Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

SCORPIONS drummer jailed in Dubai

Go down 
+14
Glower
Gilbert
MetalGuy71
Shawn Of Fire
onrypt
Troublezone
martinsane
Lurideath
thejokeriv
Eyesore
Metal Misfit
MoonChild
ElectricEye93
Fat Freddy
18 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

SCORPIONS drummer jailed in Dubai Empty
PostSubject: SCORPIONS drummer jailed in Dubai   SCORPIONS drummer jailed in Dubai Icon_minitimeTue Apr 29, 2014 1:17 pm

Dang. Thirty days in the hole!!

Blabbermouth wrote:
According to The National, SCORPIONS drummer James Kottak will spend a month in a Dubai, United Arab Emirates jail after he was convicted on Tuesday morning of insulting Islam.

The 51-year-old American musician had reportedly consumed five glasses of wine on an April 3 flight from Moscow to Dubai while travelling to Bahrain on a Gulf Air flight to perform two days later at the country's Formula One grand prix. After taking a wrong turn and entering the transit hall, Kottak "started swearing and talking about 'non-educated Muslims' before he flashed his middle finger at passengers," according to witnesses. Police said he also lowered his trousers and showed people his behind.

An officer said he heard Kottak saying "what is this disgusting smell" before the drummer insulted Islam. "I didn't see anything else but I heard him," the officer said. "I then informed my supervisor, who came and took the defendant away."

A 27-year-old client service employee at the airport added: "When he [Kottak] saw the Pakistani and Afghani passengers, he covered his nose and said that there was no way he will travel with them." He added that the drummer then started swearing repeatedly at the arrivals area of Terminal 2. "He wasn't talking to a person specifically but was talking in general," the client service employee said. "He was very nervous at the time and talking loudly."

A 25-year-old Jordanian passenger services agent said Kottak came over to her and "was shouting 'non-educated Muslims' then he went to the office of the head and flashed his middle finger at the passengers."

Kottak denied that he insulted Islam, telling prosecutors: "I don't remember saying these words and I did not flash my middle finger." He also denied taking down his trousers, saying: "This is not true — I just lifted my shirt up to show the tattoo on my back" as a "spontaneous act." "There is no way that I would say such a phrase about Muslims, whether I was drunk or not," he said.

"I confess to drinking alcohol but I refuse the other two charges, I did not do them," he added.

In addition to spending one month in jail, Kottak — who has been in custody since April 3 — was fined 2,000 dirhams (approximately $545) for drinking alcohol without a license.

Kottak's time spent in detention will be deducted from his sentence.

Because of his arrest, Kottak did not perform with his bandmates at the April 5 show at the 2014 Formula One Gulf Air Bahrain Grand Prix and was replaced at the gig by Mark Cross (TAINTED NATION, FIREWIND, OUTLOUD, HELLOWEEN, METALLIUM).

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
ElectricEye93
Metal novice
Metal novice
ElectricEye93

Number of posts : 53

PostSubject: Re: SCORPIONS drummer jailed in Dubai   SCORPIONS drummer jailed in Dubai Icon_minitimeTue Apr 29, 2014 1:24 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:

Kottak's time spent in detention will be deducted from his sentence.

...so he'll actually be out a few days from now. Still, pretty bizarre stuff.
Back to top Go down
MoonChild
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 15680

PostSubject: Re: SCORPIONS drummer jailed in Dubai   SCORPIONS drummer jailed in Dubai Icon_minitimeTue Apr 29, 2014 1:35 pm

Yeah, happens with that savage cult.  SCORPIONS drummer jailed in Dubai 505193 
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: SCORPIONS drummer jailed in Dubai   SCORPIONS drummer jailed in Dubai Icon_minitimeTue Apr 29, 2014 1:48 pm

MoonChild wrote:

Now now. Be nice.

If anything, it sounds more like he was arrested simply because he was making a drunken spectacle of himself in an airport. Of course, any, err, "commentaries" he may have made probably didn't help, considering the part of the world he was in.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Metal Misfit
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

Number of posts : 3282

PostSubject: Re: SCORPIONS drummer jailed in Dubai   SCORPIONS drummer jailed in Dubai Icon_minitimeTue Apr 29, 2014 2:06 pm

Bad boy running wild.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: SCORPIONS drummer jailed in Dubai   SCORPIONS drummer jailed in Dubai Icon_minitimeTue Apr 29, 2014 2:09 pm

I was stationed at Al Dhafra Air Base in the UAE back in 2001. We went to Dubai a few times and were warned to stay vigilant and be wary of everyone. The first time we went, a group of men were sitting by a water fountain. One of them started shouting and pointing at me. I kept walking, assuming if I stopped I would be murdered. So the guy followed me, shouting (or so I interpreted it that way) the whole time. Finally I stopped, turned to face him, ready to fight or be blown up, and he came up to me and continued shouting and pointing.

