Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Savatage reunion

Go down 
+28
Required Fields
A Handful of Wayne
Wrecked Neck
Dark Horseman
manny
tul
Spiner202
thejokeriv
Runicen
MetalGuy71
Shawn Of Fire
Citanul
Temple of Blood
Boris2008
Gilbert
sovdat
DallasBlack
Eyesore
nevermore
mc666
Headbanger Man
Witchfinder
corplhicks
Fat Freddy
Glower
Lari
kmorg
32 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

Savatage reunion - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Savatage reunion   Savatage reunion - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 11, 2020 2:29 pm

SAVATAGE ARE PLOTTING THEIR RETURN - "JON OLIVA IS ALWAYS WORKING ON NEW MUSIC, CONSTANTLY SENDING ME NEW SONGS AND NEW IDEAS," SAYS GUITARIST AL PITRELLI

I know the fanbase in Europe would be delighted, and it would be nice to be able to do that. Yes, we talk about it a lot and I think one day we will because, as I told you, the world changes in a moment and I don't want to one day have the regret of saying, 'We should have done it when we could!'
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26449

PostSubject: Re: Savatage reunion   Savatage reunion - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 11, 2020 2:33 pm

I hope it happens!!
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40562

PostSubject: Re: Savatage reunion   Savatage reunion - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 11, 2020 3:07 pm

That would be great but I'm not holding my breath.
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

PostSubject: Re: Savatage reunion   Savatage reunion - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 11, 2020 3:44 pm

I hope they do.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: Savatage reunion   Savatage reunion - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 11, 2020 3:49 pm

It would be great of course, but I'm not gonna hold my breath either, as 007 sez.

The headline is kinda misleading cuz a couple of guys saying "wouldn't it be cool if..." is a long way from "plotting their return."

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28617

PostSubject: Re: Savatage reunion   Savatage reunion - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 11, 2020 3:57 pm

It seems like the door is opening, but I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't happen.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Savatage reunion   Savatage reunion - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 11, 2020 8:15 pm

Hope springs eternal.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Big Rich
Metal master
Metal master
Big Rich

Number of posts : 677

PostSubject: Re: Savatage reunion   Savatage reunion - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 11, 2020 10:08 pm

mc666 wrote:
This band is only cool here.

"When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign; that all the dunces are in confederacy against him " - Jonathan Swift

Lari likes this post

Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: Savatage reunion   Savatage reunion - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 11, 2020 10:29 pm

Without Criss, it’s not really Savatage. He was too unique to replace. But I support Jon’s right to use the name.
Back to top Go down
Big Rich
Metal master
Metal master
Big Rich

PostSubject: Re: Savatage reunion   Savatage reunion - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 12, 2020 8:03 am

Troublezone wrote:
Without Criss, it’s not really Savatage. He was too unique to replace. But I support Jon’s right to use the name.

I agree with this. It was never the same after he passed. I always thoughbthe band should've stopped when he died.

I doubt this happens anyways.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

PostSubject: Re: Savatage reunion   Savatage reunion - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 12, 2020 8:08 am

Big Rich wrote:
Troublezone wrote:

I agree with this. It was never the same after he passed. I always thoughbthe band should've stopped when he died.
They did their best record in 1997.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: Savatage reunion   Savatage reunion - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 12, 2020 9:47 am

Lari wrote:
Big Rich wrote:
Troublezone wrote:

I disagree
Back to top Go down
pdf0427
Metal novice
Metal novice

Number of posts : 26

PostSubject: Re: Savatage reunion   Savatage reunion - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 12, 2020 9:56 am

Troublezone wrote:
Lari wrote:
Big Rich wrote:
Troublezone wrote:

I disagree

Whatever name you put on the cover, The Wake Of Magellan is a fantastic record, and nothing post-Criss is a dud. I'm glad we have those albums.

The headline is click bait. I really hope I'm wrong, but I don't think we'll see anything more from Jon. He hasn't exactly been healthy forever, and things are likely to escalate in the wrong direction with age. Like I said, I really hope I'm wrong.
Back to top Go down
Big Rich
Metal master
Metal master
Big Rich

PostSubject: Re: Savatage reunion   Savatage reunion - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 12, 2020 10:33 am

[quote="Lari"]
Big Rich wrote:
Troublezone wrote:

They did their best record in 1997.[/quote

Nah]
Back to top Go down
Big Rich
Metal master
Metal master
Big Rich

PostSubject: Re: Savatage reunion   Savatage reunion - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 12, 2020 10:35 am

pdf0427 wrote:
Troublezone wrote:
Lari wrote:
Big Rich wrote:
Troublezone wrote:

I disagree

Whatever name you put on the cover, The Wake Of Magellan is a fantastic record, and nothing post-Criss is a dud.  I'm glad we have those albums.

The headline is click bait.  I really hope I'm wrong, but I don't think we'll see anything more from Jon.  He hasn't exactly been healthy forever, and things are likely to escalate in the wrong direction with age.  Like I said, I really hope I'm wrong.

Thise are albums are good. But it ain't Savatage.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: Savatage reunion   Savatage reunion - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 12, 2020 4:09 pm

IMHDO... JO'sP stuff was better than most of the Savatage output after Criss was killed.

