Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Exodus fan jailed for posting lyrics on Facebook

Go down 
+27
manny
Required Fields
Lari
Sword Of The Heretic
exact33
Thrasher73
mc666
Boris2008
Stender
corplhicks
DakotaRogers
Troublezone
Vexer6
MoonChild
Witchfinder
ultmetal
chewie
scottmitchell74
ZombieHavoc
Fat Freddy
thejokeriv
MetalGuy71
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
Wayne
Runicen
Icy Grave
31 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

Number of posts : 2998

Exodus fan jailed for posting lyrics on Facebook - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Exodus fan jailed for posting lyrics on Facebook   Exodus fan jailed for posting lyrics on Facebook - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 06, 2014 4:01 pm

Schools in America get bomb threats twice a week. So we all need Kim Jung Un haircuts? We are a fear-based nation which lets legislators strip our freedoms. That is why we are no longer a true democracy. Our representatives no longer represent. Add in a psycho national media pool and a militarized police force...
Back to top Go down
Vexer6
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Vexer6

Number of posts : 1307

PostSubject: Re: Exodus fan jailed for posting lyrics on Facebook   Exodus fan jailed for posting lyrics on Facebook - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 06, 2014 4:16 pm

UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS wrote:
Schools in America get bomb threats twice a week.  So we all need Kim Jung Un haircuts?  We are a fear-based nation which lets legislators strip our freedoms.  That is why we are no longer a true democracy.  Our representatives no longer represent.  Add in a psycho national media pool and a militarized police force...
I think all this talk about us no longer being a "true" democracy is complete and utter nonsense Rolling Eyes , and no schools do not get bomb threats twice a week, they're not that common.

Our representatives DO represent and not all media is "psycho-national", and I don't think police being militarized is necessarily inherently bad.

don't really see what "Kim Jung Un haircuts" has to do with anything Question
Back to top Go down
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

PostSubject: Re: Exodus fan jailed for posting lyrics on Facebook   Exodus fan jailed for posting lyrics on Facebook - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 06, 2014 4:25 pm

Sounds like you disagree, Vex....haha
Back to top Go down
Sword Of The Heretic
Metal master
Metal master
Sword Of The Heretic

Number of posts : 605

PostSubject: Re: Exodus fan jailed for posting lyrics on Facebook   Exodus fan jailed for posting lyrics on Facebook - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 06, 2014 4:36 pm

I wonder, did Eminem ever get arrested when he wrote "Kim"? If you don't know what I'm talking about, look it up on youtube.
Back to top Go down
Vexer6
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Vexer6

PostSubject: Re: Exodus fan jailed for posting lyrics on Facebook   Exodus fan jailed for posting lyrics on Facebook - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 06, 2014 5:08 pm

Sword Of The Heretic wrote:
I wonder, did Eminem ever get arrested when he wrote "Kim"? If you don't know what I'm talking about, look it up on youtube.
No, but Kim did try to sue him for defamation over that song, also the Canadian attorney general tried to stop him from playing a concert at the Skydome in Toronto by throwing a hate-crime charge at Eminem over the lyrics of songs like "Kill You", though nobody took it seriously and the concert went on as planned.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: Exodus fan jailed for posting lyrics on Facebook   Exodus fan jailed for posting lyrics on Facebook - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 06, 2014 5:17 pm

Vexer6 wrote:
exact33 wrote:
thejokeriv wrote:
chewie wrote:

This country has turned into a Nixonian Paradise!

Not true - you would have more rights in a Nixonian paradise!

(not that I would want to live under that either)

that sounds like a Weird Al song... oh wait...

What i find amusing is this guy gets carted off to jail but bands out there who write and record stuff similar to this dont suffer the same fate. Maybe this is not too far off.

Because they don't randomly post lyrics on Facebook at around the same time a school gets a bomb threat?

people threaten to do all kinds of violent things all the time. Are we now going to haul bands off to jail if their lyrics happen to coincide with someone threatening someone else?

Vexer6
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Vexer6

PostSubject: Re: Exodus fan jailed for posting lyrics on Facebook   Exodus fan jailed for posting lyrics on Facebook - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 06, 2014 5:32 pm

exact33 wrote:
Vexer6 wrote:
exact33 wrote:
thejokeriv wrote:
chewie wrote:

This country has turned into a Nixonian Paradise!

