Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Rank these Prog Metal Masterpieces

Go down 
+22
SideShowDisaSter
Lovecraft
Thrasher73
MetalRob331
DeathCult
exact33
Headbanger Man
ultmetal
DakotaRogers
Eyesore
Citanul
thejokeriv
BearOnUnicycle
MetallicSeminarian
Leatherface
corplhicks
Fat Freddy
James B.
Shawn Of Fire
MetalGuy71
Temple of Blood
26 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

Rank these Prog Metal Masterpieces - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rank these Prog Metal Masterpieces   Rank these Prog Metal Masterpieces - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 24, 2014 4:28 pm

For those who haven't heard Nothingface, it's a weird album.  Laughing
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: Rank these Prog Metal Masterpieces   Rank these Prog Metal Masterpieces - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 24, 2014 4:32 pm

corplhicks wrote:
For those who haven't heard Nothingface, it's a weird album.  Laughing

It's the only VoiVod I own.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Headbanger Man
Metal student
Metal student
Headbanger Man

Number of posts : 145

PostSubject: Re: Rank these Prog Metal Masterpieces   Rank these Prog Metal Masterpieces - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 24, 2014 5:54 pm

I like the FW and the Queensrÿche ones , the rest I think I´ve acutally never heard ...
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: Rank these Prog Metal Masterpieces   Rank these Prog Metal Masterpieces - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 24, 2014 8:09 pm

QUEENSRYCHE - Operation: Mindcrime is tops for me.

Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Rank these Prog Metal Masterpieces   Rank these Prog Metal Masterpieces - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 24, 2014 10:02 pm

Voivod has simply never appealed to me. Admittedly it's been a really long time since I gave them a go, so my opinion might change if I did give them a shot, but from what I've heard in the past, I was never impressed much.
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

PostSubject: Re: Rank these Prog Metal Masterpieces   Rank these Prog Metal Masterpieces - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 24, 2014 10:11 pm

Eyesore wrote:
Voivod has simply never appealed to me. Admittedly it's been a really long time since I gave them a go, so my opinion might change if I did give them a shot, but from what I've heard in the past, I was never impressed much.

IMO "The Outer Limits" is probably one you would enjoy.

I personally love everything they've done in whatever style they attempted. Just a flat out amazing band.
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com
DeathCult
Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

PostSubject: Re: Rank these Prog Metal Masterpieces   Rank these Prog Metal Masterpieces - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 24, 2014 10:16 pm

1. VOIVOD- Nothingface
2. CYNIC- Focus
3. WATCHTOWER- Control and Resistance
4. QUEENSRYCHE- Operation: Mindcrime
5. FATES WARNING - Perfect Symmetry
6. DREAM THEATER- Images and Words

Last edited by DeathCult on Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

PostSubject: Re: Rank these Prog Metal Masterpieces   Rank these Prog Metal Masterpieces - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 24, 2014 10:53 pm

Prog is one of my fav genres and I only enjoy one of the albums on that list. Images and Words!
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: Rank these Prog Metal Masterpieces   Rank these Prog Metal Masterpieces - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 25, 2014 1:01 am

Eyesore wrote:
James B. wrote:
From the list...Each band has way better albums (IMHO).
1. VOIVOD - Nothingface
2. WATCHTOWER - Control and Resistance
3. CYNIC - Focus
4. FATES WARNING - Perfect Symmetry
5. QUEENSRYCHE - Operation: Mindcrime

man, I forgot Dream Theater \'arry \'eadbanger

They'd be between Cynic and Fates Warning

Did you edit your post to point out you'd forgotten to add Dream Theater instead of just adding Dream Theater to the list?  surprised 

I forgot they were even an option when doing my post.

Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Rank these Prog Metal Masterpieces   Rank these Prog Metal Masterpieces - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 25, 2014 2:39 am

Out if the ones I have;
FW
Watchtower
Cynic
Queensryche

Never could get into Voivod or DT
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Rank these Prog Metal Masterpieces   Rank these Prog Metal Masterpieces - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 25, 2014 1:16 pm

MetalRob331 wrote:
Prog is one of my fav genres and I only enjoy one of the albums on that list.

Most stuff these days called "prog" is not progressive, it's just flower metal.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

PostSubject: Re: Rank these Prog Metal Masterpieces   Rank these Prog Metal Masterpieces - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 25, 2014 2:06 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
BearOnUnicycle wrote:
I'd hack the thread and put Psychotic Waltz after Fates though.

I debated putting PSYCHOTIC WALTZ and others like DEPRESSIVE AGE on there but on a board where people haven't heard VOIVOD and WATCHTOWER ... what's the point?

and you knew that when you made the poll. surprised   Seems most stated this after the fact, just sayin.

