Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Number of the Beast Iron Maiden's most overhyped album.

Go down 
+30
onrypt
journeyman
brokentulsa
Shawn Of Fire
Wayne
DeathCult
Thelemech
the sentinel
mc666
nevermore
mr.electric39
Nomadic Drifter
choosemetal
Glower
manny
Witchfinder
Required Fields
Gilbert
scottmitchell74
corplhicks
Lurideath
Temple of Blood
thejokeriv
MoonChild
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
mikeinfla
Lari
Boris2008
fingers
34 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

Number of the Beast Iron Maiden's most overhyped album. - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Number of the Beast Iron Maiden's most overhyped album.   Number of the Beast Iron Maiden's most overhyped album. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 15, 2014 8:00 pm

007 wrote:
thejokeriv wrote:

The Longest Day

Yes. One of my favorites off the newer albums.

Thirded!
Back to top Go down
Thelemech
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Thelemech

Number of posts : 4009

PostSubject: Re: Number of the Beast Iron Maiden's most overhyped album.   Number of the Beast Iron Maiden's most overhyped album. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 15, 2014 8:50 pm

I love it. Truly a great album from top to bottom. That being said - I like Somewhere In Time the most.
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

PostSubject: Re: Number of the Beast Iron Maiden's most overhyped album.   Number of the Beast Iron Maiden's most overhyped album. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 15, 2014 9:39 pm

Overhyped? Eh, not really, it's just the populist choice and the go to for people who aren't really into Maiden. An essential album, but not my favorite or their best. It was written in a bit of a rush, and doesn't flow 100% in some places. The only song I actually dislike on the record is Invaders though, the rest is great.
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

PostSubject: Re: Number of the Beast Iron Maiden's most overhyped album.   Number of the Beast Iron Maiden's most overhyped album. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 15, 2014 11:51 pm

number of the beast is the only maiden album still missing from my collection. simply because the only few songs I like are already on one of the maiden compilations I got.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Number of the Beast Iron Maiden's most overhyped album.   Number of the Beast Iron Maiden's most overhyped album. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 16, 2014 2:49 am

S.D. wrote:

Go back and listen to the self-titled and Killers and you'll find lots of little moments.  

This! They lost that slightly proggy element when Bruce came on board and I think that's a shame. I haven't listened to the new stuff enough to have any real opinion, but I thinkthat you would be hard pressed to find anything with as much prog in it as this.

One of my favorite Maiden songs of all time Very Happy
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Number of the Beast Iron Maiden's most overhyped album.   Number of the Beast Iron Maiden's most overhyped album. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 16, 2014 8:40 am

Boris2008 wrote:
S.D. wrote:

Go back and listen to the self-titled and Killers and you'll find lots of little moments.  

This! They lost that slightly proggy element when Bruce came on board and I think that's a shame. I haven't listened to the new stuff enough to have any real opinion, but I thinkthat you would be hard pressed to find anything with as much prog in it as this.

One of my favorite Maiden songs of all time Very Happy

Since you aren't as familiar with the newer stuff, here's a lesson with proggy elements:

Back to top Go down
Wayne
Metal student
Metal student
Wayne

Number of posts : 169

PostSubject: Re: Number of the Beast Iron Maiden's most overhyped album.   Number of the Beast Iron Maiden's most overhyped album. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 16, 2014 1:01 pm

Number of the beast is a stone classic that should be part of anyones metal collection. All opinions i know but to me there will always be some albums that are just so good that they define metal and beast is one of them alongside albums like rust in peace, painkiller, paranoid, master of puppets, reign in blood and many others.

The most over rated maiden album in my opinion is somewhere in time. That gets a lot of love on this board and whilst its a very good album i will never understand when people claim its their favourite maiden album. It came about at a time when a lot of british bands were chasing the american dollar and bands like priest and saxon and one or two others were going through their most commercial phase. Ironic when american bands were getting heavier and bands like slayer, metallica and megadeth and a host of others were releasing some of their best stuff.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Number of the Beast Iron Maiden's most overhyped album.   Number of the Beast Iron Maiden's most overhyped album. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 16, 2014 1:03 pm

Yeah, I agree that SiT is overrated as well. Not to say it doesn't have some great songs on it though. And perhaps their greatest album cover?
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Number of the Beast Iron Maiden's most overhyped album.   Number of the Beast Iron Maiden's most overhyped album. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 16, 2014 1:20 pm

Somewhere In Time is my favorite Maiden album...

PostSubject: Re: Number of the Beast Iron Maiden's most overhyped album.   Number of the Beast Iron Maiden's most overhyped album. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 16, 2014 1:22 pm

Somewhere In Time is probably the 80s Iron Maiden album (with Bruce) I listen to the most these days. It's not quite as overplayed as some of the others and I think the songwriting stands up well. The synth sound is a little dated but it's mostly just atmospheric background so doesn't have much of a negative impact. I think it's packed with good songs, my personal favorite being The Loneliness Of The Long Distance Runner.
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

PostSubject: Re: Number of the Beast Iron Maiden's most overhyped album.   Number of the Beast Iron Maiden's most overhyped album. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 16, 2014 1:29 pm

damn I just realized that I do not own the self titled debut scratch

will pick it up tomorrow for sure.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7631

PostSubject: Re: Number of the Beast Iron Maiden's most overhyped album.   Number of the Beast Iron Maiden's most overhyped album. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 16, 2014 1:43 pm

I love Somewhere In Time.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40553

