Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The Big Four of Hollywood/Sleaze/Glam

Go down 
+17
ultmetal
corplhicks
GrandNational
ZombieHavoc
Boris2008
stormspell
MoonChild
Thrasher73
Lari
tohostudios
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
Glower
brokentulsa
Witchfinder
James B.
MetalGuy71
Nomadic Drifter
21 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Nomadic Drifter
Metal novice
Metal novice
Nomadic Drifter

Number of posts : 77

The Big Four of Hollywood/Sleaze/Glam Empty
PostSubject: The Big Four of Hollywood/Sleaze/Glam   The Big Four of Hollywood/Sleaze/Glam Icon_minitimeWed Oct 29, 2014 10:47 am

So - the premise is that Guns and Roses bury the hatchet several years from now and are convinced to do a Big Four style Stadium Tour with three other bands that complement that era of rock/metal which evolved from the Hollywood - Sunset strip.

Q1 - Which other bands should arguably be considered for inclusion...?
Q2 - Who would be your choice as the Final 4  (maybe you wouldn't even want Guns & Roses..?)

I would imagine that something of this magnitude would pull Motley Crue out of their retirement.  And - also hypothetically allow time to heal the wounds of several other split up bands from that scene...  

Others to consider:  Ratt, Quiet Riot, WASP, Dokken, LA Guns, Faster P*ssycat, Great White, Love/Hate... any others that I have omitted...?

My final choice would be:

Guns & Roses
Motley Crue
WASP
LA Guns
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: The Big Four of Hollywood/Sleaze/Glam   The Big Four of Hollywood/Sleaze/Glam Icon_minitimeWed Oct 29, 2014 11:21 am

Interesting concept. I like the line-up you picked. I'd go see that.

Although not a favorite of mine, I feel that Poison should be given a slot in there somewhere. They really helped the whole glam scene really make a visual impact on the MTV generation and never really tried to hide or shy away from what they are.

Resurrect Jani Lane while we're at it and let Warrant open the show.

Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12604

PostSubject: Re: The Big Four of Hollywood/Sleaze/Glam   The Big Four of Hollywood/Sleaze/Glam Icon_minitimeWed Oct 29, 2014 11:22 am

Just limiting it to Hollywood takes out all the objectivity.

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: The Big Four of Hollywood/Sleaze/Glam   The Big Four of Hollywood/Sleaze/Glam Icon_minitimeWed Oct 29, 2014 11:30 am

James B. wrote:
Just limiting it to Hollywood takes out all the objectivity.  

Eh, there were enough hair-farmers in that town to pick from to make an interesting line-up. Besides, this whole thread will de-volve into a debate on who was or wasn't glam, sleaze, hair, etc. Have fun with it while it lasts. Razz

Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

PostSubject: Re: The Big Four of Hollywood/Sleaze/Glam   The Big Four of Hollywood/Sleaze/Glam Icon_minitimeWed Oct 29, 2014 11:42 am

The choices of the original post would probably be the money maker ?

Stryper has to be included (IMHO)

Metal novice
Metal novice
Nomadic Drifter

PostSubject: Re: The Big Four of Hollywood/Sleaze/Glam   The Big Four of Hollywood/Sleaze/Glam Icon_minitimeWed Oct 29, 2014 11:47 am

I thought I phrased it fairly openly by saying:

"....three other bands that complement that era of rock/metal which evolved from the Hollywood - Sunset strip..."

I'm not saying they had to have been there, just that they were influenced by the era.

Therefore, if further explanation is necessary...

Q1 - Which other bands should    ARGUABLY    be considered for inclusion...?

By answering this question you are adding or taking away from those already listed.  Already originally omitted - BUT - a worthy inclusion, would be Poison.  Some might then say Slaughter, Skid Row, White Lion.  Whether or not you agree is pointless because we then come to....

Q2 - Who would be your choice as the Final 4  (maybe you wouldn't even want Guns & Roses..?)

By answering this question you have considered others that have previously been listed as well as your own and then made a final decision.

Fair enough...?
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

PostSubject: Re: The Big Four of Hollywood/Sleaze/Glam   The Big Four of Hollywood/Sleaze/Glam Icon_minitimeWed Oct 29, 2014 12:02 pm

Nomadic Drifter wrote:
I thought I phrased it fairly openly by saying:

"....three other bands that complement that era of rock/metal which evolved from the Hollywood - Sunset strip..."

I'm not saying they had to have been there, just that they were influenced by the era.

Context is everything, I suppose ?

