Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Rank these Prog Metal Masterpieces

Go down 
+22
SideShowDisaSter
Lovecraft
Thrasher73
MetalRob331
DeathCult
exact33
Headbanger Man
ultmetal
DakotaRogers
Eyesore
Citanul
thejokeriv
BearOnUnicycle
MetallicSeminarian
Leatherface
corplhicks
Fat Freddy
James B.
Shawn Of Fire
MetalGuy71
Temple of Blood
26 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

Rank these Prog Metal Masterpieces Empty
PostSubject: Rank these Prog Metal Masterpieces   Rank these Prog Metal Masterpieces Icon_minitimeThu Jul 24, 2014 12:07 pm

1. DREAM THEATER - Images and Words
2. FATES WARNING - Perfect Symmetry
3. CYNIC - Focus
4. WATCHTOWER - Control and Resistance
5. QUEENSRYCHE - Operation: Mindcrime
6. VOIVOD - Nothingface

(updated for my personal ranking)

Last edited by Temple of Blood on Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Rank these Prog Metal Masterpieces   Rank these Prog Metal Masterpieces Icon_minitimeThu Jul 24, 2014 12:55 pm

1. QUEENSRYCHE - Operation: Mindcrime
2. DREAM THEATER - Images and Words

Had that Watchtower album at one point, but never could get into it. Haven't heard the others. That Voivod album is on my want-list though. Someday.

Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Rank these Prog Metal Masterpieces   Rank these Prog Metal Masterpieces Icon_minitimeThu Jul 24, 2014 12:55 pm

1. FATES WARNING - Perfect Symmetry
2. QUEENSRYCHE - Operation: Mindcrime
3. DREAM THEATER - Images and Words
5. CYNIC - Focus
6. VOIVOD - Nothingface

Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: Rank these Prog Metal Masterpieces   Rank these Prog Metal Masterpieces Icon_minitimeThu Jul 24, 2014 1:24 pm

I'm surprised to see FATES so high on your list Shawn! To me musically, even taking off the vocals, that album is just written so well.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: Rank these Prog Metal Masterpieces   Rank these Prog Metal Masterpieces Icon_minitimeThu Jul 24, 2014 1:31 pm

From the list...Each band has way better albums (IMHO).
1. VOIVOD - Nothingface
2. WATCHTOWER - Control and Resistance
3. CYNIC - Focus
4. FATES WARNING - Perfect Symmetry

man, I forgot Dream Theater \'arry \'eadbanger

They'd be between Cynic and Fates Warning

Last edited by James B. on Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Rank these Prog Metal Masterpieces   Rank these Prog Metal Masterpieces Icon_minitimeThu Jul 24, 2014 1:31 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
I'm surprised to see FATES so high on your list Shawn!  To me musically, even taking off the vocals, that album is just written so well.  

I'm surprised that you're surprised...I've been a FW fan since 1991 or so...
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: Rank these Prog Metal Masterpieces   Rank these Prog Metal Masterpieces Icon_minitimeThu Jul 24, 2014 2:04 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Temple of Blood wrote:
I'm surprised to see FATES so high on your list Shawn!  To me musically, even taking off the vocals, that album is just written so well.  

I'm surprised that you're surprised...I've been a FW fan since 1991 or so...

I knew you were a big FW fan but didn't think you would put them over QR (like I do).
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: Rank these Prog Metal Masterpieces   Rank these Prog Metal Masterpieces Icon_minitimeThu Jul 24, 2014 2:05 pm

James B. wrote:

Really? Like which ones? I know CYNIC didn't have a better album.

I named the ones that were generally the most "prog" and popular.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: Rank these Prog Metal Masterpieces   Rank these Prog Metal Masterpieces Icon_minitimeThu Jul 24, 2014 2:08 pm

Queensryche - O.M.
VoiVod - Nothingface

Don't own the others. Never got into DT or FW much and tho I owned the WatchTower disc at one time I eventually traded it off cuz I never listened to it.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: Rank these Prog Metal Masterpieces   Rank these Prog Metal Masterpieces Icon_minitimeThu Jul 24, 2014 2:50 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
James B. wrote:

Really?  Like which ones?  I know CYNIC didn't have a better album.

