Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Favorite Live Bootlegs?

Go down 
+11
corplhicks
Temple of Blood
Thelemech
ultmetal
thejokeriv
mikeinfla
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
Boris2008
Nomadic Drifter
Fat Freddy
Witchfinder
15 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7613

Favorite Live Bootlegs? Empty
PostSubject: Favorite Live Bootlegs?   Favorite Live Bootlegs? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 24, 2014 11:41 pm

I have a bunch of live bootlegs of various bands and I was wondering what some of your favorites are.

One of mine is  Ozzy Osbourne - Crazy Paranoia

Favorite Live Bootlegs? Crazy%20Paranoia

This is an excellent soundboard recording made on 3/18/1984 in Salt Lake City. It's pretty cool to hear a Jake E. Lee show of this quality.

Here's the track listing:

1. Opening
2. I Don't Know
3. Mr. Crowley
4. Rock and Roll Rebel
5. Bark at the Moon
6. Revelation (Mother Earth)
7. Steal Away (the Night)
8. Suicide Solution
9. Center of Eternity
10. Drums Solo
11. Flying High Again
12. Iron Man
13. Crazy Train
14. Paranoid

So what are your favorites?
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37656

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Live Bootlegs?   Favorite Live Bootlegs? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 24, 2014 11:53 pm

I don't own a lot of boots but of the few that I have, these are my faves:

Metallica - Am I Evil? (Live @ Nuremberg Monsters of Rock Fest, Aug. 1987)
http://rateyourmusic.com/release/unauth/metallica/am_i_evil_/
One of the better quality boots I own, it also happens to be a recording of a show I could've been to when I was in Germany that Summer, but I didn't go (for reasons I won't get into, suffice to say I am still kicking myself a quarter century later). At least this LP gives me some idea of what I missed.

Type O Negative - We Suck... (Long Island, NY, 1993)
http://rateyourmusic.com/release/unauth/type_o_negative/we_suck___/
A decent quality boot of a Type O gig from the Bloody Kisses era (during which I saw the band a bunch of times - I was not at this particular show though). They even perform two songs from Pete Steele's former band Carnivore in this set. I like this boot better than their "official" pseudo-live release Origin of the Feces.

KISS - Unchained & Unmasked (New Jersey, 1992)
http://rateyourmusic.com/release/unauth/kiss/unchained_and_unmasked/
This was taped at the gig I saw on the Revenge tour at the Meadowlands Arena in New Jersey. Great quality and the full set list from that tour was far superior to the condensed set that was eventually released on Alive III.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Nomadic Drifter
Metal novice
Metal novice
Nomadic Drifter

Number of posts : 77

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Live Bootlegs?   Favorite Live Bootlegs? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 25, 2014 1:35 am

I have 2 Iron Maiden Bootlegs that I listen to more frequently than any of the OFFICIAL live releases. One is from the Paul Di'anno era on the Japanese tour. I think parts of this ended up on the Maiden Japan EP. The other is from the Piece of Mind Tour - some really entertaining rants from Bruce about Frank Herbert (author of Dune) and a football (soccer) rant about the FA cup result.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Live Bootlegs?   Favorite Live Bootlegs? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 25, 2014 3:22 am

Favorite Live Bootlegs? Blacksabbathasburynjaug

Favorite Live Bootlegs? Iron_Maiden___maiden-japan

There are lots of great bootlegs but these two really need a proper release!

Back to top Go down
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

Number of posts : 2998

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Live Bootlegs?   Favorite Live Bootlegs? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 25, 2014 6:42 am

I have 74 King's X boots and love them all. I also have a ton of boots from other bands, but the only ones I really listen to are from Saxon, the Dead Milkmen, Minor Threat, and Silverchair.

Back to top Go down
mikeinfla
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mikeinfla

Number of posts : 2477

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Live Bootlegs?   Favorite Live Bootlegs? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 25, 2014 7:30 am

Styx - Mantra Studios from 1977 or "Live Illusion" from Japan, Paradise Theatre Tour.

Also enjoy a RUSH boot from the "Grace Under Pressure" tour from Largo, MD. Fantastic soundboard show!
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Live Bootlegs?   Favorite Live Bootlegs? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 25, 2014 9:32 am

Two Maiden boots that are my person favorites:

and the Uniondale 2006 A Matter Of Life and Death show (couldn't find a full show clip on youtube) are great.

