Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Best Buy / Walmart / Amazon / etc, five dollar cds

Go down 
+16
Hadley
brokentulsa
QuothTheRaven
jstate
Gryphon-kl
Temple of Blood
Troublezone
Leatherface
mikeinfla
A Handful of Wayne
Required Fields
ultmetal
Dark Horseman
Fat Freddy
MetalGuy71
Tur-Thalion
20 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Tur-Thalion
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Tur-Thalion

Number of posts : 350

Best Buy / Walmart / Amazon / etc, five dollar cds Empty
PostSubject: Best Buy / Walmart / Amazon / etc, five dollar cds   Best Buy / Walmart / Amazon / etc, five dollar cds Icon_minitimeFri Jun 15, 2012 12:05 pm

I did a few searches and didn't find a topic on this, if there already is one, feel free to close it.

So I know the end of cds will be upon us soon, but at the moment I'm pretty stoked about the crazy sales I'm seeing everywhere, because I can buy way more music than in the past and am filling some gaps in my collection quite nicely.

What are some of the good classic rock / metal bands you've seen whose cds are now consistently marked down to 5.00 everywhere?

Rush (most, but not all, of their catalog) is now down to 5.00
Black Sabbath (picked up Volume 4 and Mob Rules at Best Buy for 5.00)
Yes (90125, anyway...I didn't see any of their other stuff when I was last at Best Buy)

Van Halen seems to be at the 6.99 category rather than 5.00.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Best Buy / Walmart / Amazon / etc, five dollar cds   Best Buy / Walmart / Amazon / etc, five dollar cds Icon_minitimeFri Jun 15, 2012 12:18 pm

Recently at the local Best Buy, I saw a few Scorpions cds for $4.99. And the majority of their other stock was $9.99 or less.

I'm assuming Best Buy is doing this to get rid of their existing stock and eventually do away with compact disc sales altogether.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37625

PostSubject: Re: Best Buy / Walmart / Amazon / etc, five dollar cds   Best Buy / Walmart / Amazon / etc, five dollar cds Icon_minitimeFri Jun 15, 2012 12:20 pm

I recently scarfed a copy of Aerosmith's debut at Best Buy for 4.99.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Tur-Thalion
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Tur-Thalion

PostSubject: Re: Best Buy / Walmart / Amazon / etc, five dollar cds   Best Buy / Walmart / Amazon / etc, five dollar cds Icon_minitimeFri Jun 15, 2012 12:45 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Recently at the local Best Buy, I saw a few Scorpions cds for $4.99. And the majority of their other stock was $9.99 or less.

I'm assuming Best Buy is doing this to get rid of their existing stock and eventually do away with compact disc sales altogether.

I initially thought this too, but the same is going on at Walmart and Amazon.com, which makes me wonder if the markdown is at the level of record company or distributor?
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: Best Buy / Walmart / Amazon / etc, five dollar cds   Best Buy / Walmart / Amazon / etc, five dollar cds Icon_minitimeFri Jun 15, 2012 12:45 pm

Wal Mart has quite a few of the hair bands for 5-7 bucks. I don't know it it's to dump stock, they've shrank to about a quarter of what they used to carry.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Best Buy / Walmart / Amazon / etc, five dollar cds   Best Buy / Walmart / Amazon / etc, five dollar cds Icon_minitimeFri Jun 15, 2012 12:56 pm

I've snagged a few $5 CDs from WalMart in the past year or so.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28414

PostSubject: Re: Best Buy / Walmart / Amazon / etc, five dollar cds   Best Buy / Walmart / Amazon / etc, five dollar cds Icon_minitimeFri Jun 15, 2012 1:50 pm

I've seen a number of albums for these prices at Future Shop. I didn't buy any of them, though.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Best Buy / Walmart / Amazon / etc, five dollar cds   Best Buy / Walmart / Amazon / etc, five dollar cds Icon_minitimeFri Jun 15, 2012 1:52 pm

Tur-Thalion wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:

I initially thought this too, but the same is going on at Walmart and Amazon.com, which makes me wonder if the markdown is at the level of record company or distributor?

Yea, it's just speculation on my part. It's been awhile since I've actively browsed around in a Best Buy. If I go in at all, it's usually "get-it and get-out". But I've noticed that their music sections have been getting smaller and smaller with less and less selection. Putting 2 & 2 together, I just assumed they're lowering prices to move things out, eventually eliminating the format altogether.

But who knows? Maybe the record companines are starting to wise up and realize that people are no longer willing to pay $18 for an album that's been out for 25 years now.

Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Tur-Thalion

PostSubject: Re: Best Buy / Walmart / Amazon / etc, five dollar cds   Best Buy / Walmart / Amazon / etc, five dollar cds Icon_minitimeFri Jun 15, 2012 2:27 pm

Yeah the music sections have shrunk like crazy. What I thought really strange the last time I visited was that the discount section with 5.00 and 7.00 cds, was about the same size as the full-price music section. Definitely on the way out, which does suck, but I do enjoy paying a reasonable price for new cds for once.
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

PostSubject: Re: Best Buy / Walmart / Amazon / etc, five dollar cds   Best Buy / Walmart / Amazon / etc, five dollar cds Icon_minitimeFri Jun 15, 2012 2:36 pm

I dont know.. Best Buy is weird. Yea they used to have a pretty decent music section, but maybe they are just going to focus on selling the newer titles and not so much the older stuff. I personally wouldn't mind that because the chances of Best Buy having anything rare or imported is not even a question. So if they just sell the new stuff thats fine cause sometimes I'll browse even knowing there isn't anything there. If they just have the new stuff then I'll be in and out.

I went to a different Best Buy than I usually go to this week to pick up the new Rush and their section is even smaller than the one I usually go to. Basically 1 rack for the Rock 1 rack for Rap and 1 rack for Country and I think 1 for those cheap cds or records, box sets (the very few they have).

I've pretty much given up going to music stores. Whats the sense? The mom and pop shops are still charging $15-$18 a cd and the chances of me coming out with a new cd is slim unless I see something that I forgot was coming out. I'm usually searching in the used sections. online has saved me from wasting money on gas and usually I'll find it cheaper anyway. I miss the stores but with so few and none really close by I don't have a choice. When I go away to Maine in a few weeks I will be stopping at BullMoose though Laughing I already warned my gf, she wasn't too happy but its my vacation too. Very Happy

Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: Best Buy / Walmart / Amazon / etc, five dollar cds   Best Buy / Walmart / Amazon / etc, five dollar cds Icon_minitimeFri Jun 15, 2012 2:47 pm

The Best Buy nearest me has one and half short rows of non country or rap.

About the only places I go now have used stuff.
Back to top Go down
mikeinfla
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mikeinfla

Number of posts : 2477

PostSubject: Re: Best Buy / Walmart / Amazon / etc, five dollar cds   Best Buy / Walmart / Amazon / etc, five dollar cds Icon_minitimeFri Jun 15, 2012 6:49 pm

I have seen and picked up the following in a 5 dollar bin:

Most of the Extended Versions CDs
Cinderella (some generic looking CD that said "new studio recordings of their biggest hits in a sideways digipack)
Tom Petty - Full Moon Fever
Black Sab - Mob Rules
Styx - Grand Illusion
Journey - Frontiers, Escape, Infinity, Departure, Evolution and Captured (a STEAL at 5 bucks)
Asia
Van Halen II, Diver Down, W&CF, Fair Warning
John Mellancamp - Uh Huh! remastered version with bonus Pink Houses

and a few others I forget. They are not in any particular order they are just thrown in there.

Also, right now iTunes has some great deals on classic rock albums for 7.99. I recently bought The Cars Complete Greatest Hits with 20 songs, all of the good ones, no filler. Also picked up several tracks under "Father's Day" for 69 cents including:

Deep Purple - Smoke On The Water
Manfred Mann - Blinded By The Light
Kenny W Shepherd - Blue On Black

and several others I have forgotten but at 69 cents a track thats not bad.
Back to top Go down
Leatherface
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Leatherface

Number of posts : 18903

PostSubject: Re: Best Buy / Walmart / Amazon / etc, five dollar cds   Best Buy / Walmart / Amazon / etc, five dollar cds Icon_minitimeFri Jun 15, 2012 7:26 pm

I picked up Black Sabbath's Paranoid for $5 recently at my Walmart.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/rickcaudill2
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17064

PostSubject: Re: Best Buy / Walmart / Amazon / etc, five dollar cds   Best Buy / Walmart / Amazon / etc, five dollar cds Icon_minitimeFri Jun 15, 2012 7:31 pm

How can you tell if there's a shortage of CDs at amazon?
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

PostSubject: Re: Best Buy / Walmart / Amazon / etc, five dollar cds   Best Buy / Walmart / Amazon / etc, five dollar cds Icon_minitimeFri Jun 15, 2012 7:52 pm

Troublezone wrote:

They usually send out a email saying "cd shortage sale"

Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5702

PostSubject: Re: Best Buy / Walmart / Amazon / etc, five dollar cds   Best Buy / Walmart / Amazon / etc, five dollar cds Icon_minitimeFri Jun 15, 2012 7:59 pm