Not true - you would have more rights in a Nixonian paradise!

(not that I would want to live under that either)

that sounds like a Weird Al song... oh wait...

What i find amusing is this guy gets carted off to jail but bands out there who write and record stuff similar to this dont suffer the same fate. Maybe this is not too far off.

Because they don't randomly post lyrics on Facebook at around the same time a school gets a bomb threat?

people threaten to do all kinds of violent things all the time. Are we now going to haul bands off to jail if their lyrics happen to coincide with someone threatening someone else?
Not the same thing as posting stuff on facebook, so no.
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9051

PostSubject: Re: Exodus fan jailed for posting lyrics on Facebook   Exodus fan jailed for posting lyrics on Facebook - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 06, 2014 5:45 pm

I really do think that the context - an uncredited posting on Facebook, for all the world to see - is the issue. If he had credited Exodus with the words, or done this in a different forum/context, or a million other different ways, we wouldn't be having this discussion. But he deliberately choose inflammatory words without citing the author, on Facebook.

Someone mentioned earlier, it's in the same vein as shouting "Fire!" in a crowded theater. He did the online version of this.

When artists write lyrics, or authors poems, or directors movie lines, there's context. 99.9999% (literally) of the population had no idea these were Exodus lyrics. Context.
Back to top Go down
Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

Number of posts : 6557

PostSubject: Re: Exodus fan jailed for posting lyrics on Facebook   Exodus fan jailed for posting lyrics on Facebook - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 06, 2014 6:43 pm

Vexer6 wrote:
Schools in America get bomb threats twice a week.  So we all need Kim Jung Un haircuts?  We are a fear-based nation which lets legislators strip our freedoms.  That is why we are no longer a true democracy.  Our representatives no longer represent.  Add in a psycho national media pool and a militarized police force...
I think all this talk about us no longer being a "true" democracy is complete and utter nonsense Rolling Eyes , and no schools do not get bomb threats twice a week, they're not that common.

Our representatives DO represent and not all media is "psycho-national", and I don't think police being militarized is necessarily inherently bad.

Exodus fan jailed for posting lyrics on Facebook - Page 3 811939
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: Exodus fan jailed for posting lyrics on Facebook   Exodus fan jailed for posting lyrics on Facebook - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 06, 2014 7:57 pm

It's like Ice-T sez: "Freedom of Speech...just watch what you say."

There's a popular saying re: Facebook (and social media in general): "don't post anything you wouldn't want your Grandma to see.' That's good advice. If this Exodus dude had followed it, he wouldn't have spent 8 days in jail.

There's also a strange mindset amongst FB users, that whatever you post there is somehow "private" and limited to you and your friends. That's bullsh*t. It's a free site, everything you post is on their servers, therefore nothing you post is "private."

A few years ago there was a big stink in my home town involving a guy on the local fire department, who also worked for the local DPW. This nimrod got busted for posting racist pix and status updates on his personal FB, while at the same time ID'ing himself as a proud member of the town fire dept. and the Dept. of Public Works. When he wished all of his Facebook friends a "Happy James Earl Ray day" on Martin Luther King Jr's birthday, someone complained to his superiors and his ass got canned. Dude then ranted and raved about how his "freedom of speech" was being violated. The town countered by saying that they didn't want their reputation tarnished by this guy identifying himself as one of their employees.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat

Last edited by Fat Freddy on Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:49 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
Vexer6
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Vexer6

PostSubject: Re: Exodus fan jailed for posting lyrics on Facebook   Exodus fan jailed for posting lyrics on Facebook - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 06, 2014 7:58 pm

Stender wrote:
Vexer6 wrote:

No idea what that image means.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

PostSubject: Re: Exodus fan jailed for posting lyrics on Facebook   Exodus fan jailed for posting lyrics on Facebook - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 06, 2014 8:18 pm

I didn't read the whole thread, but posting something that can sound like a violent threat is an instant red flag to the police, as it should be. Too many lunatics out there willing to murder others, to not check up on another one that posts about murdering. Terrorists post threats all the time. The small inconvenience after finding out it's just a dumb kid quoting lyrics is nothing compared to knowing you might have missed avoiding an actual massacre.

