Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Metal Magazines

Go down 
+20
manny
corplhicks
Sword Of The Heretic
bgsully
Getizzyback
Red Kitty
DakotaRogers
ultmetal
ze_mau
Short-Fuse
jstate
thejokeriv
Fat Freddy
Temple of Blood
Leatherface
mikeinfla
mc666
Witchfinder
Hadley
24 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

Metal Magazines - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Metal Magazines   Metal Magazines - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 18, 2014 3:17 pm

Getizzyback wrote:
Back in the 80s I bought Hit Parader and Circus (all I could find in south FL)

I used to enjoy the cheesy mail section in Hit Parader. The letters basically did nothing but either Praise a group or trash the heck out of another.....I will always remember one letter about Krokus.
(I didn't like or dislike them at all, just funny how it was said) It read something like this: "Now I know why the guys in Krokus call themselves Krokus, because when we hear their music they croak us".....lol.....I miss those days.....

Hit Parade would make me laugh, a band would have an album that was being readied for release or they were still recording, but the article would also state, 'With (place artists name ) racing up the charts...' and the album had not even been released yet!!
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7632

PostSubject: Re: Metal Magazines   Metal Magazines - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 18, 2014 3:25 pm

manny wrote:
Back in the day, the ususal mags: Hit Parader, Circus, Metal Edge, Creem Metal, RIP, Faces, Guitar World, Guitar for the Practicing Musician aand Kerrange

Used to have ten and more years worth of these mags, but one day just got rid of all them.

Never heard of Snakepit magazine

Snakepit is a magazine that comes out infrequently and focuses on NWOBHM, Thrash, Traditional/Heavy Metal, etc... It really concentrates on in depth interviews with more underground bands. For instance, they have had giant features on Hawaii, Cities, Breaker (Canada), Tygers of Pan Tang, Virgin Steele and tons of others. The magazine usually comes with a 7" or 12" record from one of the bands in the issue. Also, the reviews are pure hilarity because the editor/head writer does not sugarcoat his opinions at all. There is further hilarity because the head guy - Laurent - is French and his English can get rather mangled at times. If you aren't into those types of bands, it's not really worth it. They won't be covering any well known bands or anything trendy, that's for sure.

If you like that style of music you can get copies from Nuclear War Now Productions or Shadow Kingdom Records.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Metal Magazines   Metal Magazines - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 18, 2014 3:45 pm

I agree with Laurent from Snakepit sometimes but the way he slammed ARTILLERY's "BACK" album was just ridiculous. Yeah, it was more modern and down-tuned but so what? It had amazing riffs and drumming. And of course a lot of troo/kult stuff gets praised for no musical reason. But on the whole I tend to think his reviews are pretty good.
Back to top Go down
bass63
Metal master
Metal master
bass63

Number of posts : 882

PostSubject: Re: Metal Magazines   Metal Magazines - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 18, 2014 3:47 pm

I use to read Circus, Creem, Hit Parader, Rock Scene, RIP, Metal Edge. Now I just read Classic Rock mag or AOR mag when I can get ahold of them.
Back to top Go down
Jaybird
Metal novice
Metal novice

Number of posts : 10

PostSubject: Re: Metal Magazines   Metal Magazines - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 18, 2014 5:28 pm

Metal Edge, Metal Maniacs, Circus, Hit Parader, Blast, and later on Heaven's Metal.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: Metal Magazines   Metal Magazines - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 18, 2014 5:45 pm

I have one issue of Snakepit in my magazine stash somewhere. It's hilariously in depth... the interviews/articles go on for pages 'n' pages n' pages in such tiny little type that it actually hurts my eyes after awhile....haha

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Metal Magazines   Metal Magazines - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 18, 2014 5:49 pm

I use to dig Kerrang back in the 80's as well. Use to pick it up at the record store and it was a little pricey.

Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Metal Magazines   Metal Magazines - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 18, 2014 5:54 pm

Yeah I forgot about Kerrang; that was my other favorite to flip through while ma did the grocery shopping. And Heaven's Metal was always pretty cool.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

PostSubject: Re: Metal Magazines   Metal Magazines - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 18, 2014 6:07 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
I have one issue of Snakepit in my magazine stash somewhere. It's hilariously in depth... the interviews/articles go on for pages 'n' pages n' pages in such tiny little type that it actually hurts my eyes after awhile....haha

I showed a copy to Mrs. Witchfinder. Upon opening it, she said, "This is triple column and 6 point type. How in the hell are you supposed to read this?" She also really enjoyed the amazing run-on sentences.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Metal Magazines   Metal Magazines - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 18, 2014 7:05 pm

Their memorial to Chuck Shuldiner was epic.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

PostSubject: Re: Metal Magazines   Metal Magazines - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 18, 2014 7:24 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
Their memorial to Chuck Shuldiner was epic.

It sure was.  

http://www.voicesfromthedarkside.de/Specials/A-TRIBUTE-TO-CHUCK-SCHULDINER--6794.html
Back to top Go down
brokentulsa
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
brokentulsa

Number of posts : 1779

PostSubject: Re: Metal Magazines   Metal Magazines - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 19, 2014 2:14 am

Creem..hit parader..kerrang..heavens metal..guitar world..classic rock magazine..
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26453

PostSubject: Re: Metal Magazines   Metal Magazines - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 19, 2014 11:18 pm

I used to read RIP,Circus,Metal Maniacs, Metal Edge, BW&BK and Heaven's Metal. Current reads are Decibel and Iron Fist. I'll occasionally pick up an issue of Terrorizer.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Metal Magazines   Metal Magazines - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Metal Magazines
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2