Not a favorite yet, but the Rock am ring 2014 is pretty darn good quality:

Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Live Bootlegs?   Favorite Live Bootlegs? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 25, 2014 10:21 am

Favorite Live Bootlegs? 13+-+1976+-+LOOK+HOMEWARD+ANGEL
Aerosmith - Look Homeward Angel
Recorded live at Shaeffer Music Festival, Central Park NY, August 29, 1975.

SIDE ONE
1. S.O.S. (Too Bad)
2. Somebody
3. Dream On
4. Write Me A Letter
SIDE TWO
1. Walk This Way
2. Train Kept A Rollin'
3. Toys In The Attic

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Thelemech

Number of posts : 4009

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Live Bootlegs?   Favorite Live Bootlegs? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 25, 2014 11:28 am

California Jam 74 - Black Sabbath
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Live Bootlegs?   Favorite Live Bootlegs? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 25, 2014 11:51 am

Favorite Live Bootlegs? E012118t4f3.jpg?width=300&height=300&enlarge=false&matte=true&matteColor=black&quality=0
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Live Bootlegs?   Favorite Live Bootlegs? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 25, 2014 12:05 pm

Boris2008 wrote:

The best Black Sabbath soundboard recording with Ozzy. Far superior to Live At Last.

Trivia: It was recorded on my 5th birthday. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Live Bootlegs?   Favorite Live Bootlegs? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 25, 2014 12:10 pm

S.D. wrote:
Boris2008 wrote:

The best Black Sabbath soundboard recording with Ozzy. Far superior to Live At Last.  

Trivia:  It was recorded on my 5th birthday.   Very Happy

I knew you'd post that one!
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Live Bootlegs?   Favorite Live Bootlegs? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 25, 2014 12:56 pm

Thelemech wrote:
California Jam 74 - Black Sabbath

Temple of Blood wrote:
Favorite Live Bootlegs? E012118t4f3.jpg?width=300&height=300&enlarge=false&matte=true&matteColor=black&quality=0

These, and a few Van Halen live boots:

Manchester 78
Fresno 79
Whisky 'n Gin (Whisky A Go Go, Santa Monica High +outtakes 77)

Need to check out that other Sabbath. I've heard a lot of great things about it.

But is the Metal Church Live an actual bootleg? As far as I know it was an official JP release, and even came packaged with Hanging in the Balance in Greece.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Live Bootlegs?   Favorite Live Bootlegs? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 25, 2014 1:35 pm

It was an officially released bootleg, AFAIK. Meaning unlike "live albums", no touch ups at all.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Live Bootlegs?   Favorite Live Bootlegs? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 25, 2014 1:44 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
It was an officially released bootleg, AFAIK.  Meaning unlike "live albums", no touch ups at all.

That makes sense. Also what I love about it; it's raw as hell.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Live Bootlegs?   Favorite Live Bootlegs? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 25, 2014 2:25 pm

There are hundreds of King Crimson soundboard recordings (they taped every show starting in '71), plus hundreds more audience recordings.  

Because Crimson improvised so much in concert no two shows are alike, so I've spent the past decade collecting as many of them as possible.

A couple favorites:

Favorite Live Bootlegs? Cover_3141619112009

Live At Summit Studios (Denver 1972) - This is my favorite, the short-lived Islands lineup recorded for a live broadcast in front of a small studio audience at a Denver radio station.  After the broadcast is over, the band continues to jam for another 40 minutes for the small audience.  Excellent recording quality and the intimate nature of the session makes it feel like the mighty Crim is playing in your living room!