I named the ones that were generally the most "prog" and popular.  
Maybe I should have stated , "Most of those bands" 

IMHO. "Rage For Order" is more progressive and better than "Mindcrime" But my opinion doesn't always match the majority.

I like "Awake" better than "Images And Words"

The first 3 Fates Warning are more to my liking than anything afterwards.

I'll give ya Cynic and maybe Watchtower.

"Rrroooaaarrr", "Killing Tecnology" and "Dimension Hatross" are better than "Nothingface"  Also just my opinion.

Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Rank these Prog Metal Masterpieces   Rank these Prog Metal Masterpieces Icon_minitimeThu Jul 24, 2014 2:56 pm

DT
QR
VV
FW

Haven't heard the others. As I've stated I'm somewhat of a "FW h8r" but their later prog era has really caught on to me. Symmetry is a pretty good album.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40560

PostSubject: Re: Rank these Prog Metal Masterpieces   Rank these Prog Metal Masterpieces Icon_minitimeThu Jul 24, 2014 2:57 pm

Queensryche followed by Dream Theater. I don't have nor have heard any of the others.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Rank these Prog Metal Masterpieces   Rank these Prog Metal Masterpieces Icon_minitimeThu Jul 24, 2014 3:03 pm

I'm surprised there aren't more aficionados of Images & Words. It's certainly dated and nothing close to what they did on Awake and SFAM, but even the epic Metropolis Pt. 1 has to be one of the most memorable prog metal songs released. That midsection is crazy, insane shit that branded me like a cow the first time I heard it.
Back to top Go down
Leatherface
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Leatherface

Number of posts : 19229

PostSubject: Re: Rank these Prog Metal Masterpieces   Rank these Prog Metal Masterpieces Icon_minitimeThu Jul 24, 2014 3:04 pm

Queensryche
Fates Warning
Voivod
Dream Theater
I don't have the others myself.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/rickcaudill2
MetallicSeminarian
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

Number of posts : 1698

PostSubject: Re: Rank these Prog Metal Masterpieces   Rank these Prog Metal Masterpieces Icon_minitimeThu Jul 24, 2014 3:07 pm

Only have Dream Theater and Queensryche. Of the two I'll easily take Dream Theater. I'm not much of a Ryche fan and I think O:M is of the most overrated albums on the planet.
Back to top Go down
BearOnUnicycle
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
BearOnUnicycle

Number of posts : 1064

PostSubject: Re: Rank these Prog Metal Masterpieces   Rank these Prog Metal Masterpieces Icon_minitimeThu Jul 24, 2014 3:07 pm

Not familiar enough with Voivod and Cynic, and completly forgot this Watchtower record I bought some years ago. So:

1. FW - Perfect Symmetry

2. Queensryche - OM (for Eyes of a Stranger and I Don't Believe in Love mostly. I'll take any of their "classic" albums (including Promised Land) over Mindcrime any day)
3. Dream Theatre - IaW. The band has one album I like - the debut. This one I somewhat enjoy. After that count me in as a hater.

I'd hack the thread and put Psychotic Waltz after Fates though.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40560

PostSubject: Re: Rank these Prog Metal Masterpieces   Rank these Prog Metal Masterpieces Icon_minitimeThu Jul 24, 2014 3:11 pm

And I have to say I hardly ever listen to Dream Theater. I bought that mainly on the strength of Pull Me Under (a killer song) but the rest of it is rather mundane to me. I wouldn't call me a hater of the band,they're very talented. It's just the sort of music that I don't really get into.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Rank these Prog Metal Masterpieces   Rank these Prog Metal Masterpieces Icon_minitimeThu Jul 24, 2014 3:17 pm

corplhicks wrote:
I'm surprised there aren't more aficionados of Images & Words. It's certainly dated and nothing close to what they did on Awake and SFAM, but even the epic Metropolis Pt. 1 has to be one of the most memorable prog metal songs released. That midsection is crazy, insane shit that branded me like a cow the first time I heard it.

