Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Grateful Dead-Terrapin Station

Go down 
+4
DeathCult
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
akeldama
SAHB Healer
8 posters
AuthorMessage
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

Grateful Dead-Terrapin Station Empty
PostSubject: Grateful Dead-Terrapin Station   Grateful Dead-Terrapin Station Icon_minitimeWed Jul 16, 2014 5:06 pm

Like many metalheads of the 70's, I was intrigued by their logo, but found their music to be lame. But I've always liked the Terrapin Station album. Good lite melodic prog rock I'd call it. Did they ever do anything else in this vein? I liked that album but never gave them a chance otherwise. The spectre of Bill Walton dancing creeped me out I guess so I didn't care to go there.
Back to top Go down
akeldama
Metal is Forever
akeldama

Number of posts : 7831

PostSubject: Re: Grateful Dead-Terrapin Station   Grateful Dead-Terrapin Station Icon_minitimeWed Jul 16, 2014 8:37 pm

I don't think they did anything else really close except maybe Blues For Allah, Mark.

My top 3 are as follows:

1. Blues For Allah
2. From The Mars Hotel
3. Wake Of The Flood
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

PostSubject: Re: Grateful Dead-Terrapin Station   Grateful Dead-Terrapin Station Icon_minitimeWed Jul 16, 2014 10:02 pm

Thanks Andres. I'm gonna pick up "Blues For". The other reason I think I might like more "Dead" is that I been grooving on some QSM and Man lately. If you want any Man I can hook you up.
I never appreciated Phish before until I saw them yesterday on TV, but after rocking lately to Man I could see maybe OK. And no, I been smoking nothing.  Not a puff for 5 years!
Back to top Go down
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

Number of posts : 2998

PostSubject: Re: Grateful Dead-Terrapin Station   Grateful Dead-Terrapin Station Icon_minitimeThu Jul 17, 2014 4:22 am

5 years?!?! How do you survive all of those obnoxious Packer fans???
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

PostSubject: Re: Grateful Dead-Terrapin Station   Grateful Dead-Terrapin Station Icon_minitimeThu Jul 17, 2014 8:01 am

UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS wrote:
5 years?!?!  How do you survive all of those obnoxious Packer fans???

Being a Packer fan and being stoned are pretty much the same thing, as far as I can tell, except the Packer fans drink more.
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

PostSubject: Re: Grateful Dead-Terrapin Station   Grateful Dead-Terrapin Station Icon_minitimeThu Jul 17, 2014 8:31 am

You know what one Dead Head said to the other when they ran out of weed?

Jesus Christ this band sucks.

Outside of a few songs from this album and American Beauty, the rest of the material is skippable.
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12766

PostSubject: Re: Grateful Dead-Terrapin Station   Grateful Dead-Terrapin Station Icon_minitimeThu Jul 17, 2014 8:59 am

DeathCult wrote:
You know what one Dead Head said to the other when they ran out of weed?

Jesus Christ this band sucks.

Outside of a few songs from this album and American Beauty, the rest of the material is skippable.
I skip most studio output after "Mars Hotel" and only listen to some live stuff from after 1974.  The live stuff with Pigpen is top shelf (IMHO)

I was gonna say "Blues for Allah" too

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

Number of posts : 1598

PostSubject: Re: Grateful Dead-Terrapin Station   Grateful Dead-Terrapin Station Icon_minitimeThu Jul 17, 2014 10:26 am

I'm still checking out their discography, but the trick with the Dead is that, while they're an utter @#$$ rock band, they're a ripping FOLK band. If you view them as a folk band, you tend to be kind of surprised when they do get a little grit and rock in what they do. If you view them as a rock band, you're forced to acknowledge that, for a band comprised of so many dudes, they sure lack balls.  Laughing 
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: Grateful Dead-Terrapin Station   Grateful Dead-Terrapin Station Icon_minitimeThu Jul 17, 2014 10:53 am

Never understood the whole DeadHead thing. I've had a few friends into it who've tried to "convert" me over the years, but aside from a few songs here & there they never grabbed me by the nards.