BLACK SABBATH - Mob Rules
Back to top Go down
Gryphon-kl
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal

Number of posts : 1346

PostSubject: Re: Best Buy / Walmart / Amazon / etc, five dollar cds   Best Buy / Walmart / Amazon / etc, five dollar cds Icon_minitimeSat Jun 16, 2012 2:45 am

At the nearest Best Buy:
Scorpions: Blackout
Skid Row: s/t

I think it's mostly a matter of stores that don't really have a cd focus cutting back due to inability to compete with things like Amazon and iTunes.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17064

PostSubject: Re: Best Buy / Walmart / Amazon / etc, five dollar cds   Best Buy / Walmart / Amazon / etc, five dollar cds Icon_minitimeSat Jun 16, 2012 3:02 am

Phoenix Reign Drummer wrote:
Troublezone wrote:

Haven't come across that yet.
Back to top Go down
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: Best Buy / Walmart / Amazon / etc, five dollar cds   Best Buy / Walmart / Amazon / etc, five dollar cds Icon_minitimeSat Jun 16, 2012 9:25 am

If you have an actual Hastings store near you, they have the usual five dollar bin fodder for 3.99.

I noticed that a lot of the new metal releases at Best Buy were priced 9.99. Couldn't find the new Saint Vitus though. Was very tempted to pick up Municipal Waste.
Back to top Go down
QuothTheRaven
Metal master
Metal master
QuothTheRaven

Number of posts : 874

PostSubject: Re: Best Buy / Walmart / Amazon / etc, five dollar cds   Best Buy / Walmart / Amazon / etc, five dollar cds Icon_minitimeSat Jun 16, 2012 9:32 am

I have taken advantage of the $5 bins too:

KISS 70s catalog that I didn't already have
Journey, ditto (I agree with mikeinfla, Captured was a steal!)
Styx - Grand Illusion, Pieces of Eight
Nazareth - Hair of the Dog
Black Sabbath - Vol. 4
Skid Row - S/T

Back to top Go down
brokentulsa
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
brokentulsa

Number of posts : 1779

PostSubject: Re: Best Buy / Walmart / Amazon / etc, five dollar cds   Best Buy / Walmart / Amazon / etc, five dollar cds Icon_minitimeSat Jun 16, 2012 11:43 am

I have found alot of titles at a local music store (Hastings) in the $3.99 bin....

Y&T...Ten
Scorpions...Blackout
Motley Crue...Theater of Pain
Ratt...Invasion of your privacy
Fastway....S/T
Anvil....Hard N Heavy
Saxon...Wheels of Steel
Back to top Go down
Hadley
Metal master
Metal master

Number of posts : 991

PostSubject: Re: Best Buy / Walmart / Amazon / etc, five dollar cds   Best Buy / Walmart / Amazon / etc, five dollar cds Icon_minitimeSun Jun 17, 2012 2:19 pm

I liked it better when the bargain bins had more obscure stuff, ie all the second-tier late 80s/early 90s metal acts. Now its pretty much either greatest hits albums or stuff everyone pretty much has already.
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

PostSubject: Re: Best Buy / Walmart / Amazon / etc, five dollar cds   Best Buy / Walmart / Amazon / etc, five dollar cds Icon_minitimeSun Jun 17, 2012 9:32 pm

Troublezone wrote:
Phoenix Reign Drummer wrote:
Troublezone wrote:

Haven't come across that yet.

lol! thats cause they don't send one. I was just kidding Razz

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stormspell

Number of posts : 1593

PostSubject: Re: Best Buy / Walmart / Amazon / etc, five dollar cds   Best Buy / Walmart / Amazon / etc, five dollar cds Icon_minitimeSun Jun 17, 2012 10:30 pm

Until the end of the month a lot of Stormspell titles are on sale at $5.00 too:

http://stormspell.bigcartel.com/

/end of shameless promotion Embarassed
Back to top Go down
http://www.cdbaby.com/all/stormspell
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9875

PostSubject: Re: Best Buy / Walmart / Amazon / etc, five dollar cds   Best Buy / Walmart / Amazon / etc, five dollar cds Icon_minitimeMon Jun 18, 2012 12:58 am

The CDs around here are still sold around 20$ or a but less.

If you're talking about a special edition, then it's around USD 30.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Best Buy / Walmart / Amazon / etc, five dollar cds   Best Buy / Walmart / Amazon / etc, five dollar cds Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Best Buy / Walmart / Amazon / etc, five dollar cds
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next