I was a late-bloomer when it comes to DT in general. While I had heard of them, I didn't get interested until Train of Thought and have gradually been back-tracking. I only picked up Images & Words a couple of years ago. Had I been there from the beginning or got it as a new release, I might feel differently about it.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Rank these Prog Metal Masterpieces   Rank these Prog Metal Masterpieces Icon_minitimeThu Jul 24, 2014 3:49 pm

Queensryche, Fates, DT - haven't heard that Voivod in years and don't remember it. Never heard the Watchtower one.
Back to top Go down
Citanul
Metal master
Metal master
Citanul

Number of posts : 657

PostSubject: Re: Rank these Prog Metal Masterpieces   Rank these Prog Metal Masterpieces Icon_minitimeThu Jul 24, 2014 3:55 pm

1. DREAM THEATER - Images and Words
2. QUEENSRYCHE - Operation: Mindcrime
3. FATES WARNING - Perfect Symmetry

Haven't heard the others.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Rank these Prog Metal Masterpieces   Rank these Prog Metal Masterpieces Icon_minitimeThu Jul 24, 2014 3:57 pm

1. QUEENSRYCHE - Operation: Mindcrime
2. CYNIC - Focus
5. WATCHTOWER - Control and Resistance
6. VOIVOD - Nothingface

I've never heard Nothingface, or much from Voivoid that has interested me, so their spot is irrelevant on my list.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Rank these Prog Metal Masterpieces   Rank these Prog Metal Masterpieces Icon_minitimeThu Jul 24, 2014 3:59 pm

James B. wrote:
1. VOIVOD - Nothingface
2. WATCHTOWER - Control and Resistance
3. CYNIC - Focus

man, I forgot Dream Theater \'arry \'eadbanger

They'd be between Cynic and Fates Warning

Did you edit your post to point out you'd forgotten to add Dream Theater instead of just adding Dream Theater to the list?  surprised 
Back to top Go down
DakotaRogers
Metal master
Metal master
DakotaRogers

Number of posts : 920

PostSubject: Re: Rank these Prog Metal Masterpieces   Rank these Prog Metal Masterpieces Icon_minitimeThu Jul 24, 2014 4:02 pm

I can't believe most of this forum hasn't heard Watchtower or Nothingface.  Shocked 

1. Voivod- Nothingface
2. Watchtower- Control and Resistance
3. Cynic- Focus
4. Queensryche- Operation: Mindcrime
5. Fates Warning- Perfect Symmetry
6. Dream Theater- Images and Words

Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: Rank these Prog Metal Masterpieces   Rank these Prog Metal Masterpieces Icon_minitimeThu Jul 24, 2014 4:08 pm

BearOnUnicycle wrote:

I debated putting PSYCHOTIC WALTZ and others like DEPRESSIVE AGE on there but on a board where people haven't heard VOIVOD and WATCHTOWER ... what's the point?
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Rank these Prog Metal Masterpieces   Rank these Prog Metal Masterpieces Icon_minitimeThu Jul 24, 2014 4:20 pm

1. VOIVOD - Nothingface
2. FATES WARNING - Perfect Symmetry
5. CYNIC - Focus
6. QUEENSRYCHE - Operation: Mindcrime (Never was a big fan of this one.)

Top 4 could easily switch positions on any given day of the week, depending on which one I'm more into at the time. Haha! Never was a big fan of Operation: Mindcrime. I much prefer Rage for Order or The Warning.

Temple of Blood wrote:
BearOnUnicycle wrote:

I debated putting PSYCHOTIC WALTZ and others like DEPRESSIVE AGE on there but on a board where people haven't heard VOIVOD and WATCHTOWER ... what's the point?

And I love Psychotic Waltz and dig Depressive Age as well.

PostSubject: Re: Rank these Prog Metal Masterpieces   Rank these Prog Metal Masterpieces Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Rank these Prog Metal Masterpieces
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next