Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Post-Led Zeppelin Works

Go down 
+9
Runicen
Nomadic Drifter
Harmless Rebel
brokentulsa
chewie
corplhicks
Thelemech
MetalGuy71
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

Post-Led Zeppelin Works Empty
PostSubject: Post-Led Zeppelin Works   Post-Led Zeppelin Works Icon_minitimeTue Nov 18, 2014 11:58 am

I've been re-visiting my Led Zeppelin collection and noticed that I have little-to-nothing of any of the surviving members post-Zep works.

I enjoy the Page/Coverdale album and JPJ's bass work on the Them Crooked Vultures album, but other than that, I never really explored anything else. I'm familiar with the hits that Plant had in the 80's, but never heard a whole album. Page's output has been spotty, from what I understand and Jones has pretty much flown under the radar.

Anything from Page, Jones or Plant worth exploring?

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Thelemech

Number of posts : 4009

PostSubject: Re: Post-Led Zeppelin Works   Post-Led Zeppelin Works Icon_minitimeTue Nov 18, 2014 12:24 pm

Now and Zen and Manic Nirvana by Robert Plant are quite good and have a few almost classic songs.
Jimmy Page has a live album with the Black Crows that is pretty interesting.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Post-Led Zeppelin Works   Post-Led Zeppelin Works Icon_minitimeTue Nov 18, 2014 12:57 pm

Thelemech wrote:
Now and Zen and Manic Nirvana by Robert Plant are quite good and have a few almost classic songs.
Jimmy Page has a live album with the Black Crows that is pretty interesting.  

What he sayz to the power of 10. Those are my three favorites. The Crowes concert has got to be my favorite post-1980 live recording of them all. It's heavy, dense, and you can tell Page is having a great time.

Coverdale/Page was a fun spin but I always felt it was too long with a bit of rambling in the tracks.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Post-Led Zeppelin Works   Post-Led Zeppelin Works Icon_minitimeTue Nov 18, 2014 1:13 pm

Oh yea, I forgot I have that Page/Crowes album too. If memory serves, that was the very first album I purchased over the internet. When it was first released, you could only order it from a special website (EDIT: Musicmaker.com). It wasn't available in stores. I saw them live for that one too. I vaguely remember making out with my buddies girlfriend when he went to buy more beer.

Last edited by MetalGuy71 on Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Post-Led Zeppelin Works   Post-Led Zeppelin Works Icon_minitimeTue Nov 18, 2014 1:26 pm

I love John Paul Jones' album Zooma from 1999. It's an all instrumental album, lots of great bass on display. Also features Trey Gunn (King Crimson). It's quite a heavy record too (not metal, but HEAVY).

Post-Led Zeppelin Works 51aqjQsr-VL._SX425_

Amazon has used copies for under $3.
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: Post-Led Zeppelin Works   Post-Led Zeppelin Works Icon_minitimeTue Nov 18, 2014 1:30 pm

Definitely Plant's solo stuff, his first two(Pictures at Eleven, The Principle of Moments) are very good and my favorites. Page, I would go with Outrider, C/P, and Page/Black Crowes. Page and JPJ also have done some excellent soundtracks.

Other Plant solo albums:
The Honeydrippers: Volume One - If you like The Oldies, I recommend it. It's a fun one!

Shaken 'n' Stirred - The last with Robbie Blunt. Very 80s sounding, but Little By Little is a great song. A very strange album, but I like it. Still no LZ sound anywhere!

Now and Zen - The LZ influence creeps back in and he loses a little bit of his distinct sound. Songs I like: Heaven Knows, Ship Of Fools.

Manic Nirvana - I only like a couple of tunes from this one, I Cried, Liars Dance(great song!)

Fate of Nations - Actually saw him on this tour at The Shoreline. Calling to You, 29 Palms and If I Were a Carpenter. I remember liking this album more than the two before it.
Back to top Go down
brokentulsa
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
brokentulsa

Number of posts : 1779

PostSubject: Re: Post-Led Zeppelin Works   Post-Led Zeppelin Works Icon_minitimeTue Nov 18, 2014 2:07 pm

Also for page check out the movie "It Might Get Loud"...very cool
What did everyone think about the unledded thing that page and plant did?

Post-Led Zeppelin Works 51YlBz8nDhL._SL500_AA280_Post-Led Zeppelin Works 51eAa7EJorL._SL500_AA280_
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Post-Led Zeppelin Works   Post-Led Zeppelin Works Icon_minitimeTue Nov 18, 2014 2:09 pm

chewie wrote:
Very 80s sounding,
I'm afraid allot of Plant's stuff would suffer from 80's over-production.

S.D. wrote:
I love John Paul Jones' album Zooma from 1999.
Listening to it right now on YouTube. Pretty cool. Not sure if it would be a frequent spinner for me, but it's interesting enough to keep me listening.

PostSubject: Re: Post-Led Zeppelin Works   Post-Led Zeppelin Works Icon_minitimeTue Nov 18, 2014 2:10 pm

Unledded (No Quarter) was excellent, I love the re-arrangements they did of the classic Zep material. I've watched the concert DVD many times. Four Sticks from that concert smokes the original studio version.

and I agree, It Might Get Loud was a lot of fun.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Post-Led Zeppelin Works   Post-Led Zeppelin Works Icon_minitimeTue Nov 18, 2014 2:11 pm

brokentulsa wrote:
Also for page check out the movie "It Might Get Loud"...very cool

I've seen it. Very cool, but Jack White gets on my nerves. It's like he tries too hard to be weird. That annoys me.

Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Post-Led Zeppelin Works   Post-Led Zeppelin Works Icon_minitimeTue Nov 18, 2014 2:15 pm

Yes No Quarter blew me away, forgot about that one. Very earthy quality with great instrumentation. Four stars. Haven't heard of Walking into Clarksdale.
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: Post-Led Zeppelin Works   Post-Led Zeppelin Works Icon_minitimeTue Nov 18, 2014 2:23 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
chewie wrote:
Very 80s sounding,
I'm afraid allot of Plant's stuff would suffer from 80's over-production.

It seems to that Shaken n Stirred went overboard with it. The only thing it was missing was LZ samples, but that's Now And Zen. Now that I think about it, that actually might be even more overproduced than Shakin.... I don't listen to Now And Zen much at all so I don't remember.
Back to top Go down
Harmless Rebel
Metal novice
Metal novice

Number of posts : 2

PostSubject: Re: Post-Led Zeppelin Works   Post-Led Zeppelin Works Icon_minitimeTue Nov 18, 2014 2:34 pm

I would recommend checking out The Firm. Jimmy Page got together with Paul Rodgers to release two albums as The Firm, both of which are great.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Post-Led Zeppelin Works   Post-Led Zeppelin Works Icon_minitimeTue Nov 18, 2014 2:51 pm

Harmless Rebel wrote:
I would recommend checking out The Firm. Jimmy Page got together with Paul Rodgers to release two albums as The Firm, both of which are great.

What ho, I forgot this album ever even came out! I used to play this like mad. Good call. I may spin this today for memories.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Post-Led Zeppelin Works   Post-Led Zeppelin Works Icon_minitimeTue Nov 18, 2014 3:10 pm

Harmless Rebel wrote:

That's another one that sounds very dated to me now as I play it on YouTube. The video for 'Radioactive' just screams 1980's.

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Post-Led Zeppelin Works   Post-Led Zeppelin Works Icon_minitimeTue Nov 18, 2014 3:25 pm

Oddly enough, I probably have more Jason Bonham (Bonham, BCC, Jason Bonham Band, etc.) works in my collection than all of the other 3 members combined. Razz

Metal novice
Metal novice
Nomadic Drifter

Number of posts : 77

PostSubject: Re: Post-Led Zeppelin Works   Post-Led Zeppelin Works Icon_minitimeTue Nov 18, 2014 4:56 pm

No one has mentioned the Dreamland or Mighty Re-arranger albums from Robert Plant.  I like both of those, and almost as good is the obscure stuff collected on "66 to Timbuctu",

In fact, now that I think about it, the live version of "Win my trainfare Home" is absolutely epic.

Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39646

PostSubject: Re: Post-Led Zeppelin Works   Post-Led Zeppelin Works Icon_minitimeTue Nov 18, 2014 6:05 pm

I'm not overly familiar with any post Zep stuff. I had a few Plant solo albums,which were hit or missfor me so I ditched them. The Coverdale/Page collaboration was pretty good I think. I thought The Firm's first album was really cool back in the day but haven't heard it in probably 15 years.
Back to top Go down
Runicen
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

Number of posts : 1598

PostSubject: Re: Post-Led Zeppelin Works   Post-Led Zeppelin Works Icon_minitimeThu Nov 20, 2014 4:36 pm

I'd probably have to list the first two Plant solo albums along with Fate of Nations and Dreamland. I haven't heard any Page solo stuff save for the Coverdale collab. Ditto for being pretty ignorant of JPJ.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Post-Led Zeppelin Works   Post-Led Zeppelin Works Icon_minitimeFri Nov 21, 2014 10:07 am

I've been checking things out here and there on YouTube and most of Page & Plant's stuff sounds very dated to me. The only one that kept my interest was that instrumental JPJ album.

Bottom line, I don't see any post-Zep purchases in the foreseeable future.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

Number of posts : 1598

PostSubject: Re: Post-Led Zeppelin Works   Post-Led Zeppelin Works Icon_minitimeFri Nov 21, 2014 11:49 am

I did forget Walking into Clarksdale. I really enjoyed that album but sadly no longer have a copy.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Post-Led Zeppelin Works   Post-Led Zeppelin Works Icon_minitimeFri Nov 21, 2014 11:51 am

The Page/Plant album is essential, in my opinion.

John Paul Jones has been playing with Seasick Steve as of late, and everything he's done is well worth tracking down if you dig the blues. Pretty fantastic stuff.

Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Post-Led Zeppelin Works   Post-Led Zeppelin Works Icon_minitimeFri Nov 21, 2014 11:55 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Oddly enough, I probably have more Jason Bonham (Bonham, BCC, Jason Bonham Band, etc.) works in my collection than all of the other 3 members combined. Razz

He's been in so many underrated bands. Bonham, Jason Bonham Band, Motherland, etc. All quality. Dude can't catch a break. Haha.
Back to top Go down
deathisgain
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
deathisgain

Number of posts : 285

PostSubject: Re: Post-Led Zeppelin Works   Post-Led Zeppelin Works Icon_minitimeFri Nov 21, 2014 12:52 pm

I definitely like Plant's solo stuff right after Zeppelin. I used to dig "Outrider", but it took it for a spin and just couldn't get into it. As much as I love love LOVE Jones, I really can't get into his catalog after Zep. And what ever you do, stay awy from his work with Diamanda Galas! Whew, that is some weird stuff.

One of the best post-zeppelin albums was "Kingdom Come" Wink
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathisgain.com
glassprison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
glassprison

Number of posts : 2959

PostSubject: Re: Post-Led Zeppelin Works   Post-Led Zeppelin Works Icon_minitimeWed Nov 26, 2014 2:17 pm

I really like the Might Rearranger era of Plant's Strange Sensations:

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Post-Led Zeppelin Works   Post-Led Zeppelin Works Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Post-Led Zeppelin Works
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next