The thread title is "Big 4 of Hollywood sleaze/glam"
Then "three other bands that "evolved" from the Hollywood Sunset Strip.

You gave it a geographic connotation in the thread title and then strengthened that position with specific reference to coming from an actual location. Nothing regarding style or influence.

So one can wonder why I said what I said ?

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: The Big Four of Hollywood/Sleaze/Glam   The Big Four of Hollywood/Sleaze/Glam Icon_minitimeWed Oct 29, 2014 12:04 pm

Quit being so pedantic and list your bands already. Razz

Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

PostSubject: Re: The Big Four of Hollywood/Sleaze/Glam   The Big Four of Hollywood/Sleaze/Glam Icon_minitimeWed Oct 29, 2014 12:18 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Quit being so pedantic and list your bands already. Razz

I have to know what I'm answering first, right ?

Stryper
Hanoi Rocks
LA Guns
Shotgun Messiah

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: The Big Four of Hollywood/Sleaze/Glam   The Big Four of Hollywood/Sleaze/Glam Icon_minitimeWed Oct 29, 2014 12:24 pm

Ooh, good call on Hanoi Rocks. They were doing the glammed-up Sunset Strip thing before it became cool.

Metal novice
Metal novice
Nomadic Drifter

PostSubject: Re: The Big Four of Hollywood/Sleaze/Glam   The Big Four of Hollywood/Sleaze/Glam Icon_minitimeWed Oct 29, 2014 12:37 pm

Apologies then for misleading anyone with a title/subject line that is potentially confusing and/or somewhat out of context.  

The original title which included the descriptors of "Hollywood/Sleaze/Glam" was meant to be open to any kind of rock/metal that could be characterized by any of those three terms and not as an all of the above.  And, additionally, not as a rule to be exclusive to any band that spent any length of time in Hollywood or surrounding neighbourhoods.

Love the inclusion of Hanoi Rocks. Don't remember much about Shotgun Messiah.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7611

PostSubject: Re: The Big Four of Hollywood/Sleaze/Glam   The Big Four of Hollywood/Sleaze/Glam Icon_minitimeWed Oct 29, 2014 1:06 pm

My list of the Big 4 of Glam:

1. Ratt - One of the LA originals that had a great run of records and have sold 18 million albums worldwide. They appeared on the scene very early and were very popular. Hell, they were even on first pressing of Metal Masscre 1!
2. Motley Crue - Another founding father of glam metal. Their first two albums are very good and they have a host of strong cuts throughout their career. Also, their partying, badass image helped define the genre. Massive worldwide sales.
3. Guns N' Roses - The sleaze kings that re-energized the genre in the late 80s and became the biggest band in the world for a few years.
4. Poison - The safe party band that had huge sales and pulled in giant crowds. They were the biggest of the second wave bands after Gn'R.

I am not saying these are my favorites, but I think they were the most influential.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
brokentulsa
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
brokentulsa

Number of posts : 1779

PostSubject: Re: The Big Four of Hollywood/Sleaze/Glam   The Big Four of Hollywood/Sleaze/Glam Icon_minitimeWed Oct 29, 2014 4:51 pm

Ratt
L.A. Guns
Y&T
W.A.S.P.

If Kevin Dubrow was still with us I would have had to say Quiet Riot...They were the first LA glam band to have a #1 album on the charts ..some even argue the first metal band to go #1.
Back to top Go down
Glower
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Glower

Number of posts : 3167

PostSubject: Re: The Big Four of Hollywood/Sleaze/Glam   The Big Four of Hollywood/Sleaze/Glam Icon_minitimeWed Oct 29, 2014 6:26 pm

Faster p*ssy Cat ? London ?
Back to top Go down
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

Number of posts : 2998

PostSubject: Re: The Big Four of Hollywood/Sleaze/Glam   The Big Four of Hollywood/Sleaze/Glam Icon_minitimeWed Oct 29, 2014 6:28 pm

Lizzy Borden comes out and give W.A.R. the axe.....
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: The Big Four of Hollywood/Sleaze/Glam   The Big Four of Hollywood/Sleaze/Glam Icon_minitimeWed Oct 29, 2014 6:47 pm

Since this is my genre of choice I must chime in.

If GnR are headlining, my next band to see on the bill would be The Last Vegas. Despite their last album sucking big time, I still think they'd be a natural fit on this theoretical tour.

I'd also put Hardcore Superstar on the bill even though the stuff they've been putting out lately isn't as strong as their early stuff IMO, they still have all the swagger of a Sunset Strip band and would fit nicely on a bill with GnR and The Last Vegas.