AND it's just common courtesy - if you're quoting someone, you should make it understood it's not your own words.

It goes back to the responsibility that comes with the awesome power of freedom of speech.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Exodus fan jailed for posting lyrics on Facebook   Exodus fan jailed for posting lyrics on Facebook - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 06, 2014 8:24 pm

Vexer6 wrote:
and I don't think police being militarized is necessarily inherently bad.

Go visit any country that has this.

Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28617

PostSubject: Re: Exodus fan jailed for posting lyrics on Facebook   Exodus fan jailed for posting lyrics on Facebook - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 06, 2014 8:26 pm

S.D. wrote:
Maybe he should have added something like - from the song "..." by Exodus to cover his ass.  

Yep.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

PostSubject: Re: Exodus fan jailed for posting lyrics on Facebook   Exodus fan jailed for posting lyrics on Facebook - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 06, 2014 8:54 pm

Vexer6 wrote:
Stender wrote:
Vexer6 wrote:

It means..YAYYYYY MILITARIZED STATESSS I'M A BRIGHT TEAL COLORED LITTLE DUDE THAT LIKES MAINTAINING THE STATUS QUO! You need to listen to more Discharge or something.
Back to top Go down
Vexer6
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Vexer6

PostSubject: Re: Exodus fan jailed for posting lyrics on Facebook   Exodus fan jailed for posting lyrics on Facebook - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 06, 2014 9:39 pm

Boris2008 wrote:
Vexer6 wrote:
and I don't think police being militarized is necessarily inherently bad.

Go visit any country that has this.

Eh? I don't get what you're saying.
Back to top Go down
Vexer6
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Vexer6

PostSubject: Re: Exodus fan jailed for posting lyrics on Facebook   Exodus fan jailed for posting lyrics on Facebook - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 06, 2014 9:39 pm

Stender wrote:
Vexer6 wrote:
Stender wrote:
Vexer6 wrote:

It means..YAYYYYY MILITARIZED STATESSS I'M A BRIGHT TEAL COLORED LITTLE DUDE THAT LIKES MAINTAINING THE STATUS QUO! You need to listen to more Discharge or something.

What the hell is Discharge? Also, what's wrong with maintaining the status quo? Don't really see how that's inherently a bad thing.
Back to top Go down
Vexer6
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Vexer6

PostSubject: Re: Exodus fan jailed for posting lyrics on Facebook   Exodus fan jailed for posting lyrics on Facebook - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 06, 2014 9:41 pm

Lari wrote:
I didn't read the whole thread, but posting something that can sound like a violent threat is an instant red flag to the police, as it should be. Too many lunatics out there willing to murder others, to not check up on another one that posts about murdering. Terrorists post threats all the time. The small inconvenience after finding out it's just a dumb kid quoting lyrics is nothing compared to knowing you might have missed avoiding an actual massacre.

AND it's just common courtesy - if you're quoting someone, you should make it understood it's not your own words.

It goes back to the responsibility that comes with the awesome power of freedom of speech.
Thank you! Nice to see some people get it, a few days in jail is nothing compared to a massacre, so if that's what it takes, then I say so be it. Maybe now this guy will actually learn his lesson and not just post any random crap on Facebook he feels like doing.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: Exodus fan jailed for posting lyrics on Facebook   Exodus fan jailed for posting lyrics on Facebook - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 06, 2014 10:52 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:

There's a popular saying re: Facebook (and social media in general): "don't  post anything you wouldn't want your Grandma to see.' That's good advice. If this Exodus dude had followed it, he wouldn't have spent 8 days in jail.

There's also a strange mindset amongst FB users, that whatever you post there is somehow "private" and limited to you and your friends. That's bullsh*t. It's  a free site, everything you post is on their servers, therefore nothing you post is "private."

A few years ago there was a big stink in my home town involving a guy on the local fire department, who also worked for the local DPW. This nimrod got busted for posting racist pix and status updates  on his personal FB, while at the same time ID'ing himself as a proud member of the town fire dept. and the Dept. of Public Works. When he wished all of his Facebook friends a "Happy James Earl Ray day" on Martin Luther King Jr's birthday, someone complained to his superiors and his ass got canned. Dude then ranted and raved about how his "freedom of speech" was being violated. The town countered by saying that they didn't want their reputation tarnished by this guy identifying himself as one of their employees.

most employers have those standards of conduct. I dont really object to them either. Was the guy who posted the lyrics dumb for not mentioning its a song? Yes. Did it rise to being in jail for 8 days? I dont think so.

