Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Century Media is sold to Sony for $20 million

Go down 
+14
Fat Freddy
exact33
the sentinel
Thelemech
Hadley
martinsane
manny
Eyesore
Required Fields
MetalGuy71
tohostudios
GrandNational
Boris2008
Witchfinder
18 posters
AuthorMessage

Century Media is sold to Sony for $20 million Empty
PostSubject: Century Media is sold to Sony for $20 million   Century Media is sold to Sony for $20 million Icon_minitimeTue Aug 25, 2015 9:09 pm

Another day, another indie label swallowed up by a corporate behemoth. Let's hope the inevitable "restructuring" doesn't happen immediately.

Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7608

PostSubject: Re: Century Media is sold to Sony for $20 million   Century Media is sold to Sony for $20 million Icon_minitimeTue Aug 25, 2015 9:12 pm

Century Media has sucked for years, but it's too bad another metal label is gone.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Century Media is sold to Sony for $20 million   Century Media is sold to Sony for $20 million Icon_minitimeTue Aug 25, 2015 9:36 pm

I can't imagine the bands on I used to F*ck People Like You in Prison Records (an independently run punk label owned by Century) are going to be too impressed at this deal. Or Tom Fischer for that matter (He despises major labels after his experience with Noise Records) 

Sad day Sad
Back to top Go down
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

PostSubject: Re: Century Media is sold to Sony for $20 million   Century Media is sold to Sony for $20 million Icon_minitimeTue Aug 25, 2015 10:23 pm

They were a great label back in the day, but considering the way the music business has been over the last decade plus, it's not too surprising. Plus, if it was your business and the guy with the millions came to buy you off, you'd probably do it too. I would.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Century Media is sold to Sony for $20 million   Century Media is sold to Sony for $20 million Icon_minitimeTue Aug 25, 2015 10:28 pm

GrandNational wrote:
They were a great label back in the day, but considering the way the music business has been over the last decade plus, it's not too surprising. Plus, if it was your business and the guy with the millions came to buy you off, you'd probably do it too. I would.

Great point. Given the state of the music industry these days, if I'd invested all my money (not to mention intangibles like heart and soul) into my label and a mega-conglomerate came calling offering me millions? I'd fold in a heartbeat.

Metal is Forever
Boris2008

PostSubject: Re: Century Media is sold to Sony for $20 million   Century Media is sold to Sony for $20 million Icon_minitimeTue Aug 25, 2015 10:43 pm

GrandNational wrote:

He's staying on as CEO too.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Century Media is sold to Sony for $20 million   Century Media is sold to Sony for $20 million Icon_minitimeWed Aug 26, 2015 10:05 am

Boris2008 wrote:
GrandNational wrote:

He's staying on as CEO too.

Big payout and a CEO gig? Who's gonna say "no" to that? Razz

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28411

PostSubject: Re: Century Media is sold to Sony for $20 million   Century Media is sold to Sony for $20 million Icon_minitimeWed Aug 26, 2015 11:23 am

I wonder if the label will now take the Roadrunner path. Roadrunner went from having Heathen, Exhorder, Suffocation, and Gorguts on their roster to Nickelback and third tier nu-metal bands.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Century Media is sold to Sony for $20 million   Century Media is sold to Sony for $20 million Icon_minitimeWed Aug 26, 2015 12:40 pm

Required Fields wrote:
I wonder if the label will now take the Roadrunner path. Roadrunner went from having Heathen, Exhorder, Suffocation, and Gorguts on their roster to Nickelback and third tier nu-metal bands.

Roadrunner always had those kinds of bands.

Anyway, they are still a fantastic label. My worry is that a lot of their bands will be ditched in the merge. I think it's probably a given, though, that some more mainstream bands will be signed to in the future.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Century Media is sold to Sony for $20 million   Century Media is sold to Sony for $20 million Icon_minitimeWed Aug 26, 2015 12:57 pm

Eyesore wrote:
My worry is that a lot of their  bands will be ditched in the merge. I think it's probably a given, though, that some more mainstream bands will be signed to in the future.

Yup. Visit the current roster of bands, see who is profitable or has marketing potential and then cut accordingly.

Hooray for big business!! Rolling Eyes

PostSubject: Re: Century Media is sold to Sony for $20 million   Century Media is sold to Sony for $20 million Icon_minitimeWed Aug 26, 2015 1:27 pm

Roadrunner also has Rush and Opeth on their roster. However, both artists have distribution only arrangements with Roadrunner, so the bands own all their material and masters and Roadrunner just handles physical distribution.

Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Century Media is sold to Sony for $20 million   Century Media is sold to Sony for $20 million Icon_minitimeWed Aug 26, 2015 9:21 pm

S.D. wrote:
Roadrunner also has Rush and Opeth on their roster.  However, both artists have distribution only arrangements with Roadrunner, so the bands own all their material and masters and Roadrunner just handles physical distribution.  

Those are the same deals that AC/DC, Aerosmith, KISS and the Rolling Stones have in place with their various labels
Back to top Go down
martinsane
Metal master
Metal master
martinsane

Number of posts : 924

PostSubject: Re: Century Media is sold to Sony for $20 million   Century Media is sold to Sony for $20 million Icon_minitimeFri Aug 28, 2015 4:49 am

I think the deal was a good one and I certainly wouldn't have hesitated with the state of the music industry what it is today.