I might also put Charm City Devils on the bill. While their last several albums are more "modern rock" influenced than sleaze, I still think they'd make a nice change of pace from more of the same.

And I'd open with Distorted Wonderland. I don't even know if this band is together anymore but they were formed from some backup musicians for a Hardcore Superstar recording session and their one and only album is way better than most of the stuff HS has put out lately.

So my lineup would be:

Distorted Wonderland
Charm City Devils
Hardcore Superstar
The Last Vegas
GnR

Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6330

PostSubject: Re: The Big Four of Hollywood/Sleaze/Glam   The Big Four of Hollywood/Sleaze/Glam Icon_minitimeWed Oct 29, 2014 7:11 pm

If it was my money, I'd spend it on seeing Cinderella, Dokken, Skid Row and Stryper. But that's hardly a BIG four of anything.

If big names, high visibility and making money was the primary objective, I'd pick Bon Jovi, GnR, Poison and Crue.
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: The Big Four of Hollywood/Sleaze/Glam   The Big Four of Hollywood/Sleaze/Glam Icon_minitimeThu Oct 30, 2014 3:26 am

Just going by popularity from back then you would have Motley Crue,Poison,GNR and maybe Skid Row.
If I was picking my favorite 4 it would look like this;
Cinderella
Stryper
Dangerous Toys
Tora Tora
Back to top Go down
MoonChild
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 15680

PostSubject: Re: The Big Four of Hollywood/Sleaze/Glam   The Big Four of Hollywood/Sleaze/Glam Icon_minitimeThu Oct 30, 2014 3:53 am

I would probably stay away!!!

Well, how about

Ratt
Poison
Gn'R
WASP
Back to top Go down
stormspell
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stormspell

Number of posts : 1593

PostSubject: Re: The Big Four of Hollywood/Sleaze/Glam   The Big Four of Hollywood/Sleaze/Glam Icon_minitimeThu Oct 30, 2014 6:52 am

WASP
Bon Jovi
G'n'R
Dokken
Back to top Go down
http://www.cdbaby.com/all/stormspell
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

PostSubject: Re: The Big Four of Hollywood/Sleaze/Glam   The Big Four of Hollywood/Sleaze/Glam Icon_minitimeThu Oct 30, 2014 10:46 am

My choices were based on favorites and not along the premise of the most popular or best chance for big tour bucks.

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: The Big Four of Hollywood/Sleaze/Glam   The Big Four of Hollywood/Sleaze/Glam Icon_minitimeThu Oct 30, 2014 10:48 am

tohostudios wrote:

So my lineup would be:

Distorted Wonderland
Charm City Devils
Hardcore Superstar
The Last Vegas
GnR

Interesting line-up. That Distorted Wonderland doesn't sound too bad. Sounds more "metal" than I thought they'd be.

Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6330

PostSubject: Re: The Big Four of Hollywood/Sleaze/Glam   The Big Four of Hollywood/Sleaze/Glam Icon_minitimeThu Oct 30, 2014 10:51 am

Yeah, if it actually was my choice of Dokken, Skid Row, Cinderella and Stryper, they'd probably sell like 50 tickets per show. So that'd be a pretty bad combination.

But you put Bon Jovi, Crue, GnR etc together and they'd sell out stadiums. Personally, I'd skip the tour though.
Back to top Go down
brokentulsa
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
brokentulsa

Number of posts : 1779

PostSubject: Re: The Big Four of Hollywood/Sleaze/Glam   The Big Four of Hollywood/Sleaze/Glam Icon_minitimeThu Oct 30, 2014 12:03 pm

Quote :
tohostudios wrote:

So my lineup would be:

Distorted Wonderland
   Charm City Devils
   Hardcore Superstar
   The Last Vegas
   GnR

If we are going modern sleaze/glam my lineup would be...

GnR
Crashdiet
Gemini Five
Reckless Love
Dynazty
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: The Big Four of Hollywood/Sleaze/Glam   The Big Four of Hollywood/Sleaze/Glam Icon_minitimeThu Oct 30, 2014 1:51 pm

I wondered if I could come up with anything other than sarcasm for this thread.

I can (If I stretch things a bit and go just for the sleaze angle and not the Hollywood part)

Guns & Roses
Hanoi Rocks
New York Dolls
Madam X
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Big Four of Hollywood/Sleaze/Glam   The Big Four of Hollywood/Sleaze/Glam Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Big Four of Hollywood/Sleaze/Glam
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next