Put me in the "hope but doubt" camp sitting around the fire with a cold 40oz of 211

Fat Freddy likes this post

Back to top Go down
Big Rich
Metal master
Metal master
Big Rich

PostSubject: Re: Savatage reunion   Savatage reunion - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 12, 2020 4:41 pm

Yeah I'll take JOP over post-Criss too.

Of course a lot of those JOP songs were written from Criss riffs.
Back to top Go down
Big Rich
Metal master
Metal master
Big Rich

PostSubject: Re: Savatage reunion   Savatage reunion - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 16, 2020 12:17 pm

007 wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Runicen wrote:
The sad part of the story is that Jon Oliva to this day apparently still thinks the Savatage name was what held everyone back from success back in the day.

Savatage recorded that Sarajevo track and tried to get it on radio - nobody touched it.  The exact same track with a different band name?  Exploded.

I mean, cool to finally have your pay day, but that's got to be discouraging as hell...

That track was all over radio as a Savatage track. I heard it the very Christmas DWD came out, and the DJ's trying to figure out how to pronounce "Savatage"..

Interesting. I never heard it called a Savatage track when it was all over the radio.

Jon talks about that in this recent interview and a possible Savatage reuinion.

Said only 30 stations played the song under the Savatage name. And they sent it to 100s of stations. The next year they released the same exact song under the TSO name and it blew up.

https://defendersofthefaithmetal.com/jon-oliva-savatage-trans-siberian-orchestra-interview/
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

PostSubject: Re: Savatage reunion   Savatage reunion - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 16, 2020 12:34 pm

Yeah, it's not like there was a separate "TSO version". It's the exact same recording from the Dead Winter Dead album, just ditched the "Sarajevo" part from the title, named the artist Trans-Siberian Orchestra, and blam, HIT SONG. A million seller.

Then they made an entire album around that Savatage song, and the rest is history.

Caffery said on Youtube that Sarajevo 12/24 is the one Savatage song he's played the most live, though obviously under a different moniker:

Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

PostSubject: Re: Savatage reunion   Savatage reunion - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 16, 2020 12:42 pm

Big Rich wrote:
007 wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Runicen wrote:
The sad part of the story is that Jon Oliva to this day apparently still thinks the Savatage name was what held everyone back from success back in the day.

Savatage recorded that Sarajevo track and tried to get it on radio - nobody touched it.  The exact same track with a different band name?  Exploded.

I mean, cool to finally have your pay day, but that's got to be discouraging as hell...

That track was all over radio as a Savatage track. I heard it the very Christmas DWD came out, and the DJ's trying to figure out how to pronounce "Savatage"..

Interesting. I never heard it called a Savatage track when it was all over the radio.

Said only 30 stations played the song under the Savatage name. And they sent it to 100s of stations. The next year they released the same exact song under the TSO name and it blew up.

https://defendersofthefaithmetal.com/jon-oliva-savatage-trans-siberian-orchestra-interview/

Paul and I met in 1986 when we were performing what was supposedly going to be the very last Savatage show ever. My brother Criss had gotten an offer to audition for Megadeth and I had gotten an offer to audition for Black Sabbath.

Holy shit, the what-could-have-beens!

Imagine Seventh Star, Tyr, Headless Cross, the Eternal Idol with Jon Oliva!

Peace Sells, Rust in Peace, Countdown to Extinction with Criss Oliva!

drunken
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

PostSubject: Re: Savatage reunion   Savatage reunion - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 16, 2020 12:58 pm

I would have loved to hear Jon singing for Black Sabbath!
Back to top Go down
Big Rich
Metal master
Metal master
Big Rich

PostSubject: Re: Savatage reunion   Savatage reunion - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 16, 2020 1:08 pm

Lari wrote:
Big Rich wrote:
007 wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Runicen wrote:

Paul and I met in 1986 when we were performing what was supposedly going to be the very last Savatage show ever. My brother Criss had gotten an offer to audition for Megadeth and I had gotten an offer to audition for Black Sabbath.

Holy shit, the what-could-have-beens!

Imagine Seventh Star, Tyr, Headless Cross, the Eternal Idol with Jon Oliva!

Peace Sells, Rust in Peace, Countdown to Extinction with Criss Oliva!

drunken

Yeah but we wouldn't have all those great Savatage albums or TSO.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

PostSubject: Re: Savatage reunion   Savatage reunion - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 16, 2020 2:01 pm

Almost worth it if it means no TSO. Sleep
Back to top Go down
Big Rich
Metal master
Metal master
Big Rich

PostSubject: Re: Savatage reunion   Savatage reunion - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 16, 2020 3:41 pm

Lari wrote:
Almost worth it if it means no TSO. Sleep

It's not worth it not to have those Savatage albums, imo.

Lari likes this post

Back to top Go down
Big Rich
Metal master
Metal master
Big Rich

PostSubject: Re: Savatage reunion   Savatage reunion - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 16, 2020 3:43 pm

BTW, Mustaine has denied that Criss ever tried out for or was asked to join Megadeth.

He never said that Criss wasn't asked to audition though. So the way Jon phrased that makes more sense now.

Dave did have glowing things to say about him though.

Savatage reunion - Page 5 20201111

And this about Dio made me chuckle.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Savatage reunion   Savatage reunion - Page 5 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Savatage reunion
Page 5 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next