkiller's Top One Hundred Metal Albums of 1984   Painkiller's Top One Hundred Metal Albums of 1984 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 27, 2014 2:01 am

Quite a feat PK. It would be hard for me to rank a hundred albums.Nice job.Good to see Saint on that list.
Back to top Go down
BearOnUnicycle
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
BearOnUnicycle

Number of posts : 1064

PostSubject: Re: Painkiller's Top One Hundred Metal Albums of 1984   Painkiller's Top One Hundred Metal Albums of 1984 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 27, 2014 3:04 am

Cool list, found a couple of new intersting bands, namely Demon Eyes and Stygian Shore. Top place is completly unexpected though.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Painkiller's Top One Hundred Metal Albums of 1984   Painkiller's Top One Hundred Metal Albums of 1984 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 27, 2014 3:35 am

It's a brave call to leave of

Dark Angel - We Have Arrived
Metal Church - Metal Church
Voivod - War & Pain
Trouble - Psalm 9
Battleaxe - Power From the Universe

Yup brave, brave and wrong! lol!

As is

Manowar - Sign of the Hammer

Yup brave, and completely correct! Very Happy

I do agree with a lot of what you have said about the major releases from this year but still would have quite a few of them much higher on my list (not Scorpions though, that would be much lower!)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Painkiller's Top One Hundred Metal Albums of 1984   Painkiller's Top One Hundred Metal Albums of 1984 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 27, 2014 3:44 am

Boris2008 wrote:
It's a brave call to leave of

Dark Angel - We Have Arrived
Metal Church - Metal Church
Voivod - War & Pain
Trouble - Psalm 9
Battleaxe - Power From the Universe

Yup brave, brave and wrong! lol!

As is

Manowar - Sign of the Hammer

Yup brave, and completely correct!  Very Happy

I do agree with a lot of what you have said about the major releases from this year but still would have quite a few of them much higher on my list (not Scorpions though, that would be much lower!)
Well, at least you'd agree with where I put Powerslave, eh? Laughing

Dark Angel's We Have Arrived came out in 1985. Metal Church, Voivod, and Trouble are honorable mentions. I totally forgot Battleaxe! Also, even Chateaux! Sad

I'm not into any Manowar, truthfully!

Thanks to you and everyone else for checking it out. It took me a few days to put this together. Lots of heavy adjustments.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Painkiller's Top One Hundred Metal Albums of 1984   Painkiller's Top One Hundred Metal Albums of 1984 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 27, 2014 3:57 am

Painkiller wrote:

Well, at least you'd agree with where I put Powerslave, eh? Laughing

I actually think it's their most over rated record ever. It isn't bad at all but nowhere near the first four records (in my humble opinion) It would still be a lot higher on my list.  

Quote :
Dark Angel's We Have Arrived came out in 1985.

Yeah, my bad, for some reason I was sure that it was '84 Embarassed
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Painkiller's Top One Hundred Metal Albums of 1984   Painkiller's Top One Hundred Metal Albums of 1984 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 27, 2014 4:02 am

Boris2008 wrote:
I actually think it's their most over rated record ever. It isn't bad at all but nowhere near the first four records (in my humble opinion) It would still be a lot higher on my list.  
Overrated doesn't mean bad, but I agree with you that it's not as great as many would have you believe. Razz
Back to top Go down
Glower
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Glower

Number of posts : 3163

PostSubject: Re: Painkiller's Top One Hundred Metal Albums of 1984   Painkiller's Top One Hundred Metal Albums of 1984 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 27, 2014 8:28 am

I'm still browsing your post of top favorite 50 Female fronted bands Painkiller's Top One Hundred Metal Albums of 1984 792498
I wish you had added just a touch more description about all the gals -
besides that - you sure do let this brand of music do the talkin ' - loud talkin'
Another post I'll ponder over for months !

Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 25796

PostSubject: Re: Painkiller's Top One Hundred Metal Albums of 1984   Painkiller's Top One Hundred Metal Albums of 1984 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 27, 2014 10:01 am

Wow!!! That's quite the list! There are several bands on there I haven't heard at all. I'm going to have to remedy that.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: Painkiller's Top One Hundred Metal Albums of 1984   Painkiller's Top One Hundred Metal Albums of 1984 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 27, 2014 10:50 am

Painkiller wrote:
It's not perfect, but these kinds of lists are difficult to come by.

Because they're not useful. You provided pretty much no insight into your thinking whatsoever, even when directly asked.

I'm up for insightful, descriptive reviews and love to read them.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Painkiller's Top One Hundred Metal Albums of 1984   Painkiller's Top One Hundred Metal Albums of 1984 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 27, 2014 11:00 am

Temple of Blood wrote:
Because they're not useful.  You provided pretty much no insight into your thinking whatsoever, even when directly asked.

I'm up for insightful, descriptive reviews and love to read them.
Perhaps you could enlighten me with a fully descriptive list of yours, then.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: Painkiller's Top One Hundred Metal Albums of 1984   Painkiller's Top One Hundred Metal Albums of 1984 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 27, 2014 2:33 pm

Don't have the free time. I'm just saying that's why you see a lot of reviews and not as many giant lists sans reviews.