I find it interesting with the way the internet and digital mediums are so prevalent that record labels are even necessary. I suspect for distro purposes, but again the internet is a great place to do this. Tons of self released stuff flooding the market, I find myself buying far more direct from the artist cd's than record store or major label. Can't think of many bands that I would care about on a "major" label anyways.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

PostSubject: Re: Century Media is sold to Sony for $20 million   Century Media is sold to Sony for $20 million Icon_minitimeFri Aug 28, 2015 10:30 am

manny wrote:
S.D. wrote:
Roadrunner also has Rush and Opeth on their roster.  However, both artists have distribution only arrangements with Roadrunner, so the bands own all their material and masters and Roadrunner just handles physical distribution.  

Those are the same deals that AC/DC, Aerosmith, KISS and the Rolling Stones have in place with their various labels

Come to think of it, I think Triptykon have that kind of a deal with Century. Tom has Prowling Death Records and then Century do the distro (I think)
Back to top Go down
Hadley
Metal master
Metal master

Number of posts : 991

PostSubject: Re: Century Media is sold to Sony for $20 million   Century Media is sold to Sony for $20 million Icon_minitimeFri Aug 28, 2015 10:50 pm

I just hope Nuclear Blast doesnt suffer the same fate (though it would be nice to see NB releases in the wal-marts and best buys of the world).
Back to top Go down
Thelemech
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Thelemech

Number of posts : 4009

PostSubject: Re: Century Media is sold to Sony for $20 million   Century Media is sold to Sony for $20 million Icon_minitimeFri Aug 28, 2015 10:58 pm

This could be and I stress could be good for some of the bands at least distribution wise. CM have a good back catalog I believe that might see a bigger audience due to this.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: Century Media is sold to Sony for $20 million   Century Media is sold to Sony for $20 million Icon_minitimeSat Aug 29, 2015 2:10 pm

I saw this on another forum but didn't know about the former owner staying on as CEO. I certainly would have done what he did, but I don't know if I could stay on and possibly watch big business bastardize my creation. I give him props for that.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

PostSubject: Re: Century Media is sold to Sony for $20 million   Century Media is sold to Sony for $20 million Icon_minitimeSun Aug 30, 2015 2:54 pm

to me CM had its heyday a long time ago.

Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37625

PostSubject: Re: Century Media is sold to Sony for $20 million   Century Media is sold to Sony for $20 million Icon_minitimeMon Aug 31, 2015 10:23 am

In the late 90s/early 00s I listened to a lot of stuff on the Century Media label, but I barely know who's on their roster anymore.

Off the top of my head the only "current" CM bands I can think of are Queensryche, Iced Earth, Lacuna Coil and Nevermore (if they still exist?)/Sanctuary.

Most of the other CM bands I followed back then - Radakka, Blind Guardian, Angel Dust, Enola Gay, Jag Panzer, Tad Morose, Onward, etc. - have either broken up or moved on to other companies.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39466

PostSubject: Re: Century Media is sold to Sony for $20 million   Century Media is sold to Sony for $20 million Icon_minitimeMon Aug 31, 2015 10:36 am

Yeah it's a label that had better days (at least for me) but it will be a shame to see it go (if indeed it does go).
Back to top Go down
Grimmo
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Grimmo

Number of posts : 413

PostSubject: Re: Century Media is sold to Sony for $20 million   Century Media is sold to Sony for $20 million Icon_minitimeFri Sep 04, 2015 5:59 am

Heck, that's big news. Napalm Death are also currently on CM.
Back to top Go down
http://waynegrimsey.blogspot.com/
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17064

PostSubject: Re: Century Media is sold to Sony for $20 million   Century Media is sold to Sony for $20 million Icon_minitimeFri Sep 04, 2015 6:06 am

If Nevermore ever reforms, I doubt they will be back at CM. They were one of the few bands that had been on the label for the entire duration of their career. I think they'll get picked up by Nuclear Blast.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

PostSubject: Re: Century Media is sold to Sony for $20 million   Century Media is sold to Sony for $20 million Icon_minitimeSat Sep 05, 2015 7:34 am

Troublezone wrote:
If Nevermore ever reforms, I doubt they will be back at CM. They were one of the few bands that had been on the label for the entire duration of their career. I think they'll get picked up by Nuclear Blast.

Nuclear blast seems to the destination of choice now. Metal Blade, CM, Roadrunner are all former shells of themselves.

stormspell
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stormspell

Number of posts : 1593

PostSubject: Re: Century Media is sold to Sony for $20 million   Century Media is sold to Sony for $20 million Icon_minitimeSun Sep 06, 2015 6:35 am

I don't understand why people would still consider Century Media and Nuclear Blast "indy" labels. They were indy labels 25 years ago, but nowadays CM was arguably the biggest metal label in USA with major physical distribution and the only US metal magazine (DECIBEL) dedicating half of its contents to their releases and advertising...
Back to top Go down
http://www.cdbaby.com/all/stormspell
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28411

PostSubject: Re: Century Media is sold to Sony for $20 million   Century Media is sold to Sony for $20 million Icon_minitimeWed Mar 02, 2016 7:53 pm

Eyesore wrote:
Required Fields wrote:

Roadrunner always had those kinds of bands.

Well, they didn't have too many...I'm drawing a blank as to whom their equivalent to Nickelback and the KoRn wannabes on the label in the late 1990s/2000s were before that point.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Century Media is sold to Sony for $20 million   Century Media is sold to Sony for $20 million Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Century Media is sold to Sony for $20 million
Page 1 of 1