Metal student
Metal student
Lovecraft

Number of posts : 120

PostSubject: Re: Rank these Prog Metal Masterpieces   Rank these Prog Metal Masterpieces - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 25, 2014 2:18 pm

#1 - Voivod

Don't like any of the other choices.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Rank these Prog Metal Masterpieces   Rank these Prog Metal Masterpieces - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 25, 2014 2:25 pm

James B. wrote:
Temple of Blood wrote:
BearOnUnicycle wrote:

I debated putting PSYCHOTIC WALTZ and others like DEPRESSIVE AGE on there but on a board where people haven't heard VOIVOD and WATCHTOWER ... what's the point?

and you knew that when you made the poll. surprised   Seems most stated this after the fact, just sayin.

I knew I needed to start with the more obvious ones. If everyone knew all of them then I would've considered making a poll with 10 or 15 options.
Back to top Go down
DakotaRogers
Metal master
Metal master
DakotaRogers

Number of posts : 920

PostSubject: Re: Rank these Prog Metal Masterpieces   Rank these Prog Metal Masterpieces - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 25, 2014 7:51 pm

The last two Anacrusis albums would have made a great addition, along with "A Social Grace." Even though only a handful of knowledgeable users would have voted for them.
Back to top Go down
SideShowDisaSter
Roo Jockey
SideShowDisaSter

Number of posts : 4607

PostSubject: Re: Rank these Prog Metal Masterpieces   Rank these Prog Metal Masterpieces - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 25, 2014 8:13 pm

1. CYNIC - Focus
2. WATCHTOWER - Control and Resistance
3. QUEENSRYCHE - Operation: Mindcrime
4. FATES WARNING - Perfect Symmetry (give me the first few albums, never dug this one much)
5. VOIVOD - Nothingface (much prefer Dimension Hatross and those before this one, but it's decent enough)
6. DREAM THEATER - Images and Words (for the sake of the topic I listed it here, but in truth I dislike this album. I find it boring to the Nth degree)

If it had been Dimension Hatross from Voivod, and Spectre Within or Awaken The Guardian from Fates, each would have been 3rd and 4th and Queensryche would have fallen to 5th (regardless of which album from them).

Things could have gotten VERY interesting if you had listed Depressive Age and Psychotic Waltz, as I like both better than Queensryche. And personally, I despise Dream Theater. I have tried to listen to them and hear whatever it is people rave about with them. I can't hear it, and I get so bored listening to them.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
glassprison

Number of posts : 2960

PostSubject: Re: Rank these Prog Metal Masterpieces   Rank these Prog Metal Masterpieces - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 25, 2014 10:39 pm

1. Dream Theater--Images and Words
2. Queensryche--Operation Mindcrime
3. Voivod--Nothingface
4. Fates Warning--Perfect Symmetry
5. Watchtower--Control and Resistance
6. Cynic--Focus

Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Rank these Prog Metal Masterpieces   Rank these Prog Metal Masterpieces - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 26, 2014 12:44 am

Only have 3. I rank them:

Dream Theater-Images And Words
Fates Warning-Perfect Symmetry
Queensryche-Operation Mindcrime

Just ranking bands, I would have switched the last 2. I just think OM is HIGHLY overrated. I love 3-4 songs and that's about it. The rest aren't bad, they just don't stay with me like other Queensryche songs.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

PostSubject: Re: Rank these Prog Metal Masterpieces   Rank these Prog Metal Masterpieces - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 26, 2014 1:17 am

Temple of Blood wrote:
James B. wrote:
Temple of Blood wrote:
BearOnUnicycle wrote:

I knew I needed to start with the more obvious ones.  If everyone knew all of them then I would've considered making a poll with 10 or 15 options.

ok, thanks

Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

PostSubject: Re: Rank these Prog Metal Masterpieces   Rank these Prog Metal Masterpieces - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 26, 2014 5:32 am

Temple of Blood wrote:
James B. wrote:
Temple of Blood wrote:
BearOnUnicycle wrote:

I knew I needed to start with the more obvious ones.  If everyone knew all of them then I would've considered making a poll with 10 or 15 options.
I only own and have heard two of those albums (Mindcrime, Images & Words). But I'm not much of a prog metal fan anyway. That Queensryche album does go beyond genre limitations and has universal appeal.
Back to top Go down
kropotkin
Metal novice
Metal novice
kropotkin

Number of posts : 55

PostSubject: Re: Rank these Prog Metal Masterpieces   Rank these Prog Metal Masterpieces - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 27, 2014 8:02 am

1. FATES WARNING - Perfect Symmetry - WATCHTOWER - Control and Resistance(No love for the first one???)

3. DREAM THEATER - Images and Words
4. CYNIC- FOCUS ( Death's Human would be in first place)

I don't care for the rest.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rank these Prog Metal Masterpieces   Rank these Prog Metal Masterpieces - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Rank these Prog Metal Masterpieces
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2