What happens if i change my FB status to "Gone Hunting" when Deer Season opens? Is it ok for the cops to come and detain me?

Vexer6
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Vexer6

PostSubject: Re: Exodus fan jailed for posting lyrics on Facebook   Exodus fan jailed for posting lyrics on Facebook - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 06, 2014 10:54 pm

exact33 wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:

There's a popular saying re: Facebook (and social media in general): "don't  post anything you wouldn't want your Grandma to see.' That's good advice. If this Exodus dude had followed it, he wouldn't have spent 8 days in jail.

There's also a strange mindset amongst FB users, that whatever you post there is somehow "private" and limited to you and your friends. That's bullsh*t. It's  a free site, everything you post is on their servers, therefore nothing you post is "private."

A few years ago there was a big stink in my home town involving a guy on the local fire department, who also worked for the local DPW. This nimrod got busted for posting racist pix and status updates  on his personal FB, while at the same time ID'ing himself as a proud member of the town fire dept. and the Dept. of Public Works. When he wished all of his Facebook friends a "Happy James Earl Ray day" on Martin Luther King Jr's birthday, someone complained to his superiors and his ass got canned. Dude then ranted and raved about how his "freedom of speech" was being violated. The town countered by saying that they didn't want their reputation tarnished by this guy identifying himself as one of their employees.

most employers have those standards of conduct. I dont really object to them either. Was the guy who posted the lyrics dumb for not mentioning its a song? Yes. Did it rise to being in jail for 8 days? I dont think so.

What happens if i change my FB status to "Gone Hunting" when Deer Season opens? Is it ok for the cops to come and detain me?
That's fine, because most people won't mistake "hunting" for "murdering" or anything along those lines.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: Exodus fan jailed for posting lyrics on Facebook   Exodus fan jailed for posting lyrics on Facebook - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 06, 2014 11:11 pm

Vexer6 wrote:
exact33 wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:

That's fine, because most people won't mistake "hunting" for "murdering" or anything along those lines.

really? Moms Demand Action for Gunsense doesnt think so.

Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

PostSubject: Re: Exodus fan jailed for posting lyrics on Facebook   Exodus fan jailed for posting lyrics on Facebook - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 06, 2014 11:48 pm

Vexer6 wrote:
Stender wrote:
Vexer6 wrote:
Stender wrote:
Vexer6 wrote:

What the hell is Discharge?  Also, what's wrong with maintaining the status quo?  Don't really see how that's inherently a bad thing.

Well considering that 99% of the population of the planet ISNT within the status quo it might be considered a bit f*cked up and stuff...oh, Discharge? This is Discharge. headbanger

Back to top Go down
Vexer6
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Vexer6

PostSubject: Re: Exodus fan jailed for posting lyrics on Facebook   Exodus fan jailed for posting lyrics on Facebook - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 07, 2014 3:00 am

Discharge are a decent band musically, though the lyrics aren't that good.

Also i've never even heard of Moms for Action Gunsense, whatever the hell that is.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40553

PostSubject: Re: Exodus fan jailed for posting lyrics on Facebook   Exodus fan jailed for posting lyrics on Facebook - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 07, 2014 11:28 am

Vexer6 wrote:

Also i've never even heard of Moms for Action Gunsense, whatever the hell that is.

A gun control advocacy group.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moms_Demand_Action
Back to top Go down
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

PostSubject: Re: Exodus fan jailed for posting lyrics on Facebook   Exodus fan jailed for posting lyrics on Facebook - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 07, 2014 11:44 am

Just to simplify this thread - half of us here believe that the constitution should never be violated no matter what. And the other half believe that it is ok for civil rights to be violated in the name of public safety. And I am not saying that either one of us are 100% correct. But, let's ALL call it what it is, regardless of opinion.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Exodus fan jailed for posting lyrics on Facebook   Exodus fan jailed for posting lyrics on Facebook - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Exodus fan jailed for posting lyrics on Facebook
Page 3 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next