Favorite Live Bootlegs? Cover_42521712112010
Live at Asbury Park (1974) - The amazing Starless/Red lineup caught in their full improvisational glory.  This band was HEAVY (in more ways than one).  Available on a twofer with another soundboard recorded in Mainz, the title of the disc is "The Collectable King Crimson Vol. 1".
Back to top Go down
TrogDawn
Janitor of the Void
TrogDawn

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Live Bootlegs?   Favorite Live Bootlegs? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 25, 2014 3:38 pm

https://rateyourmusic.com/list/trogdawn/bless_my_boots/
Back to top Go down
https://bandcamp.com/stonegrooverecords/following
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Live Bootlegs?   Favorite Live Bootlegs? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 25, 2014 10:52 pm

I own tons of DVD bootlegs but I will stick to audio CD's

AC/DC- Boston and Bon-1977 live recording from the Let There Be Rock tour and they just kill it

Black Sabbath-Mass for Ian- Born Again tour another radio broadcast from Boston
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7613

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Live Bootlegs?   Favorite Live Bootlegs? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 26, 2014 11:51 am

Another great one is Armored Saint - Live At Harpo's Detroit 1984

This is a radio broadcast and the sounds quality is excellent. You can truly hear how good Armored Saint was live, which they could never really capture on most of their studio albums.

Tracklist:

Harpo's - Detroit, MI. 1984 (radio broadcast)
1. March Of The Saint
2. Mutiny On The World
3. Stricken By Fate
4. Seducer
5. Take A Turn
6. Envy
7. Glory Hunter
8. False Alarm
9. Can U Deliver
10. Lesson Well Learned
11. Madhouse

Also there's a version of this called "Harpos Hooligans" that has this show, their 1982 demo, and their shows at Harpos in 1987 and 1988.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Live Bootlegs?   Favorite Live Bootlegs? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 26, 2014 11:54 am

I'd love to hear some bootlegs from the earliest days of KING CRIMSON.

They may be the only band that convinced me that they were brilliant on their debut album and never played an enjoyable bit of music after that. Even after 40+ years.

No band has ever had such a drop-off to me.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Live Bootlegs?   Favorite Live Bootlegs? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 26, 2014 12:07 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
I'd love to hear some bootlegs from the earliest days of KING CRIMSON.

They may be the only band that convinced me that they were brilliant on their debut album and never played an enjoyable bit of music after that.   Even after 40+ years.

No band has ever had such a drop-off to me.

Amongst King Crimson fans there was no drop-off. Especially considering that Lark's/Starless/Red are considered their best albums by the vast majority of fans and critics...and why extensive box set reissues have been happening for those records over the past few years. In The Wake Of Poseidon, Islands and Lizard are essential as well.

Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Live Bootlegs?   Favorite Live Bootlegs? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 26, 2014 12:17 pm

I don't really care what the majority of fans think. That has no bearing on how I form my opinions. I bought "Red", for example, because I love Bruford's playing and the first KC album and found it to be largely unlistenable. It's just "musician" music that is abusive to the listener. And this is from a guy who loves progressive rock and technical music.
Back to top Go down
TrogDawn
Janitor of the Void
TrogDawn

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Live Bootlegs?   Favorite Live Bootlegs? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 26, 2014 12:18 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
They may be the only band that convinced me that they were brilliant on their debut album and never played an enjoyable bit of music after that.   Even after 40+ years.

You have not really been listening then. They have a massive canon of incredible (and enjoyable) music. Some of it may be a challenge to listen to, but there was certainly no "drop off", as you called it.

If nothing else, have you ever listened to Discipline? That's probably their most accesible album after ITCOTCK...and it's only one of MANY stellar albums they've produced over the years.

They are a boutique band if ever there was one.
Back to top Go down
https://bandcamp.com/stonegrooverecords/following

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Live Bootlegs?   Favorite Live Bootlegs? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 26, 2014 12:27 pm

In The Wake Of Poseidon is the same lineup as the debut album and all the songs from that record were already being performed in concert during the tour for the first album. I would think TOB would at least be able to appreciate that one.

King Crimson is not "easy" music, probably one of the most challenging out there, you have to listen for a long time to really appreciate the layers happening. Having a working knowledge and understanding of free jazz and fusion also helps with everything from Islands thru Red.

Back to top Go down
Runicen
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

Number of posts : 1598

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Live Bootlegs?   Favorite Live Bootlegs? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 26, 2014 12:35 pm

Crimson is a gateway drug to Crimson, really. If you can find one album you like and really get inside of it, you'll find another in the canon that works as well and then on and on until you're just left scratching your head at Lizard (though the Steven Wilson mixes addressed that for me).

Islands is a highly underrated album and really pretty straightforward for the band. I could see that being a good foothold for someone who is more into 70s hard rock than prog.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Live Bootlegs?   Favorite Live Bootlegs? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Favorite Live Bootlegs?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next