You could put your list up at rateyourmusic.com and probably get more feedback BTW.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7608

PostSubject: Re: Painkiller's Top One Hundred Metal Albums of 1984   Painkiller's Top One Hundred Metal Albums of 1984 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 27, 2014 3:29 pm

Nice list. I estimate that I have about 70% of this list on either CD or Vinyl.

Painkiller, out of curiosity, how many of these do you own on physical media? I know your younger and I was just wondering if having a physical collection is important to you or if that's not one of your interests.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/

PostSubject: Re: Painkiller's Top One Hundred Metal Albums of 1984   Painkiller's Top One Hundred Metal Albums of 1984 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 27, 2014 3:59 pm

Witchfinder wrote:
Nice list.  I estimate that I have about 70% of this list on either CD or Vinyl.  

Painkiller, out of curiosity, how many of these do you own on physical media?  I know your younger and I was just wondering if having a physical collection is important to you or if that's not one of your interests.    
I buy whatever I can afford at the moment. I'm pretty serious about collecting, but wouldn't want to spend hundreds or thousands on just one EP or single. I'm fine with a Greek vinyl fanatic's bootleg copy over an expensive original.

Also, if I don't have it on vinyl or CD, then I probably already have it on cassette. A case in point is Cloven Hoof's self-titled album, which I could only easily score on this format. The vinyl and CD listings are not only expensive, but also seem to be quite scarce.

Thanks for checking it out.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

PostSubject: Re: Painkiller's Top One Hundred Metal Albums of 1984   Painkiller's Top One Hundred Metal Albums of 1984 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 27, 2014 4:11 pm

Painkiller wrote:
Witchfinder wrote:
Nice list.  I estimate that I have about 70% of this list on either CD or Vinyl.  

Painkiller, out of curiosity, how many of these do you own on physical media?  I know your younger and I was just wondering if having a physical collection is important to you or if that's not one of your interests.    
I buy whatever I can afford at the moment. I'm pretty serious about collecting, but wouldn't want to spend hundreds or thousands on just one EP or single. I'm fine with a Greek vinyl fanatic's bootleg copy over an expensive original.

Also, if I don't have it on vinyl or CD, then I probably already have it on cassette. A case in point is Cloven Hoof's self-titled album, which has only been more affordable on this format than the others.

Thanks for checking it out.

Cool.  A single recording is definitely not worth hundreds of dollars. I think the most I have ever spent was $50 on Heretic's Breaking Point.  I doubt I would pay more than that for anything, and that Heretic recording has been re-released two times since I paid $50 for it!  Also, virtually everything has been reissued/bootlegged at some point and a high quality bootleg is sufficient for me. Case in point being all of Heavy Load's catalog.

I have that Cloven Hoof on CD, but I got it back when it was reissued in 2002.  I had enough foresight back then to buy almost every one of those Neat Metal reissues on Castle/Sanctuary.  I am only missing 1 of those - the Warfare compilation.  I even have Overdrive Swords & Axes on vinyl and both cd versions.  One of my CD versions is autographed by the entire band to me.  Again, I was just lucky to acquire that in an email exchange with Janne Stark.  

But I digress.  Are you planning on making any other lists for other years/genres?
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12599

PostSubject: Re: Painkiller's Top One Hundred Metal Albums of 1984   Painkiller's Top One Hundred Metal Albums of 1984 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 27, 2014 6:07 pm

I have all but 10 on vinyl and cassette.

Medieval Steel
Brocas Helm-Into Battle
Syron Vanes-Bringer Of Evil
Strana Officina
Der Kaiser-Vatours
Attentant Rock-Le Gang des Saigneurs
Tyson Dog-Beware Of The Dog
Santa-Reencarnacion
Taist Of Iron-Resurrection
Gotham City-The Unknown

Appreciate the time spent on the list, Just hate the hassles of going to your site to see it. I get all sorts of Malware and other crap visiting there. Next time please post a list here, thanks. Guess getting visits and hits counts for something ?

Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

PostSubject: Re: Painkiller's Top One Hundred Metal Albums of 1984   Painkiller's Top One Hundred Metal Albums of 1984 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 27, 2014 7:12 pm

James B. wrote:
I have all but 10 on vinyl and cassette.  

Medieval Steel
Brocas Helm-Into Battle
Syron Vanes-Bringer Of Evil
Strana Officina
Der Kaiser-Vatours
Attentant Rock-Le Gang des Saigneurs
Tyson Dog-Beware Of The Dog
Santa-Reencarnacion
Taist Of Iron-Resurrection
Gotham City-The Unknown

Appreciate the time spent on the list,  Just hate the hassles of going to your site to see it.   I get all sorts of Malware and other crap visiting there.  Next time please post a list here, thanks.  Guess getting visits and hits counts for something ?

The Medival Steel and Gotham City are well worth tracking down.  They are also readily available.  Taist of Iron is now available because it was recently reissued by Skol Records.  Tyson Dog was reissued as well and should be easy to get.  I like Tyson Dog, but they aren't that great - a solid take on early 80s Priest.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Painkiller's Top One Hundred Metal Albums of 1984   Painkiller's Top One Hundred Metal Albums of 1984 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next