The only Dead album I'd own would be "Shakedown Street," mainly because the cover was drawn by one of my favorite cartoonists, Gilbert "Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers" Shelton. Very Happy

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

PostSubject: Re: Grateful Dead-Terrapin Station   Grateful Dead-Terrapin Station Icon_minitimeThu Jul 17, 2014 10:55 am

Runicen wrote:
I'm still checking out their discography, but the trick with the Dead is that, while they're an utter @#$$ rock band, they're a ripping FOLK band.  If you view them as a folk band, you tend to be kind of surprised when they do get a little grit and rock in what they do.  If you view them as a rock band, you're forced to acknowledge that, for a band comprised of so many dudes, they sure lack balls.   Laughing 
 The studio stuff barely touched base with what was brought to the table.

They were a great folk band but they also did a lot of psychedelic, jazz, and blues.   From their start to about 1974 is where you'll find the most creative and off the cuff playing.   It's great ambient music for wrenching on motorcycles or tinkering in the shop and long road trips in mundane landscapes.   Spot on regarding a lack of balls, but we have a lot of other bands for that.

Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

PostSubject: Re: Grateful Dead-Terrapin Station   Grateful Dead-Terrapin Station Icon_minitimeThu Jul 17, 2014 10:56 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
Never understood the whole DeadHead thing. I've had a few friends into it who've tried to "convert" me over the years, but aside from a few songs here & there they never grabbed me by the nards.

The only Dead album I'd own would be "Shakedown Street," mainly because the cover was drawn by one of my favorite cartoonists, Gilbert "Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers" Shelton.  Very Happy
Go Zap Comics

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: Grateful Dead-Terrapin Station   Grateful Dead-Terrapin Station Icon_minitimeThu Jul 17, 2014 10:58 am

James B. wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:

The only Dead album I'd own would be "Shakedown Street," mainly because the cover was drawn by one of my favorite cartoonists, Gilbert "Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers" Shelton.  Very Happy

Go Zap Comics

Wonder Warthog and Mister Natural! F*ck yeah! Laughing very hard Crumb and Shelton = best underground comics ever. No one else comes close.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

PostSubject: Re: Grateful Dead-Terrapin Station   Grateful Dead-Terrapin Station Icon_minitimeThu Jul 17, 2014 11:00 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
James B. wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:

Go Zap Comics

Wonder Warthog and Mister Natural! F*ck yeah! Laughing very hard Crumb and Shelton = best underground comics ever. No one else comes close.
Furry Freaks and Zippy The Pin-Head for me....all of it was great stuff

Metal is Forever
akeldama

Number of posts : 7831

PostSubject: Re: Grateful Dead-Terrapin Station   Grateful Dead-Terrapin Station Icon_minitimeThu Jul 17, 2014 6:08 pm

SAHB Healer wrote:
Thanks Andres. I'm gonna pick up "Blues For". The other reason I think I might like more "Dead" is that I been grooving on some QSM and Man lately. If you want any Man I can hook you up.
I never appreciated Phish before until I saw them yesterday on TV, but after rocking lately to Man I could see maybe OK. And no, I been smoking nothing.  Not a puff for 5 years!

Yeah, that'd be kewl man. If it's easier I can also pass you at least my top 3 Dead albums in expanded edition on a flash drive but if you prefer discs I can do that as well.
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: Grateful Dead-Terrapin Station   Grateful Dead-Terrapin Station Icon_minitimeThu Jul 17, 2014 7:45 pm

Terrapin Station is the only Dead album that I really dig. I've always been a Jefferson Airplane person when it comes to the SF scene.
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

PostSubject: Re: Grateful Dead-Terrapin Station   Grateful Dead-Terrapin Station Icon_minitimeThu Jul 17, 2014 7:57 pm

Me too Joe, my fave Jefferson album was "Dragonfly" which like Terrapin wasn't probably considered a classic by the afficianados, but I liked it anyway.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Grateful Dead-Terrapin Station   Grateful Dead-Terrapin Station Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Grateful Dead-Terrapin Station
Page 1 of 1