PostSubject: Re: Number of the Beast Iron Maiden's most overhyped album.   Number of the Beast Iron Maiden's most overhyped album. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 16, 2014 3:09 pm

Somewhere In Time is excellent. They were touring for that album when I saw them in concert (with Yngwie Malmsteen opening). Great show !
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Number of the Beast Iron Maiden's most overhyped album.   Number of the Beast Iron Maiden's most overhyped album. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 16, 2014 5:20 pm

SiT is a fun album, full of memorable moments.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

PostSubject: Re: Number of the Beast Iron Maiden's most overhyped album.   Number of the Beast Iron Maiden's most overhyped album. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 16, 2014 6:04 pm

Deja Vu is one of the worst songs they ever recorded.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Number of the Beast Iron Maiden's most overhyped album.   Number of the Beast Iron Maiden's most overhyped album. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 16, 2014 8:18 pm

Love Somewhere in Time - great album cover too!

I've had to stay away from Seventh Son recently.... Mostly from seeing the Maiden England tour 15 times....
Back to top Go down
brokentulsa
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
brokentulsa

Number of posts : 1779

PostSubject: Re: Number of the Beast Iron Maiden's most overhyped album.   Number of the Beast Iron Maiden's most overhyped album. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 16, 2014 10:26 pm

I love number of the beast..also really love somewhere in time and seventh son of the seventh son...The latest album..Final Frontier is one I also enjoyed alot...
Back to top Go down
journeyman
Metal master
Metal master
journeyman

Number of posts : 883

PostSubject: Re: Number of the Beast Iron Maiden's most overhyped album.   Number of the Beast Iron Maiden's most overhyped album. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 17, 2014 12:04 am

Not overrated or overplayed. It was their breakthrough album. It is the album, many remember and refer to. Why, well because of the videos for run to the hills and number of the beast. Mtv played them quite a bit and radio followed suit. The same could be said about Van Helen's 1984. Casual fans and recognition play a big part. Most Maiden fans rank number of the beast differently than mainstream. There really isn't much I don't like from Maiden and consider the album great, but I rarely listen to it and when I do it usually skip to the less popular tracks.
Back to top Go down
onrypt
Metal student
Metal student
onrypt

Number of posts : 174

PostSubject: Re: Number of the Beast Iron Maiden's most overhyped album.   Number of the Beast Iron Maiden's most overhyped album. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 19, 2014 11:56 pm

Powerslave is my absolute favorite.
Great tracks throughout and saw them on tour for this album which helps, lol.
Anyone that can put Rime of the Ancient Mariner to music deserves praise Smile
Absolute favorite song has to be Hallowed Be Thy Name, but this is almost like someone handing me 3 cases of microbrews and asking me to pick a favorite…
Did I get offtrack?
No, Number of the Beast isn't overhyped
Invaders
The Number of the Beast
Run to the Hills
Gangland
Hallowed Be Thy Name
Nope, not overhyped at all….
Personally I think there are better Maiden albums, but the reason it gets mentioned is the title and album art. Controversial art and title get it mentioned more(and hyped), but there are some solid classics on it.
Up the irons
Back to top Go down
http://www.last.fm/user/P207b
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

PostSubject: Re: Number of the Beast Iron Maiden's most overhyped album.   Number of the Beast Iron Maiden's most overhyped album. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 20, 2014 12:06 am

onrypt wrote:

Up the irons

Gaaaaahhhh!!!! I HATE that phrase! Especially when used by Maiden fans who don't know what it means (I know that some of you will know)angry

Nah! Come to think of it, I hate it when West Ham fans say it too!  lol!

Sorry onrypt, it's just a pet hate. (mostly football related)
Back to top Go down
onrypt
Metal student
Metal student
onrypt

Number of posts : 174

PostSubject: Re: Number of the Beast Iron Maiden's most overhyped album.   Number of the Beast Iron Maiden's most overhyped album. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 20, 2014 12:11 am

Should I say "Up the Ham-mers?"
Smile
(It's all good and no offense taken Smile )
Back to top Go down
http://www.last.fm/user/P207b
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

PostSubject: Re: Number of the Beast Iron Maiden's most overhyped album.   Number of the Beast Iron Maiden's most overhyped album. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 20, 2014 1:12 am

onrypt wrote:
Should I say "Up the Ham-mers?"
Smile
(It's all good and no offense taken Smile  )

cool

Up the Hammers, Up the Irons is all cool if you like West Ham, however, why anyone would like West Ham is beyond me! lol!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Number of the Beast Iron Maiden's most overhyped album.   Number of the Beast Iron Maiden's most overhyped album. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 20, 2014 1:14 am

Okay, I'll bite...what exactly does "Up the Irons" mean? Inquiring yanks want to know.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

PostSubject: Re: Number of the Beast Iron Maiden's most overhyped album.   Number of the Beast Iron Maiden's most overhyped album. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 20, 2014 1:30 am

West Ham football club, while now a big Premiership football club had their roots as Thames Ironworks FC (East End works team) and the nickname has stuck with West Ham fans to this day. So when Steve puts 'Up the Irons' all over Iron Maiden's stuff, it's because he's a massive fan of that team, nothing to do with the band really

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Number of the Beast Iron Maiden's most overhyped album.   Number of the Beast Iron Maiden's most overhyped album. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 20, 2014 1:35 am

Cool. Thanks. Back in the 80s I always thought it was a stupid expression, makes more sense knowing the context.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Number of the Beast Iron Maiden's most overhyped album.   Number of the Beast Iron Maiden's most overhyped album. - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Number of the Beast Iron Maiden's most overhyped album.
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next