Eventually my fear dissipated and I realized he was pointing at the green star tattoo on my chest and saying "GANGA!" Haha. So there I was thinking this guy wanted to kill me, and he probably just wanted to smoke some weed with me.

Another odd thing about Dubai: In the middle of it all, there is (or was) a frickin' Irish pub called Murphy's, whose patrons were all white. It was the strangest, most out-of-place pub I've ever been to.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: SCORPIONS drummer jailed in Dubai   SCORPIONS drummer jailed in Dubai Icon_minitimeTue Apr 29, 2014 2:13 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
MoonChild wrote:

Now now. Be nice.

If anything, it sounds more like he was arrested simply because he was making a drunken spectacle of himself in an airport. Of course, any, err, "commentaries" he may have made probably didn't help, considering the part of the world he was in.

You would think he would have been briefed on how to act/what to say/not to say...... That's a part of the world you don't want to act like a drunken idiot.... as he found out the hard way.
Back to top Go down
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3906

PostSubject: Re: SCORPIONS drummer jailed in Dubai   SCORPIONS drummer jailed in Dubai Icon_minitimeTue Apr 29, 2014 2:47 pm

Drunken idiots will always be drunken idiots! Maybe the dumbass will clean himself up finally.
Back to top Go down
martinsane
Metal master
Metal master
martinsane

Number of posts : 924

PostSubject: Re: SCORPIONS drummer jailed in Dubai   SCORPIONS drummer jailed in Dubai Icon_minitimeTue Apr 29, 2014 9:22 pm

[quote="Fat Freddy"]Dang. Thirty days in the hole!!

Blabbermouth wrote:

In addition to spending one month in jail, Kottak — who has been in custody since April 3 — was fined 2,000 dirhams (approximately $545) for drinking alcohol without a license.

I find that interestingly interesting...
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: SCORPIONS drummer jailed in Dubai   SCORPIONS drummer jailed in Dubai Icon_minitimeTue Apr 29, 2014 9:50 pm

^^ As I understand it, a lot of Westerners live and work in Dubai so alcohol is allowed, but only in certain areas and under very strict gov't control.

Obviously, the airpirt is not one of those certain areas.

Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: SCORPIONS drummer jailed in Dubai   SCORPIONS drummer jailed in Dubai Icon_minitimeTue Apr 29, 2014 10:16 pm

Hard to believe noone had a cell phone to take a pic of his supposed antics...
Back to top Go down
onrypt
Metal student
Metal student
onrypt

Number of posts : 174

PostSubject: Re: SCORPIONS drummer jailed in Dubai   SCORPIONS drummer jailed in Dubai Icon_minitimeWed Apr 30, 2014 12:51 am

was shouting 'non-educated Muslims'…..
…..yeah right….
Back to top Go down
http://www.last.fm/user/P207b
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: SCORPIONS drummer jailed in Dubai   SCORPIONS drummer jailed in Dubai Icon_minitimeWed Apr 30, 2014 8:12 am

onrypt wrote:
was shouting 'non-educated Muslims'…..
…..yeah right….

Yeah, cuz when you're drunk you go after someone's lack of proper education.

lol! 
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: SCORPIONS drummer jailed in Dubai   SCORPIONS drummer jailed in Dubai Icon_minitimeWed May 07, 2014 11:53 am

So I guess he did his time and is back in the US...

Quote :
German hard rock veterans SCORPIONS have confirmed that their American drummer, James Kottak, arrived in the U.S. last night after spending a month in a Dubai, United Arab Emirates jail for insulting Islam. The band added in a statement posted on Facebook: "[James] will have to find the time to sort out his problems."

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: SCORPIONS drummer jailed in Dubai   SCORPIONS drummer jailed in Dubai Icon_minitimeMon Dec 01, 2014 5:00 pm

Kottak is back with the band...

Quote :
SCORPIONS' American drummer James Kottak has rejoined the band on the road eight months after he spent a month in a Dubai, United Arab Emirates jail in April for insulting Islam.

Kottak, who has been receiving treatment for alcohol abuse, released a statement in early June in which he said "this entire incident caused me to realize that it is time to stop drinking once and for all so that I can become the father, musician, and friend that I know I can be."

Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

PostSubject: Re: SCORPIONS drummer jailed in Dubai   SCORPIONS drummer jailed in Dubai Icon_minitimeMon Dec 01, 2014 11:51 pm

No one should live among savages. If there is anyone who knows about these regimes that is me...
Back to top Go down
Glower
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Glower

Number of posts : 3219

PostSubject: Re: SCORPIONS drummer jailed in Dubai   SCORPIONS drummer jailed in Dubai Icon_minitimeTue Dec 02, 2014 5:41 am

He's not the original drummer - this guy was born in Kentucky - not Germany -
Kentucky has some good moonshine in the Appalacian Mountians, by the way -
Ha ha - remember when 'wild' Mick Brown got arrested - (gigging with Nugent) -
I think he was driving a golf cart recklessly happy
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: SCORPIONS drummer jailed in Dubai   SCORPIONS drummer jailed in Dubai Icon_minitimeMon Sep 12, 2016 12:00 pm

So Kottak is out, Mikkey Dee is in...

Quote :
German hard rock veterans SCORPIONS have announced the addition of former MOTÖRHEAD member Mikkey Dee as a permanent replacement for SCORPIONS' longtime drummer James Kottak. Dee had spent the last few months filling in for Kottak, who was said to be on break while he sought medical attention.

Said SCORPIONS in a statement: "We would like to thank James for so many years of lasting participation in the band and personal friendship. We understand and respect his need for time as he makes his way through the final stages of his healing process.

"After our incredibly successful shows in the U.S., Europe and Asia, we are sure to have found a fantastic drummer with Mikkey Dee. He brings a fresh energy to the band and we look forward to the exciting time together that lies ahead."

"It's been great," Mikkey said about playing with the SCORPIONS. "These are great guys and we've known them for many years, and I love their music."

Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: SCORPIONS drummer jailed in Dubai   SCORPIONS drummer jailed in Dubai Icon_minitimeMon Sep 12, 2016 11:31 pm

Glad Mikkey Dee has a regular gig, I think he's fantastic.
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

PostSubject: Re: SCORPIONS drummer jailed in Dubai   SCORPIONS drummer jailed in Dubai Icon_minitimeTue Sep 13, 2016 12:51 am

Cool. Love both mikkey dee and scorpions.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: SCORPIONS drummer jailed in Dubai   SCORPIONS drummer jailed in Dubai Icon_minitimeMon Sep 19, 2016 1:33 pm

I follow the Scorpions on FB and they've posted numerous pix of Mikkey "helping out" on drums at various live gigs over the past few weeks...and Kottak's ongoing battle with the bottle is not exactly a trade secret either, so this news is not a shock by any means.

On a semi-related note, I watched the "Scorpions: Forever and a Day" documentary on Hulu over the weekend and Kottak came across as a motormouth, showboating douche every time the camera was on him. I didn't realize he'd been in the band for almost 20 years. After watching - and being irritated by - his behavior in this movie, if I were Klaus I would've canned his a$$ after his first tour. Very Happy

Back to top Go down
mikeinfla
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mikeinfla

Number of posts : 2477

PostSubject: Re: SCORPIONS drummer jailed in Dubai   SCORPIONS drummer jailed in Dubai Icon_minitimeMon Sep 19, 2016 5:34 pm

Whatever happened to Herman Rarebell? I haven't kept up with the Scorps in ages.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7632

PostSubject: Re: SCORPIONS drummer jailed in Dubai   SCORPIONS drummer jailed in Dubai Icon_minitimeMon Sep 19, 2016 6:36 pm

mikeinfla wrote:
Whatever happened to Herman Rarebell? I haven't kept up with the Scorps in ages.

He left the band back in 95 or 96.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
brokentulsa
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
brokentulsa

Number of posts : 1779

PostSubject: Re: SCORPIONS drummer jailed in Dubai   SCORPIONS drummer jailed in Dubai Icon_minitimeTue Sep 20, 2016 4:07 pm

Quote :
I follow the Scorpions on FB and they've posted numerous pix of Mikkey "helping out" on drums at various live gigs over the past few weeks...and Kottak's ongoing battle with the bottle is not exactly a trade secret either, so this news is not a shock by any means.

The scorpions posted that Kottak is officially out and that Mikkey is officially the scorpions drummer...

Quote :

He has done a few solo projects..sat in with a few bands in germany and is now the official drummer for the Michael Schenker group...
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: SCORPIONS drummer jailed in Dubai   SCORPIONS drummer jailed in Dubai Icon_minitimeTue Sep 20, 2016 4:32 pm

Quote :
The scorpions posted that Kottak is officially out and that Mikkey is officially the scorpions drummer...

You're late. See six posts above yours. Very Happy

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: SCORPIONS drummer jailed in Dubai   SCORPIONS drummer jailed in Dubai Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

SCORPIONS drummer jailed in Dubai
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next