Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Unlocking the Truth sign a million dollar contract with Sony

Go down 
+16
Required Fields
Gilbert
Lovecraft
Boris2008
Glower
corplhicks
mr.electric39
MetalGuy71
manny
Eyesore
mc666
ultmetal
James B.
Fat Freddy
Shawn Of Fire
deathisgain
20 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

Unlocking the Truth sign a million dollar contract with Sony - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Unlocking the Truth sign a million dollar contract with Sony   Unlocking the Truth sign a million dollar contract with Sony - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 25, 2014 6:27 pm

Woah.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37557

PostSubject: Re: Unlocking the Truth sign a million dollar contract with Sony   Unlocking the Truth sign a million dollar contract with Sony - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 25, 2014 6:38 pm

Daaaaaaamn. OK, cancel that comeback.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Unlocking the Truth sign a million dollar contract with Sony   Unlocking the Truth sign a million dollar contract with Sony - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 25, 2014 7:00 pm

That's seriously the most tragic series of deaths in the family that I've ever heard of. My day has nearly been ruined from reading that. Shit.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Unlocking the Truth sign a million dollar contract with Sony   Unlocking the Truth sign a million dollar contract with Sony - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 25, 2014 9:05 pm

I hereby dub Shawn of Fire "Captain Bring-Down!"

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Unlocking the Truth sign a million dollar contract with Sony   Unlocking the Truth sign a million dollar contract with Sony - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 25, 2014 9:10 pm

F**kin' hell that was depressing!!!
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Unlocking the Truth sign a million dollar contract with Sony   Unlocking the Truth sign a million dollar contract with Sony - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 28, 2014 12:57 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
corplhicks wrote:
Surely this can't be the first time something like this has happened?

How'bout "Old Skull," the late 80s punk band made up of grade-school kids?

I always wondered what happened to these kids. Shoot, they're probably still young enough to mount a comeback Laughing very hard

Wow. That is f*cking HORRIBLE!  lol! 
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9853

PostSubject: Re: Unlocking the Truth sign a million dollar contract with Sony   Unlocking the Truth sign a million dollar contract with Sony - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 29, 2014 2:17 am

name sounds horrible for a band. never heard of them.
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28367

PostSubject: Re: Unlocking the Truth sign a million dollar contract with Sony   Unlocking the Truth sign a million dollar contract with Sony - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 29, 2014 2:53 am

Eyesore wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:
corplhicks wrote:
Surely this can't be the first time something like this has happened?

How'bout "Old Skull," the late 80s punk band made up of grade-school kids?

I always wondered what happened to these kids. Shoot, they're probably still young enough to mount a comeback Laughing very hard

Wow. That is f*cking HORRIBLE!  lol! 

Very much so.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
mr.electric39
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mr.electric39

Number of posts : 1828

PostSubject: Re: Unlocking the Truth sign a million dollar contract with Sony   Unlocking the Truth sign a million dollar contract with Sony - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 29, 2014 11:30 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
I hereby dub Shawn of Fire "Captain Bring-Down!"

agreed.....! lol...

But seriously.... that is beyond tragic for any family.....
Back to top Go down
http://www.whitethronereviews.blogspot.com
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28367

PostSubject: Re: Unlocking the Truth sign a million dollar contract with Sony   Unlocking the Truth sign a million dollar contract with Sony - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 30, 2014 4:46 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
I really want to root for these kids, but they'll never sell 250,000 copies of their debut album. They'll get chewed up & spit out by this time next year.

That's another reason to support the statistics to count digital sales along with physical sales.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
Metal Misfit
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

Number of posts : 3282

PostSubject: Re: Unlocking the Truth sign a million dollar contract with Sony   Unlocking the Truth sign a million dollar contract with Sony - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 03, 2014 12:45 pm

Wow. There's very few rock bands that can sell 250k copies these days. That's an extremely unrealistic hope for a new band (and for a veteran band as well).
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Unlocking the Truth sign a million dollar contract with Sony   Unlocking the Truth sign a million dollar contract with Sony - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 16, 2015 9:59 am

Looks like these kids (or at least, whoever is handling their business affairs) wised up cuz they're in the process of getting out of their "deal" with Sony...without releasing a note of music.

Blabbermouth wrote:
According to Billboard.com, UNLOCKING THE TRUTH — the heavy metal band from Flatbush, Brooklyn made up of three African-American boys, guitarist Malcolm Brickhouse, bassist Alec Atkins and drummer Jarad Dawkins — is severing ties with Sony, less than a year after signing with the major label.

"Our attorneys are working on our exit from Sony now," Malcolm Brickhouse said at the world premiere of "Breaking A Monster", a documentary about the band's rise to success.

UNLOCKING THE TRUTH manager Alan Sacks confirmed to Billboard.com the group was in the process of leaving Sony.

The members of UNLOCKING THE TRUTH famously got permission from a New York judge last July to sign the Sony deal. The musicians needed the judge's approval because they are minors.

UNLOCKING THE TRUTH last summer recorded its first single, "Monster", but the song has yet to be released.

As part of its guaranteed two-album deal with Sony, UNLOCKING THE TRUTH was reportedly due to receive $60,000 to record the first disc and possibly as much as $325,000 for the second CD. Sony reportedly had an option to release a total of five albums from UNLOCKING THE TRUTH that could have pushed the label's financial investment to around $1.7 million ($325,000 for the second album, $400,000 for the third, $450,000 for the fourth and $550,000 for the fifth). It should be noted, however, that the band was only supposed to see the real money after an initial $60,000 advance if their debut album sold more than 250,000 copies, a prospect that seemed highly unlikely in an age of diminishing record sales.

Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Unlocking the Truth sign a million dollar contract with Sony   Unlocking the Truth sign a million dollar contract with Sony - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 16, 2015 10:13 am

Quote :
"Our attorneys are working on our exit from Sony now," Malcolm Brickhouse said at the world premiere of "Breaking A Monster"

How does that work exactly? Is this something that will keep them tied in legal red-tape till the end of time? Sounds like quite a mess to me.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Unlocking the Truth sign a million dollar contract with Sony   Unlocking the Truth sign a million dollar contract with Sony - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 16, 2015 10:55 am

Quote :
How does that work exactly? Is this something that will keep them tied in legal red-tape till the end of time? Sounds like quite a mess to me.

Depends on who initiated the "break" - them or Sony. Maybe the novelty wore off, or maybe someone at Sony finally listened to their music and said "Y'know what? These kids are actually kinda terrible, maybe we'd better bail out now."

Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Unlocking the Truth sign a million dollar contract with Sony   Unlocking the Truth sign a million dollar contract with Sony - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 16, 2015 11:11 am

Yea, I guess so. Sounds to me like the band is trying to get out of the deal. So I guess it depends on how badly Sony wants to hold them to it or just lets them go.

Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7606

PostSubject: Re: Unlocking the Truth sign a million dollar contract with Sony   Unlocking the Truth sign a million dollar contract with Sony - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 16, 2015 11:19 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Quote :
"Our attorneys are working on our exit from Sony now," Malcolm Brickhouse said at the world premiere of "Breaking A Monster"

I don't know the particulars here, but contracts with minors are usually voidable at the discretion of the minor - meaning that the minor can walk away from the contract whenever they want.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Unlocking the Truth sign a million dollar contract with Sony   Unlocking the Truth sign a million dollar contract with Sony - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 16, 2015 11:25 am

I'm sure that'll play a big part of it.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Unlocking the Truth sign a million dollar contract with Sony   Unlocking the Truth sign a million dollar contract with Sony - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 17, 2015 3:07 am

Back to the basement where they belong for another five years.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17044

PostSubject: Re: Unlocking the Truth sign a million dollar contract with Sony   Unlocking the Truth sign a million dollar contract with Sony - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 17, 2015 10:11 am

I don't even know why they were signed to begin with... there's so many other bands out there that are better and deserve to be signed.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Unlocking the Truth sign a million dollar contract with Sony   Unlocking the Truth sign a million dollar contract with Sony - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 17, 2015 11:10 am

Quote :
I don't even know why they were signed to begin with...

They have a good "gimmick"... and major labels love gimmicks...

Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Unlocking the Truth sign a million dollar contract with Sony   Unlocking the Truth sign a million dollar contract with Sony - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 17, 2015 2:20 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Quote :
I don't even know why they were signed to begin with...

They have a good "gimmick"... and major labels love gimmicks...

Unlocking the Truth sign a million dollar contract with Sony - Page 2 Nf81.55d33f_16bcdbf11b0e448e82e20ce32ee93e2c_png_srz_784_440_75_22_0_5_1_2_75_png_srz_png

"Three black kids, think 'Urkel' that, get this, play heavy metal!! We can't lose!! We'll make millions!! Pass the coke!!"

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Unlocking the Truth sign a million dollar contract with Sony   Unlocking the Truth sign a million dollar contract with Sony - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 17, 2015 2:27 pm

Quote :
"Three black kids, think 'Urkel' that, get this, play heavy metal!! We can't lose!! We'll make millions!! Pass the coke!!"

Yup, that's pretty much it... Laughing very hard

Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Unlocking the Truth sign a million dollar contract with Sony   Unlocking the Truth sign a million dollar contract with Sony - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 05, 2016 9:28 pm

I was just watching Nickelodeon with my kid and Unlocking The Truth randomly turned up in a commercial for Air Heads candy:

Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Unlocking the Truth sign a million dollar contract with Sony   Unlocking the Truth sign a million dollar contract with Sony - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 07, 2016 11:59 am

Well, at the very least, it would seem they're still together and making music after the dust has settled. That's good(?), I guess.

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Unlocking the Truth sign a million dollar contract with Sony   Unlocking the Truth sign a million dollar contract with Sony - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 29, 2016 4:24 pm

So their album is finally going to be released June 17th...

Quote :
UNLOCKING THE TRUTH — the heavy metal band from Flatbush, Brooklyn made up of three African-American boys, guitarist/vocalist Malcolm Brickhouse, bassist Alec Atkins and drummer Jarad Dawkins — will release its full-length debut album, "Chaos", on June 17 via premier independent music distributor Tunecore. The set was produced by Johnny K (MEGADETH, POP EVIL, DISTURBED) and captures the young band's explosive live energy, resulting in a tight, powerfully heavy yet melodic full-length offering.

Of "Chaos", Brickhouse commented: "We can't wait for everyone to hear our album. We've worked very hard to give the fans something they'll love and never forget. We hope they are able to relate to the songs the way that we do and have the time of their lives listening to them. We know that this album will blow you guys away."

Looks like they ditched the "Urkel-look" in favor of something more metal too...
Unlocking the Truth sign a million dollar contract with Sony - Page 2 Unlockingthetruth2016_638

PostSubject: Re: Unlocking the Truth sign a million dollar contract with Sony   Unlocking the Truth sign a million dollar contract with Sony - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Unlocking the Truth sign a million dollar contract with Sony
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next